How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.0 LNF Engine: How to for CIA Down pipe...warning - big pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to for CIA Down pipe...warning - big pics!

Ok... Let me start off by saying this ended up being a straight-forward easy install...

Here is a picture of the dp:

Tools used:
Standard socket (15mm?) with an assortment if extenders and wobble extensions.
Penetrating oil (for bolts)
Anti-seize lubricant (for threads on the o2 sensor)
Small screwdriver (to pry off old gasket from header)
22mm open ended wrench (to take off o2 sensor)

Steps:
1. Jack car in air and support on stands (leaving your car on jacks could potentially result in blood on your undercarriage thereby hurting your re-sale value)
2. Spray all bolts and o2 sensor with penetrating oil
3. Let the bolts soak for approx. 15 mins (you can use this time wisely to gather your tools)

Note - It wasn't especially difficult to loosen the bolts on my vehicle...but I also do not allow my car's undercarriage to get dirty....

4. Start with o2 sensor. Remove sensor using 22mm wrench. Be careful not to allow the sensor (itself) to touch anything
5. Start with the header side...loosen the top left bolt. There are two ways of approaching this bolt. (1.) from below (very tight fit...limited range of motion) - may be necessary to break bolt loose... (2.) straight forward with lots of extenders...

Note - We used (1.) followed by (2.)

6. Loosen other bolts in a cross-wise formation and remove bolts connecting dp to header.

7. Repeat process on other side of dp

8. Remove dp...keep in mind that the stock dp is rather heavy

9. Using the small screwdriver, pry the factory gasket off of the header

10. Clean everything, especially the cat gasket as you will need to reuse this piece

11. Put new gasket on new dp

12. Install new dp - going in order of header to cat.

13. Place small amount of anti-seize on the threads ONLY for the o2 sensor

14. Re-install o2 sensor

Comments: Total install time - 1 hr

Ease of install - 2 out of 10

The CIA downpipe is a vast improvement over the stock unit. It allows the car the breathe easier, thereby increasing the performance aspect of the car and making it louder. The CIA dp is approximately 10lbs lighter than the stock unit and was less cumbersome. Runs following the install seemed to indicate higher boost levels (however it is unknown at this time how long until the car re-installs the learn down feature). After installing your dp, make sure to allow the car to idle for at least 10 minutes to allow idle to settle (at first mine was a little rough as the car was getting use to the better flow).

Last edited by Nakaiya21; 04-17-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:51 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice. Will a stock car still throw a cell even thought you have a cat? The reason I ask is I see they have the O2 bung mount extended to reduce the about of gases that make it to the censor like most company's do to the catless down pipes.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:14 PM

nice write up. ill probably use this. ill be ordering the same dp in the future.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by RBC
Nice. Will a stock car still throw a cell even thought you have a cat? The reason I ask is I see they have the O2 bung mount extended to reduce the about of gases that make it to the censor like most company's do to the catless down pipes.

Nope..no cel at all.... Lets put it this way... On my first pull I was doing a 3rd gear pull and I popped the cold side charge piping off of the car (at the throttle body)...

The car went into limp mode, but no cel at all.... After putting everything back on and running it, it seems the car is actually more responsive and runs smoother (in a sense)... it is hard to describe unless you are behind the wheel....

My car is not tuned at this point in time (hopefully soon though). I would say that based on my experience, this mod is the best bang for the buck. Although my car will probably learn-down pretty soon, it hasn't yet. I boosted 20 psi doing a 2nd gear pull last night with no problems. The sound is also excellent. I could actually hear my car bite down for the first time last night...it sounded great. The exhaust does smell worse, but that is to be expected...

I would recommend the following order for mods:
dp
charge piping
tune
cold air intake....may not even be warranted
Old 03-14-2009, 03:43 PM

Great write up glad you like the product yea the exhaust gases do smell more i just like revving my engine at the guy tailing me he will get a great smell
Old 03-14-2009, 03:48 PM

I was a little disappointed that you didn't go back and sign it
Old 03-14-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nakaiya21
I was a little disappointed that you didn't go back and sign it
huh?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:56 PM

relax...referring to a really old post in another section
Old 03-14-2009, 03:58 PM

wasn't upset i just kept re-reading it and didn't understand lol
Old 03-14-2009, 05:01 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope..no cel at all.... Lets put it this way... On my first pull I was doing a 3rd gear pull and I popped the cold side charge piping off of the car (at the throttle body)...

The car went into limp mode, but no cel at all.... After putting everything back on and running it, it seems the car is actually more responsive and runs smoother (in a sense)... it is hard to describe unless you are behind the wheel....

My car is not tuned at this point in time (hopefully soon though). I would say that based on my experience, this mod is the best bang for the buck. Although my car will probably learn-down pretty soon, it hasn't yet. I boosted 20 psi doing a 2nd gear pull last night with no problems. The sound is also excellent. I could actually hear my car bite down for the first time last night...it sounded great. The exhaust does smell worse, but that is to be expected...

I would recommend the following order for mods:
dp
charge piping
tune
cold air intake....may not even be warranted
I know it won't get a cell with the extended o2 bung, but I was referring to why do they need the extended bung when running a cat. I was wondering if it would throw a cell with a regular o2 bung. Anyway like the others said nice right up.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:54 PM

Great write-up. We get spoiled here with the lifts available. Total time to swap with the use of a lift and air tools is roughly 15 minutes. So an hour on jack stands is great. Good job. I'm glad you are happy with the down-pipe performance and quality.

As for why we need the extended O2 chamber with a converter. Actually, we don't. We have been building catted down-pipes without the extended chamber and haven't had any customers experience a cell. However, with our competitor advertising the extended O2 chamber being innovative and preventing cells, we knew we needed to include it with our down-pipe or loose sales to "creative marketing" as some members may start believing the other guys have a more complete product.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 PM

I'm have a tune Dan. Feel free to leave the chamber off of mine
Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that downpipe looks a lot longer. does it strain the exhaust at all??
Old 03-30-2009, 02:33 PM

is it just me being insane or does every aftermarket dp look longer than the stock one?

i'm looking to throw a dp onto my 2.2 but i dont want the dp to be any longer than it already is. my exhaust tip sticks out as it is.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackbolt89
is it just me being insane or does every aftermarket dp look longer than the stock one?

i'm looking to throw a dp onto my 2.2 but i dont want the dp to be any longer than it already is. my exhaust tip sticks out as it is.
Optical illusion. Set one directly on top of the other and I bet they are the exact same length. I hope.

definitely a great how to though. Makes me more confident I'll be able to start the install and not have to call a wrecker to finish it.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:11 PM

Noooooo, all the pics are gone
Old 04-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Ok... Let me start off by saying this ended up being a straight-forward easy install...

Here is a picture of the dp:http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325[IMG]/nakaiya21/04ClearImagehighflowcat.jpg[/IMG]

Tools used:
Standard socket (15mm?) with an assortment if extenders and wobble extensions.
Penetrating oil (for bolts)
Anti-seize lubricant (for threads on the o2 sensor)
Small screwdriver (to pry off old gasket from header)
22mm open ended wrench (to take off o2 sensor)

Steps:
1. Jack car in air and support on stands (leaving your car on jacks could potentially result in blood on your undercarriage thereby hurting your re-sale value)
2. Spray all bolts and o2 sensor with penetrating oil
3. Let the bolts soak for approx. 15 mins (you can use this time wisely to gather your tools)

Note - It wasn't especially difficult to loosen the bolts on my vehicle...but I also do not allow my car's undercarriage to get dirty....

4. Start with o2 sensor. Remove sensor using 22mm wrench. Be careful not to allow the sensor (itself) to touch anything
5. Start with the header side...loosen the top left bolt. There are two ways of approaching this bolt. (1.) from below (very tight fit...limited range of motion) - may be necessary to break bolt loose... (2.) straight forward with lots of extenders...

Note - We used (1.) followed by (2.)

6. Loosen other bolts in a cross-wise formation and remove bolts connecting dp to header.

7. Repeat process on other side of dp

8. Remove dp...keep in mind that the stock dp is rather heavy

9. Using the small screwdriver, pry the factory gasket off of the header

10. Clean everything, especially the cat gasket as you will need to reuse this piece

11. Put new gasket on new dp

12. Install new dp - going in order of header to cat.

13. Place small amount of anti-seize on the threads ONLY for the o2 sensor

14. Re-install o2 sensor

Comments: Total install time - 1 hr

Ease of install - 2 out of 10

The CIA downpipe is a vast improvement over the stock unit. It allows the car the breathe easier, thereby increasing the performance aspect of the car and making it louder. The CIA dp is approximately 10lbs lighter than the stock unit and was less cumbersome. Runs following the install seemed to indicate higher boost levels (however it is unknown at this time how long until the car re-installs the learn down feature). After installing your dp, make sure to allow the car to idle for at least 10 minutes to allow idle to settle (at first mine was a little rough as the car was getting use to the better flow).
pics arent working for me
Old 04-17-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trust me. it fitted perfectly.

u need the longest freakin extension in the world tho. lol

like at least a 12-15 in extension. including a pivot. works much better...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 PM

Pics won't work for me either
Old 04-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They used to work lol.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by orbalt08
Pics won't work for me either
Sorry guys... I will fix this immediately....

Ok.. I fixed everything. When I get a chance I will upload the pictures to the gallery so that everyone can see them whenever they need to...

Last edited by Nakaiya21; 04-17-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 PM

Pics are now working. Great job. I thought the new dp would have come with a new gasket.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:55 PM

^It came with a new gasket for the header...but you will need to reuse the one between the dp and the catback
Old 04-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry guys... I will fix this immediately....

Ok.. I fixed everything. When I get a chance I will upload the pictures to the gallery so that everyone can see them whenever they need to...
Thread saved lol
Old 04-18-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just ordered my pipe, hopefully i can get a lift to intsall it. would make it a whole lot easier

Quick Reply: 2.0 LNF Engine: How to for CIA Down pipe...warning - big pics!