How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Interior: How To: Add Aux Input to pre '07 Cobalts

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forget the PAC

The PAC unit has been returned and I used the walkthrough method instead. Sound quality is equal to using the PAC unit AND I still get XM if I want it. I don't see the point of going with the PAC unit and spending upwards of 100 bucks to get a couple letters on your radio display saying you are using an aux port.
Not to mention having a new found greater knowledge of the inner workings of my car.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 AM

saving this for when i get my cobalt back
Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Slim4
The PAC unit has been returned and I used the walkthrough method instead. Sound quality is equal to using the PAC unit AND I still get XM if I want it. I don't see the point of going with the PAC unit and spending upwards of 100 bucks to get a couple letters on your radio display saying you are using an aux port.
Not to mention having a new found greater knowledge of the inner workings of my car.
Most of us that are using tha PAC unit don't have xm radio, so don't really have that other option. For those without xm it's a great and super easy install, and works great.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Just finished doing this MOD to my '06 SS/SC. It sounds great and only took about 30 mins!!! If anyone in Fort Walton Beach area is interested in doing this MOD and needs some help hit me up! Thanks for the great How To!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey
Most of us that are using tha PAC unit don't have xm radio, so don't really have that other option. For those without xm it's a great and super easy install, and works great.
hey do you have onstar equipped on your car? cause i tried to install one on mine and i couldnt get it to work. i have a no onstar and no xm car. there was only one connector going into the radio.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 AM

Did this last week..only addition was I hacked up a 12-volt USB adapter and fabbed it into the dash (where the seat heaters typically go) next to the audio input. The cable that I'm using just plugs into the dock connector on my iPhone and then has a usb and a 3.5mm audio out that all gets plugged into the dash.
So now I have audio through the car AND my phone charges!!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:15 AM

Thumbs up

love this mod but im thinkin of takin an aux extension(one male end and one female end) and splicing the male end and attaching to the harness then drill thru the deck where the aux input is on the 07+ decks and placin the female in....wud this wrk?

Originally Posted by terry.davis1
Did this last week..only addition was I hacked up a 12-volt USB adapter and fabbed it into the dash (where the seat heaters typically go) next to the audio input. The cable that I'm using just plugs into the dock connector on my iPhone and then has a usb and a 3.5mm audio out that all gets plugged into the dash.
So now I have audio through the car AND my phone charges!!
cam u send pics? very interested in this!

Last edited by bowtiemadness; 06-16-2010 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bowtiemadness
cam u send pics? very interested in this!
It's in pieces right now...the USB wasn't working for some reason and I broke it when I tried to take it out...I have 3 more adapters in the garage, but I'll be out of the state for the next week and a half...hopefully get them done when I get home and then I will snap some pics
Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 PM

What cable did you use for the female end to mount? I tried to find just an Aux cable extension but couldn't. That should work tho, anyone know where they found it? This seems like a slap your forhead easy mod that i should have thought of a LONG time ago, but hey it is what it is. GREAT write up! Lookin to do this and the LED light mod at the same time, might as well if your gonna have it torn apart do it all!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:30 PM

For those of you who have taken my original mod to the next level; how did you accomplish charging and AUX output using the dock connector? Where did you get that wire?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey
I just installed the aPAC-GM11b, and it is not working, it does nothing, and the radio doesn't turn on (the clock comes on, CD ejects etc, but nothing else). it won't power on to make sound.

I took out the module and put the radio back in on it's own and it works fine, but no AUX lol. Anyone have any ideas what to do?

EDIT:

I got it working. Seems the instructions are WRONG for at least some of the cars.

For anyone installing it, it tells you what to do with the pink and pink/black wires. I followed the cobalt wire setup, no workie. installed it like three times, checked my radio with out it, still not working. So I called california (the manufacturer) and asked him what I should do.

He told me to do a manual reset (which means opening up the module and shorting out a capacitor with a screwdriver). Then he said if that doesn't work then try using the solid pink wires (instructions said use pink/black). He said some are different. Long story short, I decided to try the solid pink ones first just in case it was that, since my car is canadian lol. Turns out that was the only problem.

Aside from that, it sounds great. Would have cost the same as this for a FM modulator just about, and this is WAY better. It's a little quirky to change from AUX 1 & 2, but since I'm just using one input really, that doesn't matter much.

I'll take some pics before I tuck it all away incase anyones wants some, PM me, I don't have a spot to upload them right now...
Alright I'm quoting this because it helped me out instantly.

I got the pac thing too and hooked it up today (pictures will come when I get them off my camera tomorrow).

So anyway the directions are p. confusing (with those pink wires) but the module works great (got it on the first try).

So if it helps here's what I did:

male plugs went to the wiring harness, female to the radio, micro to the pac (duh)

I took the solid pink from the male and brought it to the solid pink on the micro then the pink/black on the micro to the solid pink on the female

i left the pink & black on the male and female open

WORKED LIKE A CHARM ON THE FIRST TRY GOGOGOGOGOGOG

I even found a great place to put the box (to the left of the radio there's a lil opening) then I ran the wires through an opening above the radio that was there and then down and out of the fuse box compartment, PERFECT!!!

I love it!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by the_cobalt_kid
What cable did you use for the female end to mount? I tried to find just an Aux cable extension but couldn't. That should work tho, anyone know where they found it? This seems like a slap your forhead easy mod that i should have thought of a LONG time ago, but hey it is what it is. GREAT write up! Lookin to do this and the LED light mod at the same time, might as well if your gonna have it torn apart do it all!
welll i went to radio shack and picked up a male to male 3.5mm extension and cut both ends off and tapped to xm sat radio on one side then i solder n female end whiich had a pin to mount to the plastic which i got from rs but afterwords i realized i cud just get this

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-6ft-Male-t...item2eada6a506

and cut the male side

hope this helped!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by bowtiemadness
welll i went to radio shack and picked up a male to male 3.5mm extension and cut both ends off and tapped to xm sat radio on one side then i solder n female end whiich had a pin to mount to the plastic which i got from rs but afterwords i realized i cud just get this

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-6ft-Male-t...item2eada6a506

and cut the male side

hope this helped!
I looked online for like 4 hours trying to find one of those

anyway im gonna do this as soon as i get back to my car (currently 1400 miles away from it, but a week from monday and im THERE.)

Thanks man, helped alot
Old 06-20-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ForsakenOutlaw57
Alright I'm quoting this because it helped me out instantly.

I got the pac thing too and hooked it up today (pictures will come when I get them off my camera tomorrow).

So anyway the directions are p. confusing (with those pink wires) but the module works great (got it on the first try).

So if it helps here's what I did:

male plugs went to the wiring harness, female to the radio, micro to the pac (duh)

I took the solid pink from the male and brought it to the solid pink on the micro then the pink/black on the micro to the solid pink on the female

i left the pink & black on the male and female open

WORKED LIKE A CHARM ON THE FIRST TRY GOGOGOGOGOGOG

I even found a great place to put the box (to the left of the radio there's a lil opening) then I ran the wires through an opening above the radio that was there and then down and out of the fuse box compartment, PERFECT!!!

I love it!

https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/fil...7/dsc_3201.jpg
https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/fil...7/dsc_3204.jpg
https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/fil...7/dsc_3210.jpg
https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/fil...7/dsc_3215.jpg
https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/fil...7/dsc_3222.jpg

Pics of my setup and finished product.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by gpro
For those of you who have taken my original mod to the next level; how did you accomplish charging and AUX output using the dock connector? Where did you get that wire?
This http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
and this http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I modified the USB adapted cut it into the dash, tapped off of the sunroof fuse for power and used a screw behind the radio for ground.

I'll snap some photos when I get home next week...currently about 4 hours from my car this week
Old 06-21-2010, 01:28 PM

This http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
and this http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I modified the USB adapted cut it into the dash, tapped off of the sunroof fuse for power and used a screw behind the radio for ground.

I'll snap some photos when I get home next week...currently about 4 hours from my car this week
Awesome, thanks. I think I'm going to redo my set-up your way so that I can charge my iPhone.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by the_cobalt_kid
I looked online for like 4 hours trying to find one of those

anyway im gonna do this as soon as i get back to my car (currently 1400 miles away from it, but a week from monday and im THERE.)

Thanks man, helped alot
np im prob gonna post pix soon of wat mine looked lke n with the finished product
Old 07-01-2010, 12:30 AM

The addition of a male connector is pretty easy. You just have to wire the left, right, and ground to their respective parts on the male connector as opposed to their respective wires if you splice in an actual AUX wire. I don't know that I ever properly thanked the OP, but I am now. This was a great write-up and took me about an hour (I'm pretty new to this mod stuff). Most of that time was spent cutting/stripping the wires and then trying to get everything connected when I had the AUX jack where I wanted it. I took a nice small drill bit and drilled a hole slightly smaller than the AUX jack so it'd be a nice fit.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Best 20min mod out there!!! Great write up!
Old 07-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Well, I reinstalled my USB port the other day after making a new one...and when I connect it all it says is this device does not support charging or some ****...
so that was a waste of my time. I'll keep at it...especially since I have a hole in my dash now
Old 07-03-2010, 12:32 AM

Well, I reinstalled my USB port the other day after making a new one...and when I connect it all it says is this device does not support charging or some ****...
so that was a waste of my time. I'll keep at it...especially since I have a hole in my dash now
That's what my iphone was saying when I plugged it into the Cigarette Lighter USB charger. I also noticed that the transistor on the circuit board inside that charger was extremely hot while I had the phone plugged into it.

I think when I was soldering wires to that board I damaged the transistor. When i have the motivation I'll order a new charger and try again.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:57 PM

after finishing this mod my upper left front speaker wont play on any function, cd, radio, xm... anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by fisscam
after finishing this mod my upper left front speaker wont play on any function, cd, radio, xm... anyone have any ideas?
Did you touch the wire to another? It's possible that you fried it.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Or the speaker wire is just loose. hopefully..
Old 07-13-2010, 03:30 PM

ok so i have an xm plug for my car but no xm option when hitting source or band how do i get my aux to work?

bump

Last edited by OiangeSS; 07-13-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Interior: How To: Add Aux Input to pre '07 Cobalts