General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

GM Exec Calls Chevy Cobalt "Horrible"

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no doubt that there is room for improvement for the Cobalt. The guys driving in a limo or high end luxury car and takes a cobalt for a spin? Of coarse it sucks!!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
hahah wow.

my ms3 was totaled. I got the lnf SS because it was the fastest stock fwd on the market. I bought it knowing it would be modded for track use. I complain because it is a issue DD drivers have with the car. Just because I have issue with it doesnt mean I want to sell it. The drive train is great, suspension is great, the rest of the car lacks. So what big deal. Just because I dont have 100% positive things to say makes it annoying and I should sell it? why cuz im not some cobalt nut swinger? hahah get off your high horse. This car is in the same price range as many other sport compacts and although it has a better interior than some, it lacks behind some. I only bring up the point, theres no need to take it personally. Stop drinking your muscle juice and think for a minute

Originally Posted by SS4ME
There is no doubt that there is room for improvement for the Cobalt. The guys driving in a limo or high end luxury car and takes a cobalt for a spin? Of coarse it sucks!!
oh sure, but if you go test drive a mazda 3 or genesis coupe theres some better features, but the cobalt has some features those lack. The build quality and some interior quality and pieces in the cruze are looking much better than this current stuff. which goes to show they 1. listened 2. did something about it. Euro cars from ford and gm are WAY better than the ones we get...they pay a tiny bit more usually but hell I'd rather have a nice interior and pay a little more. ie. ford focus. the euro spec one is leaps and bounds better than the US one. and they are finally brining it over...thankfully. GM is doing the same now with its new cars, ie malibu. way better interiors.

Last edited by northvibe; 05-19-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-19-2010, 01:54 PM

One thing the people talking price tag aren't thinking about...when the SS/SC was released, the "competitively priced models" consisted of the Civic Si (nicer interior, inferior handling and performance), Neon SRT4 (faster, near equal handling, rougher riding), Focus (Slow, boring, uninspired interior), and the Mazda3 (nice, but the ms3 didn't come along until later).

Last edited by EtyrnuSS; 05-19-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by EtyrnuSS
One thing the people talking price tag aren't thinking about...when the SS/SC was released, the "competively priced models" consisted of the Civic Si (nicer interior, inferior handling and performance), Neon SRT4 (faster, near equal handling, rougher riding), Focus (Slow, boring, uninspired interior), and the Mazda3 (nice, but the ms3 didn't come along until later).
lnf ss 2008
ms3 2007 (ms3 has 2 trims, sport and gt)
ms6 2005 mrsp'd just over the ss/ms3 at 27k
vw gti (around at the same time)

so they knew the competitions interiors. gm even buys the competitor cars and tests them.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:55 PM

You are missing my point. MS6, a midsize sedan, AWD, price started above the SS fully loaded. Not a comparable model. I forgot the GTI, nicer interior, more expensive(they start closer to 25k), and I've known several owners who love the car but hate the reliability. The SS was released in 05, I have an 06, the MS3 wasn't out. I've test driven a 2010 MS3, I'll give them points on the interior, but that's it. Didn't feel any stronger than my SS, and I didn't like that you can't really run it to redline. Also gets worse gas mileage. I like the car though, and if I didn't already have what I have, I'd seriously consider one.

I don't consider cars like the EVO, STI, and BMW 1 and 3 series comparable models, they start several thousand more than an SS, and have different drivetrains.

My SS was just under 21k, got it for 19. A fully loaded one would have been 25k, probably could have gotten one for about 22, I just didn't was a sunroof (I'm 6'3, takes away headroom), I like my gunmetal wheels, and I didn't want the LSD because I wanted the matching leather seats.

Am I trying to bash any particular car, no. Do I think my car is better than anything else out there, depends on what factor you are looking at. Did I get exactly what I wanted and what I'm paying for, yes. A decent performing, great handling, comfortable for me to drive car. Its a higher performing sport compact, not a luxury car. And mine doesn't have any squeaks or rattles unless I hit a bump that would shake an SUV. Its been driven on some of the roughest paved roads in this country (New Orleans), and my suspension is fine. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, or maybe i kept my expectations reasonable for what I was buying, I don't know.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:08 PM

It doesnt really matter what you paid for it, its msrp's we are comparing. In that respect imo the SS is a 20-22k car. It should msrp for that. My ms3 GT msrp'd just over my lnf ss and had WAY more options, hids, nicer leather seats, auto wipers etc. At the low 20 price point the SS fits perfect. I paid for my ss what I thought it was worth. But the point is, for its msrp asking price it is lacking against the competition and is why the replacement, cruze, has such a refinement above the cobalt.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
actually other than the front seats being a little flat i thought it was a great car for the price i paid new in 05. not sure id pay the 16-17 they want now tho. 12.7 was an awesome price for the balt tho.

now that i read that the wind noise coming off the mirrors is a little much too but i dont notice it after awhile. and its either the texas roads and all the bumps or its old age but i swear the doors dont seal like they used to. hear a lot of wind noise coming in from there. but 5 years and 137k will do that.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:26 PM

if u were looking for a car that has great body lines and roomy inside you didnt by a cobalt. if u were looking for a american car that had ***** and cornerd you got a cobalt. there are many cars that look great and everthing but name a car that is front weel drive that can do the things the cobalt can. even the evo X has bad insides. they say the same about the inside of the evo x but it dont make it a bad car. the ford fuckis is nothing and doge srt4 caliper killed the srt4. the neon was a very nice car. better then the ss/sc cobalt. but the ss/tc is better then the srt4 neon. i dont like hatch backes like the sti ms3 and caliper. i want a car not a miny miny van like the new hatches. i just hope chevy comes out with a ss/tc cruze. if they dont they will lose there performice side that chevy is just starting to make a name of. $22000 for a car that can do a 1/4 mile in 14 flat and still get 30 mpg with 260hp 260trk...what is out there that can do that stock $/hp. i dont like the look of my cobalt body wise but i will never....never say any thing bad about my ecotec engine. name any other engine that raced and beet a airplane. they are doing the same as honda! y dont they do something better and there own. be a leater not a falower GM!!! look at what others are doing and inprove dont just copy like they did with the cobalt. if GM made the inside of the cobalt look like the malibu poeple would love it. if the outside had a more srt4 look race fans would of loved it. do that to the cobalt and leve the rest alone... you have the next best $22000 sports car out there.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 PM

22k? it msrp's for like 24-26k ugh this what you bought it for doesnt matter, its what it is suppose to retail at that matters.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
@ NV;
I tried to make it clear that I wasn’t picking on you, only citing the latter part of your post as the most recent example.

I’m assuming the comments were directed singularly at me;
“high horse”
“nutswinger”
“musclejuice”
!?
As funny as those comments might be, please allow me to most assuredly tell you that you have the wrong guy.

Judging from your (and other subsequent) posts, you understood exactly what I meant.

I just wanted to clarify before and offense was taken, that I have nothing against you – but that doesn’t mean I don’t tire of people complaining about a car as though it’s a turd, when they knew exactly what they were getting into when they bought it.
I for one would like there to no wind noise from the leading edge of my door/glass – but it doesn’t mean I’m going to go on a tirade complaining about a car that I otherwise enjoy enough to continue to drive daily, when I have two other insured & registered cars that I could drive.

Really, I would have hoped that this thread should have gotten CSS.net members up in arms at that DB’s comments as they only hurt the brand…
Old 05-19-2010, 05:11 PM

why are we still aruging the cobalt is dead, im looking forward to the focus st that is coming to the u.s unless ford waters it down.
further note. if we want gm to succeed and make better cars they need to do something about the dam union that is what is killing them.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by army_greywolf
Their "Reasonably Priced Car" in their Star in a... is a overseas version of the Cobalt. The producers claim the car is generally junked after a season (for BBC that's 12 weeks) with a few thousand miles on it. In season 12 the engine blows in practice and they have to get a new car to finish the clip. The whole point of the gag is to make fun of the car.

Oh and they did test a Cobalt SS/TC, at least their equivalent of one. Vauxhall Astra VXR albeit the VXR is built better and comes with a six speed. Every now and then they test the VXR lineup because frankly their absurd to own in a country with average speed cameras.
Actually they have a Lacetti, which is identical to the Optra we have here. Everyone should go find one of those if they think their Cobalts are bad, my god
Old 05-19-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe
sooo just because the prior model was crappier we should be satisfied with this crap? lol no thanks, thats a horrible excuse to say the cobalt has a "decent" interior. When the competition for the SS has interiors WAY beyond the SS for the SAME ******* price of the car, that is saying something. It says gm was skipping and making money or not caring or actually think the crap build quality and interior was okay. Its not. it helps keep the resale **** on these cars.

My ms3 put the cobalts build quality and interior to shame and it had the same (about) msrp and kept its resale value. Look at the cruze, just in looking at pics, its leaps and bounds ahead of the cobalt.....correlation? ya the cobalt and prior car had crap ass interiors and they are finally doing something about it.
We should not be satisfied BUT in comparison to the previous GM compact cars and hell even the Aveo, the Cobalt is a significant improvement in all aspects. Does it compare to others? Not at all, a friend of mine just bought a Genisis Coupe and it's WAY nicer than the Cobalt on the inside. Doesn't mean I'm going to bitch about my car. I honestly think those that complain about their cars should seriously take a good look in the mirror and ask themselves why they tolerate such "garbage". So GM cut a few corners and cheaped out on the interior a bit. I bet you don't think about that as you're blasting around a turn or ripping through gears. What ****** is honestly sitting at the tree thinking "God this just looks like **** in here." I know it was never an issue for me in my near 500whp Cavalier and won't be an issue with the Delta either.

IT'S NOT A ******* CADILLAC!!!!!!!!! It's an entry level Chevrolet. It's going to have a cheap interior and have some issues with fit and finish. GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!

They are "fixing" things with the Cruze because why? Too many whiny rich brats are buying cars and complaining that the interior looks cheap. NEWSFLASH: IT IS!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 PM

Everybody who bought a ss very well knew the interior sucked they bought it for cheap speed, my solstice interior suck I bought it cause it's rwd and turbo. Why this thread is 7 pages long baffles me. Gm is improving in quality but not with the chevy brand I see it with Buick and caddilac. HonestLy the only car with good interior in the ss price range is the Gti. But the Gti lacks the power. In the low 20k price range it' looks like you can't have speed and interior together it's eaither one or the other if you want both the price goes up.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:40 PM

22k? it msrp's for like 24-26k ugh this what you bought it for doesnt matter, its what it is suppose to retail at that matters.
Not really.

Most other cars in our price class almost never have rebates (MS3's, etc.). Balt owners though, can usually get $2-$3,000 off if they just wait.

So in all honestly, it boils down to around 22k for our cars vs. the competition.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Skunk

They are "fixing" things with the Cruze because why? Too many whiny rich brats are buying cars and complaining that the interior looks cheap. NEWSFLASH: IT IS!!!!!!!!
news flash - no. rich brats? um how about GM's quality is so **** on cars that its competition in the same price range is beating them in sales? so they HAD to change it to get sales? why would some normal consumer buy a cruze if it had the same interior as a cobalt if the focus had nicer everything for the same or cheaper price? are you that ******* dense? wtf do rich brats have to do with the cobalt? please explain why a rich brat would but one? if they are rich they wouldnt pick a cobalt. mr. vulgar pants
Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 PM

@ skunk

BAH-HA-HA-HA!!!

I didn't think you could do it, but you topped your previous posts.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
@ NV;
I tried to make it clear that I wasn’t picking on you, only citing the latter part of your post as the most recent example.

I’m assuming the comments were directed singularly at me;
“high horse”
“nutswinger”
“musclejuice”
!?
As funny as those comments might be, please allow me to most assuredly tell you that you have the wrong guy.

Judging from your (and other subsequent) posts, you understood exactly what I meant.

I just wanted to clarify before and offense was taken, that I have nothing against you – but that doesn’t mean I don’t tire of people complaining about a car as though it’s a turd, when they knew exactly what they were getting into when they bought it.
I for one would like there to no wind noise from the leading edge of my door/glass – but it doesn’t mean I’m going to go on a tirade complaining about a car that I otherwise enjoy enough to continue to drive daily, when I have two other insured & registered cars that I could drive.

Really, I would have hoped that this thread should have gotten CSS.net members up in arms at that DB’s comments as they only hurt the brand…
No I'm not taking it out on you, mostly skunk the funk and some other. I have zero problem having a intelligent/smart debate of this, none. If logical points are brought forth. You have good points, some logic in your post. Skunk has a bunch of crap I can barely read.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 PM

wtf do rich brats have to do with the cobalt? please explain why a rich brat would but one? ...
maybe that's because often the 'brat' didn't buy it, their parent bought it for them... and either wouldn't spend more, or bought a compact domestic to try to prove a point.

I've met more than one 'brat' in my days...
Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 PM

you think rich brats would want that veeetaaaakkkkkk
Old 05-19-2010, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Skunk
... a friend of mine just bought a Genisis Coupe and it's WAY nicer than the Cobalt on the inside. Doesn't mean I'm going to bitch about my car. ...
not that it matters;

I looked at the Genisis coupe, but frankly their performance is underwelming - then there's the whole schtick where the salesman stressed the cars Korean lineage... (I didn't clue him in that he wasn't helping sell his case).

I did (albeit briefly) consider buying a Genisis coupe, but at the end I wasn't sold on it;
(all prices in Canadian)
2009 Cobalt SS coupe $25,445 (base, less delivery; printed several "builds" I did last year)
2010 Cobalt SS coupe $27,995 (base, less delivery)

2010 Genisis coupe 2.0T; manual $24,495
2010 Genisis coupe 2.0T with premium package; manual $27,495
2010 Genisis coupe 2.0T GT; manual $30,745
2010 Genisis coupe 3.8; manual $32,995
2010 Genisis coupe 3.8 with navigation; manual $34,495
2010 Genisis coupe 3.8 GT; manual $36,495

Now although I would consider the Genisis coupe a comparable car, it really seems to me to be in a higher price range - which should mean a little more creature comforts; but it's performance leaves something to be desired;
stats:
2010 Genisis coupe 2.0T Track (not offered in Canada)
horsepower/torque: 210hp @ 6000 rpm & 223lb-ft @ 2000rpm
0-60: 6.8 seconds
1/4 mile: 15.2 @ 90.3 mph

2010 Genisis coupe 3.8 Track (again not offered in Canada)
horsepower/torque: 306hp @ 6300rpm & 266lb-ft @ 4700rpm
0-60: 5.5 seconds
1/4 mile: 14.0 @ 101.0 mph

They're very nice cars, but the final straw was last year at the track;
My 'old' Grand Am (in sig below) was running faster than local 3.8L Genisis coupes*.
(please keep in mind both cars are naturally aspirated, and more susceptible to elevation & conditions)

"Worse milage that the GA" + "Slower than the GA" + "$30k" + import = no sale.

I personally observed or raced both the Genisis coupe 3.8 & the VW GTI, both netted an observed best of E/T of 15.4, while my best E/T in the GA last year was 15.25

The GTI surprised me - at the time I didn't know anything about it, but it gave me a great fight ~ that was the run that I netted a 15.25 on.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Banned

To break you girls up, I wonder what they think/say about the Aveo, talk about a piece of **** with wheels.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by EcoTecDriver
... the Aveo, talk about a piece of **** with wheels.
BAH-HA-HA!!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Ion
Banned

Trying to read through all the responses, but thought I'd share mine. I own an 06 ion with the 2.4. Its a Cobalt SS with a plastic body. The day my warranty ran out, the CEL came on. The BCM was failing. Replaced. The next day, something under the car broke, and I don't care enough to deal with it. Its the stock sway bar I believe. Weeks later, my car goes into LIMP mode, sounds out of balance, and the engine stalls out. Towed home. Towed up to Saturn. They replace the throttle body. Works for a week, then happens again. I give up and just drive it as best I can. It goes away for a while. Then it comes back. I replace the pedal sensors. It goes away. Then about 2 weeks ago, it comes back. Car stalls out. I do the battery reset, and its back to normal.

The interior is a solid chunk of plastic. The clearcoat is peeling on a 4 year old car. The front right window rolls up and out of its track and will prolly just roll out onto the highway soon. drivers window sounds like every screw inside the door is rattling against it. My stock shift knob BROKE off, which is alright in a sense cuz I went to a short shifter. The back speakers short out when the car turns on and make a loud noise, even when the radio is off. The only things I like about the car are the centered gauges, the huge power it has due to the light-weight plastic and the SS engine, and the fact its a 5-speed.

I've thought about the new Regal GS, but I will most likely never buy another GM car again. The c5s look good, but have the same troubles, I'm sure of it. I'll prolly pick up a 350Z or 370Z or a Lotus Elise when I finish up school. The Zs are great cars, and the Lotus is underpowered, but beautiful and simple and lightweight.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Yeah, I am sure all those people in those foreign countries will appreciate your support.

Quick Reply: GM Exec Calls Chevy Cobalt "Horrible"