General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

<What's Up With GM???>

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<What's Up With GM???>

alrighty...here's the breakdown (plz bear with me here):

Sep.30th 2005 : After weeks of negotiations...finally i place my order for an SS/SC ( Black on Blue ). Dealer tells me minimum 6 weeks, MAX 12. I go home happy...

Nov.2nd 2005: Sell my cavalier in preparation for the incoming Cobalt, i am now car-less. My university is a nice 30 minute drive up Burnaby Mountain, which i now have to take 2 buses to reach...no big deal; car is on it's way.

Dec.15th-20th: Week of sheer HELL...desperate daily calls to dealer trying to gain some brand of reassurance that i am, in fact, getting a damn car. They tell me the delay is normal due to the holidays...

New job / new apartment in January,
so for a brief time all thoughts of Superchargers and GM's fabled "Stage Kits" (which, btw, im beginning to think is a hoax ) are forgotten...
Then...i get the call..."Your car has been "preferenced" "...I'm so excited that it doesn't hit me til 10 minutes later that i have no f'ing clue what "preferenced" means so i call the dealer back for more info...apparently that means my car is part of the next batch of SS/SC's to come off the lot, no build-date/VIN yet BUT dealer assures me it'll be in my garage by March 1st....

Well that was 5 weeks ago...and guess what? NO F'ING BUILD DATE...DEALER CLAIMS HE KNOWS NOTHING....so...if anybody on here actually took the time to read that LONG winded prelude to a simple question...HELP ME...i need guidance on my next move...should i contact GM directly? Also is anybody else going through something similar? Any help would be wildly appreciated so thanks in advance.

-Rob
Old 02-25-2006, 03:52 AM
Banned

I would be upset but have faith. The car will be built. Sometimes things take time. I never listen to what the dealer says, they are full of it. Just call customer service and explain what is going on, they can give you the best times.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:05 AM

Just stick with it, i assure you that you will be very happy you purchased a ss/sc. Just keep, they are built in Ohio, and they dont build a large number of ss/sc. Your time is coming.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky
I would be upset but have faith. The car will be built. Sometimes things take time. I never listen to what the dealer says, they are full of it. Just call customer service and explain what is going on, they can give you the best times.
Okay I'll try giving GM a call then, but who should i call? the actuall Lordstown, OH plant? or like a GM head office or something?
Old 02-25-2006, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by 05_Blue_B10WN_SS
Just stick with it, i assure you that you will be very happy you purchased a ss/sc. Just keep, they are built in Ohio, and they dont build a large number of ss/sc. Your time is coming.

I have no doubt, that's why i'm still hanging around I actually think i lost a little respect for myself after waiting this long for a car i have STILL yet to test drive ( a virtual impossibility 'round these parts ). I'm not gonna lie tho, i'm getting a little bit nervous with all the rumors floating around (Ex. orders with coloured inserts are being refused etc etc )

Anyways, thanks again guys

-Rob
Old 02-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Premium Member

I actually think i lost a little respect for myself after waiting this long for a car i have STILL yet to test drive ( a virtual impossibility 'round these parts)
There's plenty of friendly SS/SC members up your way, just keep an eye on the Canadian forums for meets, I'm sure one of the guys up there will let you see why they're worth the wait.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:38 AM

The moral of this story... Don't sell your transportation out from under yourself until the keys for your new car are in your hands.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by r_fiorda49
Okay I'll try giving GM a call then, but who should i call? the actuall Lordstown, OH plant? or like a GM head office or something?

Which will get you nowhere. You'll get the guards office if you get any number and they will tell you to call your dealer. Just in time parts supplying means that if there is any delay in getting a given part from a subcontractor, models requiring that part will be delayed. You should never order something like a car anticipating a definite delivery date, its never 100%.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:51 AM

4 Black, 3 Red, 3 Yellow and 1 Orange in the Vancouver area for sale right now. No Blue.Your Dealer is:
CARTER CHEVROLET
800 Automall Drive, North Vancouver, BC, V7P3R8
Phone: (604) 987-5231
Fax: (604) 980-6588
Dealer Website
E-mail this Dealer

This Dealer will be pleased to help you find the vehicle that you are interested in.

Your search for a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe within Postal Code V7P 1V2 returned 11 vehicles.

The following vehicles may also be available to your closest Dealer.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe
2.0l Supercharged Ecotec Engine
5-speed Manual Transmission
Black
$29,050.00 *
View Vehicle Details

Black
$30,525.00 *
View Vehicle Details

Black
$29,805.00 *
View Vehicle Details

Sunburst Orange Metallic
$28,160.00 *
View Vehicle Details

Rally Yellow
$30,525.00 *
View Vehicle Details

Victory Red
$30,150.00 *
View Vehicle Details

Victory Red
$27,870.00 *
View Vehicle Details

Black
$27,475.00 *
View Vehicle Details

Rally Yellow
$27,425.00 *
View Vehicle Details

Victory Red
$27,475.00 *
View Vehicle Details

Rally Yellow
$27,440.00 *
View Vehicle Details
Old 02-25-2006, 09:20 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
GM Customer Service Canada is who you want to phone. I had your problem and I phoned them and voiced my disatisfaction. It does help. Also phone another dealer and check the list of other available cars. You don't have to settle with the dealer you have talked with so far. They haven't started to build that car so if you find one between here and hope that you can live with and enjoy then BUY it.
Last, who are you dealing with so others in the lower mainland don't make this mistake.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
GM Customer Service Canada is who you want to phone. I had your problem and I phoned them and voiced my disatisfaction. It does help. Also phone another dealer and check the list of other available cars. You don't have to settle with the dealer you have talked with so far. They haven't started to build that car so if you find one between here and hope that you can live with and enjoy then BUY it.
Last, who are you dealing with so others in the lower mainland don't make this mistake.
Oh okay, i probably should have specified earlier...what's happening to me is in no way a reflection upon my dealer. I ordered my car through Wolfe Chev/Olds in Burnaby, who could not have been more helpful through all this crap. I dispatch for Canada Post and Wolfe supplies all our cube vans so they even gave me a pretty decent deal : $23,500 with everything 'cept G85 ( which is also why i'm not willing to shop around: $29,000 for less options??? no way....) So yea, this is strictly GM keeping my dealer in the dark...

Oh and I HAD to sell the cavalier...its got 120,000 km's on it and i got offered $8,000 from a friend Can't pass that up.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated
-Rob
Old 02-25-2006, 03:19 PM

Dude that's f***ed up. Go to a different dealership. Tell the dealership you go to now to go stick it up where the sun don't shine and go to another dealership. I would not even wait a month for a car. That's, imo, way too long to wait for a brand new car. I mean WTF. Seriously, go tell them to f*ck themselves in the ass. I hate when dealerships do this to people.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by memphisr24
Dude that's f***ed up. Go to a different dealership. Tell the dealership you go to now to go stick it up where the sun don't shine and go to another dealership. I would not even wait a month for a car. That's, imo, way too long to wait for a brand new car. I mean WTF. Seriously, go tell them to f*ck themselves in the ass. I hate when dealerships do this to people.
I consider myself a pacifist and believe me if it was that simple i would go to another dealer BUT i'm dead-set on the black w/ blue inserts combo and all the ss/sc's GM puts out to dealers to sell off the lot have either the recaro's or black inserts The dealer really is pretty great tho...ive bought 2 cars and a truck off them with no problems...just these damn SS/Sc's. I LOVE the irony going on here tho...GM releases the Staged Kits in Canada first yet...I DONT HAVE A CAR TO INSTALL THEM ON

I'm 99% positive its a conspiracy
Old 02-25-2006, 03:34 PM

Oh okay, i probably should have specified earlier...what's happening to me is in no way a reflection upon my dealer. I ordered my car through Wolfe Chev/Olds in Burnaby, who could not have been more helpful through all this crap. I dispatch for Canada Post and Wolfe supplies all our cube vans so they even gave me a pretty decent deal : $23,500 with everything 'cept G85 ( which is also why i'm not willing to shop around: $29,000 for less options??? no way....) So yea, this is strictly GM keeping my dealer in the dark...

Oh and I HAD to sell the cavalier...its got 120,000 km's on it and i got offered $8,000 from a friend Can't pass that up.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated
-Rob
23500? holy ****. mabey it is worth the wait. keep smilin' bud it will come! lol!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:50 PM

Preferenced = 2500

Preferenced is good: it means the car will actually be made.
Here is the list of production codes:

1100 - Order placed at dealer
1101 - Order accepted by GM (means your dealer has an allocation for such)
2001 - Order generated to dealer
2050 - Order changed
2500 - Order sent to production (Preferenced)
3000 - Order accepted by production control (very good, you're getting close)
3100 - Order available for sequence (all prior TPW's were guesses, now its probable)
3300 - Order selected for assembly (constraints such as lack of Quaife's can keep you from getting to 3300)
3400 - Order broadcast for production (this is it, its about to start down the line)
3800 - Vehicle produced (yea!)
4150 - Vehicle invoiced to dealer (dealer gets the invoice just before shipping)
4200 - Vehicle shipped)
5000 - Vehicle delivered to dealer
6000 - Vehicle delivered to customer

Notice 1100 can exist forever if a dealer has no allocation.
Allocation is weird and I have never seen an explanation that made sense, but I do know you can't get to 3000 until you have stopped at 1101.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone given thought that the hold up for the G85 builds may be the Quaife? Quaife is a small company with the highest of production standards (they make transmissions and diffs for all sorts of race cars up to F1) and don't ship until they are ready. I've seen more complaints about wait times for the G85 SS/SC's thab for any other Cobalt iteration -- may not be the reason, but is worth a thought. - laborsmith
Old 02-25-2006, 03:55 PM

Go to your dealer and have them locate one. Thats what I had to do. I ordered mine much like you and they could not get an allocation from gm to build it. So i found one coming in on a truck and we just hijacked it here and there you have it.....
Old 02-25-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by laborsmith
Preferenced is good: it means the car will actually be made.
Here is the list of production codes:...
Yessss, this is the kind of post i was waiting for thanks bud, just out of curiousity tho...how would i go about actually FINDING my production code? cuz it sounds like you know alot more than my dealer does
Old 02-25-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by J_Rod
Go to your dealer and have them locate one. Thats what I had to do. I ordered mine much like you and they could not get an allocation from gm to build it. So i found one coming in on a truck and we just hijacked it here and there you have it.....
Well from what i can gather from laborsmith's post it sounds like im already past the "allocation" stage...right? aha i dunno...i want my damn car
Old 02-26-2006, 08:37 AM

Production Code

When the order is accepted (1101) a six character alphanumeric code is generated and sent to the dealer. Your salesperson can make you a copy of the computer printout if he/she wants to. Any Chevy dealer can use that code to check your production status from that point on - even, or especially, your own dealer. This code stays with the vehicle and will be printed at the bottom of every GM produced vehicle window sticker. -- laborsmith
Old 02-26-2006, 09:36 AM

have some faith i ordered a 04 goat impulse blue after 4 weeks of waiting i was where you are.
my dealer had a hard time getting a update on its status.

last info we got was a 2500 on it.

then sure enough 4 weeks later from there i was taking delivery of the car and we never got a update passed 2500.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:09 AM

There is a yellow ss/sc that is in louisville that has been on the same lot that I bought mine at. It has been there since Oct. It is a yellow one, not sure on the milage, but these guys are good. When I bought mine in Oct, it only had 6400 on it.

Here is there info.

Craig & Landreth Cars
5357 Dixie Hwy
Louisville, KY
TEL 877-642-3921

Craig & Landreth Cars
10309 Taylorsville Road
Louisville, KY
TEL 502-266-9400

Also, Here is a local delaler in Louisville, KY that has three or four on the lot. May want to see if they can work out an inventory swap.

http://www.gmbuypower.com/homePage.b...DP&BAC=112988&

The less of these guys that I have in my area, the more head turns I will get.... I know, ME, ME, ME... hehehehe
Old 02-26-2006, 10:29 AM

holy... i would say stick with it or look around for an ss\sc on a lot im sure you can find some!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:03 PM

DEALER JUST CALLED...CAR IS F'ing HERE!!!!!!!

Wow...my adrenaline levels are out of control
Old 03-02-2006, 02:01 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
DEALER JUST CALLED...CAR IS F'ing HERE!!!!!!!

Wow...my adrenaline levels are out of control
I know the feeling. The time between that call and the time you pick it up is the next longest time there is.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:19 PM

yea man, the weirdest thing is: i woke up this morning thinking i'd better work out my finances...so i pull out all the crap the dealer gave me 6 months ago when i placed the order...and i'm sitting at my desk at work doing the math for the payments/down payment etc when the dealer called