General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

So I got a lawyer...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I got a lawyer...

Update 9/01/07 -- Post #15
Update 9/17/07 -- Post #17
Update 10/1/07 -- Post #18

I don't actually feel like typing my service history out so I am going to make this breif...

My car has had a rediculous amount of things wrong with it. Repeated issues with the breaks, leaks, no starts, electral, fit and finish etc etc...

Looking over the paper work it looks like i have had 28 SEPERATE repair orders for my car (granted there may be multiple repair orders per service) and well over 25 days (not consecutive) in the shop.

About half way through my ordeal (and some fighting with gm) I was given a Major Gaurd Warrenty to 2011 / 90,500 miles. That seemed like it would be fine.

However, I have had yet more problems since then, and recently my car has been leaking. The dealership refused to do it under my extended warrenty and GM CS backed the dealer, so I bit the bullet and paid $100 for it to be fixed. About two weeks later it started leaking yet again. They came back and said it was going to be ~$400 to get it fixed as it involved replacing the sun-roof etc etc...

At this point I contacted a Lemon Law / break of contract / General Car Lawyer. I gave them a brief idea of my case, and they were interested in looking to pursue it.

I faxed over all of my service history to them, and all addition papers they asked for.

Now the wait beings *fingers crossed*

On the plus side, no matter if I win lose or draw, I will not have to pay a penny! The manufacture ponys up.

The kicker is I am outside of the NJ Lemon Law stature (afaik)
My car was purchased June 05 (More then 2 years old) and has 45,060 Miles.
However, they said there was still alot that can be done.

I will keep this thread updated as I progress.

I DO NOT want to post specific in the thread though, but I will answer via PM.

Does anyone have any related stories to tell or similar experiences, please post, I am interested to see if anyone else has pursued this.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited by astrocrep; 10-01-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well that sucks man sorry to hear it. I don't understand why the dealers won't do warrenty work on **** that obviously isn't your fault, like the leaking sunroof, as its a KNOWN problem for the Cobalt.

Well I wish you all the best luck in the world and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get your problems taken care of.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:17 AM

To be honest, I dont know what my personal desired outcome would be, but I think it would be getting a buy-back or some sort of full retail trade in.

I no longer want the car, every other week something is going wrong with it, its abosultly frusturating.

Anyway, I will probably be having a Going back to stock sale sooner or later.

-Rich
Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 AM

damn sorry to hear, expecially to a fellow A. Blue. hope it all works out for ya
Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Banned

welcome to my world.

My car has 67,xxx miles on it. The car from the momment I purchased it has nothing but problems.

I too have a leak, it's located right between the passenger side a-pillar and the roofliner. It leaks when it rains or if I wash my car. The drain hoses keep constantly getting plugged.

I have a 15 page service history with the car.

Including:

*Radio Problems
*Door Handles constantly stick (had to hold my door closed one day with my hand to keep the door closed and my arm out the window when it rained).
*Sunroof trim pieces will NOT stay on even with new clips, assemblies, etc.
*Dash pieces losing paint all the time
*Several sensors keep needing replacement (I cannot keep my battery light off for the life of me).
*The Clutch (I take good care of it) lost it's Clutch Master cylinder because of brakeage.
*Recently the car broke down (because of the Clutch Master Cylinder) and the plate that attaches to the firewall shredded to a point where the master cylinder would not reseat because the dealership used a pry bar to pop my stuck clutch back up and made a mess. They tried charging me $1,000 to put a $50 plate back on the car because it required two day tear down of the dash completely (I have pictures). I did this myself with the help of friends. They said I did it and it was not covered under warranty.
*Supercharger intercool line bracket keeps braking
*Random Brake Loss in the pedal.

I have more things but those are the things that stick out the most in my head. That and having to replace the OEM shifter 3 times before being denied a warranty because they thought I abused it when it was cheap crappy OEM shifter.

The Catalytic converter plugged 6 times and I've replaced a **** load of o2 sensors.

I am going to write a letter to GM and tell them to either fix everything or risk being sued/buy the car back.

Ironically my car is an 05 as well. Built back in January of 05.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:34 AM

I don't get it! Why don't you guys leave the cars parked in a bad area with the windows down for a few days? INSURANCE!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackalope
I don't get it! Why don't you guys leave the cars parked in a bad area with the windows down for a few days? INSURANCE!
Because even the crooks know a lemon when they see one. I've already tried that.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 AM

Lol...

I too have had my shifter replaced twice... the knob keeps falling off... my brakes have been a nightmare... they give out sometimes, they wore an groved badly, my abs unit has been replaced twice, my abs fluid resivior has been leaking and replaced...

I have approx 35 pages of service history

-Rich
Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Because even the crooks know a lemon when they see one. I've already tried that.
leave the key in it next time. maybe they didnt know how to hot wire it..
Old 08-28-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
welcome to my world.

My car has 67,xxx miles on it. The car from the momment I purchased it has nothing but problems.

I too have a leak, it's located right between the passenger side a-pillar and the roofliner. It leaks when it rains or if I wash my car. The drain hoses keep constantly getting plugged.

I have a 15 page service history with the car.

Including:

*Radio Problems
*Door Handles constantly stick (had to hold my door closed one day with my hand to keep the door closed and my arm out the window when it rained).
*Sunroof trim pieces will NOT stay on even with new clips, assemblies, etc.
*Dash pieces losing paint all the time
*Several sensors keep needing replacement (I cannot keep my battery light off for the life of me).
*The Clutch (I take good care of it) lost it's Clutch Master cylinder because of brakeage.
*Recently the car broke down (because of the Clutch Master Cylinder) and the plate that attaches to the firewall shredded to a point where the master cylinder would not reseat because the dealership used a pry bar to pop my stuck clutch back up and made a mess. They tried charging me $1,000 to put a $50 plate back on the car because it required two day tear down of the dash completely (I have pictures). I did this myself with the help of friends. They said I did it and it was not covered under warranty.
*Supercharger intercool line bracket keeps braking
*Random Brake Loss in the pedal.

I have more things but those are the things that stick out the most in my head. That and having to replace the OEM shifter 3 times before being denied a warranty because they thought I abused it when it was cheap crappy OEM shifter.

The Catalytic converter plugged 6 times and I've replaced a **** load of o2 sensors.

I am going to write a letter to GM and tell them to either fix everything or risk being sued/buy the car back.

Ironically my car is an 05 as well. Built back in January of 05.
I got an 05 and about 21+ grand in repair parts and labor into the car through GM total. They never give me a hassel when i break somehting. Longest my car was at the dealer was 5 months stright and the total amount of time at the dealer is 11 months from all my days added up from my release forms.......I got no real complaints though. I have 51k miles total and i got my car on june 13 05'
Old 08-28-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Darksun
I got an 05 and about 21+ grand in repair parts and labor into the car through GM total. They never give me a hassel when i break somehting. Longest my car was at the dealer was 5 months stright and the total amount of time at the dealer is 11 months from all my days added up from my release forms.......I got no real complaints though. I have 51k miles total and i got my car on june 13 05'
Lol I got mine on June 13 05 as well!

Whats GM Total? GM CS Told me the Major Gaurd was their best warrenty...

-Rich
Old 08-28-2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by astrocrep
Lol I got mine on June 13 05 as well!

Whats GM Total? GM CS Told me the Major Gaurd was their best warrenty...

-Rich
HAHA You probably got the brother to my cobalt lol. when i say total i'm talking about total cost to them so far when i count up everything . its sad actually. they tried to make me an offer on another new cobalt to get me out of mine but my cobalt is so fast for what it has on it i was stupid i didnt let them take it....
Old 08-28-2007, 04:01 PM

hmm I have had mine for 2 + years w/ 89,000kms... Only thing I needed was New tires, brakes and rotors... Kinda weird you guys have had such **** luck..
Old 08-28-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gotenks
hmm I have had mine for 2 + years w/ 89,000kms... Only thing I needed was New tires, brakes and rotors... Kinda weird you guys have had such **** luck..
they got the ss/sc, the 2.2 and the sc are a bit different

Originally Posted by Gotenks
i dont think they are made in the same way.

Last edited by h0l0caust; 08-28-2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-01-2007, 01:42 PM

On Friday I recieved a letter from the lawyer stating that they believe I have more then enough to justify a lawsuit, and have accepted my case!

YAY!!

Furthermore, they have already prepared it and sent it to the manufacturer!

So hopefully, I will here something soon...

Ill keep the thread updated...

-Rich
Old 09-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

SWeet best of luck to you !! GM needs to pay for the piece of crap car that they made!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 AM

Update

GM Requested a "Release of Lien Information" on the car. Based on the wording on the desc, it would appear that GM wants to pay part / all of the remaining balance owed on the car...

Problem is, the car was paid in full up front... So I signed the letter anyway saying that its paid in full, and sent it back to them...

We'll see...

-Rich
Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 PM

So I got a call back from the lawyer, we are settling for a VERY VERY VERY NICE Cash Settlement!

www.mylemon.com is the shiznit! Great people fast and friendly, and free!

-Rich
Old 10-01-2007, 02:45 PM

Hmmm..Where abouts in Jersey are you? Just trying to figure out what dealership you were dealing with.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:49 PM

hmm...i have been thinking about taking legal action with my car since i had to spend 2500 dollars of hard earned savings money to put a transmission in my car that is still under warranty! all of my mods are gm parts except my intake and they said since i have an intake and gm stage 2 i must use my car for racing so they said anything that happens is abuse and they arent going to cover it
Old 10-01-2007, 02:53 PM

damn you lucky bastard
Old 10-01-2007, 04:34 PM

Talking to a lawyer is free... you can submit your case history online and they can tell you if you have a possible case in no time at all.

I really didn't have bad dealings with the dealerships...

Though Summit Chevy in NJ pissed me off.

-Rich
Old 10-01-2007, 04:35 PM

Nah, not the dealership I was thinking of. Congrats on the settlement though.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by BlueSS-supercharged
damn you lucky bastard
Lol, after everything Ive been through, lucky is a funny word to use

-Rich

EDIT!

To the person who neg rep'd me "i hope you die of aids"

Thanks!

-Rich

Last edited by astrocrep; 10-02-2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 PM