General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below
View Poll Results: What to do with exhaust..??
Leave the GMPP as is..
28.57%
Replace the muffler with an N1, but leave the resonator..
71.43%
Replace the muffler with an N1 and replace the resonator with a glasspack..
0%
Replace the muffler with a Thrush Turbo and replace the resonator with a glasspack..
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

poll: what to do with exhaust..??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
poll: what to do with exhaust..??

Hey guys,

So, I've got the GMPP Performance catback on the ride. I bought it used, so really didn't know any of the history of it. The situation is that ever since I got it (like 2 years ago) it's always seemed really loud.. I'll have my car next to another Cobalt with the same set-up, and mine is always louder. Same mods and setup. I'm wondering if the resonator and/or the muffler is "blown"? Luckily, I have a friend who owns a garage, and he's gonna do a cut-n-weld for me for next to nothing. But my situation is this.. I like the look of the "touring" style exhausts like the GMPP ones where theres a canister, then tubing, then a tip. But I also like the look for the N1 set-ups that use an "N1 canister" at the end, and that's it. Some do look really bad (and sound bad too!) but I've also seen some that look incredible and sound even better. And the N1's look REALLY good under the 2.4 rear bumper. Seriously. If done right, it looks great. So my situation is this.. Try to replace just the muffler with an N1 and see if it's any better, or replace the muffler with an N1 and the resonator with a glasspack (have one left over from my Olds) or do the glasspack resonator and a Thrush Turbo muffler? I already own the Thrush and glasspack, but not sure on what a glasspack would sound like on a 4 cylinder.. It's not too loud on my Olds (at all), but who knows? And, for the record, I wouldn't get a cheap eBay N1. I'd spend the money and actually get a good HKS, Apexi, etc one that is free-flowing, but still solid and quiet decibels.. Plus then it won't rust out in a week..

Ideas..?? Thanks!!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:23 PM

you want a borla muffler they are quiet and stainless just put on a tip NO thrush
Old 09-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

I've had both GMPP exhausts on my old SS/SC and as they got older the louder they got . Even the touring when it had 9K miles on it ... got to the point that it sounded like a new performance exhaust.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:58 PM

Yeah, it's really raspy and airy.. At idle on a cold morning it sounds like a modified WRX.. lol Its fine at idle , but as soon as you put any throttle on, it's really loud.. lol