General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

vortech generator

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vortech generator

I was just wondering if it would be benificial to have a vortech generator on our cars. And if so who can i contact to see if they'll make one.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:55 AM

what is this
Old 02-06-2006, 12:37 PM

Doesn't sound like anything relating to appearance......
Old 02-06-2006, 12:48 PM

the company tornado makes them for our car but too sure what exactly the power gains or economic gais would be espacially cause the air gets re-spun by the s/c. the main reason for thoes are for a better air to fuel mixture offering min power gains and i also wouldnt want a loose piece of metal daingling in fornt of my s/c. better off buying a CAI and if your obssesed with the vortex creating fujitia make there CAI with the vortex creator built in.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:51 PM

Junk. No point to have something like that on a car with a supercharger.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by skatecity
the company tornado makes them for our car but too sure what exactly the power gains or economic gais would be espacially cause the air gets re-spun by the s/c. the main reason for thoes are for a better air to fuel mixture offering min power gains and i also wouldnt want a loose piece of metal daingling in fornt of my s/c. better off buying a CAI and if your obssesed with the vortex creating fujitia make there CAI with the vortex creator built in.
"Tornado" products are a joke. Truth be told, they actually block more air flow by their mere presence in the air intake. They actually prevent proper air flow and are considered a restriction. A lot of throttle bodies today have a MAF screen attached to them that smooths and redirects the air flow so that the MAF sensor reads correctly. This "Vortex Generator" is a gimmick, joke, fraud, etc... Don't waste your money. If they were so good, don't you think K&N or Injen or someone else would include them in their CAIs?

They don't promote better air/fuel mixtures. A/F mixtures can be changed by increasing air flow (higher flowing filter, less restrictive tubing (which putting a piece of metal inside of the smooth tubing is the exact opposite)), or changing fueling somehow - injectors, fuel pump, MAF tables in PCM, etc...)
Old 02-06-2006, 01:39 PM

oh thats what hes talking about, those things are dumb as hell
Old 02-06-2006, 04:59 PM

nah a vortech generator is the little fins on the top of the rear windshield to break up the air and make more downforce...You guys ever seen the evo mr's or 06 sti's how they have lil fins on there rear windshield.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:07 PM

my fujita didnt come with one built in, and i thaught they did? i do like the thing on the evo's though, do they make those universal fit?
Old 02-08-2006, 03:56 PM

vortex generator

Originally Posted by shiftingloco310
nah a vortech generator is the little fins on the top of the rear windshield to break up the air and make more downforce...You guys ever seen the evo mr's or 06 sti's how they have lil fins on there rear windshield.
Yes the Mitsu Evo MR has vortex generators on the roof to lower the amount of drag, not to make downforce. There are many types of vortex generators, basically anything placed in an airstream that causes it to swirl can be called a vortex generator. The first time I heard of them was in the air force as they are used in jet engine intakes, wings, etc. The ones put in the air intake of an automobile are a waste of money.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you guys are funny. i can't believe you thought that vortec generators have anything to do with the intake. lol. anyways, yea they are used to create more downforce. mainly for high speed racing. it might actually be beneficial to the cobalt after reading some war stories about how fast some guys get up too. i mean, at least you'd put that wing to use.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:02 AM

vortex generator

Originally Posted by ralliartist
you guys are funny. i can't believe you thought that vortec generators have anything to do with the intake. lol. anyways, yea they are used to create more downforce. mainly for high speed racing. it might actually be beneficial to the cobalt after reading some war stories about how fast some guys get up too. i mean, at least you'd put that wing to use.
read my post. A vortex generator on the trailing edge of a mitsubishi evo mr, according to mitsubishi's own website, funnels air to the wing, the wing creates downforce. A vortex generator can not create any downforce! I believe a vortech generator is a a purposely misspelled vortex generator used in the intake and don't do jack, but possibly make the air spin in the intake. They claim it will give you more power and better fuel mileage, if you believe it buy one. If it were true GM and everyone else would already use them.