General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

need help..thinking of buying 2010 cobaltSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help..thinking of buying 2010 cobaltSS

Thanks for clicking. I am most likely leaving my VW GTI behind after 7 years and jumping into a new Cobalt SS but I need to know what I am getting myself into as far as maintenance costs, long-term reliability, performance capabilities etc. I'm also trying to figure out how to determine which models have the SS2 options package which from what I understand have the upgraded suspension and leather interior. All of the listings I have seen don't seem to state anything like base/upgraded model. Any positive feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated as these vehicles are dissapearing fast.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the options you would like are now standard with the 2010 SS. Performance is good. AS with any domestic the reliability is hit and miss. I've had small problems with mine but nothing that would leave me on the side of the road and all fixed under warranty. 160k powertrain warranty is where it's at the oil changes are full synthetic so they are a bit pricier than average but you have to pay a little extra to get extra. It's a fun daily driver that gets decent mileage. GTI is a more refined car but i love my little balt. Once ya get past the little things like minor squeeks and rattles and the cheap look ... the price and performance makes it all worth it in the end
Old 08-13-2010, 09:08 AM

Well some of the models I have come across don't seem to have leather/Recaro seats or LSD. That leads me to believe there are perhaps different packages of this SS model. I am going to test drive one tonight.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:29 AM

The 2008-2010 Cobalt SS T/C's do not have a Recaro seat option. There is an LSD option. Also the 2010's come with the RPD as standard.

The car is fun as hell to drive. The turbo spools very quickly making driving around town a breeze. I have owned a 2008 Civic Si and a 2008 Evo X and I feel like this car is a mix between the two. Having the nimbleness of the civic si mixed with the power (turbo) of the evo X.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 AM

Buy the 2010 with the RPD and LSD and drive it and have fun with it
Old 08-13-2010, 10:01 AM

Ok thanks for clearing up some confusion I had. I knew of the SC Cobalts having an upgraded suspension option(McPherson components) but are those upgraded suspension parts now standard on these new models as well? Finding models with LSD is proving to be tricky.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VENOMSS
Ok thanks for clearing up some confusion I had. I knew of the SC Cobalts having an upgraded suspension option(McPherson components) but are those upgraded suspension parts now standard on these new models as well? Finding models with LSD is proving to be tricky.
Upgraded suspension and brembo brakes are just 2 of the many changes they have improved on over the older models.. Hope that helps.. Ultimately a test drive will tell you if this car is right for ya. . Get an LSD if ya can but if ya cant its not the end of the world.. I dont have LSD and my car is very friendly.. Torque steer is manageable and its straight line performance isnt hurt.. If you want to track race or autoX then LSD is a must. Hope that helps!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah there is no leather or suspension upgrade package. The seats are better than the racarros IMO. people are constantly trying to trade them for sstc seats. They spent allot more time tuning the suspension on this car and it's very good in the corners!

Maintenance wise your rear breaks will probably need changing ever 10000 miles, the front ones seem good so far. I've put on almost 30000 miles on them. Tires (if you chose to stay factory and don't autox or road race will likely need changing after about, 20000miles as well.

Hope this helps! And if you don't plan on getting an aftermarket tune make them include the gms1 upgrade from the dealer as part of the deal ( or for free)
Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by slapbetcommissioner
Yeah there is no leather or suspension upgrade package. The seats are better than the racarros IMO. people are constantly trying to trade them for sstc seats. They spent allot more time tuning the suspension on this car and it's very good in the corners!

Maintenance wise your rear breaks will probably need changing ever 10000 miles, the front ones seem good so far. I've put on almost 30000 miles on them. Tires (if you chose to stay factory and don't autox or road race will likely need changing after about, 20000miles as well.

Hope this helps! And if you don't plan on getting an aftermarket tune make them include the gms1 upgrade from the dealer as part of the deal ( or for free)
^^^^^^^^ This!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:50 PM

I got 3 dealers involved in the process now haha. Thanks for providing me with this information. A majority of the dealers would probably try to sugarcoat so I figured I would go directly to the source. Wow this car must eat up brake systems like Pac-Man on steroids. My GTI is pretty decent on brakes. I haven't even replaced the front ones yet and I have about 86000 miles on it(they are due). If they do come with summer-performance tires I will most likely take those off and throw on some Nitto all-seasons.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by VENOMSS
I got 3 dealers involved in the process now haha. Thanks for providing me with this information. A majority of the dealers would probably try to sugarcoat so I figured I would go directly to the source. Wow this car must eat up brake systems like Pac-Man on steroids. My GTI is pretty decent on brakes. I haven't even replaced the front ones yet and I have about 86000 miles on it(they are due). If they do come with summer-performance tires I will most likely take those off and throw on some Nitto all-seasons.

Good idea 30,000km and my tires are bald already.. Theyre only rated for 24,000km lol
Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 PM

I just took delivery a week ago. I love it. We lubed up all the pins on the rear brakes the day I brought it home. I suspect this to be the issue. GM did not so I did. Crossing my fingers tho lol
Old 08-14-2010, 04:29 PM

Goodluck!!
Old 08-14-2010, 04:38 PM

I too think the turbo seats are better than the Recaros.