General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Need some advice/opinions :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some advice/opinions :)

Hey Everyone,

First post ever, I read through the forums for a couple of months now and just went membership so this is my first post....

Anyways, I just need some advice or opinions concerning the Cobalt SS/sc vs. SRT-4.... and possibly RSX-S. I know there have been some posts about it but I didn't find them too conclusive.

Bassically, I'm lookin at those 3 and I just got rid of my 99 Civic Hatch, just wanna know what the best fit for me would be.... I test drove the SRT-4 and RSX-S and well.... the RSX was weak to say the least but then again its not turboed and it did handle better than the SRT-4 but man the SRT-4 was the most fun I ever had in a car and I did drive the new vette (my buddy's dad has one) and the SRT-4 was much more fun.

I'm lookin for pure, raw performance.... don't need cupholders or heated seats.... I understand people liking that but not me. Don't care too much about the interior, so just for scale.... the SRT-4 interior was fine by me LOL. So please give me your thoughts and comparison.
Also I want a strong aftermarked cause obviously it won't be stock for too long .... though I don't mind waiting for the aftermarked scene for the cobalt provided its strong.

Btw.... SRT forums sucks beyond believe, I mean flaming on every damn topic and god forbid anyone should post in the "war stories" part. You guys rock though

Old 04-21-2005, 11:17 AM

srt4 is the easiest to mod, and is made to go fast in a straight line, go with that then
the build quality sucks, but its a 'go fast car'
Old 04-21-2005, 11:20 AM

Though I am definately a chevy fan it sounds like the SRT is your best fit... Most people and magazines agree the cobalt and SRT are about even in performance but the cobalt is much more refined inside.

If your truely looking for a RAW performance car out of the three you mentioned the SRT is the closest thing... but thats not saying muhc good about its interior, If I were you I would go with the nicer overall car.

Also you can just wait and put a turbo on the cobalt with the super and make crazy HP no problem
Old 04-22-2005, 12:00 PM

Hey thanks for the feedback,

funny enough I just made up my mind and I'll go for the Cobalt SS/sc.... why? u ask, well I think u were right about the overall car thing.

I do have 2 minor worries though,

1) aftermarked and well simply boosting the performance (sadly I'm not too experienced with SCs either.... ok u may get a laugh out of this one but.... BOV, can u put it on a SC car? and is it still as effective as on Turboed cars?

2) overall performance.... how far can this engine be taken with stock internals (that will give me an idea on the engine itself), does anyone here know?

Now the reason for my change of mind .... The interior is pretty damn nice, and yes I know I said the SRT-4s is good enough for me but man the cobalts SS/sc's is pretty cool .

I just hope that I can at least get somewhere close with the performance to the SRT-4 as that is my priority still.

btw.... does anyone know how it sounds with the stock exhaust? compared to the SRT-4?

thanks again
Old 04-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is really no telling at this point how easy it's going to be to mod the Cobalt SS/SC. In stock form the SRT-4 is about the same performance wise with the SS/SC. We had all argued about the motortrend numbers and I am definetly willing to believe a stock SRT-4 is a bit faster than a stock SS/SC. But they are darn close.

I definetly have faith that the SS/SC will be easy to mod. The car hasn't had the best launch and I think the aftermarket vendors haven't had the best opportunitys to get their hands on the car and get parts researched and created.

If you want/need a new car right now then your best chance is just about anything other than the SS/SC. I waited 6 months for mine and it seems we are going to have ppl on the board who will have waited longer.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:02 PM

I think it all depends on personal preference. I for one think that the Cobalt even though the plastic surfaces are painted, they may LOOK nicer, it's 6's in "quality" The only real TRUE quality in the Cobalt over the SRT-4 is the cobalt front seats are actually leather trimmed. the SRT is not. On that note, the SRT has over 10 years of performance design and REAL SCCA and drag experience with the PVO team and people like Darrell ***. Now that's not to say that the Cobalt SS/SC will have that, but the Dodge literally has a 10 year head start. I like the added room in the SRT. The slightly lower cost (not enough to honestly make that big a deal) I think both cars look equal on the "cool factor" So in conclusion, drive them both back to back and make your choice then
Old 04-22-2005, 02:19 PM

i'm trying to decide between the 2 right now 2 bro.... its about to drive me insane, i'm soon gonna say f**k it and buy the 2 of em haha i like how the SS can out handel the srt-4 and i like how its a 2 door....... on the other hand i like how the srt-4 is turbocharged and can handel up to 500hp without a build up on the motor........ so yeah i donno what to buy, i'm kinda leaning to the ss.... because i'm a chevy guy (lol) if i buy the ss i gonna probly turbo charge it.........
Old 04-22-2005, 04:30 PM

SS vs SRT

Take a look at the latest Motor Trend mag, it has a comparison of the two, on news stands now. Other than this test drive them both, and decide. As far as quality, the Cobalt is definitely better built, and the 2.0 thats in the SS has tons of aftermarket support and experience. Just give them time to catch up to the cobalt, as it is a new car, in every way.
TO EVERYONE !!!! If you don't want to wait to get a CobaltSS, or are afraid you won't get one before 06 at all, PITTSBURGH. There are 7 SS's in the pittsburgh area, 5 red, 1 yellow & 1 silver. There are 3 in West Verginia and 2 in OHIO right now that I know of. I know this because I just bought one 2 weeks ago. All are pretty much loaded. I have all options except XM radio and paid $24443.10 final cost, including taxes.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by redrocket
Take a look at the latest Motor Trend mag, it has a comparison of the two, on news stands now. Other than this test drive them both, and decide. As far as quality, the Cobalt is definitely better built, and the 2.0 thats in the SS has tons of aftermarket support and experience. Just give them time to catch up to the cobalt, as it is a new car, in every way.
TO EVERYONE !!!! If you don't want to wait to get a CobaltSS, or are afraid you won't get one before 06 at all, PITTSBURGH. There are 7 SS's in the pittsburgh area, 5 red, 1 yellow & 1 silver. There are 3 in West Verginia and 2 in OHIO right now that I know of. I know this because I just bought one 2 weeks ago. All are pretty much loaded. I have all options except XM radio and paid $24443.10 final cost, including taxes.
There are that many everywhere that I have looked in my area, NY, CT area... maybe people just want to order it the way they like
Old 04-22-2005, 05:04 PM

[QUOTE=T-Rex]1) aftermarked and well simply boosting the performance (sadly I'm not too experienced with SCs either.... ok u may get a laugh out of this one but.... BOV, can u put it on a SC car? and is it still as effective as on Turboed cars?[QUOTE]

A BOV is a blow off valve, basicly just releases extra pressure from the boost
Old 04-22-2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by redrocket

Don't let a magazine with bias and retards driving the cars, make your choice for you. In all honesty the "quality" on the interior is pretty much identical with the exception of the leather trimmed seats in the cobalt (please note the word "trimmed") The cars that are peforming in those time categories are so far departed from the production pieces that your daily driver/weekend racers will NEVER be able to attain. So using them as a measuring stick is like comparing the cars in Nascar to production cars. The look kinda like the production models but share usually less than 20% of production compoents, not only IN the car but the powerplant, transmission etc.
Like I said earlier, drive them both back to back, then compare them side by side with how you'll be actually using the cars, trunk space, back seat, getting in and out, etc. The SRT seats can literally catch your nuts if you exit the wrong way, but I guarantee that you'll only do it once. Then considier how much of your stuff you can fit into the car, I mean take YOUR time, don't let the salesmen push you around, tell the dude/gal to just hush while you think. Then look at what the MANUFACTURER has to offer to increase the performance. Not necessarily the aftermarket. Because the Cobalt SS/SC is such a new platform, not only will there be a lack of aftermarket for a while, but the testing behind which aftermarket goodies are good, and which suck ass. That holds true with ANY brand of new car. Hope this helps
Old 04-22-2005, 05:37 PM

the 2.0 is not a new engine to GM, it has been used in saab's for years, saab uses a turbo charger instead of a supercharger is the only key difference. this is a engine that has been proven to handle boost for years of enjoyment. also about the neons "10 years of experience" the cavalier has been out for 20 years now, the cobalt is just a MAJORLY updated cavalier with a much better body, chassie, and interior. there is alot of suport aftermarket for the cavi, and some of the parts are carrying over since they have the same base engine. after market support for the cobalt is going to blow your mind. one of the many reasons i cant wait to get one.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by jzchev28
the cavalier has been out for 20 years now, the cobalt is just a MAJORLY updated cavalier with a much better body, chassie, and interior.
No no no no no no... It's not a majorly updated Cavalier! The Cavalier was on the J-body platform. This is on the Delta platform. It is 100% new. You might as well say the Jetta, Civic, Corolla, and even the Neon are just majorly updated Cavaliers by a different company.

Please do not fool others into thinking this way!
Old 04-22-2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vooduguru
I think it all depends on personal preference. I for one think that the Cobalt even though the plastic surfaces are painted, they may LOOK nicer, it's 6's in "quality" The only real TRUE quality in the Cobalt over the SRT-4 is the cobalt front seats are actually leather trimmed. the SRT is not.
I'm not sure what Neon's you've been in, but the 6-year old designed Neons I have been in are nothing like a Cobalt SS interior.

Anyway... I think for "raw power" the SRT-4 is a better choice.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by ssstraub
I'm not sure what Neon's you've been in, but the 6-year old designed Neons I have been in are nothing like a Cobalt SS interior.

Anyway... I think for "raw power" the SRT-4 is a better choice.
I've been in neons for the last 7 years. Trust me, the interiors aren't that dissimilar from any other compact car, with the exception being the MSP.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:35 AM

Thanks guys,

Great help everyone, hmm.... it is a bit tough to decide between the 2 but I think that I'll just have to wait to actually drive the Cobalt.

Oh and Jzchev28, I know what a BOV is, My question is just more about the SC, since I don't have too much expirience with them.... will a BOV affect the performance the same on a SC as on a Turbo? sorry, maybe I just worded my question wrong but thanks anyways. .... hmm come to think, it should be the same since the idea is the same but whatever, what do u think? I just wanna make sure

About the interior.... hmm....well from what I've seen there is a bit of a difference but then again both have certain generallization in common like.... simplicity (unlike the RSX which is a bit fancier if u know what I mean). Still I do like the Cobalt interior a bit more but then again I don't care that much about that and rather would focus on the performance and capabillities and anyways I have never actually been inside any Cobalt for that matter and can't really judge the interior on the Cobalt SS/sc.

Damn just so tough to decide, I need performance and I want to be able to mod it of course so which one is a.... more stable platform if u will for future overall performance? I heard lots of good things about the "delta" but honestly what scares me about the Cobalt SS/sc is the engine and drivetrain. Those need to be able to handle some ponies for me

Anyways, thanks everyone for the great feedback

Old 04-24-2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Thanks guys,

Great help everyone, hmm.... it is a bit tough to decide between the 2 but I think that I'll just have to wait to actually drive the Cobalt.

Oh and Jzchev28, I know what a BOV is, My question is just more about the SC, since I don't have too much expirience with them.... will a BOV affect the performance the same on a SC as on a Turbo? sorry, maybe I just worded my question wrong but thanks anyways. .... hmm come to think, it should be the same since the idea is the same but whatever, what do u think? I just wanna make sure

About the interior.... hmm....well from what I've seen there is a bit of a difference but then again both have certain generallization in common like.... simplicity (unlike the RSX which is a bit fancier if u know what I mean). Still I do like the Cobalt interior a bit more but then again I don't care that much about that and rather would focus on the performance and capabillities and anyways I have never actually been inside any Cobalt for that matter and can't really judge the interior on the Cobalt SS/sc.

Damn just so tough to decide, I need performance and I want to be able to mod it of course so which one is a.... more stable platform if u will for future overall performance? I heard lots of good things about the "delta" but honestly what scares me about the Cobalt SS/sc is the engine and drivetrain. Those need to be able to handle some ponies for me

well any doubts about SRT performance just look at my sig, I have a SS on order but I love the SRT-4 and anybody that thinks the srt cannot handle well have not driven a mopar coilover equipped SRT they are INCREDIBLE! Anyhow for daily use the SS will be fine but when I want to kick A$$ the SRT will be my weapon of choice!
Old 04-24-2005, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Thanks guys,

Do yourself a favor, when you sit in the Cobalt, do some knuckle rapping on the dashboard. You'll see
Old 04-25-2005, 12:15 AM
Banned

Do yourself a favor, when you sit in the Cobalt, do some knuckle rapping on the dashboard. You'll see
I sat in both the Cobalt SS S/C and SRT-4 at the NY Auto Show, and I thouroughly checked out both interiors, since comparisions between the two always come up. As far as quality goes, you're not even in the ballpark.

I must say there is really no comparison in terms of quality and driving position. The Cobalt looks and feels like a brand new vehicle, while the SRT-4 feels like a 6 year old Neon with racing seats and a boost gauge - which is what it pretty much is.

When I sat in the Cobalt, I made sure to check out every surface and panel, and I must say I was very impressed. The seats (non-Recaro) were rich, quality leather, and the driving position was perfect. Plenty of leg room up front (I'm almost 6ft and there was still a ton of room between my knees and the dash) and the bolsters were supportive enough without being uncomfortable.

The Cobalt's dash is a nicely grained hard black plastic, and it feels solid as a rock, no chinsy/flimsy plastic to crack, warp, squeak, or otherwise fall apart. The interior panel gaps were also excellent, and the center stack felt like something you would find in a car costing much more than $21K. Plastics were all low-gloss and nicely textured. The shifter also felt great, it was easy to find all the gears (even reverse), and the throws were quick and precise. Overall I was very impressed.

The SRT-4's interior is not bad, but as I said above, its standard Neon quality. The "soft touch" dash is Dodge's effort to make the interior not appear cheap, but all it really does is rubberize all the panels, which in turn collects dirt/dust easier. The seats were nice, but there's no way that I would want to ride in them for longer than a short trip. Driving position was very upright, so much so that the shifter has to be about a foot tall just so the driver can reach it. Throws were precise, but by no means short whatsoever. The CD player is way under the dash, which makes it nearly impossible to change CD's while trying to drive. It took me a while to even find it hidden all the way under there.

The dash layout in the SRT-4 is old-school - it curves outwards towards the passengers, than back underneath down to the footwells - so the whole center stack is tilted towards the floor. Take a look at any newly designed car, and you will notice that the dash comes out from the windshield and then tapers down to the center stack, towards the cabin. It gives the car a more spacious feel, not to mention its much more ergonomic in terms of HVAC/Radio controls.

Overall they were both nice cars, but theres no doubt that the Cobalt SS S/C has a nicer interior than the SRT-4. Its not even worth debating about, and anyone that says different is just plain being foolish and ignorant.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
I sat in both the Cobalt SS S/C and SRT-4 at the NY Auto Show, and I thouroughly checked out both interiors, since comparisions between the two always come up. As far as quality goes, you're not even in the ballpark.
seems as if you're stating opinion. Thank you, next plz.

I must say there is really no comparison in terms of quality and driving position. The Cobalt looks and feels like a brand new vehicle, while the SRT-4 feels like a 6 year old Neon with racing seats and a boost gauge - which is what it pretty much is.
Well I should hope so. I mean a 23 year old platform for the J-body wasn't at all "old" What did you expect from a new platform? Oh and FYI the SRT-4 and the PL body (2nd gen) are only in their 3rd model year of production, not 6th. (The PL was introduced as a 2000 m/y, then the SRT came out 3 years later) So you're saying that the Cobalt SS/SC has a completely different interior, dash, seats, headliner, plastic content, and seating arrangement from the regular cobalt? Wow, that's amazing.

When I sat in the Cobalt, I made sure to check out every surface and panel, and I must say I was very impressed.
It was a totally NEW car, I mean what were you expecting?

The seats (non-Recaro) were rich, quality leather,
Actually no, the seats are rich quality vinyl with leather trim under your bum.

and the driving position was perfect. Plenty of leg room up front (I'm almost 6ft and there was still a ton of room between my knees and the dash) and the bolsters were supportive enough without being uncomfortable.
Again, stating opinion. My wife is 6 foot tall and mostly legs. She has plenty of room for her to sit comfortably AND I can sit behind her (I'm 5'8") in the back seat comfortably with no problems whatsoever. Now I will admit that the "racing seats" are uncomfortable for those of the pudgy persuasion so maybe you're a bit of a bigger fella?

The Cobalt's dash is a nicely grained hard black plastic, and it feels solid as a rock, no chinsy/flimsy plastic to crack, warp, squeak, or otherwise fall apart.
Again talking out your butt, if plastic is HARD and SOLID then it's MORE likely to crack and fall apart because it can't flex and expand and contract as easily as the "rubberized" plastic on other cars.

The interior panel gaps were also excellent, and the center stack felt like something you would find in a car costing much more than $21K. Plastics were all low-gloss and nicely textured. The shifter also felt great, it was easy to find all the gears (even reverse), and the throws were quick and precise. Overall I was very impressed.
The Cobalt SS/SC that was at the auto show I went to the car had a combination of a very glossy painted finish with some center areas being a low gloss finish. Paint can deteriorate in the envrionment of an automotive interior, so I really don't think that painted has an advantage over the other type of interior finishes in other brands. I don't know about you but I've never had a problem finding gears in a simple H shift configuration car regardless of make, model.

The SRT-4's interior is not bad, but as I said above, its standard Neon quality.
The Cobalt SS/SC is the same level of quality as the regular Cobalt. The only difference is the seating frames, the materials/patterns of the seats, and oh yea the boost gauge.

The "soft touch" dash is Dodge's effort to make the interior not appear cheap, but all it really does is rubberize all the panels, which in turn collects dirt/dust easier.
listen to yourself. The interior on the Cobalt is going to collect dust just as easy as any other car. Regardless of brand. The only way that statement would EVER hold any water would be that the interior of the neon excretes some sort of sticky "sweat" to attract more dust then any other car. You are clearly new to the car market. I have over 20 years under my belt there son. Trust me, the Cobalt interior materials will collect dust just as easy as a BMW or a Yugo. :rofl:

The seats were nice, but there's no way that I would want to ride in them for longer than a short trip. Driving position was very upright, so much so that the shifter has to be about a foot tall just so the driver can reach it. Throws were precise, but by no means short whatsoever.
Maybe you didn't recline the seat or slide it forward or back to see how much adjustment there really was. Now considering that Dodge doesn't advertise that the stock shifter isn't a short throw then I don't know why you would expect it to be one when Chevrolet advertises that the SS/SC has a short throw. But just FYI, Mopar offers a short throw shifter assembly for about 120 bucks. I'd like to also see a measurement of the SRT shifter that shows that it's a foot long from the fulcrum point to the end of the knob.

The CD player is way under the dash, which makes it nearly impossible to change CD's while trying to drive.
Really?

You know I'm looking at this picture and the CD player is in plain view. Now if you're referring to the 6 disc changer, why would you be changing CD's in a multi disc changer WHILE driving? I mean is it the fault of the manufacturers fault that it's not convenient to change all 6 discs while eating, talking on the phone, smoking a cigarette, and driving and shifting all at the same time, damn that car MUST BE a POS.

It took me a while to even find it hidden all the way under there.
It's generally a good idea to know where everything is in a cars interior before driving it.

The dash layout in the SRT-4 is old-school - it curves outwards towards the passengers, than back underneath down to the footwells - so the whole center stack is tilted towards the floor. Take a look at any newly designed car, and you will notice that the dash comes out from the windshield and then tapers down to the center stack, towards the cabin. It gives the car a more spacious feel, not to mention its much more ergonomic in terms of HVAC/Radio controls.

To me it looks like the HVAC controls are lower and farther away from the driver, yea the CD insert is a bit higher up on the dash but I really don't find myself changing CD's all that often. I have like 2 MP3 discs that have over 120 tracks on each one and I find that the eclectic selection on those discs does me good enough I never have to change discs while driving. It's not safe donchaknow? It also looks to me that the high contrast siverface gauges in the SRT-4 are easier to read because of the high contrast rather than the "old school" black face gauges in the Cobalt. Also the non modern dash of the SRT has a convenient place to stick my sunglasses, and/or phone that's easily accessible at arms reach. The HVAC controls are easier to reach and give me more comfort control options than the Cobalt.
Overall they were both nice cars, but theres no doubt that the Cobalt SS S/C has a nicer interior than the SRT-4. Its not even worth debating about, and anyone that says different is just plain being foolish and ignorant.
It's clear that you have your preferences for your reasons and others have their preferences for their reasons, but calling someone foolish and ignorant because they don't agree with you is in and of itself foolish and ignorant.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:25 AM

seems as if you're stating opinion. Thank you, next plz.

Well I should hope so. I mean a 23 year old platform for the J-body wasn't at all "old" What did you expect from a new platform? Oh and FYI the SRT-4 and the PL body (2nd gen) are only in their 3rd model year of production, not 6th. (The PL was introduced as a 2000 m/y, then the SRT came out 3 years later) So you're saying that the Cobalt SS/SC has a completely different interior, dash, seats, headliner, plastic content, and seating arrangement from the regular cobalt? Wow, that's amazing.

It was a totally NEW car, I mean what were you expecting?

Actually no, the seats are rich quality vinyl with leather trim under your bum.

Again, stating opinion. My wife is 6 foot tall and mostly legs. She has plenty of room for her to sit comfortably AND I can sit behind her (I'm 5'8") in the back seat comfortably with no problems whatsoever. Now I will admit that the "racing seats" are uncomfortable for those of the pudgy persuasion so maybe you're a bit of a bigger fella?

Again talking out your butt, if plastic is HARD and SOLID then it's MORE likely to crack and fall apart because it can't flex and expand and contract as easily as the "rubberized" plastic on other cars.

The Cobalt SS/SC that was at the auto show I went to the car had a combination of a very glossy painted finish with some center areas being a low gloss finish. Paint can deteriorate in the envrionment of an automotive interior, so I really don't think that painted has an advantage over the other type of interior finishes in other brands. I don't know about you but I've never had a problem finding gears in a simple H shift configuration car regardless of make, model.

The Cobalt SS/SC is the same level of quality as the regular Cobalt. The only difference is the seating frames, the materials/patterns of the seats, and oh yea the boost gauge.

listen to yourself. The interior on the Cobalt is going to collect dust just as easy as any other car. Regardless of brand. The only way that statement would EVER hold any water would be that the interior of the neon excretes some sort of sticky "sweat" to attract more dust then any other car. You are clearly new to the car market. I have over 20 years under my belt there son. Trust me, the Cobalt interior materials will collect dust just as easy as a BMW or a Yugo. :rofl:

Maybe you didn't recline the seat or slide it forward or back to see how much adjustment there really was. Now considering that Dodge doesn't advertise that the stock shifter isn't a short throw then I don't know why you would expect it to be one when Chevrolet advertises that the SS/SC has a short throw. But just FYI, Mopar offers a short throw shifter assembly for about 120 bucks. I'd like to also see a measurement of the SRT shifter that shows that it's a foot long from the fulcrum point to the end of the knob.

Really?

You know I'm looking at this picture and the CD player is in plain view. Now if you're referring to the 6 disc changer, why would you be changing CD's in a multi disc changer WHILE driving? I mean is it the fault of the manufacturers fault that it's not convenient to change all 6 discs while eating, talking on the phone, smoking a cigarette, and driving and shifting all at the same time, damn that car MUST BE a POS.

It's generally a good idea to know where everything is in a cars interior before driving it.

To me it looks like the HVAC controls are lower and farther away from the driver, yea the CD insert is a bit higher up on the dash but I really don't find myself changing CD's all that often. I have like 2 MP3 discs that have over 120 tracks on each one and I find that the eclectic selection on those discs does me good enough I never have to change discs while driving. It's not safe donchaknow? It also looks to me that the high contrast siverface gauges in the SRT-4 are easier to read because of the high contrast rather than the "old school" black face gauges in the Cobalt. Also the non modern dash of the SRT has a convenient place to stick my sunglasses, and/or phone that's easily accessible at arms reach. The HVAC controls are easier to reach and give me more comfort control options than the Cobalt.

It's clear that you have your preferences for your reasons and others have their preferences for their reasons, but calling someone foolish and ignorant because they don't agree with you is in and of itself foolish and ignorant.

one thing that REALLY irks me is the total lack of gauges and effective measures in the cobalt SS gauge panel, I mean no coolant, oil press gauges, wtf? Coolant at least in a boosted app, not the stupid driver info center coolant gauge a real gauge.......
Old 04-25-2005, 09:43 AM

Wow,

I'm seriously impressed by the feedback . Before stating anything I wanna thank Wes as well as Voodu for their opinions and u have been a great help .

Personally I like the gauges on the SRT-4 much more (that includes the boost and the fact that there is a temp gauge).... then again if u look to the right of the dash and look right around the glove compartment u'll notice that the Cobalt's dash design is a bit.... thicker? larger? call it whatever u want but u can see what I mean, kinda like the look of the dash as a whole (the way it curves down longer and smoother) on the Cobalt. Then again the SRT-4 is an older design and this is just my humble opinion, I'm sure there thousands of people who prefer otherwise and its just a matter of taste. Shifter.... (if u remember my previous posts u know that I test drove the SRT-4.... twice , I know I'm a loser haha) and I think its not nearly a "short throw" but thats besides the point but shifting was fairly quick for a non-short throw and it hit every gear nice and smooth and responded well.... to my style of driving anyways (hard and fast haha ) and also.... loved the look of it with the shift boot and all.... u know what I mean.

Now, as far as driving position.... I'm 6'2'' and I was good with height and in all other aspects too. U know, adjust the seats a bit and u're fine.... those seats are insane man, loved them but then again I can't judge the Cobalt's seats since I never even stood beside a Cobalt SS/sc yet .

Once again though thanks for all the input, opinions, coments, advise and general feedback and btw I may not respond for a couple of days sometimes due to being busy.... *cough* whiskey and go go's *cough* hehe

Old 04-25-2005, 10:03 AM

look at it this way..... at the end of the day do you proudly say i drive a cobalt?
or do you want to say i drive a neon
then you are going to have to try and defend your car choice by makeing it sound a little more manly and say..."well its not just a neon...its an srt4" and to that i would just reply "either way its still just a damn neon"

Old 04-25-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by jzchev28
look at it this way..... at the end of the day do you proudly say i drive a cobalt?
or do you want to say i drive a neon
then you are going to have to try and defend your car choice by makeing it sound a little more manly and say..."well its not just a neon...its an srt4" and to that i would just reply "either way its still just a damn neon"

Dude, that is the lamest reason to pick or not pick a car. Clearly you don't know the illustrious history of the neon in many a racing circuit that the J body NEVER had. Now with the new Cobalt, maybe that will change, but keep in mind DCx has a 10 year head start. I've owned neons for 5 years now and I was a die hard Ford guy, when my wife told me that she wanted a neon I was like HELL NO!!! There's NO way we're getting that POS!

Well after fighting about it for 4 months I gave in and we bought one. But only after driving EVERY damn compact in the market, TWICE. We drove the Ford Escort, the Focus, the Cavalier, the Civic, the Jetta, the SC2, the Daewoo compact, the Sunfire, EVERY DAMN compact new then the same cars used with at least 10,000 miles on them. The NEON (which I was expecting to be dead last) was the ONLY car to feel so close to the way it felt when it was new, that to me was the marque of a quality build. It completely turned my opinions on Dodge on it's ear. The neons that I drove had the exact same steering feel as when they were new, the same tightness, the same responsiveness, shifter felt the same after 10-20k miles etc. Then to interior, yea it had a plasticky interior, but so did every other car we drove, the Cavalier had it worse, the Daewoo was only worse than the others combined.

I loved how forgiving the Neon was in corners and how well the car did just in stock trim on on ramps (this was in late 99, still driving the current model year) The Cavalier felt like a sled with that solid rear axle, the Focus felt similar IN the corner, but the steering lacked feedback, I mean hell the Ford Ranger I had at the time felt better in the steering at 129k miles than the brand new Focus.

So after putting my wife through hell at the dealerships, driving the salesmen crazy driving one car after another, we picked up a used 98 DOHC expresso 4 dr with a 5spd and 21k miles for $8,200. (this was early 2000) Under slight protest at the wife being "right" and her slight tinge of gloating, I was bound and determined to break the neon and I flogged on it mercilessly. The first thing I did to it was put amsoil in it and some Lucas into the trans. Then the beatings began. Over the course of 2 years I put more than 90k miles on it in addition to the 20k or so that was already on it. Autocross events, drag racing at the track and at the illegals, WOT shifts at 7,000 rpm, topping out the speed in 4th gear at 130. Day in day out, every little mod I did on the car to try to break it, didn't work.

I ended up respecting the car for it's ability to take my beatings all day long and come home, and start right up again ready for another day of ritualistic abuse. My wife was so upset that I basically took over the car, she made me get her another one. This one was an R/T loaded, sunroof, power everything and the ONLY problem I had with that car (my wife and I put another 40-50k miles on it in a year) was the sunroof had endless problems with it opening. It would close, but wouldn't open all the way. I sold both neons to get the SRT-4, and ended up buying my wife a Grand Cherokee limited.

So if anyone wonders why I have such deep rooted respect for the neon, it's because like you, I hated the car and didn't know about the history of the car at all. Only through violent beatings did I realize that the car is a very well built car. Easy to get, easy/cheap to mod, easy/cheap to upgrade (I installed all new shocks with only an air gun and a spring compressor, and didn't have to do an alignment after the install) Easy/cheap to get upgraded parts (like rear disc brakes) So with all that I am what you may call a convert.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:34 AM

I dont think your listening to what they said...
Regardless of whether the CObalt SS looks liek a base cobalt inside the SRT looks like the same 98' neon that my girlfriend had...btw she hated it.

His point was that the cobalt SS and i guess the cobalt period has a nice new look as compared to the old worn out neon.

The neon IS dodges BUDGET car regardless

The cobalt is not by a longshot the cheapest car on a chevy lot, thats what the cavalier and the aveo and things like that are for.

Quick Reply: Need some advice/opinions :)