General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Experienced people with private seller car purchases?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Experienced people with private seller car purchases?

As some of you know I might be getting my Cobalt in a few days if the test drive succeeds. Now that I'm convinced to buy it, I've run into new problems. One of them, the seller has never sold a vehicle before, it's his first time. Another problem, it's my first time buying a vehicle as well. So we're a little confused even though I've been researching for 6 hours reading online.

Hopefully someone in this board has purchased vehicles before and can guide me a little bit.

Okay, the process to "sell a vehicle" is quite simple, all I need is the title signed over, and the bill of sale. The vehicle purchase is out-of-state (it has TX plates, but owner is currently in NY and I live in CT) - Owner has no printer, he asked if I can bring the bill of sale myself.

Question 1) Can I bring the CT Bill of Sale, or do I need a TX Bill of Sale?
Question 2) Does the bill of sale have to be "computer printed" with the car/owner information (VIN, etc) or can be filled with a PEN?
Question 3) Does the bill of sale have to be "notarized" or it's okay with our signatures?

When I meet up with the owner in NY to do the whole transaction, how do I drive the car back after paying him? I have contacted the CT DMV and they ask me for: car title, bill of sale, insurance card and driver's license in order to issue a 10-day temporary plate. I don't want to buy the car, leave it parked in NY, bring documents to CT DMV to get the temp. plates, and drive back to pick it up, how to avoid all these trips back and forth?

Question 4) Why does the DMV ask for requirements that you OBVIOUSLY get after the car purchase? Is there any other way to get the temporary plates without such documents?
Question 5) The NY DMV has a "temporary driving permit interstate" just showing proof of insurance, could I get that to drive back or the NY DMV won't help me as I am going to register it in CT? (this option won't work bc I don't have insurance)
Question 6) It is my first time getting insurance (which I plan on getting after I pay for the car) therefore I don't have insurance at all.

Important Notes:
- My parents don't live in the US (can't ask them to buy it for me, or their insurance)
- I can talk the seller into letting me borrow his plates to drive back (mail them back when I get home)... I know this option is illegal, but might have to do it.
- I will be living with my uncle in CT (he might take care of insurance for me)
- I know I can ship/tow the car, but I'm trying to save those 300$ it costs.

Question 7) Should I do the transaction under my uncles name (cars title/bill of sale) for cheaper insurance (adding myself as an ocassional driver) or should I have it all under my name? I'm only 21 yrs old and first time insured.

-My own conclusion: Ask the seller for his plates, drive back without insurance, follow laws and under speed limit. Park it home, mail plates back, get insurance and register it.

I know it's a complicated thread, if you can answer each question separately that would be great, I appreciate your help thank you in advance!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
When I did a private sale...I signed over the title to that person. On the back, at least in colorado, it has two area's for signatures. One for Seller stating it is ok to transfer it into the buyers name, and one for the buyer.

I wrote up a bill of sale saying something to the effect of "I, Insert name, am selling this vehicle as is with no warranty and no implied services for the sum of xxx amount of dollars."

I then signed it and had him sign it...exchanged cash and was done with it. You will need the title to get plates, and I took my plates off and he drove it home. If you get pulled over, the best thing to do would explain you just bought the car and are going to get temp plates. DO NOT DRIVE WITH HIS PLATES...you will go to jail.

That is how I did it, but as previously stated...this was for my state. I dont know how they do it in New York.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 AM

That seems like a lot to do, lol.
How I bought the Cobalt:

1. Test drove, left deposit since it was weekend. Owner drew up receipt for deposit.
2. Came back Monday, paid in full. Owner drew up receipt. He signed the title over to me. I filled out my portion and signed.
3. Put my previous car's plate on it to drive back home.
4. Took other car to insurance to insure Cobalt.
5. Took proof of insurance and title to DMV/SOS.
6. Receive plate and sticker
7. ????
8. Profit

Non of the receipts/bills have to be formal.. Just something you both sign and have copies of. It can be written in ink, etc.
How Leeman has it spelled out is exactly how we wrote out the bill.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ Michigan was like that too. Carry the title and a copy of the bill of sale with you in case you get stopped for no plates. That should help explain that you own the car and just bought it and haven't been on your way to the dmv for months.

Insurance is easy. Call them and tell them what you bought and you need insurance. Make sure you have the vin before calling. You will get all the important stuff over the phone and they mail it in a few days.

I'd do everything in my name if at all possible. That way its yours just in case something happens between you and your uncle.

Last edited by emiller; 09-27-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 AM

when i bought mine, i just used a regular sheet of paper for the bill of sale. I did get it notarized, not sure if there is a way around that. its not a big deal, but most banks wont notarize it for you unless you have an account with them.

as far as the plates go, i actually used the sellers plates to drive it back until i could get it registered..just made him a copy of my insurance and license, then mailed the plates back to him once i got my own plates
Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leemanfor
When I did a private sale...I signed over the title to that person. On the back, at least in colorado, it has two area's for signatures. One for Seller stating it is ok to transfer it into the buyers name, and one for the buyer.

I wrote up a bill of sale saying something to the effect of "I, Insert name, am selling this vehicle as is with no warranty and no implied services for the sum of xxx amount of dollars."

I then signed it and had him sign it...exchanged cash and was done with it. You will need the title to get plates, and I took my plates off and he drove it home. If you get pulled over, the best thing to do would explain you just bought the car and are going to get temp plates. DO NOT DRIVE WITH HIS PLATES...you will go to jail.

That is how I did it, but as previously stated...this was for my state. I dont know how they do it in New York.
so in CO you cant borrow someones car, cause if you get pulled over you'll get arrested? just because the car is titled to someone else, as long as the reg and Ins. are current its not a problem.

OP, you need to see what NY requires for you to get plates, every state is different. in MA you dont need a bill of sale to register a vehicle, its more for your personal records. here we need the title and an RMV1 form which states the vehicle has a current insurance policy.

i've usually had luck with asking if i can drive it home and bring the plates back, or they can bring hte car over and ill give them a ride home, usually works out fine for me,
Old 09-27-2012, 12:52 PM

Well thanks for clearing up that the bill of sale doesn't have to be official, just signatures and some personal information.

About the plates, I guess I'm still in the same situation, I'll either drive with his plates back or just no plates at all, it's common to see cars without plates around, besides it's a 40 min drive doubt I'll have any trouble as long as I have the title and bill of sale with the current date for proof.

Thanks!