General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

What kind of FAQ would you want to see

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of FAQ would you want to see

I think that FAQ/Write ups are great for people to refer back to instead of having to search for that one random thread that had a little bit of good information.

I personally have done a lot of write ups for people to help understand things a little better...didn't make them overly complicated to read but very understandable for the newer tuner.

I don't know everything about everything but I was curious to see if there is any specific type write up or FAQ people would like to see and if I know enough about the topic, I'd offer my time to do it or I could reasearch on it OR I could ask someone who would know much more about the topic to write it up (I know a lot of good guys with some time )

So what's on your mind?

bump

Last edited by NJHK; 07-04-2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-04-2007, 11:39 PM
JMH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=NJHK;1187124]I think that FAQ/Write ups are great for people to refer back to instead of having to search for that one random thread that had a little bit of good information.

I personally have done a lot of write ups for people to help understand things a little better...didn't make them overly complicated to read but very understandable for the newer tuner.

I don't know everything about everything but I was curious to see if there is any specific type write up or FAQ people would like to see and if I know enough about the topic, I'd offer my time to do it or I could reasearch on it OR I could ask someone who would know much more about the topic to write it up (I know a lot of good guys with some time )

So what's on your mind?

An FAQ's section is a great idea.

I'd like to see a "GM STOCK" nomenclature. That is, people that have stock or GM certified/modified Cobalts ONLY. It would provide owners with ammo concerning common problems when they hit the dealer conerning warranty issues, and keep folks aware of the reliability of their considerable investment.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
perhaps info/characterisitics and specs on each engine offered in the cobalt.....alot of misunderstanding and misconceptions when it comes to that....all of the build info on each engine would definately be a big help...especially in clearing up small issues and helping people with future builds and stuff of that sort
Old 07-05-2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by mike25
perhaps info/characterisitics and specs on each engine offered in the cobalt.....alot of misunderstanding and misconceptions when it comes to that....all of the build info on each engine would definately be a big help...especially in clearing up small issues and helping people with future builds and stuff of that sort
Give me a little more detail on what you mean...

Good suggestions, keep them coming.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:10 AM

bump
Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 AM

Something I see on here all the time are posts like "what should I do next?". I know for each application it will be different (and for each model/engine), but maybe some kind of a list that would provide the following:

List A) Mods that you think should be done to the car, in order. This would include all mods: Engine, transmission/clutch, wheels, springs, lights, wings, shifters, radio, etc....

List B) Price v/s power gains (ratio) in order from best price to power ratio to worst. You could instead make this a "Price v/s track time" ratio instead...this way you could include suspension, transmission, clutch, wheels, rims, weight reduction, etc...

List C) Mods in Price order (from lowest to highest...for those poor people, like me . Maybe start with small things like the lower grill wire mesh insert ($10) and up to things like RWD (which is a kick ass project btw).

Then maybe you could break the lists down:

List D) Just power mods in price order or power gain order

List E) Just appearance mods in price order or "cool factor order" (and yes I know what is "cool" to one person would be "rice" to someone else, just wing it).

List F) Mods in "time" order, starting with mods that only take a few seconds/minutes to do (like the arm rest), to mods that take days/weeks to do (RWD/Turbo).

You get the idea. This may be WAY more than you wanted and may be nothing you actually want to do, just thought I would toss out my thought.

**EDIT**
While technially not a FAQ, it could be made into FAQ format.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Well, the only problem with what you wrote is that there really isn't a suggested way of going in order of modifying or a exact pricing for one specific item. I tried a while back to keep up with who sells what and for how much and it's still up but it's too much of a pain to keep track of. You would have to basically update it every month...

Too much of what you posted is just a preference thing and I kind of made a write up on what that person should decide to do and planning (it's called Planning & Preporation).
Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 AM

I don't know if it is possible, but I would like more info (FAQ?) on Cams and/or Pistons. I'm a little 'hazy' on what the different specs mean, and how they can effect the engine.

Thanks Adam! You ever consider getting back into the ECOTEC-Family?

P.S. I really enjoyed your ECOTEC Turbo FAQ. I really like being 'different' with the SC, but after reading your FAQ, the more I think about my goals (when warranty is up and car is not my DD) I see a Turbo swap in my future.

+ Rep for your continuing contributions to the community.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJHK
Give me a little more detail on what you mean...

Good suggestions, keep them coming.
i mean like specs on engine internals and parts, info about the block and the head(valvetrain)....engine capabilities...stuff like that ...for each engine...2.2,2.0,2.4
Old 07-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by SS_Canuck
I don't know if it is possible, but I would like more info (FAQ?) on Cams and/or Pistons. I'm a little 'hazy' on what the different specs mean, and how they can effect the engine.

Thanks Adam! You ever consider getting back into the ECOTEC-Family?

P.S. I really enjoyed your ECOTEC Turbo FAQ. I really like being 'different' with the SC, but after reading your FAQ, the more I think about my goals (when warranty is up and car is not my DD) I see a Turbo swap in my future.

+ Rep for your continuing contributions to the community.
Thank You

I would but I would want to move on to a different platform...expand my horizons.

I wish I could read cam specs better...maybe I can work on that myself, I do have a couple books about cylinder heads and valvetrain. What about pistons did you need to know or could you specify a bit more on what you mean?