General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Undercoating VS Bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
Undercoating VS Bedliner

Looking to either undercoat or bed line the fender wells and underside of my sedan. Normally I get all my cars undercoated right after I buy them, but this being a 8 year old car I decided to do it myself. Last year I used chassis saver to protect the underneath. Now I'm looking for something that will provide more sound deadening/sound damper. I recently saw they offer undercoating with a sound deadener in aerosol cans. I used to touch up the underside of G5 with aerosol cans each spring. I was also thinking about buying one of those kits that come with the gun and you use a air compressor. Don't have much experience with anything like this.

Anyone have any experience with bedlining a car? Recommend any brands? Any advice of undercoating vs bedlining?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
bedliner will give a way nicer finish than under coating. the shop i work for builds hot rods and we use raptor brand box liner on the bottoms of our cars that are going to be driven (not the full show body worked and painted underside). it gives a very even finish and stands up well to rocks and dirt. the raptor kits come with a gun and you can get them in different colors. easy mix and spray.

only thing with using box linder over undercoat is prep. with box liner you really need to scuff the surface with at least red scotch brite. box liner creates a very strong bond with itself, if you get a spot that chips off due to improper prep, its all gonna start pealing off.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Undercoat in a can comes off so easy
Old 05-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea what they said plus the undercoat is not as thick and not great for sound at all. It would take several cans to build a nice layer when the bed liner stuff is twice as thick and by the time you bought more undercoat cans you would have spent the same money for the real deal bed liner stuff. I did this and speaking from experience years ago when I was on a ramen noodle budget lol.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Undercoat in a can comes off so easy
The little test section I did has held up fairly nice. It all comes down to prep, even if you get bedliner if you don't prep it right it will come off. I forget the brand I used, but I've got a spare can of it laying around.

That being said, I'm considering using the bedliner to coat the underside and wheel wells as it does go on thicker.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 AM

thanks for all the good info guys.

that is my only concern is thickness. I would like it to be thick so it holds up. Using a aerosol can of undercoating it would take a good bit to get the right thickness. I have no problem doing the correct prep work. But I just want the extra sound barrier. I know that undercoating can be touched up way easier. Each spring I usually pull my fender liners, side skirts, and bumpers and clean behind them and touch of my undercoating. So how easy can the bedliner be touched up?

I also thought about doing the outside of the car in undercoating. Then when I pull my interior this summer to replace the carpet I could do the inside in bedliner.

Originally Posted by Sharkey
bedliner will give a way nicer finish than under coating. the shop i work for builds hot rods and we use raptor brand box liner on the bottoms of our cars that are going to be driven (not the full show body worked and painted underside). it gives a very even finish and stands up well to rocks and dirt. the raptor kits come with a gun and you can get them in different colors. easy mix and spray.

only thing with using box linder over undercoat is prep. with box liner you really need to scuff the surface with at least red scotch brite. box liner creates a very strong bond with itself, if you get a spot that chips off due to improper prep, its all gonna start pealing off.
I may try the raptor brand. Does it require a part A and part B mixing? I will probably do the car in sections so if it requires mixing it, this may not work for me since you have to use the mixture in a certain amount of time.

Originally Posted by Jbishop0352
yea what they said plus the undercoat is not as thick and not great for sound at all. It would take several cans to build a nice layer when the bed liner stuff is twice as thick and by the time you bought more undercoat cans you would have spent the same money for the real deal bed liner stuff. I did this and speaking from experience years ago when I was on a ramen noodle budget lol.
That is my concern cause 12 cans of aerosol undercoating can add up to the cost of a full bed liner kit .
Old 05-10-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by royce777
I may try the raptor brand. Does it require a part A and part B mixing? I will probably do the car in sections so if it requires mixing it, this may not work for me since you have to use the mixture in a certain amount of time.
it is a 2 part system as most stuff shot through a gun is. however the kits come with 4 bottles of box liner and 1 can of hardener, all you do is fill the bottle of box liner to the top with hardener, shake it and spray
Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
The little test section I did has held up fairly nice. It all comes down to prep, even if you get bedliner if you don't prep it right it will come off. I forget the brand I used, but I've got a spare can of it laying around.

That being said, I'm considering using the bedliner to coat the underside and wheel wells as it does go on thicker.
I used duplicolor brand, degreased, brake cleaned, even sanded. I can rub it off with my thumb.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Working on a car that was completely covered in bedliners would be awful.

Properly applied stuff is meant to stick for life.

I'd recommend a undercoating that stays softish.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 AM

I think I will end up doing undercoating on the outside and some type of sound deadener on the inside. Either dynamat or a spray liner.