General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

What do I have here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I have here?

I have a 2007 Cobalt SS but it seems different than the SS's that I have seen while lurking here...here is what I know:

2007 Cobalt SS
4500 miles
2.4L Naturally Aspirated
Cloth Interior
Power Sun Roof
7 Speaker Pioneer system (Sub in trunk)
Driving lights in front bumper cover
Modest rear spoiler

Just wondering if this is a strange spec'd vehicle...I have never seen another like it around my area. My kids named it the Screamin' Black Meanie! LOL

Old 10-23-2009, 11:36 AM

nope.. just the 2.4 SS...
Old 10-23-2009, 11:36 AM

there is that SS 2.4L and another SS which is supercharged from 05-07 and turbocharged 08-09 with 2.0L motors...you got the non F/I one
Old 10-23-2009, 11:42 AM

I like it.. Ive always liked the 2.4SS Its clean and simple nice looking..Ide drive it everyday as a DD and have my SS/SC as a weekend car..lol
Old 10-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Yeah, no supercharger or turbo on this animal! It's fast, though!

This is my Mom's car, she gave it to me to drive for a while. It's been garage kept and rarely driven since she bought it new. She didn't want the charger or leather so the dealer magically produced this car. The vin lists leather seats though. I guess the dealer could have done a dealer swap on the seats.

All the SS's I see around have the bigger wing and different wheels.

Thanks for the info...I guess I was also wondering if the 2.4L is respected in the Cobalt SS world, or is this a black sheep? LOL
Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by RocketFoot
Thanks for the info...I guess I was also wondering if the 2.4L is respected in the Cobalt SS world, or is this a black sheep? LOL
Not a black sheep.. but a lot of OTHER car people don't realize the difference between non-fi cobalts and supercharged/turbo'd ones.

So they "race" the non-fi ones and think all cobalts are slow.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:54 AM

This is my Mom's car, she gave it to me to drive for a while. It's been garage kept and rarely driven since she bought it new. She didn't want the charger or leather so the dealer magically produced this car. The vin lists leather seats though. I guess the dealer could have done a dealer swap on the seats.

Well, a cobalt ls with simple bolt ons will take a stock 2.4L so that really doesn't say much for the 2.4L. There was a guy on another forum...think he's on here but doesn't post anymore...he has a turbo 2.4L....Now that thing moves.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:02 PM

Eh, no big deal...I'm not into racing. I just like a car that looks good and is quick out of the red light! This one fits the bill...LOL It does turn the heads of some of the neighborhood LS owners! They probably think it is rebadged, but I assure you that it is not!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:17 PM

can u use hp tuner on the 2.4 ss or not cuz i no the later 2.4 u cant
Old 10-23-2009, 12:17 PM

GM in their infinite wisdom at one point decided the 2.4L would be called the "SS" and the Supercharged would be the "SS Supercharged". Hence the confusion; they now properly branded the 2.4L the Sport to avoid confusing the everliving hell out of consumers. Having two vehicles of the same model branded "SS" was absolutely retarded; even the dealerships couldn't keep them straight half the time .
Old 10-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Eh, no big deal...I'm not into racing. I just like a car that looks good and is quick out of the red light! This one fits the bill...LOL It does turn the heads of some of the neighborhood LS owners! They probably think it is rebadged, but I assure you that it is not!
Well it sort of is just rebadged. The SS/NA is just a trim upgrade.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Permafried-
GM in their infinite wisdom at one point decided the 2.4L would be called the "SS" and the Supercharged would be the "SS Supercharged". Hence the confusion; they now properly branded the 2.4L the Sport to avoid confusing the everliving hell out of consumers. Having two vehicles of the same model branded "SS" was absolutely retarded; even the dealerships couldn't keep them straight half the time .
True true The 2.4 cars should have been RS's imho. SS should only be on the mac daddy of any particular model.

Originally Posted by Mudcrutch
Well it sort of is just rebadged. The SS/NA is just a trim upgrade.
With a bigger engine, tighter suspension, bigger wheels / tires......
Bit more than just a trim upgrade but still not worthy of the SS handle.

Damn good little car, quicker than an LS/LT (and better looking) and imho a better dd for those of us that have to drive our cars in winter.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by DaBuzzard
True true

Damn good little car, quicker than an LS/LT (and better looking) and imho a better dd for those of us that have to drive our cars in winter.
Sometimes I wish she bought the SC version, but thats why she didn't...she was afraid the SC would be prone to problems or temperamental. As a daily driver, this little car is the ticket!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Sometimes I wish she bought the SC version, but thats why she didn't...she was afraid the SC would be prone to problems or temperamental. As a daily driver, this little car is the ticket!
so what are your plans for the car?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Enuff_Said
so what are your plans for the car?
I probably won't get too crazy...but I would like to put a K&N on it or do a cold air intake mod. That's about it! I'm a simple kind of guy! LOL
Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mudcrutch
Not a black sheep.. but a lot of OTHER car people don't realize the difference between non-fi cobalts and supercharged/turbo'd ones.

So they "race" the non-fi ones and think all cobalts are slow.
this is so true^^ i know these 2 ppl in my area who both have the LS and they both lowered them and put on exhausts and underbody kits and made them look very nice...then they drive them around town and try to race them... it's funny bc my boyfriend has a ss/sc and they dont stand a chance... its fun to wave to them as we fly by
Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 PM

I probably won't get too crazy...but I would like to put a K&N on it or do a cold air intake mod. That's about it! I'm a simple kind of guy! LOL
Old 10-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Awe this thread is cute. I like to think my 2.4 is special too. That's why I'm ditching it.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 PM

thats what u say now... my b/f just wanted to do the cold air intake and then he did and then after that it was just outta control...he's about to swap to a turbo from a supercharger.... you'll get addicted i'm sure lol
Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Enuff_Said
Well, a cobalt ls with simple bolt ons will take a stock 2.4L so that really doesn't say much for the 2.4L. There was a guy on another forum...think he's on here but doesn't post anymore...he has a turbo 2.4L....Now that thing moves.
i have a turbo 2.4

i bought the car to BOOSt it purposely.. if u get the chance do it.. i love this car.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ~Kelli~
thats what u say now... my b/f just wanted to do the cold air intake and then he did and then after that it was just outta control...he's about to swap to a turbo from a supercharger.... you'll get addicted i'm sure lol
I don't think I'll fall into this trap...I have a fail safe plan! My wallet is always EMPTY! LOL

I do want to add the SS logo to the steering wheel...what was GM thinking when they omitted it? My boss's Impala SS has it...
Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 AM

I don't think I'll fall into this trap...I have a fail safe plan! My wallet is always EMPTY! LOL

I do want to add the SS logo to the steering wheel...what was GM thinking when they omitted it? My boss's Impala SS has it...
Meh, you know what car you drive you should not have to remind yourself, plus the 2.4 should have never been called an SS.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by importkiller
Meh, you know what car you drive you should not have to remind yourself, plus the 2.4 should have never been called an SS.
I don't know...in the true tradition of Chevy SS vehicles, the SS badge always identified a sportier trim level along with bigger engine and maybe other upgrades such as suspension etc...(ie: Chevelle SS, Nova SS, Camaro SS) by default, the 2.4 n/a can be justified as a true SS. To me...and I mean no offense by this...the SS's with turbos and SC's could have been called Type RS or something! LOL

Not everyone wants a SC or Turbo...why make it mandatory if you want an Super Sport model?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by importkiller
wut about MY 2.4 makes it not an ss?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:41 PM

at least put intake, header and exhaust. I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with the basics....and then you'll want more