General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

LNF or LSJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post LNF or LSJ

Future cobalt ss owner here but I have been stuck trying to decide what to get. I know the differences between superchargers and turbochargers, I am also aware of their potential. But eitherway I figured I would get some help from you guys! I plan on making this my daily driver, but at the same time I plan on heavily modifying the vehicles. Both will have a full exhaust system headers back, ported heads, cams, nitrous wet shot system, cold air intake & a liquid to air intercooler, cooling accessories, upgraded clutch, and a coilover system. Now consider those upgrades and include a harrop tvs supercharger on the lsj or a s259et turbo system on the lnf. Anyone have a general idea of guesstimated dyno numbers on both given those items? mpg? Also which one will have a faster quartermile? Thanks guys!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 PM

you have a lot of power mods. any idea's on how to put the power down?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If u want huge power (600+whp) get an lsj and turbo it.

If u plan on staying 550 or less lnf all the way.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
yea what he said for sure. lsjs ultimately can get faster track times but u gotta really work that motor out.

and for the money, lnf all the way. those carry high torque along with their power where in the end lsjs dont stay as torquey

Last edited by riceburner; 04-16-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2012, 03:53 PM

If u wanna mod it that much I suggest turbo lsj. If u want simple bolt on power get LNf. If u got the coin get both lol. I own both. I have a bolted lsj, and just purchase a LNf. Ive owned the lsj for 6 years and still going strong. The LNf I've owned for 4 days and alrdy put downpipe and kn sri and arm rest in... The LNf out handles and is more comfortable but so far my lsj is faster ... Till I tune it lol
Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 PM

If I go with the lnf im going to get the sedan version, but I dont plan on buying a supercharger just to swap it to a turbocharged one. Maybe add a turbo to the supercharger but thats it. The good part about the turbo is I can get a boost controller to set it all the way down to 4psi just by turning the knob to save on gas, and when i need it crank the boost. Ive heard the lsjs need block work to support the high horsepower numbers, but the lnfs engine factory (along with upgraded valve springs, retainers, balance shafts, etc.) can handle up the 900 hp. Only the clutch is good for 320hp. Any suggestions is helping thanks guys.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 07LSJ
you have a lot of power mods. any idea's on how to put the power down?
No clue, kinda just planned to stay off the throttle! hahaha
Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Waka Flocka Fluff
No clue, kinda just planned to stay off the throttle! hahaha
hahaha good choice!!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM

I think the LSJ block is more capable in everyway, but needs more attention. as stated above...go for the lnf man, IMO
Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 PM

what do you want to do with the car?

SC = autox/road course

turbo = drag racing

either way, since it sounds like you really want to build the engine up, id go with the lsj.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
If I go with the lnf im going to get the sedan version, but I dont plan on buying a supercharger just to swap it to a turbocharged one. Maybe add a turbo to the supercharger but thats it. The good part about the turbo is I can get a boost controller to set it all the way down to 4psi just by turning the knob to save on gas, and when i need it crank the boost. Ive heard the lsjs need block work to support the high horsepower numbers, but the lnfs engine factory (along with upgraded valve springs, retainers, balance shafts, etc.) can handle up the 900 hp. Only the clutch is good for 320hp. Any suggestions is helping thanks guys.
Ok let me help you.

LNF's boost is controlled via PCM and IIRC, boost controllers do not work on the factory system.

Twincharging the SC Cobalt is a pain in the ass, but it can be done. most just give up and go turbo because of the tuning hassle and cost.

LSJ's need block work past 550+ horsepower, and I believe LNF's need it past 500.

The LNF uses direct injection, so fuel is really limited for higher horsepower builds. No LNF I know of or seen has been at 900 HP. ZZP which is a huge Ecotec company has got the LNF To just shy of 700 hp. However, they have got their LSJ to 898 with full build/s259et turbo set to 55 psi.

Clutch is good on LNF to most say 360 hp/tq. on the LSJ, its only good to about 250.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
turbo LSJ
Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by leemanfor
Ok let me help you.

LNF's boost is controlled via PCM and IIRC, boost controllers do not work on the factory system.

Twincharging the SC Cobalt is a pain in the ass, but it can be done. most just give up and go turbo because of the tuning hassle and cost.

LSJ's need block work past 550+ horsepower, and I believe LNF's need it past 500.

The LNF uses direct injection, so fuel is really limited for higher horsepower builds. No LNF I know of or seen has been at 900 HP. ZZP which is a huge Ecotec company has got the LNF To just shy of 700 hp. However, they have got their LSJ to 898 with full build/s259et turbo set to 55 psi.

Clutch is good on LNF to most say 360 hp/tq. on the LSJ, its only good to about 250.
Thanks bro I've been looking into everything and settled on the 09 cobalt ss sedan for convience in the future when it comes to family. The turbo upgrade comes with a new pcm which is controlable by a boost knob. Even if I only get 500-550 out of the lnf who really is going to expect a sedan to smoke have the things around where I live? Thats why I love the cobalt SS (super sleeper (; hehe).
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm too JDM for you

A lot of misinformation here. There is no boost knob on the lnf's. Nor do you want to put a boost controller on it. Save on gas by keeping your foot out of it. Pretty simple actually. Lsj is gonna need block work around 450whp, LNF is going to need pistons and rods around 475-500whp.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 PM

Assuming your talking about gms1 when you say turbo upgrade, no new PCM no boost control. Who ever told you that it's a new PCM and a boost controller was blowing smoke up your ass. It's two map sensors and a flash to the stock PCM. Dont bother with gms1, from reading your posts you will only need the map sensors. Who will be doing your tuning?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:12 PM

I love my LSJ. Be different everyone is running a turbo! hah
Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 PM

ok my 2 cents is to go back to drawing board and think of a goal and power output you want to achieve to the car. your original statement you said you wanted a daily driver, but you are doing all those mods, which makes no sense. plus YOU with this mindset will blow the motor to pieces especially not built.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by JacBlackSS/TC
ok my 2 cents is to go back to drawing board and think of a goal and power output you want to achieve to the car. your original statement you said you wanted a daily driver, but you are doing all those mods, which makes no sense. plus YOU with this mindset will blow the motor to pieces especially not built.
I planned on driving this car as my daily driver, and it will just so happen to be modded, I dont get how that makes sense.

And for everyone confused about the boost controller, go to zzperformance.com click on turbo upgrade and click on the lnf turbo upgrade. There is a option for a 375whp boost controller controlled through traction control and a 250-400whp manual boost controller attached under the hood. I dont know if I dont understand by what they mean but judging by just reading it it is a knob that regulates the amount of psi... which can be turned all the way down to help mpg. Correct me if im wrong. Also the headers combo comes with new springs and retainers to whoever said that.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
A lot of misinformation here. There is no boost knob on the lnf's. Nor do you want to put a boost controller on it. Save on gas by keeping your foot out of it. Pretty simple actually. Lsj is gonna need block work around 450whp, LNF is going to need pistons and rods around 475-500whp.
I planned on swapping the pistons and rods anyway. Check zzperformance lnf turbo upgrade, theres an option for a manual boost controller.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
I planned on driving this car as my daily driver, and it will just so happen to be modded, I dont get how that makes sense.

And for everyone confused about the boost controller, go to zzperformance.com click on turbo upgrade and click on the lnf turbo upgrade. There is a option for a 375whp boost controller controlled through traction control and a 250-400whp manual boost controller attached under the hood. I dont know if I dont understand by what they mean but judging by just reading it it is a knob that regulates the amount of psi... which can be turned all the way down to help mpg. Correct me if im wrong. Also the headers combo comes with new springs and retainers to whoever said that.

Yes, that works for the turbo upgrade. the factory turbo system doesn't user a boost controller, its set by the PCM
Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by leemanfor
Yes, that works for the turbo upgrade. the factory turbo system doesn't user a boost controller, its set by the PCM
I dont think everyone caught onto the fact that I was doing a turbo upgrade
Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM

oh and sorry I meant heads combo it comes with cams, springs, retainers, a tune, and ported heads. everything I am purchasing is through zzp so if you guys have any questions just look it up.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Along with your headers and heads. obviously you don't know how a turbo works. Theirs no need to turn boost down to 4 lbs. if you stay out of boost a turbo is very efficient. Do some research.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Superbalt06
Along with your headers and heads. obviously you don't know how a turbo works. Theirs no need to turn boost down to 4 lbs. if you stay out of boost a turbo is very efficient. Do some research.
I corrected myself on the headers part xD its alittle early for me. And I know with a s259 turbo itll take a while before it fully spools so I really wont run into that problem but just to be sure Ill have it turned lower than normal to save gas.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 AM

Got a cobalt ss sedan. Love it. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: LNF or LSJ