General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Your rights about your car warranty and aftermarket mods.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a little plan that seems to work out pretty well, i have a couple mods that void my warranty, (nothing major i.e internals or anything) like a cat-back, CAI, Aluminum Intercooler Piping and a by-pass valve, and when for example my O2 censor started to go out, i take about 3 hours and return everything to stock, THEN take it in for service work lol. works like a charm. Until it needs to be towed? Luckily when i had a little roadkill accident the local collision repair shop was able to do it all, it never even went to the local Chevrolet dealer. Who tried to screw me over too, $1450 for an OEM clutch installed? are you kidding me?

Last edited by boostbum06; 02-14-2008 at 04:20 AM. Reason: i had some typos.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:37 AM

i know every question is getting repetitive but body mods, headlights and wheels are those gonna void? if the wheels void hell i will just swap wheels before service and also if i get a new full audio system with in dash screen could i get nailed for anything because of any electrical
Old 03-15-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2.floor08
i know every question is getting repetitive but body mods, headlights and wheels are those gonna void? if the wheels void hell i will just swap wheels before service and also if i get a new full audio system with in dash screen could i get nailed for anything because of any electrical
Body mods and tires don't void warranty i am a Service Tech for GM we just tell people if they upgrade in wheel size they will notice less then normal braking things like that. But when it comes to the radio that is different. If you wire correctly into the factory wire harness with the correct connectors then it won't be an issue. We have tons of people come in with wires just thrown where ever they want such as ignition switches. Just do it right. we can tell what you have done. But most people think we are trying to screw everyone out of a warranty, which is not true. It is the manufacture who does it. I have plenty of corvette guys come in with after market parts on, i still help them and fix their issues under warranty. Get to know your Tech ask for the same one each time, this works for me. i am honest and i work on peoples cars as if they were mine. Hope this helps
Old 03-15-2008, 03:57 PM

All 4 GM dealerships here are ******** and have to be taught how to do **** by thier customers, I had to teach them how to recallibrate all kinds of **** and I have diagnosed problems at school before bringing it in because they are so incompotent. I applied at a dealership and they said I wasnt experienced enough(right after I showed them how to fix my ******* car). Once I made an appointment to get an oil change and I only use RP, I checked the oil afterwards and they changed it but with something else, I bitched and they claimed I didnt bring in the RP(had 5 quarts sitting in the passenger seat when i dropped it off), popped the trunk and showed them 4 cases, one which was missing 5 quarts and told them to find it. A few minutes later a lady called me into her office and said they had found my oil which was sitting next to the bay. Some ****** was about to steal my RP. I always require them to let me watch any repair work they do since I have to do most myself anyways.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cobaltss/TC
Body mods and tires don't void warranty i am a Service Tech for GM we just tell people if they upgrade in wheel size they will notice less then normal braking things like that. But when it comes to the radio that is different. If you wire correctly into the factory wire harness with the correct connectors then it won't be an issue. We have tons of people come in with wires just thrown where ever they want such as ignition switches. Just do it right. we can tell what you have done. But most people think we are trying to screw everyone out of a warranty, which is not true. It is the manufacture who does it. I have plenty of corvette guys come in with after market parts on, i still help them and fix their issues under warranty. Get to know your Tech ask for the same one each time, this works for me. i am honest and i work on peoples cars as if they were mine. Hope this helps

I have a question for you since you are a service tech, I have a 06 ss/sc just on the front bumper of my car the paint is coming off!! its bubbling up and pealing off can warranty cover that?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had a brand new tranny replaced under warranty. i grenaded it at the track, and luckily there was a fellow SS/SC owner there that worked at the local chevy dealership. he called his buddy that owns a tow truck service, and had my car picked up "20 miles" from the racetrack. i went in to talk to him, and everyone at the dealer knew it had been at the track. haha. even the servicewriter asked me what times i had been running. it depends on the dealer. some are really open to modding, and some hate it. it all depends.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:40 PM

Does a used GMPP part void warranty?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Former Vendor

Not all GMPP parts are 'warranty friendly'. Research the situation in detail before presenting your case to the dealer.

Knowing where you stand ahead of time is 90% of the battle, as is professional and calm explanation. It's like anything else...the keys to success are preparation and presentation. You get what you want when you know how to get it
Old 09-05-2008, 05:16 PM

Easy solution.. I know this is outdated but I thought I would add this. Take your mechanic at your dealership out for a beer a few times. Become friends. You then are covered. EVERYTIME. I FRIED my ecu taking a tune from a company , apparently they sent me a tune for a 2003 or 2004 Cavalier for my Cobalt cuz the engine was the same size lol. IDIOTS!

My mechanic at the chevy dealership pretty much laughed at me .. marked it up as a generic failed ecu and replaced for free. YAY ME!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vendian
^^^ Would you recommend a different type of tire rather than replacing the two that seem to be defunct?

I actually work for goodyear tire and rubber company and your right sometimes there can be a bad batch of tires that won't wear the same as the others and on the other hand not rotating the tires is also a huge reason for excessive tire wear especially since the first tire rotation is the most important and should be done every 6000 miles.....but if your going to replace the tires look into the new Eagle F1 A/S they make them in the size for the ss/sc and they have gotten awsome ratings.......any other questions and id be happy to help
Old 10-06-2008, 12:11 AM

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) means that the dealership cant **** me over if I slap on aftermarket parts as long as they dont inflict damage on the car??
Old 10-06-2008, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cobaltss/TC

Well maybe you should move to the chevy dealership by my house where I bought my car I work at a shop and inspected my car( while it was completly stock) and noticed that all of my suspension was blown.....so when I took it in for warranty replacement they said that only my lr shock was leaking and that that was all that they would replace.....I bitched the service writer out because I am a service manager at a shop and I know bad parts when I see them....the ******* then told me it was going to take another 3 days to put my one shock in....so I piled like 800 miles on their rental impala.......Screw that dealership I will never go back and the shitty thing is ive got a bearing going out in my trans.........
Old 10-30-2008, 04:02 PM

dont know if its been said yet...

warranties can be applied to pretty much all after market parts AS LONG AS THE DEALER INSTALLS IT. as long as the dealer installs it, you're pretty much guaranteed some form of a warranty.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Toasted08cobalt2.2
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) means that the dealership cant **** me over if I slap on aftermarket parts as long as they dont inflict damage on the car??
Sort of. What it means is that the dealership would have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the damage or failure in order to refuse warranty work. Otherwise, it is covered. For example, I installed a CAI. They told me that my MAF was getting oily because of the oily filter. They wouldn't work on it because of the aftermarket CAI, but suggested that I go to Checker and buy some MAF cleaner and clean it up. But, if you put a pulley on the supercharger that is too small (probably not the best example), and destroy the supercharger, they can prove the failure if you don't remove the pulley.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 PM

I just bought my 2007 chevy cobalt ss for 10k and it i awesome love it but i got it so cheap because it had been in an accident at one point. The title turned salvage and then was reinspected any idea how i can get my warranty reinstated or is their no way?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by prvdoughnut
I just bought my 2007 chevy cobalt ss for 10k and it i awesome love it but i got it so cheap because it had been in an accident at one point. The title turned salvage and then was reinspected any idea how i can get my warranty reinstated or is their no way?
there's no way.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 AM

Well, I had my car in for a TSB on the turbo wastegate acuator solenolid going bad....... While the hood was open and my car in the air, a regional GM rep happen to look at my car while walking past it and
Old 03-29-2009, 03:28 AM

Well, I had my car in for a TSB on the turbo wastegate acuator solenolid going bad....... While the hood was open and my car in the air, a regional GM rep happen to look at my car while walking past it and oticed the exhaust upgrade (non-GM), CAI, and aftermarket catted DP..... Even though as far as I know the TSB is not related to any problems, the rep told the Service Director that he was voiding my powerttrain and drive train warranty.......

Be carefull...
Old 03-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by SportredSS
Well, I had my car in for a TSB on the turbo wastegate acuator solenolid going bad....... While the hood was open and my car in the air, a regional GM rep happen to look at my car while walking past it and oticed the exhaust upgrade (non-GM), CAI, and aftermarket catted DP..... Even though as far as I know the TSB is not related to any problems, the rep told the Service Director that he was voiding my powerttrain and drive train warranty.......

Be carefull...

PM or post your vin , i'll see if it has any warranty block's on it if you want.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Hi Dman!

Could you please explain G85. Also the difference recaro/non recaro makes. I can't seem to find an explanation anywhere. I also have an 07 SS S/C with mods and looking to do more as i learn the ropes.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G85 is the package on our cars that is a limited slip differential, and the recaro makes i think he is talking about is the seats. some models came with recaro seats, a very nice name brand seat, specially made for the cobalt SS/SC
Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 AM

Thanx 09 Turbo! That makes my Balt G85 too!!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

in 05 06 and very early 07 the G85 package included the limited slip differential and the Recaro seat's as a 1500 dollar option. After they used up remaining stock of recaro seat's in early 07..... they offered the G85 package with limited slip only for 495 buck IIRC , and it's stayed that way ever since.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 PM

subscribed
Old 10-10-2009, 04:30 AM

I accept: This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty.

Quick Reply: Your rights about your car warranty and aftermarket mods.