How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Appearance: Fog Lamps as DRL's ('07+ only)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Lamps as DRL's ('07+ only)

Some guys were mad that they switched the daytime running lamps from the turn signals (which IMO looks the best) to the high beams on low voltage for '07 cars. There is a DRL fuse under the hood that you can pull and will have no ill effects. I for one like the look of the fogs and thought I'd have a go at wiring them up as an automatic DRL. This is for my Canadian car. I guess Americans can turn their headlight switch twice or something then press the fog button to turn them on? Not exactly sure how they've got the American BCM setup, but on my car in daytime light pressing the fog switch turns on the fogs and parking lights. That's okay I suppose, but I wanted to a) have them automatically come on during the day, and b) retain normal control of them at night. Took 2 minutes to think about how to wire it then 10 minutes to do it.

You'll need two 5-pin relays, they're cheap at Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, Autozone, Pep Boys or whatever store. Relay Basics

Okay, so I pulled the DRL fuse (located in the fuse box under the hood) obviously since the fogs are my new DRL's. Wiring it as such will turn the fogs on once you turn the key to Acc or beyond, and only if the parking lights are off. Basically I'm just adding power to the fogs to turn them on when the parking lights are off (i.e., daytime). I have the relays under the hood. I have a third relay for switched power to the door plunger and will probably have a fourth and fifth for the e-brake and other door soon. The relays would be safer in the footwell, but when relays switch they make a click and it's annoying so I keep them under the hood.

Left relay:

Pin 30: Connects to 87a of right relay
Pin 85: Trigger. There's a bunch of fuses in the under-hood fusebox that have switched power and you can use an add-a-circuit. Also the BCM fuse area in the center console... sunroof fuse is a good one (especially if you don't have a sunroof) Or just splice into a switched wire anywhere. Doesn't really matter, you're drawing only 300 mA or so.
Pin 86: Ground - any metal on the car.
Pin 87: Switched output to your fogs. Pull out the 15A fog fuse under the hood, stick this wire in there, and push the fuse back in. On this wire you can have an inline fuse with another 15A fuse if so desired.
Pin 87a: Cover it up, as it will be powered at times.

Right relay:

Pin 30: Use some solid wire for this, straight from the battery, i.e. that jumper post thing in the fuse box, and through an inline fuse (I've got a 10A fuse in). This pin will power your fogs during the day and whatever neon/LED **** you wanna do at night.
Pin 85: Ground (any metal on the car)
Pin 86: Trigger that will shut off your fogs once the parking lights come on (you can still turn the fogs on with the switch on your dash like normal). I spliced into the brown parking lamp wire going into the driver's side headlight. Again you can use like 22 guage wire for this cause you're drawing barely anything.
Pin 87: Pin is powered when the car is on and parking lights are on... good for neons/LED.
Pin 87a: Connects to 30 of left relay.

Lastly. If you've never wired up relays before this is a good first project cause there's nothing really serious to mess up here. Is there an easier way to wire this? Yes... but this is the "proper" way, drawing little current from the factory wires and running your own wire to the battery to actually power stuff. If you try to run something like your fogs directly through an add-a-circuit that little thing heats up pretty quick... I wouldn't wanna do that. Use it just to trigger. Unlike your stock DRL, these won't go off if your e-brake is up and you're stopped. A third relay will remedy that, I just didn't care for it initially.

Peace.

Last edited by TommyP; 10-06-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Banned

Wouldn't hittin the fog button just work? Just sayin
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM

^ touche
Old 06-17-2009, 12:14 PM

^thats what i do, shut off my lights and then turn on my fogs
Old 06-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by hailcesar75
Wouldn't hittin the fog button just work? Just sayin
Not on Canadian cars. Or my car at least. Which I tried alluding to if you read the whole thing. It a)isn't automatic, and b) also turns on the parking lights, which I didn't want.

Originally Posted by fredds-turbaltSS
^thats what i do, shut off my lights and then turn on my fogs
On Canadian cars, if the engine is running and you put the brake down (daytime light), the DRL headlights come on and flicking the switch back does nothing to turn them off. The BCM is programmed differently.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks Acey,
Got to try this one!
I've seen a couple of Canadian coupes sporting this lighting and I couldnt' figure out how they did it.

Cheers
AgentZed.