Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   How to Guide (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/)
-   -   2.0 LSJ Engine: How to install the "AEM intake" for your Cobalt SS/SC (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/how-install-aem-intake-your-cobalt-ss-sc-23779/)

Nuclear 06-26-2006 09:33 PM

sorry man i wasn't trying to put down AEM at all or your write up of the install, it was good

3fo893013L 06-26-2006 09:51 PM

how did you get more noticed torque from the AEM intake when the torque numbers are the same on both dynos?? I see the torque comes slightly sooner by 15lbs in 3800RPM but it's not anymore torque then when you dynoed stock. I don't get it.

Not bashing just trying to understand I guess. I can't feel 15lbs more torque. Car runs the same just pulls harder higher end with HP increase.

SS_SC_Cobalt 06-26-2006 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Good luck with that plastic piping heat soaking all that hot air. The K&N's pipe actually reduces the heat soak you get with the plastic stock piping. So again, I paid for something shiney that has some use and looks good.

sneaky, plastic is more thermally stable than metal, meaning it WILL stay cooler...

marzbarz 06-27-2006 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by denny
Congratulations with that. You just bought a nice and very expensive shiny new pipe that doesnt fit properly and uses a K&N oiled filter. Did you get a CEL yet, If yes then it's time to go clean that MAF sensor again. :cssNET:

that shinny pipe is better. take a look at the stock intake tube its all bent and not the same radius all around. the shinny intake tube we have is manderal bent meaning a better airflow. i mean thats what we waste all this money on a new cat-back right. im not just going to put a tip at the end?????manderal bent pipping is a bit better man.. ijen all the way:cool:

Blown 4-banger 06-27-2006 12:15 AM

At the track when I first got my intake, I opened the hood about 10 minutes after shutting the engine off. I felt the pipe it was really hot, then I started the car and 30 seconds later the intake tube was cool to the touch. Also, if you know how to oil a K&N filter you don't have to worry about "gumming" up the MAF sensor. I bought my intake from someone who was selling their car, so before I installed the intake I re-oiled the filter and re-oiled it right! I installed the intake and got a cel about a week later for about 15 miles then it went away and never came back and that was over 2000 miles ago.

denny 06-27-2006 08:46 AM

wow, bashing K&N are we? I have the intake and I have no check engine lights ever! I got it once. That was because it got wet from water. dried it and it was fine.

The trick with the K&N and the rest of them is to take the whole sensor off without taking a little bit off at a time. I took the whole thing off (wire harness and sensor as one unit not seperate). Good luck with that plastic piping heat soaking all that hot air. The K&N's pipe actually reduces the heat soak you get with the plastic stock piping. So again, I paid for something shiney that has some use and looks good.

That AEM intake is crap. That I would have to say that is the first time I've ever seen an AEM intake without a full piping. You might as well just take the stock piping off at the thorttle body and turn it into an SRI with what AEM gave you. Seriously.. you saved a whopping $80 but you only got "HAL F THE PURCHASE". Where's the rest of the intake?

As for K&N over oiling the filters I agree on that but a dry filter isn't going to do you a load of wonders either. Good luck cleaning it after you have to dip it in harsh chemicals like K&N does.

it's your purchase I'm just giving my input. I usually see AEM as performance but that is like removing the stock airbox and just putting a small pipe and a filter on the end. If I wanted that I would go to Murrays and buy a $30 K&N cone filter and some PCV piping :lol: because that's what you paid for.

Not putting you down, good write up but bitter about people who waste money on half purchases, to each there own.

EDIT: My dealership doesn't care about my intake. It's fine under the Moss Act they said.

Sneaky, First off you need to calm down o.k. Calling the AEM intake crap is uncalled for:nono: Now enough with this who is better b.s and lets all move on. This debate could go on forever! I made my decision and you made yours.
Have a good day:)

3fo893013L 06-27-2006 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by denny
Sneaky, First off you need to calm down o.k. Calling the AEM intake crap is uncalled for:nono: Now enough with this who is better b.s and lets all move on. This debate could go on forever! I made my decision and you made yours.
Have a good day:)

I edited it. Not to say that it wasn't uncalled for but someone has to defend K&N.

Enufftogoaround 06-30-2006 04:16 PM

yoo

Originally Posted by Nuclear
sorry man i wasn't trying to put down AEM at all or your write up of the install, it was good

Hey nuclear, what are you running in the 1/4 mile with those mods, because thats my goal pretty much what you have? I'm hoping mid 13's?

denny 07-05-2006 05:13 PM

I edited it. Not to say that it wasn't uncalled for but someone has to defend K&N.

It's all good bro:)

Kemble 07-17-2006 12:21 PM

Uhhhh.. educate a noob on what a CEL is please?

Livnlow 07-18-2006 11:18 AM

I feel misled about the AEM intake. I know I shouldn't assume anything but who'd expect to buy a CAI kit and it's simply a filter and a small bracket/connector? Mine is scheduled for delivery and now I don't even want it. If we get no piping for under the hood, can someone explain what I see in this pic?
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ros/zzp9-1.jpg

CEL=Check Engine Light

SS_SC_Cobalt 07-18-2006 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Livnlow
I feel misled about the AEM intake. I know I shouldn't assume anything but who'd expect to buy a CAI kit and it's simply a filter and a small bracket/connector? Mine is scheduled for delivery and now I don't even want it. If we get no piping for under the hood, can someone explain what I see in this pic?
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ros/zzp9-1.jpg

CEL=Check Engine Light

basically you are seeing a stock pipe with a aem sticker on it :)
I have a friend with an injen used intake would you trade the aem for the injen?

John 07-18-2006 01:23 PM

hey denny is it possible to buy one of those filter by its self?

lmk thanks

denny 07-18-2006 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by John
hey denny is it possible to buy one of those filter by its self?

lmk thanks

Yeap it is. AEM sells them in a lot of different sizes. They now use the DRYFLOW on every kit they sell....no more old K&N :)

mbp422 07-19-2006 08:54 AM

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

EdPJ 07-22-2006 10:11 PM

Which intake is best? Injen? K&N? AEM? I've always had K&Ns on previous cars... but the fact that the AEM is a dry intake is making me think twice about the K&N...

Trag 08-09-2006 11:01 AM

So you get an Injen or K&N intake system and you purchase a dry filter from AEM..... best of both. And while your at it, you purchase the AEM water thingy they sell so you dont suck in water and put it before the MAF and after the Filter.

1. You get a dry filter
2. You get the nice shiney pipe.
3. No CEL oily problems.
4. Sit back and have a beer.

I just want to know which brand has the widest intake diameter. Anyone?

darrend3 08-23-2006 08:22 PM

jbp or jpb whatever the brand name is its a 3inch every other pipe is the same its all personal preference

firesting 09-11-2006 11:13 AM

I'd like to thank this how-to as I bought an AEM Intake for my ss-sc and installed it myself! It sounds great; so bad-ass! My car can finally breathe clean air... That GM stock filter sucks lol

LewiSS 09-11-2006 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by firesting
I'd like to thank this how-to as I bought an AEM Intake for my ss-sc and installed it myself! It sounds great; so bad-ass! My car can finally breathe clean air... That GM stock filter sucks lol

Actually, the stock filter DOESN'T suck - that's the problem :lol:

EmperorJJ1 02-18-2007 05:48 PM

thanks.. the pics helped alot when installing my k&N

07LaserBlueSS 03-23-2007 01:38 PM

Great how to! Installing mine today!

RedEcotecSS 03-25-2007 11:40 PM

great how-to. thinking of ordering mine tonight. i actually perfer not to have a shiny intake pipe. so i think the AEM is for me. thanks again for the excellent how-to bro.

Degashoot 09-30-2007 09:25 PM

Nice HT indeed.
I will be ordering the AEM shortly.

SSrob 03-04-2008 12:48 PM

can someone link me as to where to get he dry filter and the "Dry Thingy" lol