General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Why is it so fast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rtullos808
Ok cool perfect. Now here's where theres been a problem. I just looked at your car, its more like mine then most. Im not saying that my car is 230 hp205tq, I dont know. It just feels like it to me. Consider other cars or trucks i had that i knew for a fact were 170 hp like mine is supposed to be. I had a dodge dynastry for about 8 months once. It was 178 hp and with a mitsubishi v6 and holley port fuel injection. It was a granny car. Well the Cobalt with the same hp (supposedly) would ru8n circles around a granasty. Can you understand me, the car is more than GM says it is. Man Im telling if you could drive this car youd agree man. This car has more power than that. Im not saying it has any more power or less than anything else. Its jsut not 171 hp, there's no way. I do know the cams and gears are helping, but. And I'm being honest as **** man. GM is not very forthcoming. In fact, they're acting like the plug is getting pulled on them, which I heard is gonna happend, but damn. Here case in point. Do you have the stage two brakes?
of course it has nothing to do with the fact that the cobalt is about 200-300lbs lighter, has shorter gearing, and has a better torque curve...
Old 05-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunkinuts ran 14.8 with his 2.4l ss/na. Only mod: k&n sri.

I havent been to the track with my car, but it deff fells like a mid to upper 14 second car as it sits. Mods: k&n sri, xtc 2.5" catted dp, and a magnaflow 2.5" catback.

I wouldent be happy with a 14.8 second pass in a ss/sc, im prob running the same or a bit faster in my mildly bolted ss/na. I thought ss/sc's run low 14's??
Old 05-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ercegs07SS
I wouldent be happy with a 14.8 second pass in a ss/sc, im prob running the same or a bit faster in my mildly bolted ss/na. I thought ss/sc's run low 14's??
they do, when not in colorado. your car would probably be a high 15 if not 16 car where he is.

oh btw....

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
go take a video of this "cam" setup
Man im not gonna do that, I'm not gonna pull the valve cover off to prove a point. When its time to hcange a gasket, I'll do it then. Besides, anybody that rides in the car is going to notice it's lobe. It's not that agressive anyway, it's more subtle. i asked you about your brakes because I was curious if we had the same setup. My calipers are red and look custom fab'ed. Doesnt mean they are. It just looks as if the calipers didtn come from a perfect mold. Under the hood in front of the pcm is either ABS or a Brake booster. 8 thin steel tubes come from this motor and feed out to each wheel independently. I heard the Brembos were a better setup, but these brakes stop this car in a hurry. 100 to 0 just like that. That blows my mind. I saw one car with those brakes on this site. If there are more I havent seen them. Get this, Chevrolet want 900 ******* dollars to install new ones? $900.00! Keating Chevy in Crosby Tx si more than happy to charge me no less. That was the third dealership I went to. The first two told me the brakes were aftermarket, even though they had GM part numbers right on them in plain sight? They dont give a ****, they dont want anything to do with a
Cobalt. Next out of hunch, go into one of the dealerships again and tell them I need a new Carborateur, they tried to sell me a Quadrajet w/ an electric choke. I told them a Holley was on the truck. They tried to sell me a Holley!? Unbeleivable! More than happy to sell me performance parts that they dont even make for my truck. But totally clueless about any performance parts for a Colbalt other than a CAI or stage kits. Bottom line is, they dont give a ****. I can see it now, they get my truck back there and have a ******* field day. OOOO's and AHHHs all around. Reving my **** up all day long. By the time I was to go back for the truck, I got 20 cash offers like Im just gonna let it go. Anyway, im out, if you got those brakes I'm describing, Id really like to know.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, man, you don't know anything about cars like you say you do, do you? you probably bought everything. your brakes are stock, the box in front of the computer and fusebox is on every cobalt with disk brakes. your calipers are painted.

and you don't take the valve cover off to take a video of cam lobe.....it'll be in your exhaust.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:29 PM

Ok let me break your **** down. Item by item.

1. yes lots of cars do, but Chervrolet SS models have a certain type of stripe. Applied a certain way that is identifiable with the last 40 years of SS models. But I am sure you already know that.
2. No not the fastest by any means, not really slow either. I figured this out when I noticed that few actually have the confidence to go this fast.
3. I didnt realized rev limiters were supposed to be fast, thanks for clearing that up. Ill make sure it gets to redline as fast as possible.
4. You absolutely right. I should have taken a better look.
5. Yeah, I figued that out as well, doesnt mean anything. You could still put the plastic piece there, supercharger or not. Neither is going back in the car. When it time for a new engine, it will be ready and producing substantial horsepower. LSD will be installed, to even the score a little. I know thats the real reason the 2.0 is quick. F/I isnt really making that big of a difference. And yes, they do make an LSD for the 2.4L now.
6. I havent really made a claim to be either, I just used those terms descriptively, to show where my knowledge was strong, and where it was lacking.
7. Yep, your right, need to stroke and bore a 350 to 383. I know, I built 9 of them. An awesome result occurs, while on the other hand, the engines durability is extremely diminished. Learned real quick about the importance of cooling.
8. In my defense, if you sell a product and you make a certain claim about that product, you'd expect it to ring true. There was a supercharger purchased by the first owner and installed by Chevrolet. The previous owner removed the Supercharger in lieu of the car getting repossed. The gm stage two kit, the rest of it, anyway, still exists on the motor. Pulley's shorter belt, larger injectors, wider throttlebody, all that. Also an added bonus. Cam gears and cams are aftermarket. Made by Comp. I had the Chevy dealer go through the car with a fine tooth comb. The exhaust is magnaflow, a dummy dual. Also the car ha been tuned, according to the dealer, who in turned tryed to get me to reset to factory. All this information I got basically killed my warranty as far at that dealer is concerned. I was so excited about the car, i didnt realize for a few hours that there was no boost gauges. Not only that, the wiring and hoses for the NOS still remain in the car as well. Explains the work done on the cylinder head. It's okay, the cams sound nice.
9. I'm talking about the car, not the movie
10. please come up with a better insult than that. in fact stop with the insults. just ******* talk about cars. you would lose an insult contest to me, im the ******* king, promise you.
and finally, your car needs to be more powerful than mine, to make up for the lack of skills. trust me, im ******* crazy. ill drive on the shoulder, medians. i dont care. ill slide across 5 lanes of traffic before your hand even make it to the shifter. and from a dig, you might win, but its not gonna be by much. you got to bury me before ill admit defeat. jsut because you got a certain car, doenst mean ****. I beat a 350z by a car length. 4 days later the same Z blew my doors off. What you drive doesnt mean a thing. i got my ass handed to me because i didnt get a good launch. simple as that. Here's a tip, stop ******* correcting everybody. I didnt ask you for your input. Go race. And research the history of the Cheverolet Super Sport.

and how is driving like a complete retard skill?? Thats how you kill people, just so you know....it may take some time to comprehend. I don't throw this word out ever, but your truely deserve to be called a ricer. I hope your "cop" friend doesn't condone this.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You got a limited slip in the GTO? Cam has 500 lift.
Actually man, I think that 90mm throttle body is getting it done for you.
Acutally, yes, my car came factory stock with an LSD, 90mm throttlebody, and a cam with .550 lift. Factory stock.

And BTW, before you question my knowledge about cars, I had a basemodel four door automatic 2.2 liter cobalt that went 14.1 @ 99.6mph WITHOUT an LSD

Last edited by HackAbuse; 05-26-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-26-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
Acutally, yes, my car came factory stock with an LSD, 90mm throttlebody, and a cam with .550 lift. Factory stock.

And BTW, before you question my knowledge about cars, I had a basemodel four door automatic 2.2 liter cobalt that went 14.1 @ 99.6mph WITHOUT an LSD
you cheated..
Old 05-27-2009, 02:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shawn672
you cheated..
truth. you must have been hiding the secret LSD if you ran in the 14's
Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 AM

he did a roll race thats why
Old 05-27-2009, 01:39 PM

Ok cool perfect. Now here's where theres been a problem. I just looked at your car, its more like mine then most. Im not saying that my car is 230 hp205tq, I dont know. It just feels like it to me. Consider other cars or trucks i had that i knew for a fact were 170 hp like mine is supposed to be. I had a dodge dynastry for about 8 months once. It was 178 hp and with a mitsubishi v6 and holley port fuel injection. It was a granny car. Well the Cobalt with the same hp (supposedly) would ru8n circles around a granasty. Can you understand me, the car is more than GM says it is. Man Im telling if you could drive this car youd agree man. This car has more power than that. Im not saying it has any more power or less than anything else. Its jsut not 171 hp, there's no way. I do know the cams and gears are helping, but. And I'm being honest as **** man. GM is not very forthcoming. In fact, they're acting like the plug is getting pulled on them, which I heard is gonna happend, but damn. Here case in point. Do you have the stage two brakes?
You have a tune and thats it. It brings the car to about 190bhp not the 230 you think it is. You can't compare peak hp from engine to engine and expect them to perform the same....especially when they are years apart, in different cars, different transmissions, different design, different technology, etc, etc, etc.

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
Anyone can slap some giggle juice on a car and take it down the track.

Last edited by Brandon97Z; 05-27-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon97Z
You have a tune and thats it. It brings the car to about 190bhp not the 230 you think it is. You can't compare peak hp from engine to engine and expect them to perform the same....especially when they are years apart, in different cars, different transmissions, different design, different technology, etc, etc, etc.
you haven't read his fifty million other bullshit posts. He also has one hell of a supercharger that happens to be a prototype from Chevy, and test tuned by the Stig. Don't forget the nawz that's hooked up by hopes and dreams too!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

I saw pictures of it. Its just an aveo with a cobalt body kit.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:57 PM

No i read the first few and stopped when every post of his was a novel and full of nothing that makes much sense. All of this over a used 2.4 bought with a simple tune thought to be a secret race cobalt from GM that sneaked into production.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM

i can't ******* believe this thread.

there is no way anybody can be that stupid.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:22 PM

you mean after all his posts, you still don't believe it, lol. I believe you meant to say that stupid people shouldn't breed, lol.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 PM

Um....Dude rtullos, you know how i know for an absolute fact that your car is not pushing 230 hp? How I can prove you don't have 230 hp? well the proof lies in this thread, you've said it yourself..... you don't have LSD its impossable :P
Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Cobalttc05
Um....Dude rtullos, you know how i know for an absolute fact that your car is not pushing 230 hp? How I can prove you don't have 230 hp? well the proof lies in this thread, you've said it yourself..... you don't have LSD its impossable :P
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-27-2009, 10:24 PM

epic

i'm just surprised this has gone on for twelve pages now, and he still hasn't been banned
Old 05-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

thats cause this isn't rtullos thread lol
Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

EVERYONE I FOUND RTELLOS (or however you spell it) Rare SS. Its right here in tampa. Someone needs to buy it before GM repos it.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/1178879330.html
Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 PM

Honestly man, I tried your approach with my very first post. I described the car and told of what had happened while driving it. The secret supercar ****, was conjured up be everyone else. All I was saying was that the car was a bit more powerful then I was told. Thats all I have been trying to say. I didnt come to boast or be better than anyone else. I did however discover something about GM Performance Division teaming up with certain partners for certain projects on certain cobalts. I posted the info with verifications, and I ******* got censored. I havent threatened anyone will anything other getting beat in a race. Do the research yourself. Go find out for yourself what renowned race engine builder is in bed with GM Performance Division. I'll give you a hint, it starts with an "R". One final thing mexi, Im angry now because some people think its cool to talk about sexaully assaulting a deceased mother, it happened to me. Nice guy left at that moment. I didnt start all this animosity. I was too floored by the 93 responses of personal attacks that I never thought would have happened. Obviously something I said touched a nerve. Im out of apologies for whatever I said that offended people in that first post. Mexi, would you appreciate me trashing your deceased mother on here, in public? I think not. Guarunteed I'm going to defensive now. The line was crossed. You think I dont' know ****, can the childish immaturity and you just might surprised at what I do know. Hence the words now everyone. If you want to have mature discussions about Cobalt, awesome. If you want to dog me out and and do the "I know you are but what am I" ****, expect relentless posting of "go **** yourself." People here toss those momma jokes like its "real talk." Where I'm from, dissing momma' get's you hospitalized." Anyone who reads this and was offended by something in my first cobaltss.net post, I sincerely apologize. I never intended to offend anyone.

dude enough with the ****, post a picture or a video, its SO simple, let us see what the car has so WE can tell you what it has. because what your saying makes NO SENSE there are tuners on this site, people who have worked with these engines for years. your acting like a child, im sure everything you own has its own little story and is better or special in some way compared to other people property. thats how kids act. you know as well as everyone else that when you talk about your secret electric superchargers and the special power your cobalt has that gm sent to the dealer(since they used to make "special orders that the average public couldnt get)

these stories are BULLSHIT. they're not true, your car might be fast, it might have aftermarket mods, but dont try to explain what you clearly dont understand to experts on the car, and make up stories to cover what you know is bullshit you could get away with this on a honda forum or a vw forum, but you chose the wrong place to do it lol

bottom line: VIDEOS AND PICTURES
Old 05-28-2009, 11:01 AM

thats cause this isn't rtullos thread lol
kind of reminds me of a certain other member that used to infect other people's threads like a bad std and get them flamed and way off topic.....
Old 05-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Old 05-28-2009, 11:30 AM

starts with a "c", and was a stickler for debadging the "sport" badge and replacing it with an "SS" one....
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

oh yeah. me and him got into it aaaaaaaalllllllll the time
Old 05-30-2009, 01:28 AM

Dang, I havent posted in a week on this thread and people are still going off. OK the fun is over. Two things to clear up. I never claimed that I had some secret supercharger, I was only told that bullshit by someone else. 2. I never claimed my car had any specfic amount of horsepower or torgue, I was merely stating what it felt like to me, and that I thought the car was more powerful than what was stated to me. I only repeated things I have heard from others, whether factual or otherwise, outrageous or not. Instead of polite, intelligent responses, all I have gotten is immature words from people who claim have worked on ecotecs for "years" when they havent even existed for "years".

Roush Industries, in conjunction with GM Racing, has
done development and testing of a naturally aspirated
ECOTEC race engine. The engine generates
approximately 325 hp on E85 or 340 hp methanol.
At this time, neither GM nor any aftermarket companies
offer the modified production blocks and heads used in this
application. Roush Industries in Livonia, Michigan offers
this complete engine package for sale.
The base for the naturally aspirated race engine is a
complete production L61 (2.2L), LE5 (2.4L) or LSJ (2.0L
supercharged) ECOTEC engine. The block is bored to
88.9 mm (3.500 in) and sleeved. We use a productionreplacement
Eagle crank for improved longevity, although
it is possible to retain the production L61 or LE5 crank. The
resulting displacement for the engine is 143.4 cubic
inches.
The production head from a L61 (2.2L), LE5 (2.4L) or LSJ
(2.0L supercharged) ECOTEC engine is ported specifically
for this naturally aspirated application and machined to
match a 88.9 mm bore size and accept high-lift camshafts.
Additional long block parts include:
ARP headstuds and fasteners
Eagle forged steel crank and connecting rods
(Crank part number 2237245765,
Rods part number CRS5765C3D)
JE forged aluminum pistons
Cometic head gasket
Roush fabricated oil pan and front engine plate
Comp Cams billet race camshafts
(Intake 8780 Exhaust 8781)
GM Performance Parts adjustable cam gears
(part number 88958613)