General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

remote start questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote start questions

I have an 06 ss/sc, which did not come with a remote start. I see how other cars have it so they keep their original FOB when they get one installed. like they can press the lock button 3 times and it will start the car. Is it possible to do something like that with my car? if I installed a remote start, I would want to keep my fob and not have another one on my keys just for starting the car. is the the RCLDR reprogrammable?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your car manual? I know many people opt out of the remote starter option on a manual transmission because it causes alot of issues. It has to bypass the neutral safety switch? Or clutch position sensor? Something like that, anyways my neighbor had one and left it in gear and started her car which proceeded to ram through the garage door. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
If your car is a manual its illegal to install a remote start due to safety reasons, can it be done though? Yes but without any gear indication its up to you to keep the vehicle in neutral if you want to use remote start.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by deviance
Is your car manual? I know many people opt out of the remote starter option on a manual transmission because it causes alot of issues. It has to bypass the neutral safety switch? Or clutch position sensor? Something like that, anyways my neighbor had one and left it in gear and started her car which proceeded to ram through the garage door. Just my 2 cents.

Same thing happened to someone up here when they installed one in their GSR integra back in the day!

People forget hence they dont install them
Old 12-01-2015, 11:58 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
its possible and legal if the alarm has reservation mode. i had a compustar in my old cavalier that had remote start with it. the basic process is before you shut the car off you had to set the parking brake, release your foot from the foot brake, shut the key off. at this point the car would stay running, once you get out of the car and shut the door the car would shut off (or if turbo timer mode is active it would shut off after the programmed time) and the doors would lock. this would allow the car to be remote started, if the conditions wernt met remote start wouldnt work. if the door was opened at any point the car wouldnt be able to be remote started. also if the alarm was set off, it wouldnt allow you to remote start it

it was kind of a pain, however the only actual way you would have been able to start the car in gear was if you left a window down and reached in and put it in gear. however if the alarm was set up half correct the proximity sensor would pick that up and set the alarm off, canceling remote start.