General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

when do you shift for normal driving and drag racing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when do you shift for normal driving and drag racing?

this is my first 5 speed. trying to figure out where the best place to shift is for the max MPG. iv been shifting around 2000-2200rpm..

when your racing where do you shift? 6100rpm?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 PM

drive around in the spring and try to do some "spirited driving"...youl get a feel for it
Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 PM

that may be good for MPG.

but if you want your clutch to last forever, shift over 3000rpm ALL THE TIME!!!!

my 06 ss/sc has over 200,000km, and i am on my origanal clutch, it has NEVER sliped on me.

i go to the track twice a month during the summer and i red line my ****!!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 PM

you can also search this bc theres a bunch of threads on it
but the clutch in the ss/sc likes to be shifted between 3000 - 3500 and shift it firmly no riding the clutch
the only time i shift below 3k is when im outta gas haha
Old 12-28-2009, 09:32 PM

hahahahahahaha that might work for you, bt hes in the perfect range for mpg's already...from what i have heard from the s/c guys they launch at 3500-4500 at the strip, but it takes practice to get that right... and colinsss, are you sssc? because im an ls and iv had slippage in my car because of how i drive on a day to day basis( like i stole it lol) but it was just lightly glazed and went away after babying it for a few days
Old 12-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Collin's SS

but if you want your clutch to last forever, shift over 3000rpm ALL THE TIME!!!!

my 06 ss/sc has over 200,000km, and i am on my origanal clutch, it has NEVER sliped on me.

100% dead wrong, everyone stop saying this! it's flat out bs. If you shift your car properly, you can shift below 3krpms every single time and not have your clutch go out. This is one of those things that someone said years ago, so other people said it, and then other people said it, and now for some reason everyone believes it. The 3,000 rpm rule ONLY applies if you don't know how to drive a manual properly.

In terms of best rpm's for gas mileage, there's really no answer for that, I'm surprised (not really) by the responses here. Rpm's are NOT the sole indicator of gas mileage. You want to look at engine load and boost (if applicable) much more so than rpms. To get the best mileage, you want the lowest rpms that your engine will run with the least effort. You can drive at 2,000 rpms all day long, if you're boosting 15psi to get up that slight incline, your mileage is going to go to ****. In that situation, you will get better mileage downshifting to 3rd, letting the rpm's go significantly higher, but keeping the boost in vacuum.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
100% dead wrong, everyone stop saying this! it's flat out bs. If you shift your car properly, you can shift below 3krpms every single time and not have your clutch go out. This is one of those things that someone said years ago, so other people said it, and then other people said it, and now for some reason everyone believes it. The 3,000 rpm rule ONLY applies if you don't know how to drive a manual properly.
can someone explain a little more on driving a manual properly? as i said this is my first 5 speed so i guess im doing it right lol
Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmichael99
can someone explain a little more on driving a manual properly? as i said this is my first 5 speed so i guess im doing it right lol
someone did a real good write up recently, i'd guess it's in the how to section. Here are a few terms to put in google, and do some reading on

rev match
down shift

Basically, (the oversimplified version, since all the info is in the write up) when you shift higher or lower, your rpms are going to either go up or down. You want to match the tranny with the engine speed. What does that mean? Suppose your driving at 4k in 2nd gear, and shift to 3rd. What happens? Your rpm's drop. What you need to learn is where the rpms will drop based on gear and rpm. So you push the clutch, make your shift, wait for the rpms to fall to the approprate amount, and let the clutch out. It's tricky to learn, and will take some time. If you do it wrong, the car will give a jolt. (you'll know if you do it wrong, trust me) But stick it out, it's worth the practice. If you stay around long enough, you'll see how many people complain about the clutch going out, and how it sucks, meanwhile it's driver error that could have been prevented.

I'll find the write up for you, and if you have specific questions after that, feel free to shoot me a pm.

here ya go, it was actually a sticky in this section (general cobalt)

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/driving-manual-tips-197545/

Last edited by D4u2s0t; 12-29-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 AM

someone did a real good write up recently, i'd guess it's in the how to section. Here are a few terms to put in google, and do some reading on

rev match
down shift

Basically, (the oversimplified version, since all the info is in the write up) when you shift higher or lower, your rpms are going to either go up or down. You want to match the tranny with the engine speed. What does that mean? Suppose your driving at 4k in 2nd gear, and shift to 3rd. What happens? Your rpm's drop. What you need to learn is where the rpms will drop based on gear and rpm. So you push the clutch, make your shift, wait for the rpms to fall to the approprate amount, and let the clutch out. It's tricky to learn, and will take some time. If you do it wrong, the car will give a jolt. (you'll know if you do it wrong, trust me) But stick it out, it's worth the practice. If you stay around long enough, you'll see how many people complain about the clutch going out, and how it sucks, meanwhile it's driver error that could have been prevented.

I'll find the write up for you, and if you have specific questions after that, feel free to shoot me a pm.
so basically when i up shift my car doesnt jerk or anything. i dont notice anything so i should be doing it right

when i down shift i tap the gas to bring up the rpms and let the clutch out not to give you that jolt foward (i read this some where else)

seems simple enough.. i think im good to go
Old 12-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Banned

so basically when i up shift my car doesnt jerk or anything. i dont notice anything so i should be doing it right

when i down shift i tap the gas to bring up the rpms and let the clutch out not to give you that jolt foward (i read this some where else)

seems simple enough.. i think im good to go
well, it could be. It's also possible to let the clutch out too slowly, which will get the rpms where they need to go, and it will be a smooth shift. But you want to avoid that. Try shifting, and letting the clutch out super fast, and then see what happens.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 AM

well, it could be. It's also possible to let the clutch out too slowly, which will get the rpms where they need to go, and it will be a smooth shift. But you want to avoid that. Try shifting, and letting the clutch out super fast, and then see what happens.
ill try it.. i did read that link your posted. good reading..thanks
Old 12-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Banned

no prob!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:53 PM

depends what rpm I have my vtak controller set to.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:57 PM

there my not be any proof of the 3000rpm story, however it has always worked for me, and i am pritty damn sure know one on this site has more milage on there OEM cobalt clutch more then i do!

and dont you figgure it would be the most easy to rmp match at a modrate rmp like 3000???

let me know if im worng, dont want to tell someone something thats not true...

not talking about MPG, but clutch life...
Old 12-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned

there my not be any proof of the 3000rpm story, however it has always worked for me, and i am pritty damn sure know one on this site has more milage on there OEM cobalt clutch more then i do!

and dont you figgure it would be the most easy to rmp match at a modrate rmp like 3000???

let me know if im worng, dont want to tell someone something thats not true...

not talking about MPG, but clutch life...
the problem people have while shifting low in the rpm range is that they shift FAR too slowly. The rpms are only slightly dropping between shifts, and you have to shift much faster to compensate for that. Slow shifts at a low rpm = burning your clutch too much.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 PM

I'll usually shift about 2500-3000 on the street. Drive around and you'll figure it out.

For racing, shift at redline. The end.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 PM

this is my first 5 speed. trying to figure out where the best place to shift is for the max MPG. iv been shifting around 2000-2200rpm..

same for me 2000.

on track 7500rpm. i m trying to finish my pass in 3th gear.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

How does shifting at 3K Make your clutch last longer?
All it does is get me wineing arround in 3rd gear at 40-50 mph at 2500 RPMs...
Speed limits on the way to work are 50 and 40 most of the way. I try to shift higher when im accelerating, even slowly, but when im cruisin along at 40mph or above, ill drop it into 4th... I use 5th for 55 and up.

rev match
down shift

here ya go, it was actually a sticky in this section (general cobalt)

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197545
A friend of mine said RPM matching is bullshit anyways. Hes a well seasoned stick driver and has even driven 18 wheelers.

Last edited by insylem; 12-29-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by insylem
A friend of mine said RPM matching is bullshit anyways. Hes a well seasoned stick driver and has even driven 18 wheelers.
Then he has no Idea what he's talking about . Rev matching a downshift it crucial to maintain clutch life and stop abrupt clutch engagement from unbalancing the chassis . Go ahead and downshift into 2nd from 3rd at 45-50 mph without blipping the throttle to match rpm and see what it feels like ....... you'll either burn the clutch while letting it out slowly to let the engine RPM catch up ...or create large amounts of stress on the drivetrain by dumping the clutch to fast .

The 3000 rpm deal was for people who had trouble with the 1st to 2nd gear change in the SS/SC . the gear ratio's of 1st and 2nd are too far apart so people were slipping the clutch to get a smooth 1-2 gear shift. I found it easier on the car if I waited a second before engaging the clutch in 2nd ....give the rpm a chance to come down from such a short 1st gear ...... so it was a smooth engagement .
Old 12-30-2009, 08:41 PM

^^What he said. Rev matching is bullshit only if you don't mind toasting your clutch and synchros.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:56 PM

dont have time to read every post because im at work but just take your time and get a feel for your car. we all have the same make and all but we have different models and tunes/setups.
this was my first manual and i just got a feel for it over time. i shift at 3k-3500k regular driving, if you have a sc you wont be in boost and the car (at least mine) in shifting has a smooth transition through the gears. there are also time in 1st gear i may hold it out till high 3-4k rpms so when i shift into 2nd there is no jerk.
bottom line is there are plenty of methods on how to shift its just up to you and how you drive.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Shift as early as you can without burning the clutch or lugging the engine.

Also, always rev-match. Anyone who tells you not to is a moron. Check my sticky in the General Cobalt section for tips.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197545
Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
shift

Driving 3000rpm Drags on the tune 6300
Old 12-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by insylem
If by bullshit, he means not necesary, i would not take advice from him in regards to driving, ever. Driving a manual is one of those things where more time driving does not mean you know more about properly shifting. If your taught wrong, or teach yourself, you're very likely to develop bad habits that never change.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If by bullshit, he means not necesary, i would not take advice from him in regards to driving, ever. Driving a manual is one of those things where more time driving does not mean you know more about properly shifting. If your taught wrong, or teach yourself, you're very likely to develop bad habits that never change.
Ive tried rev matching... I came up with the idea on my own one day just thinking about how it works, but I was never TAUGHT to rev match. Then I saw something on line about it. I try to but its abit tricky... honestly id rather wear the clutch a little, the crash my balt, because I was watching the RPM/MPH instead of the road. 4th gear is easy for me because when I just set the needle location the same then let out the cluth....
BUt say to get from 4 to 3, I have to look at my speed, I know when im going 40mph, that I then need to set my RPM to 2500 but then ive slowed down a little, and OH **** I didnt see the turn ops...

VERY SMOOOOOOOTH When I get it right.... as far as 4 to 3 and 3 to 2, thats not so smooth.... But if I have to stop at like a light or something, I just go to N and use the brakes... Those are cheaper then clutches anyways I did notice that hwne I let the clutch out slowly for 1-2 that it doesnt bounce as much (NOT talking about wheel hop) But doesnt that wear the clutch? I like to let out fast... but oh well.. I guess some clutch wear is inevidable.

Quick Reply: when do you shift for normal driving and drag racing?