General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

My car shocks the crap out of me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car shocks the crap out of me!

Every single time that I get out of my car whether it's a long distance trip or short trip, I always get shocked when closing the door. And for awhile, it didn't really bother me but after owning the car for six months now and not finding a way to stop it, it's really really starting to get on my nerves. I've tried wearing different shoes(flip flops, tennis shoes, work boots), wearing different pants, and almost leaping out of the car trying not to get shocked and nothing works. If my leg or arm is even remotely near the door or body, it's inevitable that I get zapped. And tonight, it shocked me tremendously! And I have even tried buying a spark plug from the auto parts store and holding it to the car while getting out. The spark plug helps a little bit but not much. I've widened the gap on this plug alot and it still fires the plug every single time. So does anyone know of a way to make the car less 'shocking' or get rid of the shock all together? Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 PM

You can get rid of the shocking by getting leather seats, with my recaros i've noticed a little more shocking.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 PM

You're getting shocked? LOL, Someone Put a ground on your door.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Banned

I know this might sound gay but put a real metal ring on your hand, none of that knock off ****. It works. I had the same problem in my cavailer. Stopped it afterwords. Took it off and got shocked, put it back on, no problem.

Problem is the cloth seats your ass keeps moving around and conducting energy and it travels up your body to your hand. Make your hand the ground and make a ring or buy one.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:06 AM

all of the cars i ve ever owned has "shocked me"including my cobalt. funny thing is that i m scared to close the door because of getting shocked. just be carfully when you are pumping gas.you ll blow your self up if your charged!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
the ring thing works and so will taking it to the dealer and having them ad an extra ground strap to the chassy be carefull and ground yourself before using the gas pump you could blow yourself up i lost a friend when while i was active duty from a static shock when he fueled up the the governent truck he was also using his cell phone while refueling

mrb
Old 01-24-2006, 12:10 AM

lol this is gonna sound weird as hell....but put a fabric softner sheet in your pocket....my laptop was shockig me all the time, i put fabric softner sheet in my pocket and what to you know? no more shocks! i heard it will also work for cars give it a try....youll smell good too
Old 01-24-2006, 04:16 PM

If you are having problems with static electricity you can protect yourself at the gas pump by touching the door edge and discharging the static before you touch the pump. If you ever catch a pump nozzle on fire DO NOT pull it out the nozzle is sealed to the tank and will most likely self extinguish if you pull it out you are giving it a fresh supply of air. Sure it isnt your pants or coat? If putting the fabric softner in your pocket helps would using a little more fabric softner when you wash your clothes help?
Old 01-24-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Cavalier was LETHAL for shocks. At night you could see the flash from it, that's how strong it was. So I bought the SS, haven't had the same problem since. LOL, jk. Try the fabric softener if you can, I've heard that works.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:48 PM
360 L337 User

mine shocks me with leather seats and everything. I hate it. what about those crazy looking straps that go to the grund and drag. can i mount one under the car somewhere so it is out of the way and not stupid looking
Old 01-25-2006, 09:14 PM

I have found the solution!! I read the post above about touching the gas pumps before fueling or the door edge and decided to touch the door frame(body part) the entire time while im getting out of the car and it worked. I have tried it a few times and I haven't been shocked once. And it is such a huge relief because there have been a few times where I could feel it go half way up my arm... So if your having this problem, open your door, touch the door frame while getting out, and your fine. =)
Old 01-26-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by TxCarGuy
Every single time that I get out of my car whether it's a long distance trip or short trip, I always get shocked when closing the door. And for awhile, it didn't really bother me but after owning the car for six months now and not finding a way to stop it, it's really really starting to get on my nerves. I've tried wearing different shoes(flip flops, tennis shoes, work boots), wearing different pants, and almost leaping out of the car trying not to get shocked and nothing works. If my leg or arm is even remotely near the door or body, it's inevitable that I get zapped. And tonight, it shocked me tremendously! And I have even tried buying a spark plug from the auto parts store and holding it to the car while getting out. The spark plug helps a little bit but not much. I've widened the gap on this plug alot and it still fires the plug every single time. So does anyone know of a way to make the car less 'shocking' or get rid of the shock all together? Thanks
Heres the ultimate solution: During a torrential down pour, and while massive lightning strikes are occurring, go out to your car, stand on top of it, and hold a 15' copper pipe straight up into the sky. In order for this to be effective you must be parked in an open field........

No, not really, jus j/king. Actually what would work nice is a small water bottle with some tap water in it. Just spray the area that keeps shocking you, or your hands with it, and nothing should happen.

See, water diperses electrical fields when applied to an area that is statically charged ( E.x. whenever youre experiencing static cling, you can use a mist of water to eliminate the charge and stop it from sticking to your leg ( I hate that ) ).
Old 01-26-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bah, u're all ******, getting shocked from the car is it's way of telling you it loves you
Old 01-26-2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
bah, u're all ******, getting shocked from the car is it's way of telling you it loves you
LOL!!! HEY!!!! My car doesn't shock me I guess she doesn't love me.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:34 AM
360 L337 User

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt

i never though of that.. I guess if your into CarSex
Old 01-26-2006, 09:59 AM

Every car I've ever been in with cloth seats seems to shock me. That's one of the reasons I ONLY buy cars with leather seats. Cloth SUCKS!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:10 PM

My car shocks me...so did my trailblazer...I kinda like it though...it turns me on! (J/K)
Old 01-26-2006, 09:00 PM

try wearing gloves
(joking)
Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Banned

Anyone ever seen school buses with chains dragging off of the rear axle??

Perhaps thats why those are there, for a ground...
Old 01-27-2006, 08:33 PM

He is right about wearing gloves! LOL When the air is dry and you slide across that cloth seat you build up static electricity. No problem in the summer when it is hot and humid. They do sell a spray called static guard and I sprayed it on the seats of the Z24 I use to have and it worked, so I need to find a bottle again for the new Cobalt. So far I have just been using my forearm to touch the door first, doesn't hurt as bad as my hand.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:35 PM

Well I am glad I am not the only one having that problem... Hell I thought it was me! But I guess not... I hate gettin' shocked! I'm gonna buy some of that spray.. I have seen it they sell it at Wally World!
Old 01-28-2006, 12:58 AM

so did you try that fabric softner yet?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by TxCarGuy
I have found the solution!! I read the post above about touching the gas pumps before fueling or the door edge and decided to touch the door frame(body part) the entire time while im getting out of the car and it worked. I have tried it a few times and I haven't been shocked once. And it is such a huge relief because there have been a few times where I could feel it go half way up my arm... So if your having this problem, open your door, touch the door frame while getting out, and your fine. =)
I know I'm a little late to the party but this is the best no purchasse necessary solution. As soon as I read the topic I was going to suggest that but I see someone else beat me to it. I've been getting out of cars like that for years that it actually became a habit with me now. I put my hand on the frame before I slide out of any car now.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:45 AM

Close the door with your elbow. I have not had a problem since. Maybe its because I always have a jacket on haha
Old 01-29-2006, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by R33P3R007
i never though of that.. I guess if your into CarSex

On that note....

http://www.shooshtime.com/clips/video.php?id=5137

LOL!

Quick Reply: My car shocks the crap out of me!