General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Chevy Cobalt Sport '08

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevy Cobalt Sport '08

So I bought this car for three reasons:
  • It looked very sharp and newish. Always wanted a cobalt after playing Need for Speed and Gran Turismo
  • It had under 50,000 miles and was in my price range
  • It was peppy, but didn't have SC or TC which is what I wanted to start with.

So the full name I was given for it was a "2008 Chevy Cobalt Sports Coupe 2D" it has the LE5 2.4L engine, so that was nice. I personally was just wanting to get rid of my 2000 Altima GXE with 140,000 miles. Grandma car, none the less.

My main question at this point is this: Is it a decent car, and as far as building onto, is it worth doing such?

I am content with the way it is, don't get me wrong. Only owned the vehicle for 4 months, but I know it's a keeper. Hell, everyone loves it as far as friends go, and think it's nice and sharp... which in all honesty, having a nice car always makes a person feel better.. just like a haircut. In the mean time, feedback would be awesome.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the sports are pretty shweet man. It's a nice car for the money cant go wrong with a nice looking cheap car.....right? lol
Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 PM

Lol good point, and yea your right. Just worried about the long run. Buyers remorse, everyone has it I guess.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 PM

You've..... always wanted a cobalt... really? lol na I like my car.. but i says you shoulda got a sc for cheapss.. its a couple folk on here that've turbo'd or sc'd their 2.4's so imm sure you'll have fun with it
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 AM

As a 2.4 owner, I love my car but my primary reason for owning it is ruthless insurance on pretty much everything else. If you are not a teenager such as myself and/or your insurance is not sky high I highly suggest to people looking for 2.4's that they research and try to find an '07 LSJ with relatively low mileage that is not beat to crap.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Slay
  • It looked very sharp and newish. Always wanted a cobalt after playing Need for Speed and Gran Turismo
  • It had under 50,000 miles and was in my price range
  • It was peppy, but didn't have SC or TC which is what I wanted to start with.

So the full name I was given for it was a "2008 Chevy Cobalt Sports Coupe 2D" it has the LE5 2.4L engine, so that was nice. I personally was just wanting to get rid of my 2000 Altima GXE with 140,000 miles. Grandma car, none the less.

My main question at this point is this: Is it a decent car, and as far as building onto, is it worth doing such?

I am content with the way it is, don't get me wrong. Only owned the vehicle for 4 months, but I know it's a keeper. Hell, everyone loves it as far as friends go, and think it's nice and sharp... which in all honesty, having a nice car always makes a person feel better.. just like a haircut. In the mean time, feedback would be awesome.
It's a hell of a nice car for the price! 171 HP on a 2800 lb car is pretty nice. It also has an upgraded suspension to boot:

The 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS and LT models are powered by a 148-horsepower 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine and ride on the softer FE1 suspension, which includes a 19mm anti-roll bar in front and a16mm bar in the rear.

The Chevy Cobalt Sport gets a 171-hp 2.4-liter four-cylinder and benefits from the firmer FE3 suspension, with 22-mm front and rear anti-roll bars, four-wheel-disc brakes, and 17-inch wheels and performance tires.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Shouldn't those be in the same price range as a used SC?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Banned

I have an 08, and yes, it is a decent car.

For mods, initially, I would get an intake, a downpipe, and a tune. After that, how deep is your pocket?

-Intakes are like religion. Everybody has their favourite. Bottom line. No real difference. (I've got a K&N)
-Exhaust. Get a downpipe. The cheapest and best bang for the buck, is the LSJ. (Don't bother with a cat back. No real gains. Only noise.)
-Tune. Again like religion. Personally I lean towards Trifecta. Every Tom, Dick and Harry who has HPT is a self proclaimed expert. I suspect that Vince has more experience than most of these "Saturday" tuners put together.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dave7417
I have an 08, and yes, it is a decent car.

For mods, initially, I would get an intake, a downpipe, and a tune. After that, how deep is your pocket?

-Intakes are like religion. Everybody has their favourite. Bottom line. No real difference. (I've got a K&N)
-Exhaust. Get a downpipe. The cheapest and best bang for the buck, is the LSJ. (Don't bother with a cat back. No real gains. Only noise.)
-Tune. Again like religion. Personally I lean towards Trifecta. Every Tom, Dick and Harry who has HPT is a self proclaimed expert. I suspect that Vince has more experience than most of these "Saturday" tuners put together.
Good deal good deal. K&N still seems the best way to go on my part as far as quality goes.
This is the one I'm looking at right now: 69-4517TTK - K&N 69 Series Typhoon Kits, Performance Intake Kit

Now as far as downpipe goes.. I did a little searching, by little I mean literally spent a little less than 20 minutes trying to understand what a downpipe is for. Trying to grasp if it leads right off the manifold or from the cat, and how much wielding I'll be needing to do.

For tuning, I never really thought much into programming the chips to make it more effective. New it worked well for bigger sized engines, but if there is a significant gain (which it does seem worth while especially for a price like ~$250) I might as well try it. Trifecta seems to have a nice breakdown of everything, and I keep seeing it's name pop up on the forums, so I expect nothing but good then.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 AM

hey man, there are some good guys around here that have some pretty good knowledge about the balts. check out our local thread.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/mid-...cobalts-22007/
Old 01-14-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mccullj
hey man, there are some good guys around here that have some pretty good knowledge about the balts. check out our local thread.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/mid-...cobalts-22007/
Your actually closer to me than Louisville lol. I put Louisville to be discrete plus I figured Louisville would be the most populated/known area. Looks like I under estimated how big the community is
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 AM

Good deal good deal. K&N still seems the best way to go on my part as far as quality goes.
This is the one I'm looking at right now: 69-4517TTK - K&N 69 Series Typhoon Kits, Performance Intake Kit

Now as far as downpipe goes.. I did a little searching, by little I mean literally spent a little less than 20 minutes trying to understand what a downpipe is for. Trying to grasp if it leads right off the manifold or from the cat, and how much wielding I'll be needing to do.

For tuning, I never really thought much into programming the chips to make it more effective. New it worked well for bigger sized engines, but if there is a significant gain (which it does seem worth while especially for a price like ~$250) I might as well try it. Trifecta seems to have a nice breakdown of everything, and I keep seeing it's name pop up on the forums, so I expect nothing but good then.

Any thoughts?
I have an 08 Sport and have been pretty happy with it. As far as the exhaust as long as you research what fits and works together you wont have to weld anything all bolt and go stuff.

My car feels completely different than it did stock. And im much happier with it now than I was when it was stock.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

I always liked the 2.4 SS/NA's and newer sports as a good replacement for the late Z24 cavy's . The cobalt's make 20 or so more horsepower but the added weight of the cobalt puts it in roughly the same performance category as the older 2.4L Z's .
Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
lol I own an '06 Ss n/a, I dont know how the autragics are but the standards have some giddy up and enough torque to keep a smirk on your face

the 2.4 cobalts seem to be kind of the black sheep of the cobalt world, they dont really get a tonne of respect either haha! oh well I love mine and nothing can change that, congratulations man the Le5 is a fantastic engine hope you enjoy it.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats i have an 06 2.4 as well

the motors are pretty stout i have over 50 passes and 123,7xx miles on it. no issues at all. with just and intake and a cat back the car has gone 14.9 @93 on street tires. and these cars love boost. if you get serious, get another motor and build it the 08's had cheaper rods than the forged ones in the 06-07 2.4's.

I have the K&N intake and have no complaints.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM

It's a nice car, my first car was a 06 SS 2.4L sedan I loved it. Was planning on doing some stuff to it before I wrecked it I think you'll be happy with it as long as you do what you want to it, don't ask on here "Should I do this?" because you'll have half of the people saying Oh hell no that would be so stupid! and the other half saying Do it! so just do what you feel. Definitely boost it! My advice would be to start with performance mods and dont put on the SC/TC lips on to keep it kinda sleeper'ish because if you get it going kinda fast you'll surprise a lot of people that think "Oh I can kill this thing it's not even a SC/TC"
Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee
I always liked the 2.4 SS/NA's and newer sports as a good replacement for the late Z24 cavy's . The cobalt's make 20 or so more horsepower but the added weight of the cobalt puts it in roughly the same performance category as the older 2.4L Z's .
Curb weights are close..maybe 50lb more on Cobalt vs Z24.

Speaking of the Z24..check this factoid:

A GM Eaton M45 Supercharger kit was also offered for the Z24 trim as well. The supercharger kit was developed and tested by General Motors and could only be installed at a GM dealer. This upgrade drastically increased performance due to a pressure of 4.7 PSI which in turn added approximately 40 hp (30 kW) and 40 lbˇft (54 Nˇm) of torque increase; raising the Z24's ratings to approximately 190 hp (142 kW) and 195 lbˇft (264 Nˇm) of torque
Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ronn
Curb weights are close..maybe 50lb more on Cobalt vs Z24.

Speaking of the Z24..check this factoid:

A GM Eaton M45 Supercharger kit was also offered for the Z24 trim as well. The supercharger kit was developed and tested by General Motors and could only be installed at a GM dealer. This upgrade drastically increased performance due to a pressure of 4.7 PSI which in turn added approximately 40 hp (30 kW) and 40 lbˇft (54 Nˇm) of torque increase; raising the Z24's ratings to approximately 190 hp (142 kW) and 195 lbˇft (264 Nˇm) of torque
Yeah, i looked at picking up a cheap Z24 and putting this kit on. It was only like $1500 IIRC.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

Congrats! My buddy has one & he loves it! Sure its not boosted but N/A 4cyl IMO is pretty peppy for stock. Have fun w/it & take care of her!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
FYI the most satisfying visual mod you can do to the sports/SSNA is the Boosted SS lips, they make a HUUUGE difference
Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by StevoElSupremo
FYI the most satisfying visual mod you can do to the sports/SSNA is the Boosted SS lips, they make a HUUUGE difference
though lowering and 18 inch rims definitely help as well. I havent done the lip yet. But plan on it.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 PM

What do you guys mean by the 'lip' this is probably lingo fail on my part.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 PM

What do you guys mean by the 'lip' this is probably lingo fail on my part.
Turbo and supercharged Cobalts came with an additional bit of bodykit attatched to their front and rear bumpers. people refer to these as "lips" look up a picture of either of these models and compare their front bumpers with yours and you will see what we are talking about.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 PM

Ah figure you meant bumpers but eh. Yeah I've seen the difference.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Banned

I used to own a 06 2.4 SS. I did enjoy the car.

Quick Reply: Chevy Cobalt Sport '08