General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

GM Exec Calls Chevy Cobalt "Horrible"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for hating on my car guys.. i got an ls cause i could afford it would u prefer my to drive a civic? if you wanna race an ls owner ill take the vette out for a spin it runs 10.49 1/4 mile naturally aspirated
Old 05-28-2010, 04:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Oh5Speed
thanks for hating on my car guys.. i got an ls cause i could afford it would u prefer my to drive a civic? if you wanna race an ls owner ill take the vette out for a spin it runs 10.49 1/4 mile naturally aspirated
you officially just labeled yourself a tool

Last edited by HunterKiller89; 05-28-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Oh5Speed
I used to own a G5 base. It uses a ton less sound dampening than the SS does. Also I always got zapped when exiting the car due to the cloth seats. Other than that, same parts.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 PM

yeah so i brought my SS/TC back to the dealer last week because they forgot to put a reverse gear in the car. i drove for 2000 miles and never tried to reverse the other day. good job GM did someone fall asleep on the job? so ive been driving around a POS Pontiac G6, its slower then molasses in an igloo. i fking hate it. im supposed to get my SS back tuesday evening. if they dont give it back im making them make the payment for this month.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 10cobaltss
yeah so i brought my SS/TC back to the dealer last week because they forgot to put a reverse gear in the car. i drove for 2000 miles and never tried to reverse the other day. good job GM did someone fall asleep on the job? so ive been driving around a POS Pontiac G6, its slower then molasses in an igloo. i fking hate it. im supposed to get my SS back tuesday evening. if they dont give it back im making them make the payment for this month.
How the hell do you drive 2000 miles and never have to use reverse once?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 PM

you never once backed out of a parking space huh?

and they forgot to out a reverse gear in eh?

....how old are you, just out of curiosity
Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
yeah so i brought my SS/TC back to the dealer last week because they forgot to put a reverse gear in the car. ...
I'm not going to try to call you on anything, but frankly there's alot which could go wrong aside from the highly improbible scenario of there physically being no reverse that could make it seem like there's no reverse;
linkage, internal shift forks ect, ect

good luck on trying to make them cover your payment... if anything they might allow you to differ it - and add it on the end.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by EtyrnuSS
I was offered 7k for mine with 70k miles...
Last year i thought about trading my 07 SS/SC in it only had 13,900 miles on it and they told me that they would give me $11,500 What a joke considering i would have lost 4 grand. The only gripe that I have about my cobalt is the retards that can't fix **** at the dealership. I had to go back four times for the same concern, if the service advisor would've pulled his head out of his ass and cleaned his ears and listened to what I was telling him the car would've been fixed in 2 visits.

Last edited by LSJAY; 06-01-2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
I'm assuming it was the base because i see 40 or 50 LS/LT's for every rare SS just driving around.
the looks are the same even with your body and ss on the side so get used to your horrible crappy car
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by enano
the looks are the same even with your body and ss on the side so get used to your horrible crappy car
this.
again, the LS/LT is a more comfortable ride. The SS models sacrifice comfort for performance in going with a stiffer suspension...
Old 06-01-2010, 03:32 PM

because i would always pull into a spot so i could pull away by just driving through. or when i needed to back up, i would just put it in neutral and let gravity reverse me from a drive way... but anyway, i guess it wasnt that they forgot to put it in, thats just how it was explained to me, i asked today, and he said that 2 parts that have to do with the reverse, werent "machined properly" so i guess they had to order the 2 parts from chevy, and they're currently on back order.. how does a part like that go on back order? btw hunter no need to be cynical, im 20. no id never had to back out of a spot cuz id always pull into the mall or parking space in a way that when i leave i would just pull through.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:59 PM

fair enough. just look at your post from my point of view...sounds kinda ridiculous huh?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM

Base model G5 owner here. Great car, however, I do hear the rattles and bumps all the time, and yeah, cloth interior leaves a lot to be desired. Decent sound, decent power, nothing amazing by any stretch of the imagination.

However, bought it at 16 years old (about two years ago now), and was and to an extent still am absolutely in love with it.

A buddy of mine went out and bought a 2009 SS/TC and let me drive it.

Oh. Mah. Gawd. The thing is a friggin' dream and a half. It sounds better, looks better, the leather seats with SS embroidery looked better than the ones in my dad's G6 GTP. The gearbox is better, handling, less rattles, better rims (in my opinion). The SS is an amazing car.

A base model is like having a **** for a step-mom. She's all that when you're 16 and have no idea what the hell you're doing, but eventually you're going to want someone equally hot who cooks. That's how I see a base model vs. an SS.

Last edited by Lapila82; 06-01-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Ion
Banned

Originally Posted by Lapila82
Base model G5 owner here. Great car, however, I do hear the rattles and bumps all the time, and yeah, cloth interior leaves a lot to be desired. Decent sound, decent power, nothing amazing by any stretch of the imagination.

However, bought it at 16 years old (about two years ago now), and was and to an extent still am absolutely in love with it.

A buddy of mine went out and bought a 2009 SS/TC and let me drive it.

Oh. Mah. Gawd. The thing is a friggin' dream and a half. It sounds better, looks better, the leather seats with SS embroidery looked better than the ones in my dad's G6 GTP. The gearbox is better, handling, less rattles, better rims (in my opinion). The SS is an amazing car.

A base model is like having a **** for a step-mom. She's all that when you're 16 and have no idea what the hell you're doing, but eventually you're going to want someone equally hot who cooks. That's how I see a base model vs. an SS.
That is so going in my signature. Funniest thing I've ever read on this forum.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
fair enough. just look at your post from my point of view...sounds kinda ridiculous huh?
definitely, precisely why i explained it in more detail. xD
Old 06-02-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ion
That is so going in my signature. Funniest thing I've ever read on this forum.
YAY! I feel so special now.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

I've owned 2 different Cobalts at the same time. If you want my honest opinon my 2005 Cobalt LT 4 Door Sedan loaded with everything but OnStar was the best small car I ever drove and it didn't fall apart. Had the fake wood grain trim which NEVER peeled, the leather seats were comfy and the sound system was nice! I live in Michigan and drive some of the worst roads in the state and by far the ride of the car was what impressed me the most. Very nice ride, lots of compliments on it. Car never was in the shop except for oil changes and regular maintenance.

Now my SS Supercharged was a completely different issue, I had nothing but cosmetic issues with the paint, trim, shifter knob or clipped in shift pattern popping off. The door handles sticked, my catalytic converter had to be replaced 4 different times while stock before I straight piped it, oil leaks, low coolant indicator constantly coming on, mid thorttle pulls and engine power reduced coming on, replacing the radio due to shorts, the cluster wigging out and not displaying speed, rpm etc. While I didn't experience the clutch issues everyone else did my car had the firewall plate split in two and wasn't covered by GM which comes out to a $1,200 fix to get to the plate fixed if you ask GM to do it.(tearing the whole dash and all) with several buddies (14 hr job). plate costs maybe $50.

Last straw was the electrical issues I was having. I parted ways with it and breaking even. I wish I had that 4 door again.

my silverado right now has been a great truck with ZERO issues however it's not getting even the sticker for gas mileage after 20,000 plus miles. I think I am getting roughly 12 miles combined and the minimum is suppose to be 15-18 combined. I plan on either getting the superchips fuel miser tune for it or hit up a friend with HP Tuners to fix the fuel trims.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
my silverado right now has been a great truck with ZERO issues however it's not getting even the sticker for gas mileage after 20,000 plus miles. I think I am getting roughly 12 miles combined and the minimum is suppose to be 15-18 combined. I plan on either getting the superchips fuel miser tune for it or hit up a friend with HP Tuners to fix the fuel trims.
EPA mileage has always been a 1 size fits all measurement. Living in Warren you probably are cruising down 696 at 2mph.

I miss my 45 minute 8 mile commute to work up there.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by emiller
EPA mileage has always been a 1 size fits all measurement. Living in Warren you probably are cruising down 696 at 2mph.

I miss my 45 minute 8 mile commute to work up there.
actually you would be suprised. 696 actually moves quite well these days. Think the slowest speed I encounter since I work in Southfield is after I passed Greenfield Rd. My exit is Vandyke so considering I'm usually doing 55-65 mph.

Gas milage I agree with you on but taking this thing up to a 325 mile trip up north one way on I-75 the truck got a max of 325 miles to a 22 gallon tank got me near 15mpg doing the speed limit.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:07 PM

I just figured out

why I like my Cobalt SS/SC - the thing doesn't have any "modern" gizmoids - you can't switch in ESP or any **** like that. No traction controls, just plain ol gas, clutch, shift, brake. No ***** controls at all. Love it. I'd be pissed at a GM Top Gun saying stuff about my car, but he won't be around much - Corporate seagull!

Like Sneaky I like the regular Cobalts too. I drive a lot of rental cars and always thought the Cobalt was pretty good compared to a stock Focus etc. Did have a few small warranty probs but the dealership fixed them. One was for a leaky sunroof and I had to complain to GM about being charged for it - they manned up and refunded the deal!

I'm thinking of getting a used 09 4 door LT with leather, seat warmers for winter use.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:38 AM

the stock balt (and back when - the cavvy) is cheaper than the competition. I dont get how you can drive a 14 grand car and say it sucks then a 50 grand car and say it's nice. The question is how much of your money was put in the car.
You get what you pay for, screw critics

Still a nicer car than the competition in a lot of ways, too. like mine hasnt broken yet honda honda honda
Old 06-05-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by TheWarHam
the stock balt (and back when - the cavvy) is cheaper than the competition. I dont get how you can drive a 14 grand car and say it sucks then a 50 grand car and say it's nice. The question is how much of your money was put in the car.
You get what you pay for, screw critics

Still a nicer car than the competition in a lot of ways, too. like mine hasnt broken yet honda honda honda
$15k cobalt < $15k civic in every category but performance (and VERY slightly in fuel economy)
Old 06-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Ion
Banned

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
$15k cobalt < $15k civic in every category but performance (and VERY slightly in fuel economy)
In all honesty, when it comes down to base car vs base car, I'd take the new Civic coupe any day. It is much better on the eyes than the Balt. It also has a pleasing interior (haha I said pleasing) and is MUCH more reliable (as a general rule).

Note: Is anyone else getting this monsoon of a rain storm I'm getting right now? 2-3 inches per hour. Intense.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ion
In all honesty, when it comes down to base car vs base car, I'd take the new Civic coupe any day. It is much better on the eyes than the Balt. It also has a pleasing interior (haha I said pleasing) and is MUCH more reliable (as a general rule).

Note: Is anyone else getting this monsoon of a rain storm I'm getting right now? 2-3 inches per hour. Intense.
Even people that work at Honda (I worked at Honda R&D in Raymond OH for 2 years) will tell you that the Civic dash is ugly. Personally I don't like the front end either.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by emiller
Even people that work at Honda (I worked at Honda R&D in Raymond OH for 2 years) will tell you that the Civic dash is ugly. Personally I don't like the front end either.
but its still better than the cobalt dash. thin cheap plastic....groooss

Quick Reply: GM Exec Calls Chevy Cobalt "Horrible"