General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cobalt SS 2.4 vs. 2.0 SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay a few points before this turns into another 2.4 vs 2.0 flame war

1) The 2.0 not only has an ENTIRELY different engine including upgraded internals, oil squirters, intercooler etc. It also has an overhauled suspension, exhaust, wheel/tire, transmission,etc. All this in addition to the supercharger. The 2.4 has no business being compared to a SS/SC in regards to performance, i don't care what numbers your looking at.

2) Though opinions differ on the look of the 2.0 interior, it is not a downgrade from the more "luxurious" 2.4 interior. Its got titanium for crying out loud! So saying the 2.4 interior is better than the other is strictly an opinion.

3) Theres nothing wrong with the 2.4, especially if you want a sporty/economical ride for a cheaper price than the 2.0. I totally understand peoples interest in the 2.4, especially if they want a four door balt. Heck, i'm trying to talk my buddy into buying one right now!!

HOWEVER, do not justify the purchase of a 2.4 by saying it is in anyway higher quality than the 2.0. Your comparing a mid trim vehicle to the highest trim vehicle, so despite opinions and gas mileage, there is no legitimate argument in favor of the 2.4. Theres a price difference for a reason.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by LandonElf
Okay a few points before this turns into another 2.4 vs 2.0 flame war

1) The 2.0 not only has an ENTIRELY different engine including upgraded internals, oil squirters, intercooler etc. It also has an overhauled suspension, exhaust, wheel/tire, transmission,etc. All this in addition to the supercharger. The 2.4 has no business being compared to a SS/SC in regards to performance, i don't care what numbers your looking at.

2) Though opinions differ on the look of the 2.0 interior, it is not a downgrade from the more "luxurious" 2.4 interior. Its got titanium for crying out loud! So saying the 2.4 interior is better than the other is strictly an opinion.

3) Theres nothing wrong with the 2.4, especially if you want a sporty/economical ride for a cheaper price than the 2.0. I totally understand peoples interest in the 2.4, especially if they want a four door balt. Heck, i'm trying to talk my buddy into buying one right now!!

HOWEVER, do not justify the purchase of a 2.4 by saying it is in anyway higher quality than the 2.0. Your comparing a mid trim vehicle to the highest trim vehicle, so despite opinions and gas mileage, there is no legitimate argument in favor of the 2.4. Theres a price difference for a reason.
actually some 2.4s cost more and they do have oil squirters etc...
Old 01-29-2007, 04:47 PM

im almost positive u can get black seats and doors sills with your ss/sc without G85...

without the wing, the ss/na and ss/sc look (almost) identical.. sure WE all can tell, but to the average person, the same.

if you want an automatic, or a 4 door for that metter.. u have no choice in the matter (ss/sc is only stick and a coupe)

ss/na has zero performance benefits over ss/sc, torque included

the ss/na has no luxury benefits over the ss/sc--silly people.. and neither does the ss/sc over the ss/na

the armrest is an option.. u want the armrest, go spend the 30$ at chevy and get urself one

speaking of this... theres a red ss/na by my house that i pass by every day, and he has the supercharged badges on his car and every day i wanna rip them off bc he isnt supercharged (i kno this) n it pisses me off
Old 01-29-2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by PuSha050
im almost positive u can get black seats and doors sills with your ss/sc without G85...

without the wing, the ss/na and ss/sc look (almost) identical.. sure WE all can tell, but to the average person, the same.

if you want an automatic, or a 4 door for that metter.. u have no choice in the matter (ss/sc is only stick and a coupe)

ss/na has zero performance benefits over ss/sc, torque included

the ss/na has no luxury benefits over the ss/sc--silly people.. and neither does the ss/sc over the ss/na

the armrest is an option.. u want the armrest, go spend the 30$ at chevy and get urself one

speaking of this... theres a red ss/na by my house that i pass by every day, and he has the supercharged badges on his car and every day i wanna rip them off bc he isnt supercharged (i kno this) n it pisses me off
you should rip those badges off his car,I hate fake badges
Old 01-29-2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by g5mike
actually some 2.4s cost more and they do have oil squirters etc...
Well, heck i'm sure somebody somewhere paid more for there SS than somebody somewhere else paid for there SS/SC, but dont you agree that in general the SS/SC costs at least 2-3 grand more than the SS? If you dont' then

But seriously, the 2.4 have oil squirters? Are you sure? Is the engine alluminum too? I've been bragging about having an alluminum engine and now i feel like an idiot if all 2.4s have them too.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:59 PM

Well, heck i'm sure somebody somewhere paid more for there SS than somebody somewhere else paid for there SS/SC, but dont you agree that in general the SS/SC costs at least 2-3 grand more than the SS? If you dont' then

But seriously, the 2.4 have oil squirters? Are you sure? Is the engine alluminum too? I've been bragging about having an alluminum engine and now i feel like an idiot if all 2.4s have them too.
The 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4 are all aluminum blocks/heads.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:59 PM

you are right some 2.4 owners paid too much for their cars,all three models are aluninum block,and yeah the 2.4 has squirters,
Old 01-29-2007, 05:02 PM

you are right some 2.4 owners paid too much for their cars,all three models are aluninum block,and yeah the 2.4 has squirters,
Well slap me around and call me Susan. I never knew all cobalts were aluminum blocks.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Well slap me around and call me Susan. I never knew all cobalts were aluminum blocks.
whats the name LandonElf stand for
Old 01-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Why would you want a manual for a DD? Doesn't anyone else zone out when they drive?
Read a book, check the newspaper, type on their laptop, eat some OH ****!!sarysrdah
<crash>

This debate will never end. Some newbie will always bring it up.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by monkeiboy
Why would you want a manual for a DD? Doesn't anyone else zone out when they drive?
Read a book, check the newspaper, type on their laptop, eat some OH ****!!sarysrdah
<crash>

I agree,some days in traffic,I wish mine was automatic without a doubt
Old 01-29-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove the 2.4SS before I bought the SS/SC and the 2.4 is nice but their way differant cars.....Handling, performance, looks, everything....I agree the clutch is kinda like an on/off switch, and takes some getting used too, but i had mine for about 6months/almost 30000kms and its drives awsome, no problems...you have to drive it for a little while to get use to the extra power.....its not like you can just punch it while doing 10mph in 1st and not expect any wheel hopping.....if you are worried about the shift feel, the "on/off switch" feel, get some motor mounts or ETD to fix that and fix wheel hopping issues. as for looks the only differance is bigger rims 17" vs 18", the wing which you can get a small wing on the ss/sc as an option now. The body kit is the same, the ss/sc just has a "lip" kit added to it, which is way better. the ss/sc is lower and has a way better suspension. better/stronger tranny, better/more powerful engine.

If you want a sporty car that has abit extra power for passing people, good gas millage,etc.... go for the 2.4ss

If you want a sport compact, that has power, can be modded easily to just under 300whp, handles/corners awsome, great striaghtline performance, while still getting pretty good gas millage, etc.... go for the ss/sc
Old 01-29-2007, 05:09 PM

whats the name LandonElf stand for
It has been my gamertag on Xbox live forever. One of my buddies said i looked like an elf cause i have pointy ears/nose and a girlish frame, and unfortunately it stuck.

Why do all the gay names stick? Why couldn't i have gotten stuck with something like " Captain Awesome"

By the way, got any times out of that G5 yet? Your modds seem to be the most on a 2.4 that i have seen.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:12 PM

It has been my gamertag on Xbox live forever. One of my buddies said i looked like an elf cause i have pointy ears/nose and a girlish frame, and unfortunately it stuck.

Why do all the gay names stick? Why couldn't i have gotten stuck with something like " Captain Awesome"

By the way, got any times out of that G5 yet? Your modds seem to be the most on a 2.4 that i have seen.
little too chilly up here for the track yet.lol..Im not really into the whole 1/4 mile thing would prefer street track racing

Originally Posted by rick1217
I test drove the 2.4SS before I bought the SS/SC and the 2.4 is nice but their way differant cars.....Handling, performance, looks, everything....I agree the clutch is kinda like an on/off switch, and takes some getting used too, but i had mine for about 6months/almost 30000kms and its drives awsome, no problems...you have to drive it for a little while to get use to the extra power.....its not like you can just punch it while doing 10mph in 1st and not expect any wheel hopping.....if you are worried about the shift feel, the "on/off switch" feel, get some motor mounts or ETD to fix that and fix wheel hopping issues. as for looks the only differance is bigger rims 17" vs 18", the wing which you can get a small wing on the ss/sc as an option now. The body kit is the same, the ss/sc just has a "lip" kit added to it, which is way better. the ss/sc is lower and has a way better suspension. better/stronger tranny, better/more powerful engine.

If you want a sporty car that has abit extra power for passing people, good gas millage,etc.... go for the 2.4ss

If you want a sport compact, that has power, can be modded easily to just under 300whp, handles/corners awsome, great striaghtline performance, while still getting pretty good gas millage, etc.... go for the ss/sc
excellent write-up

Last edited by g5mike; 01-29-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-29-2007, 06:41 PM

excellent write-up
Thanks
i thought the 2.4 guys were not going to agree with it.....i almost bought a 2.4/ss, i just had to sign the papers but wanted to see a ss/sc and went to another dealer and i test drove it and bought it the same day.....

both nice cars, but like what it says on the back of Ricky Bobbys car...."I WANNA GO FAST"
Old 01-29-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by css9450
I don't consider the 2.4 a downgrade at all. I like the all-black leather interior 100% better than the silly colors of the SC,
You do realise that black on black is a color option for the 2.0 too right?

My car is black exterior with black on black interior.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:47 PM

all the ss/sc writes ups are on the money,and unbiased these cars are what they are,just look at the hp ratings and that says it all,I bought my 2.4 knowing this and I wanted it,if I still wanted power I would have stuck with my vibe gt,cause i have not seen a cobalt yet on this site to match it
Old 01-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
You do realise that black on black is a color option for the 2.0 too right?

My car is black exterior with black on black interior.
Like I said earlier in the thread, I didn't know that. I've seen all the other colored inserts but not black.

Its got titanium for crying out loud!

I may be a senile old guy so you'll have to fill me in on what's titanium on these cars.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:29 PM

don't forget the brakes! PLus 2.4 have vastly upgraded suspension from the 2.2---though not as rock hard as the S/C
Old 01-30-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by monkeiboy
<crash>

I know im gettin a manual but im gonna miss textin the most definitely. Maybe once i get used to stick il be able to do it but not as easily. I like to do stuff while drivin but a manual is definitely worth it because autos are really slow, especially wit 120hp.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by PolishPauL
I know im gettin a manual but im gonna miss textin the most definitely. Maybe once i get used to stick il be able to do it but not as easily. I like to do stuff while drivin but a manual is definitely worth it because autos are really slow, especially wit 120hp.
Why would you think that the automatics are slow? All the 2.4l needs is a simple tranny tune and it's a freaking BEAST for a naturally aspirated four banger. Even the SS/SC guys will vouch for that.
Plus an auto will put down more consistent track times. (You can't miss a shift without driver error).
The only major disadvantages are the extra cost and extra weight.
Granted a Good* driver will rip up an auto with a manual in the same car. Those driver's will also not knock a car just because it isn't stick.

*Good defined as years of experience, wisdom, practice, and skill. Not 18 yr old that beats up on Hondas on the interstate.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:05 PM

Can some one post a pic of a cobalt ss / na and an ss/sc right next to eachother i wanna compare the from facias. thanx
Old 01-30-2007, 03:18 PM

The first black is a 2.4, the first red is a 2.0

Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by javit24
Can some one post a pic of a cobalt ss / na and an ss/sc right next to eachother i wanna compare the from facias. thanx
just get an G5 ,they look better.lol
Old 01-30-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by PolishPauL
WTF?

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS 2.4 vs. 2.0 SC