General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cobalt SS 2.4 vs. 2.0 SC

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackalope
Here comes the ultimate slap to the face of the few ass hat 2.0 owners out there (you know who you are) Hahn just released thier 2.4 turbo kit for the automatic Cobalt SS 2.4 and it puts down between 230 and 240 WHEEL HORSE POWER at between 8 to 10 psi! Total cost is projected at under $4000! So for the difference in price between the two SS's the 2.4 with the Hahn will be faster.

And with the automatic we have no missed shifts, remote start from the factory, and we can drive in rush hour traffic without making our left legs tired.

That is all have a good night.
welcome to the world of wheel hop gl with ur axles. Pretty much everyone is finacning there car so the whole ricer math with my car being this much less means i have this much more to spend to be eqaul is bs don't start
Old 06-09-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
welcome to the world of wheel hop gl with ur axles. Pretty much everyone is finacning there car so the whole ricer math with my car being this much less means i have this much more to spend to be eqaul is bs don't start
Hahn CLAIMS zero wheel hop. I dunno but I'll let you know in a couple months when I get it.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Hahn CLAIMS zero wheel hop. I dunno but I'll let you know in a couple months when I get it.
correct I will be getting this kit as well.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:32 PM

And did you see? They are trying to get FINANCING! I think I just blew a load in my shorts!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:42 PM

And did you see? They are trying to get FINANCING! I think I just blew a load in my shorts!
haha yea, i think everyone with a job is gonna get this turbo kit. they are going to make a **** load of money tho. its a really good idea, not only getting their money for the parts, but collecting interest.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by WickedSS2005

To the OP: If you're not looking for power, then go with the 2.4.
If you're looking for a little less power, you make it sound like the 2.4 has no power, it has good power.

the SS/NA has 37 lbs torque less
thats not a HUGE difference

a difference in ~30HP // 175 and 205

Being the owner of a 2.4SS, the SCs looks very very sexy and probably perform at the top of their game, but it doesn't make me feel bad.

EITHER CHOICE YOU MAKE IS A GOOD CHOICE

The cobalt is a nice ass car, we can beat alot of cars on the road, and with the SC even more
Old 06-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by SredS
If you're looking for a little less power, you make it sound like the 2.4 has no power, it has good power.

Being the owner of a 2.4SS, the SCs looks very very sexy and probably perform at the top of their game, but it doesn't make me feel bad.

The cobalt is a nice ass car, we can beat alot of cars on the road, and with the SC even more
yea on the high way doing a roll. the sc barely beat me lol. like it slowly pulled out infront, from about 50 to 100 the SC was maybe ahead by 1 car. so i mean yea they are faster but not THAT much faster. even tho in the 1/4 from the line and everything they have us for breakfast.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SredS

I agree with you that the ss/na has some nice power.
Dont pay attention to the elitist punks who think they are god cuz mom decided to cosign them for the ss/sc instead of the base model.

but your numbers are a bit off.
thats what the factory says.
the dyno says different....
Its closer to 50whp 45tq
Old 06-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSergeant
I think the 'zero wheel hop' may come from that Hahn's main test vehicle was an auto. I'd image autos would have less wheel hop, plus you guys have that traction control **** built in...

Plus it seems that Hahn's kit in Stage II is geared towards mid-range and top end power, so I'd image that from a sub-3000 rpm launch the 2.4 would be pretty much the same as stock until the boost kicks in.
most likely, off the line you always have turbo lag anways.. but i cant wait
Old 06-09-2007, 08:44 PM

I think the 'zero wheel hop' may come from that Hahn's main test vehicle was an auto. I'd image autos would have less wheel hop, plus you guys have that traction control **** built in...

Plus it seems that Hahn's kit in Stage II is geared towards mid-range and top end power, so I'd image that from a sub-3000 rpm launch the 2.4 would be pretty much the same as stock until the boost kicks in.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:28 PM

Sometimes I wish I would have just gotten the 2.4L isntead of the 2.0L. I'd like an easier drive sometimes....but then I get on it, and I remember why I bought the 2.0L.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:36 PM

i im glad i didnt get the 2.4 its too slow i dont even have the money for the S/C and i got it anyway!!!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by DarkSergeant

Hahn claims tire smoking burnouts from a stop are no problem so its got it down low too. Look at the dyno graph and its showing around 200 hp by like 20mph!

Originally Posted by INFE
i im glad i didnt get the 2.4 its too slow i dont even have the money for the S/C and i got it anyway!!!!!
Considering the 2.4 is the FASTEST 4cylinder car sold under $20,000 I think your statement is a tad off. BTW thats not me saying it is but rather I believe it was Motor Trend so if you have an issue with them giving the 2.4 the title.

Thats ok 2.0 flamers keep it up your days are numbered! I'll have the Hahn turbo on by summers end and be putting 240HP to the wheels and then I'll invite you to the track to put your money where your mouth is.

Last edited by Jackalope; 06-11-2007 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by an0malous
I agree with you that the ss/na has some nice power.
Dont pay attention to the elitist punks who think they are god cuz mom decided to cosign them for the ss/sc instead of the base model.

but your numbers are a bit off.
thats what the factory says.
the dyno says different....
Its closer to 50whp 45tq
hey
thanks for the correction

and yeah exactly, some people get a little too, let's say, cocky when it comes to SS/SC and SS/NA

thanks for the back up

BTW sick ass car, the black on black looks so good it's scary

Originally Posted by fbaero10
yea on the high way doing a roll. the sc barely beat me lol. like it slowly pulled out infront, from about 50 to 100 the SC was maybe ahead by 1 car. so i mean yea they are faster but not THAT much faster. even tho in the 1/4 from the line and everything they have us for breakfast.
hahahaha

yeah we're not incapable, some people make it sound like the 2.4 is laughable compared to the 2.0, but we're not that far behind. Hell with that hahn turbo kit, we're right on par with them

Last edited by SredS; 06-11-2007 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-11-2007, 07:03 AM

The 2.4's are pretty quick they have a decent amount of torque and pull hard throughout the RPM band, but from a 50mph roll is a bad spot for the 2.0..Second gear is just about run out, and it is a bit early for third for power. 60-65 in third is a bit stronger, and I'd say around 40 maybe 45 in second would be the highest to hit it for a pretty strong pull.

Either way, I do agree that there are people that think that the 2.0 is almighty and unbeatable, don't stress the lil **** man.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 AM

Hahn claims tire smoking burnouts from a stop are no problem so its got it down low too. Look at the dyno graph and its showing around 200 hp by like 20mph!

Considering the 2.4 is the FASTEST 4cylinder car sold under $20,000 I think your statement is a tad off. BTW thats not me saying it is but rather I believe it was Motor Trend so if you have an issue with them giving the 2.4 the title.

Thats ok 2.0 flamers keep it up your days are numbered! I'll have the Hahn turbo on by summers end and be putting 240HP to the wheels and then I'll invite you to the track to put your money where your mouth is.
you should not run your mouth if you are only putting down 240whp with 4k into your car... i was putting down more than that with 700 into my car.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:01 PM

you should not run your mouth if you are only putting down 240whp with 4k into your car... i was putting down more than that with 700 into my car.
And..... I can and will run it, you could say I'm a motor mouth! In fact that motor is a blown nitro 5000 hp funny car motor!

My 2.4 SS cost me $10,000 NEW from GM about 8 months ago, so I add $4000 for a turbo and a couple hundred more for a nice cat back and I'm making as much if not MORE hp then the 2.0 SC cars for about $5000 less then you. Sweet huh?

BTW just for the record I'm not interested in owning a race car, I've been there and done that (to the tune of an 11 sec street car about 10 years ago) so the fact that you maaaay be able to squeek by me on the track is cool with me, but I don't have to worry about a clutch, launcing a very tempramental supercharged FWD car, and I have 2 extra doors for my kids to be able to get in and out of.

But my offer stands, I'll race anyone anytime anywhere at any track. If I lose thats cool but I WON'T BACK DOWN FROM ANY CHALLENGE SO BRING IT!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 PM

haha same here

once i turbo mine, im going to make sure i have the 2.4 badge on my car. to let the 2.0's know they just got handed to..
lol. that would be nice my 2.4 coupe being a state 2 2.0 ... we'll hafta see what we can come up with.

Last edited by fbaero10; 06-11-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-11-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you know....sometimes you 2.2/2.4s need to get off 2.0 guys nuts too.

there are some retards who think their 2.0 is the greatest.
but some of us nicer people who just love cars and cobalts in general....
get a little ****** tired of

"zomg wait till i turbo and smoake all yall 2.0s yahhhhh"

why dont you go smoke some RSXs or some new GT mustangs....
why you gotta always bring it back to a vs 2.0 thing.

theres plenty of this stupid **** from both sides of the fence here.
why dont you all put your egos down and just start being car enthusiasts.
instead of ricer punks who only car about who can beat who.

if some smartass gives you lip about your type of car. tell him hes a tard and move on.
dont try and justify yourself to someone who just SHOWED you how stupid he is.

be the bigger person and walk away.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:52 PM

if some smartass gives you lip about your type of car. tell him hes a tard and move on.

yes this i understand. its not so much us smoking them, its just in every thread some 2.0 rags on everyones cause "we couldnt afford" the SC... it gets old. but hey i just appreciate all cobalts. my fiance has an ls. and its still a lil sexy beast
Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM

And..... I can and will run it, you could say I'm a motor mouth! In fact that motor is a blown nitro 5000 hp funny car motor!

My 2.4 SS cost me $10,000 NEW from GM about 8 months ago, so I add $4000 for a turbo and a couple hundred more for a nice cat back and I'm making as much if not MORE hp then the 2.0 SC cars for about $5000 less then you. Sweet huh?

BTW just for the record I'm not interested in owning a race car, I've been there and done that (to the tune of an 11 sec street car about 10 years ago) so the fact that you maaaay be able to squeek by me on the track is cool with me, but I don't have to worry about a clutch, launcing a very tempramental supercharged FWD car, and I have 2 extra doors for my kids to be able to get in and out of.

But my offer stands, I'll race anyone anytime anywhere at any track. If I lose thats cool but I WON'T BACK DOWN FROM ANY CHALLENGE SO BRING IT!
i am finacing my car your point is not valid with all the well you car cost this much more...
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM

Your right man, its just we've been raged on so many times that now we stand to be as fast as the SC guys and some of them seem to be getting butt hurt over it. I'm all for a little same car rivalery thats done in fun, but some people get pissy when they see they may have to WORK to hold us off anymore.

i am finacing my car your point is not valid with all the well you car cost this much more...
And yet strangly yours is? Hmm, thats odd.

Last edited by Jackalope; 06-11-2007 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-16-2007, 12:47 PM

You'll be pleased to learn that we've already pushed the stock 2.4 to well over 400 engine HP in our Solstice program, and had no issues. Does this mean we are advocating 450 HP stock 2.4's? Not really...the intention of this 'search for the limit' is more about demonstrating that if the engine will withstand 450 HP, it should be very durable and long-lived at the 300 or so HP that the majority of our prospective customers will operate at.

LE5 has a number of 'gifts' from GM. I began dismantling, studying and comparing them over a year ago, and this is one fine engine internally! Some of the notable features:

* Forged connecting rods
* Friction coated pistons w/internal oilcooling passages
* Oil sprayers below pistons to move oil into the oilcooling passages
* Floating wrist pins with bushed rod small ends
* Tapered rod small ends and piston pin bosses for additional wrist pin support

All this makes for one durable sonofabitch, especially as compared to the earlier L61 2.2's which feature powdered metal con rods that limit them to a safe 300HP maximum.

It's not a reach to say that the LE5 is very similar in internal features to the LSJ, just 20% bigger! 20% is a bunch...in V8 parlance, it's equivalent to the difference between a 350 and a 427!

and vvt helps power not gas mileage it's sole purpose is to maximize efficiency so it create good power

they're both amazing choices... for some people it's the money issue... 18-19K vs 21-22K

the two platforms are alot more similar than the 2.0 fanbois would like to admit. have a 2.4L ion and i love it acceleration is awesome handling is awesome... I had the choice ( and the money) to buy a red line when I bought my car and I didn't for many reasons.. one reason is I wanted to be different... I actually don't like cars that come tricked out from the dealership.. they're nice and all but I like having the satisfaction of doing things myself.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by geffen928
Thanks for the input so far.......I just wanted to get the thoughts of some people that are living with these cars day to day. I just think the 2.4 looks to be a cleaner execution of the design. This might be in part due to my age.....i'm 42. I'm sure that i'm not in the segment of buyers that GM designed this car to appeal to. I don't want a car that's a beast when the throttle is to the floor......I want something that is fun to drive the other99.9% of the time. I bought a brand new '05 GTO 6Speed about 2 years ago....killer HP...but not fun to live with on a daily basis......I took that pig to Carmax.

Anymore thoughts??

Geffen928
Hey don't bring age into it... my pops is 50 and he drives a victory red Cobalt SS/SC with me!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
You'll be pleased to learn that we've already pushed the stock 2.4 to well over 400 engine HP in our Solstice program, and had no issues. Does this mean we are advocating 450 HP stock 2.4's? Not really...the intention of this 'search for the limit' is more about demonstrating that if the engine will withstand 450 HP, it should be very durable and long-lived at the 300 or so HP that the majority of our prospective customers will operate at.

LE5 has a number of 'gifts' from GM. I began dismantling, studying and comparing them over a year ago, and this is one fine engine internally! Some of the notable features:

* Forged connecting rods
* Friction coated pistons w/internal oilcooling passages
* Oil sprayers below pistons to move oil into the oilcooling passages
* Floating wrist pins with bushed rod small ends
* Tapered rod small ends and piston pin bosses for additional wrist pin support

All this makes for one durable sonofabitch, especially as compared to the earlier L61 2.2's which feature powdered metal con rods that limit them to a safe 300HP maximum.

It's not a reach to say that the LE5 is very similar in internal features to the LSJ, just 20% bigger! 20% is a bunch...in V8 parlance, it's equivalent to the difference between a 350 and a 427!

and vvt helps power not gas mileage it's sole purpose is to maximize efficiency so it create good power

they're both amazing choices... for some people it's the money issue... 18-19K vs 21-22K

the two platforms are alot more similar than the 2.0 fanbois would like to admit. have a 2.4L ion and i love it acceleration is awesome handling is awesome... I had the choice ( and the money) to buy a red line when I bought my car and I didn't for many reasons.. one reason is I wanted to be different... I actually don't like cars that come tricked out from the dealership.. they're nice and all but I like having the satisfaction of doing things myself.
Veeeery well said! +rep given!

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS 2.4 vs. 2.0 SC