General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

New to the LSJ, have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the LSJ, have a few questions. Picked up the SS!

Hi everyone,

First off I'll introduce myself. I'm Kyle and I'm about to be the owner of a 2006 Cobalt SS/SC. For the past 4 years I drove and modded a 1999 Grand Prix GTP, but I got tired of it and wanted something new. The GTP was mildly modded, I had headers, a borla catback, 1.9 rockers, 3.4 pulley, custom wideband tune, yada yada and it make 245HP and 326 ft-lbs at the wheels on the dyno in the spring of 2009. I had bought a cam, intercooler, race trans all all kinda of stuff to do a all out build but got into motorcycles and lost interest so I sold that stuff.

I suppose I'll throw up a picture of my car and my bike as well.

Here's my GTP that's now demodded and sold

Here's my bike (I sold the Suzuki as well):

Anyhow, I've been creepin' on your forum here for a few weeks because I was considering getting a SS/SC to replace my GTP I sold a few weeks ago. I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on one and I'm picking it up Tuesday.

I've done a lot of reading and searching over the past few weeks but I still have a few questions. I figured I'd combine all of my noob questions into one post rather than clutter up your forum with 5 different threads. I found some thread that somewhat answered some questions I have, but the search function seems to return a lot more of what I'm not looking for than what I am looking for. I apologize in advance because I'm sure some of you guys are sick of seeing the same questions over and over.

1. I am buying a set of Vibrant headers and a Magnaflow catback. Does an engine or trans mount need to be replaced to keep the exhaust from hitting something? If so, what mount(s)?

2. Along with the headers and catback, would an intake and ZZP's stage 3 kit (and a tune obviously, I know enough about tuning from working on my GTP and I have access to a HPtuner) get me close to the same WHP numbers that my GTP had? I'd like to see at least 250 at the wheels. It would be nice to have the same power as my GTP but in a smaller, lighter car.

3. I have an Alpine HU, Alpine Type-r 12" sub and a Alpine 500w amp I pulled out of my GTP to put into whatever car I got next. What do I need to do to get the alpine HU, amp and sub to cooperate with the pioneer system in the cobalt? My GTP had a Bose system and I had to run a PAC-OEM2 to make the HU communicate with the factory amp, I'm assuming something similar must be done here?

3.5 Can I run my 12" type-R and the stock sub together (even if the stock has to be run with the stock amp and the Alpine with the Alpine amp?

4. The passenger rear tire of the SS I'm picking up is worn much more on the inside than any of the other tires. They were all replaced at the same time (about a year ago) and were not rotated. Is the rear suspension align-able or am I going to be replacing parts to get everything straight?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I enjoy this car (I really wanted a 04-05 WRX but couldn't find any non-salvaged ones for sale around where I live) and maybe I'll meet some of you guys along the way somewhere.

-Kyle

Last edited by Kyle_06_SS; 09-15-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Banned

1. no
2. yes, nowhere close to the torque but it'll beat out your hp if you get a custom tune by 20-40hp depending on pulley injectors and tune
3. dont do audio
3.5 see above
4. not sure, want to say should be able to just go get an alignment but not 100% sure
Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 AM

Thanks man.

Why do you say not to do audio? Weight or headache?
Old 09-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Banned

oh no i was just saying that i don't do anything in the audio dept i've had a sub in my room for a year to go in my car, it makes a good box holder
Old 09-11-2010, 01:12 AM

1.will not hit any thing. on a 06ss/sc "WHEEL HOP" is really big. maybe get ottp stage 1 or 2 mounts
2.headers, catback, tune and stage kit should be around close
3.not sure. i have pioneer hu
3.5.not sure
4.have to buy parts
Old 09-11-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

I like that GTP alot. What part of ohio?

1. I am buying a set of Vibrant headers and a Magnaflow catback. Does an engine or trans mount need to be replaced to keep the exhaust from hitting something? If so, what mount(s)?

For wheel hop either be good at letting the clutch out but I have ottp stage 1 mounts and makes things much nicer.

2. Along with the headers and catback, would an intake and ZZP's stage 3 kit (and a tune obviously, I know enough about tuning from working on my GTP and I have access to a HPtuner) get me close to the same WHP numbers that my GTP had? I'd like to see at least 250 at the wheels. It would be nice to have the same power as my GTP but in a smaller, lighter car.

With stage 3 you will be getting there

3. I have an Alpine HU, Alpine Type-r 12" sub and a Alpine 500w amp I pulled out of my GTP to put into whatever car I got next. What do I need to do to get the alpine HU, amp and sub to cooperate with the pioneer system in the cobalt? My GTP had a Bose system and I had to run a PAC-OEM2 to make the HU communicate with the factory amp, I'm assuming something similar must be done here?

I have a metra harness and I took the stock amp out of the car and ran new wires for my audio install, I picked up alot of noise when I didn't

3.5 Can I run my 12" type-R and the stock sub together (even if the stock has to be run with the stock amp and the Alpine with the Alpine amp?

I'd just run one amp take the stocker out. Its gonna be a rattle box with much more than a stock amp though.

4. The passenger rear tire of the SS I'm picking up is worn much more on the inside than any of the other tires. They were all replaced at the same time (about a year ago) and were not rotated. Is the rear suspension align-able or am I going to be replacing parts to get everything straight?

Shop I took my car too was able to get the rear lined up again. Most say no though.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gregory923
I like that GTP alot. What part of ohio?
Thanks man. I miss my GTP, I loved it, just lost interest in modding it and wanted something newer and with less miles.

I'm from Southington, but I commute from there to KSU main and work at a motorcycle dealership in Canton (Used to go to school out there but it got too expensive) . If you draw a line straight north and another straight west of Canton, I could be anywhere in that area
Old 09-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kyle_06_SS
Thanks man. I miss my GTP, I loved it, just lost interest in modding it and wanted something newer and with less miles.

I'm from Southington, but I commute from there to KSU main and work at a motorcycle dealership in Canton (Used to go to school out there but it got too expensive) . If you draw a line straight north and another straight west of Canton, I could be anywhere in that area
I goto KSU Main too lol

I live in Green so I'm sure we will cross paths eventually.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:22 AM
Bannned

your header/exhaust idea... better brands/products out there. you will want a 3" dp and motor/tranny mounts. dont just do motor mounts without the tranny mounts and vise versa. look at OTTP stage kits. and the number one thing you should have besides an intake, is a Heat exchanger.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by ColeJJones
your header/exhaust idea... better brands/products out there. you will want a 3" dp and motor/tranny mounts. dont just do motor mounts without the tranny mounts and vise versa. look at OTTP stage kits. and the number one thing you should have besides an intake, is a Heat exchanger.
I"m getting a good deal on the headers/exhaust, I know there's better stuff out there but this will work for all the more I'm looking to do, and I'll be upgrading the FMHE with the stage 3 when I order a stage 3 kit from ZZP.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:36 AM
Bannned

there is a reason why your getting a good deal.... and its worthless to run an exhaust without a DP...
Old 09-11-2010, 02:45 AM

the vibrant set up is a combo, header and downpipe and not to mention its the **** iv had it on my car for 3 years and its awesome
Old 09-11-2010, 06:01 PM

there is a reason why your getting a good deal.... and its worthless to run an exhaust without a DP...
When I said headers, assumed that it would be understood that they come with a downpipe since vibrant headers only work with their downpipe...
Old 09-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Bannned

When I said headers, assumed that it would be understood that they come with a downpipe since vibrant headers only work with their downpipe...
you mean header? and its not uncommon to mix and match DPs...
Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 PM

you mean header? and its not uncommon to mix and match DPs...
Right, header. Coming from a car that I had installed "headers" on, I'm still used to saying "headers." My bad. It's shame no one will know what I'm talking about if I add an "s" at the end of the word...The downpipe I had with my TOG "headers" on my GTP was specific to them and couldn't be mix and matched with any other brand of downpipe either.

It is uncommon to mix and match DPs with vibrant headers, because from what I've read, Vibrant's downpipe is the only one that fits and is also not sold separately from the "header."
Old 09-11-2010, 07:38 PM

All these are good parts

Engine/Trans
OTTP stage 1 or 2 rotated trans mounts these cars wheel hop bad
OTTP or ZZP 3" intake if you like to hear your whine
OTTP or ZZP Dual Pass End Plate
OTTP, ZZP, or CED Option B Kit
OTTP or Powell Griffin Heat Exchanger...only one really worth buying, it replaces the stocker and you wont need any other H/E
OTTP or ZZP Stage 2 Kit

Suspension
OTTP, CED, or Powell SS/TC Shock/Strut with Pedders Lowering Spring Combo and Steering rack spacers to compensate for the 1.5" drop
OTTP or Powell "Street" or "Hardcore" Rear Sway Bar
OTTP (and im sure other places I cant think of top of my head)Powergrid Front Sway Bar End Links
Powell Seat Belt Harness Bar

Last edited by RooTBeeR; 09-11-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RooTBeeR
OTTP stage 1 or 2 rotated trans mounts
OTTP or ZZP 3" intake
OTTP or ZZP Dual Pass End Plate
OTTP, ZZP, or CED Option B Kit
OTTP Griffin Heat Exchanger...only one really worth buying, it replaces the stocker and you wont need any other H/E
OTTP or ZZP Stage 2 Kit

^^^^^^^^this
Old 09-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Bannned

Right, header. Coming from a car that I had installed "headers" on, I'm still used to saying "headers." My bad. It's shame no one will know what I'm talking about if I add an "s" at the end of the word...The downpipe I had with my TOG "headers" on my GTP was specific to them and couldn't be mix and matched with any other brand of downpipe either.

It is uncommon to mix and match DPs with vibrant headers, because from what I've read, Vibrant's downpipe is the only one that fits and is also not sold separately from the "header."
.... you know it all.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:04 PM

.... you know it all.
IIRC vibrant header is a mid-length so only the vibrant dp will bolt up

Last edited by RooTBeeR; 09-12-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Banned

Haha get em bro

IIRC vibrant header is a mid-length so only the vibrant dp will bolt up
orlywouldveneverguessed
Old 09-12-2010, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by 05Slowline
Haha get em bro

orlywouldveneverguessed
hes a marine...nuff said

Last edited by RooTBeeR; 09-12-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:49 AM

i wanna say ive seen your car posted before.. were you on ClubGP.com?

but away. coming from a GTP you should know about ZZP pretty well lol

i say you should poke around and take a look at a few of the sites before ya decide. the bigger ones are..

ZZPerformance
OTTP - Over The Top Performance
TTR - Turbo Tech Racing

congrats on the new car.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zzp all day
Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

hes a marine...nuff said
?????????? 6 posts before yours he stated himself that he knows only the vibrant dp will fit the vibrant header....
Old 09-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 05Slowline
?????????? 6 posts before yours he stated himself that he knows only the vibrant dp will fit the vibrant header....
lol i was talking about coles post about mixing/matching headers/dp's and telling the op he must know it all as if cole knew better than us all...

Quick Reply: New to the LSJ, have a few questions.