General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

What's the best alarm to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best alarm to get?

Can anyone tell me what is the best alarm to get and what does it do to protect the car?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by betterthanbad
Can anyone tell me what is the best alarm to get and what does it do to protect the car?
there so many of them out there bro but the best security device you can get is boomerang for your car , if your car gets stolen its got a tracking device in it and tell you excatly were your car is.... but for an alarm i would sya one of those pageing ones with the little pager key chain.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:41 PM

I've heard of boomerang and it sound pretty good. How about the immobilizer with a chip you insert off the key chain into the dash?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:44 PM

I've heard of boomerang and it sound pretty good. How about the immobilizer with a chip you insert off the key chain into the dash?
your talking about the new boomerrang right?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:46 PM

Audiovox Prestige
Old 05-03-2005, 12:50 AM

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Compustar or the new Scosche car alarm (which is a rebadged Compustar alarm). I like the 2 way remote so you can see what sensor has been tripped, and the remote has a huge range on it. I also like there's a paging sensor you can put on your windshield or wherever. If someone needs you at your car, they just knock on that and it'll page you. That'll come in handy when I'm at the mall with someone and if they're ready to go before I am, they can knock on that and I'll know to hurry up and get out of there. Also I'm thinking I'll get a good bit of use out of the remote start too. It'll be nice to have the car waiting for me with the AC running in the middle of a hot and humid Louisiana summer.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Arwes
I also like there's a paging sensor you can put on your windshield or wherever. If someone needs you at your car, they just knock on that and it'll page you. That'll come in handy when I'm at the mall with someone and if they're ready to go before I am, they can knock on that and I'll know to hurry up and get out of there.
You don't already have a cell phone?
Old 05-04-2005, 05:56 PM

If you are going to spend the money, get one of the tracking devices. Nomatter what alarm system you get, nomatter how state of the art it is, if somebody wants your car bad enough, and they know what they are doing, they're going to get it.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by jive
If you are going to spend the money, get one of the tracking devices. Nomatter what alarm system you get, nomatter how state of the art it is, if somebody wants your car bad enough, and they know what they are doing, they're going to get it.
You can get one that calls your phone the instant the factory alarm/aftermarket alarm goes off

Here look at this one

www.vehiclelocate.net I have one on my car. I LOVE IT!! It's a bit pricey but you get what you pay for
Old 05-04-2005, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Vooduguru
You can get one that calls your phone the instant the factory alarm/aftermarket alarm goes off

Here look at this one

www.vehiclelocate.net I have one on my car. I LOVE IT!! It's a bit pricey but you get what you pay for
Does this mean that other people can see where you are and how fast you've been going???
Old 05-04-2005, 09:58 PM

Does this mean that other people can see where you are and how fast you've been going???

No, absolutely not. Unless you give someone your username and password then no one but YOU the vehicle owner will be able to track, locate, etc the car It is a 3des encrypted site. The Lake Effect Racing is set up JUST for the fans to see where he's at. And that's on a 4 minute delay Talk about interactive
Old 05-05-2005, 09:31 AM

I work for an audio/video company " the name is a part of a speaker" and Viper alarms have worked out very well for us and me with out breaking the bank.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:52 AM

in a matter of fact i got my alarm installed on my cobalt like a month ago. its very nice its the viper 690xv, its a nice paging alarm. if anyone seems to get close to my car and that is walking up to it , it will send me a page, and if that object is still there it will set the alarm off. i suggest this alarm, very high quality. plus theres alot more kids vandalizing cars then stealing them, so idk about the gps tracker. i dont prefer it.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by co-yellow-balt
in a matter of fact i got my alarm installed on my cobalt like a month ago. its very nice its the viper 690xv, its a nice paging alarm. if anyone seems to get close to my car and that is walking up to it , it will send me a page, and if that object is still there it will set the alarm off. i suggest this alarm, very high quality. plus theres alot more kids vandalizing cars then stealing them, so idk about the gps tracker. i dont prefer it.

What's the range of the pager?

I can be 10 feet away up to 10,000 miles away (probably more) for my system to call me if my alarm is triggered
Old 05-05-2005, 07:31 PM

What's the range of the pager?

I can be 10 feet away up to 10,000 miles away (probably more) for my system to call me if my alarm is triggered
not to sure on exactly how much but i think 1500 feet. sometimes im like a couple miles away and it still works when im out wit my friend. its a top quality alarm. for what i paid for it, its well worth it. the motion dector is real sensitive that if someone walks up to my window it warns me
Old 05-05-2005, 07:41 PM

Got a link for any info on this alarm?
Old 05-06-2005, 01:45 AM

not to sure on exactly how much but i think 1500 feet. sometimes im like a couple miles away and it still works when im out wit my friend. its a top quality alarm. for what i paid for it, its well worth it. the motion dector is real sensitive that if someone walks up to my window it warns me
Couple of questions, first off.

What did it cost you? No doubt that it's a good system, but surely if someone wants your car, they can steal it in less than a minute. Your system offers no way to find it once it's been stolen.

Wouldn't that be better?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:34 AM

Couple of questions, first off.

What did it cost you? No doubt that it's a good system, but surely if someone wants your car, they can steal it in less than a minute. Your system offers no way to find it once it's been stolen.

Wouldn't that be better?
Unless your parked in the middle of nowhere and someone who steals cars happens to eb there... nobody is going to bother stealing a car with any alarm they will pick the person without. I will be all set though ebcuase I will have onstar to track and viper to scare away.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life85
Unless your parked in the middle of nowhere and someone who steals cars happens to eb there... nobody is going to bother stealing a car with any alarm they will pick the person without. I will be all set though ebcuase I will have onstar to track and viper to scare away.
http://www.transalt.org/info/caralar...effective.html

You have to call Onstar when you notice the car is gone. That right there could give an hour or more head start to your theif. OnStar takes about 10 seconds to render useless.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knockin your Viper system, I had one in my last car. I'm just saying, that Onstar is a visible system. The tracker system I'm talking about is not.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:42 PM

if anyone seems to get close to my car and that is walking up to it , it will send me a page, and if that object is still there it will set the alarm off.
And now you are going to park this in Wal-Mart and every single person that parks in the spot next to you, or merely walks BY your car to get to the store is going to get warned about stealing your car...Aren't they?

This is the kind of alarm that makes me want to key the car.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by ssstraub
And now you are going to park this in Wal-Mart and every single person that parks in the spot next to you, or merely walks BY your car to get to the store is going to get warned about stealing your car...Aren't they?

Yea that sounds like a great idea. The alarm I have > than the one you have
Old 05-07-2005, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by ssstraub

first off your a duchebag for even saying you would key someones car, cuz personally i think thats the most stupidest sh*t to do. why f with someones car. i mean wat is it going to prove, and no it doesnt go off when people park next to me. it goes off if someones near it for a good 5 seconds. this alarm is all that you need, you dont need some lame thinger mager telling you where your car is. get a good pro to install this alarm and theives wont know where u mounted half your stuff and your set. with the motion sensor around my car, motion sensor in my car and the glass break sensor what else do u need more.

second i only paid about 150 for the alarm brand new, and 200 for install. around here that alarm is running 500 and thats a big difference.

and yes heres some info on my alarm....this is a refurbished one and it has the white remote (i have the better one, blue one)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewitem.php?id=2594
Old 05-07-2005, 10:29 AM

first off your a duchebag for even saying you would key someones car, cuz personally i think thats the most stupidest sh*t to do. why f with someones car. i mean wat is it going to prove, and no it doesnt go off when people park next to me. it goes off if someones near it for a good 5 seconds. this alarm is all that you need, you dont need some lame thinger mager telling you where your car is. get a good pro to install this alarm and theives wont know where u mounted half your stuff and your set. with the motion sensor around my car, motion sensor in my car and the glass break sensor what else do u need more.

second i only paid about 150 for the alarm brand new, and 200 for install. around here that alarm is running 500 and thats a big difference.

and yes heres some info on my alarm....this is a refurbished one and it has the white remote (i have the better one, blue one)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewitem.php?id=2594
So wait a sec, you paid 350 for an alarm that's refurbished (meaning that something malfunctioned and it had to be warrantee replaced) It goes off if someone is near your car for 5 seconds (that's not very long) It has about a 1500 (1/4 mile range) so if someone breaks in to your car, it sends you a page, so you're saying that you can RUN 1500 feet in less than a minute? Wow, what if you're on the 25th floor? Then what about a flatbed? Have you ever been to the Miami beach strip at night? A flatbed truck with a scoop boom can impound about 10 cars an hour. 20 seconds to scoop, 4 minutes to take the impound yard 2 blocks away, drop off and come back for more. Hmm I guess they discounted it 300 bucks because they have so many returns? Nice. I guess you didn't read the article about how audible car alarms are well....useless. Oh here's a question for you. What happens when your battery on your key fob dies?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:42 AM

^^^ Yeah Agree especially with the SS... I was talking to a few people and they told me not to get an alarm right nwo becuase everyone is going to be looking at my car so it will go off everywhere I go.... NOt a bad thing though to haev people looking at your car in envy.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:52 AM

So wait a sec, you paid 350 for an alarm that's refurbished (meaning that something malfunctioned and it had to be warrantee replaced) It goes off if someone is near your car for 5 seconds (that's not very long) It has about a 1500 (1/4 mile range) so if someone breaks in to your car, it sends you a page, so you're saying that you can RUN 1500 feet in less than a minute? Wow, what if you're on the 25th floor? Then what about a flatbed? Have you ever been to the Miami beach strip at night? A flatbed truck with a scoop boom can impound about 10 cars an hour. 20 seconds to scoop, 4 minutes to take the impound yard 2 blocks away, drop off and come back for more. Hmm I guess they discounted it 300 bucks because they have so many returns? Nice. I guess you didn't read the article about how audible car alarms are well....useless. Oh here's a question for you. What happens when your battery on your key fob dies?
I dont know what you have against car alarms but the fact is they do work... they wouldnt be made if they didnt. MOst people who steal cars WILL NOT deal with loud alarms they will find a car without. Also what good is tracking going to do if they bring it to a chop shopp and have it disassembled in no time. There are downsides to both but dont act like one doesnt do anything at all. If you are so set on thinking your cr mihgt get stolen and you need to track it down then move becuase you obviously dont live in a very nice place. So save the money you spend on that crap and move.

Quick Reply: What's the best alarm to get?