General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

SRT-4 Guys.. Need Your Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRT-4 Guys.. Need Your Help

Well I know a couple of u are members here and i posted this on the srtforums and no one wants to answer my question so maybe my fellow community SRT-4 members may be of some assistance....(this is what i posted on srtforums)

Ok, to start, my friend has a 2005 SRT-4 with Stage 2 and Turbotoys. Well, I love the way the SRT-4's sound. He still has the stock exhaust. Well my question is this... I have a 2005 Cobalt SS/SC with Stage 2 and was wondering what the SRT-4 stock exhaust consists of because I want to see if I can get something similar out of my Cobalt SS. I know there cars are totally different as far as displacement and how it's powered. I'm SC and I know the SRT-4's are obviously turbo'd. Single exhaust and the SRT-4's have single to dual out. I'm 2.0L and I believe you guys are 2.4L. Not really sure if any of that makes a difference. I was told you guys have just a resonator with no muffler stock? correct me if i'm wrong. If so I would like to know the length of the resonator or if anyone has any suggestions i'm open to idea's. Thanks for the help
Old 04-28-2006, 11:42 PM

I don't know how long their resonator is however you are correct. They don't have mufflers. I know that a turbo back exhaust nets like 20-25 whp alone for them. Trust me, we won't be able to gain that much through an exhaust with minor mods done to our car. We can't have turbo back exhausts, however we can have full exhaust setups such as a long tube header with downpipe, high flow cat, and exhaust. That would definately get us around 30 whp but for a costly price.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:48 PM

The turbo itself also effects the sound of the exhaust. That is why they can get away with not having a muffler.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
The turbo itself also effects the sound of the exhaust. That is why they can get away with not having a muffler.
Yeah if we didn't have mufflers ours cars would be too loud.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 05REDROCKET
Yeah if we didn't have mufflers ours cars would be too loud.
Trust me they are. victoryredss tried it and his car was really loud.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:14 AM

Our cars do not come with mufflers. It consists of a downpipe with a cat to a single straight pipe down the middle of the car to a "y" right underneath the backseat that branches out into the dual exhaust tips you see. The pipes actually start to turn back toward the front of the car and then bend again to head out the back, really odd. Do a google image search and you might be able to see what im talking about. The turbo muffles the sound enough to be able to do away with a muffler. The reason our cars gain so much from an exhaust swap is simply because its turbocharged. On any turbocharged engine, the bigger the exhaust, the better. Check out the exhaust systems on a diesel truck and notice the diameters-huge (like 4"). The key on the SRT seems to be either an open downpipe or a 3" turboback.

Tell your friend if he wants to make his car really wake up, and I mean really- put a 3" turboback on it. He will see atleast a 1/2 difference in the 1/4 mile ....
Old 04-29-2006, 03:35 AM

You will never make your car sound like an SRT-4. It's impossible. The setups are pretty much completely opposite
Old 04-29-2006, 03:37 AM

yea they have rezinators on each outlet pipe with no muffler, do a single outlet with a rezinator and no muffler and see how it sounds, prob nothin like the srt but it prob backfires nicely lol.... basically im askin you to be the ginnea pig
Old 04-29-2006, 03:47 AM

^^^^^^

negative, there are two 12 inch resonators just behind the cat under the middle of the car. the sound of our exhaust is also effected by our ecu tune, if your attempting to get that popping under deceleration, then you need a EMS system to add fuel on the decel curve.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by FSRbikr98
^^^^^^

there are two 12 inch resonators just behind the cat under the middle of the car. the sound of our exhaust is also effected by our ecu tune, if your attempting to get that popping under deceleration, then you need a EMS system to add fuel on the decel curve.

Forgot about the resonators. Its been so long since ive had the stock exhaust LOL. Also the popping is cool until your next to a cop, then it sucks hehehe.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Local Yokel
Forgot about the resonators. Its been so long since ive had the stock exhaust LOL. Also the popping is cool until your next to a cop, then it sucks hehehe.

I agree........ my car pops nicely with no cat an gmpp exhaust with stg 2 flash
Old 04-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FSRbikr98
^^^^^^

negative, there are two 12 inch resonators just behind the cat under the middle of the car. the sound of our exhaust is also effected by our ecu tune, if your attempting to get that popping under deceleration, then you need a EMS system to add fuel on the decel curve.

You don't tune a car to add fuel under no throttle (deaccel) situations. The noise is created by the fuel that was allready there before you let off the throttle.

Cobalts do the same thing not to mention anything else that has a decent flowing exhaust.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:54 PM

closest you will get is the corsa sport. this is what i have and it is loud like theirs minus the cool turbo sound and it pops under decel with the cat still on.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:27 PM
p7x

personally, can't see why you wanna sound like an SRT4, they have a nice growl which I like but the stock exhausts i've heard sound like crap under load and pop when not under load.

I have heard a few aftermarket ones that sound pretty badass.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
You don't tune a car to add fuel under no throttle (deaccel) situations. The noise is created by the fuel that was allready there before you let off the throttle.

Cobalts do the same thing not to mention anything else that has a decent flowing exhaust.
On the SRT-4 staged kits they are tuned to add fuel when off the gas to get the popping noise, it was done intentionally to make it pop/burble louder, as well as to help the turbo/motor cool a bit with the extra gas. A rich mixture runs cooler, so it has a 2 sided affect, they lean it out compared to stock a lil bit but then made it richer off the throttle to sound mean. A lot of guys like the stage kits for the fact that if they remove their cats and resonators, or even use a dump style downpipe they get flames between shifts and at WOT. Other than that our staged kits increase the RPM limits ever so slightly, otherwise once we go bigger turbo and remove the CPU's control over the boost it provides little benefit other than removing a few CEL's and richening up the AFR's.

I have the Maxxfabb side exit exhaust with a race cat and Stage-2, if I hit the rev limiter at night I still get flames, and it pops and burbles a ton off the gas, even in first gear going through a parking lot at 5MPH!! As for my tune I am at 12.1 with alcohol injection, so little chance of me dumping that much fuel into my exhaust, but it still lights off when I lift and snaps/crackles
Old 04-30-2006, 11:11 AM

This will help.
http://home.comcast.net/~daflyyondaw...t4_exhaust.jpg
Old 04-30-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by p7x
personally, can't see why you wanna sound like an SRT4, they have a nice growl which I like but the stock exhausts i've heard sound like crap under load and pop when not under load.

I have heard a few aftermarket ones that sound pretty badass.

I like the growl and low tone it has.

THanks for all the responses. Very helpful
Old 04-30-2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS422
I like the growl and low tone it has.

THanks for all the responses. Very helpful
For the SRT-4 it is not the exhaust that makes the sound. It is the engine.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Alex47
For the SRT-4 it is not the exhaust that makes the sound. It is the engine.
I knid of figured. And I know with the Stage kits, mopar's website says that it is something that comes along with the stage kits is making the popping and crackling more. it must be tuned that way i guess. It's got to be that 2.4L torque monster engine you guys have
Old 03-22-2013, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
Trust me they are. victoryredss tried it and his car was really loud.
It's actually not much louder than stock to be honest. I did the muffler delete and it sounds slightly louder than stock. Don't get me wrong though, you can tell there's no muffler.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy zombie lol
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS422
Well I know a couple of u are members here and i posted this on the srtforums and no one wants to answer my question so maybe my fellow community SRT-4 members may be of some assistance....(this is what i posted on srtforums)

Ok, to start, my friend has a 2005 SRT-4 with Stage 2 and Turbotoys. Well, I love the way the SRT-4's sound. He still has the stock exhaust. Well my question is this... I have a 2005 Cobalt SS/SC with Stage 2 and was wondering what the SRT-4 stock exhaust consists of because I want to see if I can get something similar out of my Cobalt SS. I know there cars are totally different as far as displacement and how it's powered. I'm SC and I know the SRT-4's are obviously turbo'd. Single exhaust and the SRT-4's have single to dual out. I'm 2.0L and I believe you guys are 2.4L. Not really sure if any of that makes a difference. I was told you guys have just a resonator with no muffler stock? correct me if i'm wrong. If so I would like to know the length of the resonator or if anyone has any suggestions i'm open to idea's. Thanks for the help
they only have a cat and resonator, on the nsrt4, on my old caliber srt4 i had a catless dp and a vibrant resonator, and couldnt get the same sound , it sounded no where near how a nsrt4 sounds, not too sure what made them sound so good
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So u want to know how to make ur Cobalt SS/SC sound like a NSRT-4? trade in ur car for the neon..........
Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are we still replying lol this thread is older than my cobalt
Old 03-22-2013, 07:39 AM

the extra .4 displacement helps set a different exhaust note than a 2.0

Quick Reply: SRT-4 Guys.. Need Your Help