General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Pursuit GT, will there be a GTP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pursuit GT, will there be a GTP?

Pontiac has released the Pursuit GT in Canada which is basically the equivalent of a Cobalt SS n/a. This makes me wonder whether they are planning on a Pursuit GTP which will be the Cobalt SS/SC equivalent. Does anyone have any insight on this?

here's some pics of the Pursuit GT http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehi..._gall_ext.html
Old 11-10-2005, 01:25 AM

Not likely. The Pursuit is a Canada-only model, so I would be surprised. Especially since the Cobalt SS-SC is a GM Performance Division product. If you want that car you need to buy the chevy version. Plus, the Cobalt SS-SC has been around for almost two years, so it seems unlikely that they would release a Pontiac one now!

I'd bet good money that there will be no supercharged Pursuit.

Just my $0.02!
Old 11-10-2005, 01:47 AM

the salesperson told me there could be a 2.4 turbo version........but hey.......sometimes i think i know more than they do......
Old 11-10-2005, 12:20 PM

I'm sorry, but Gm did this all wrong. Pontiac is the performance division. They should have given chevy the 2.2L and 2.4L only, in sedan and coupe form, and given the US and Canada the Pursuit in 2.4L and 2.0L S/C GTP version. Basically keeping Chevy true to the basic yet reliable transportation theme (save for the vette) and given pontiac the upper hand with just the more performance oriented versions of the same car.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by saturnd00d
I'm sorry, but Gm did this all wrong. Pontiac is the performance division. They should have given chevy the 2.2L and 2.4L only, in sedan and coupe form, and given the US and Canada the Pursuit in 2.4L and 2.0L S/C GTP version. Basically keeping Chevy true to the basic yet reliable transportation theme (save for the vette) and given pontiac the upper hand with just the more performance oriented versions of the same car.
I am sure glad they gave the 2.0 LSJ to the cobalt, because I definetly don't care for the Pontiac styling.

I also think they wanted to race the cobalt in GAC, various drag class and I don't think GM races any Pontiacs do they? Typically the races cars for GM are always a chevrolet. Bar the CTS-V race car as an exception.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by saturnd00d
Why does Chevrolet not deserve any performance cars? Back in the muscle-car era there were tons! Chevelles, Camaros, Corvettes, Malibus, Impalas, etc.!

Damn right Chevy got the 2.0L SS-SC Cobalt. If Chevrolet is the affordable, value division, would it not make sense to give them the lowest cost entery into GM's performance division???? Of course we all know that it is certainly not the slowest entry by any means.

Besides, Pontiac already has the G6 GTP, the Grand Prix GTP, the new Solstice, and the GTO. Thank God that Chevy got the Cobalt SS-SC! Chevy had a series of crappy vehicles (with the obvious exception of the C5 Vette) since the departure of the Impala SS in 1996. About time they brought back the old performance days!

Finally, you need to remember that the Pursuit only exists in Canada. Pontiac dealers were concerned about losing the sunfire to sell, as Canada is a much bigger small car market than the US, so they just changed a few bits on the car and viola....you have a Pursuit. This is rather unfair for Chevy dealerships. What did GM do for them when they lost the entire Oldsmobile division?

Personally, I hate Pontiac, and if any division should have been hacked, it should have been them, not Oldsmobile, GM's best division at the turn of the millenia! I hate how Pontiac gets all the good stuff. Unfortunately most of their product is fairly ugly (except the solstice), and thankfully the same car can be bought at a chevy dealership in most cases (ex. Grand Prix = Impala). I used to laugh at all the Grand Am GT owners who boasted that their cars had 175 HP form their ram-air 3.4L V6's, comparing it to the Olds Alero with the same engine minus 5 ponies. Yet, all that extra plastic body cladding added a fair bit of weight to the GA, offsetting its claimed 5 HP advantage! Chevy has way more history, better cars (can't top the Vette or Z06) and generally kicks the **** out of Pontiac in my opinion!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:15 AM

Uhhh the cobalt hasn't been around for TWO years????
Old 11-11-2005, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mercury
Uhhh the cobalt hasn't been around for TWO years????
Well, two model years. Or about a year and a half if you go from production start.