How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.2 L61 Engine: How To: Install Injen CAI on 2.2 or 2.4L

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How To: Install Injen CAI on 2.2 or 2.4L

This is the method I used to install my Injen CAI:

Rather than pulling off the entire front bumper do the following:

Open the hood and remove the factory air box and tubing. Pull off the engine cover and remove the tubing from the throttle body by loosening the clamp and pulling on the tubing. Remove the breather line from the intake hose/valve cover with a pair of pliers to squeeze the clamp. Disconnect the MAFS (mass air flow sensor) and remove it fromthe factory intake hose. Unbolt the factory airbox assembly and pull it up apart from the intake resonator assembly. (Note; I hope this covers the underhood removal procedure as the rest of this was written like 6 months ago and I am just now adding this part from memory; I never thought this required instructions).

Clean your new intake piping. Remove any metal particles with clean, lint free rags. Install the MAFS into the new intake tube being sure to install it in the right direction with the arrow pointing towards the throttle body.

Remove the passenger wheel well liner: Remove all push clips/ plastic pins or rivets (whatever these fasteners are called) by inserting a small flat head screwdrive b/n the head and the base of the plastic fastener. Twist the screwdriver to pop up the center part, pull it out and then pull out the base piece. Remove all plastic fasteners in this manner. Remove all bolts/screws in the fenderwell liner (7/32" I think). Note: This cover extends up under the front corner toward the front bumper. Be sure to remove all plastic fasteners and screws. Next, push kinda up and in toward the engine compartment to pull the lip of the liner out of the fender; then just pull it out and set it aside.

Start your car and turn the wheel all the way to the right and then switch it off.
To remove the factory intake resonator there is one very long plastic fastener at the rear of the resonator; remove this one just like all of the others. Then using a small ratchet with a 10mm socket you will have to remove one bolt from the front side of the resonator. To do this, insert the ratchet from the bottom of the front side of the resonator; this is where you will look to see what you are doing. Take your right hand and reach in b/n the fender and resonator; reach over the resonator around to where the bolt is. Use the ratchet to remove the bolt. This may be done just by feeling your way around rather than trying to watch it while you do it. Once you get that bolt out, just pull down and the resonator will come right out.

Installing your Injen CAI:

You will want to start by installing the rubber adapter onto the Injen elbow (it's the hardest one to fit). I had a lot of difficulty getting mine on. Microwave a large bowl of water; get the water extremely hot. Be careful removing the water from the microwave b/c if it is actually superheated past the bowling point it can rush up and out of the container if disturbed.
Place the rubber adapter in the water for 3-5 minutes. Remove it and quickly but carefully try to install it onto the elboow. REMEMBER that thing is gonna be really F'in hot!!!!
Now install the elbow with rubber (silicone) connector onto the throttle body; don't forget the clamps. Install the straight pipe next and then insert the contorted one. Make sure you are going the right way with the pipe that goes down into the fenderwell. It's kind of confusing and can be forced in the wrong way. Make sure it just goes right in. Bolt down the Vibra-mount. Install the filter throught the fenderwell opening. Mine was really greasy and kept slipping off the pipe everytime I tightened up the clamp. I washed the flange with warm soapy water like 3-4 times to clean it (or use acetone or alcohol). DO NOT LET SOAPY WATER GET ON YOUR FILTER. Tighten down all of your clamps after checking for fitment and clearances. Reconnect the MAFS lead and install the breather line b/n the intake tube and the valve cover.

Replace the liner with all fasteners and screws; make sure you fit the liner back into the lip of the fender first.

Go for a test drive and then come back and re-check everything. I have a small rub mark on the pipe that goes into the fenderwell. It can move enough to rub up at the top; I'm just going to put a piece of foam pipe insulation over the area of the car where it rubs.

Hope this helps everyone,

Scott

Last edited by TommyP; 10-03-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:23 AM

Pictures would be good lol
Old 02-06-2009, 02:30 AM

Pics...!!!????
Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 PM

Yeah im finding it hard to fit the 90 degree elbow onto my piping. im going to boil somewater now on the stove and then place it in their after it's at it's hottest point.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 AM

I had the most trouble mounting the 90 degree elbow onto the throttle body. If I remember correctly, I mounted the elbow to the coupling first and then to the throttle body. Also, you can microwave a bowl of water and actually super-heat it past the boiling point, but great care must be taken to avoid SERIOUS burns.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:53 AM

wefrwt!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:54 AM

Exclamation Update Easiest Way To Install CAI

I didn't realize that people were still utilizing this post or I would have updated it sooner. I have since found a way that easiest of all to install the CAI.

Remove the passenger side headlight (two 10mm bolts) and then then the headlight mounting bracket (four 10mm bolts (two on top at back and two on bottom at front)). This will allow you to take the air filter in and out through the headlight area. It's really easy to put the filter onto the intake piping with this method.

Hope this is useful for everyone.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 AM

Wow thanks i was thinking about that last night, seeing that the headlight blocks one way to getting to the air filter didn't know if it would let me change the whole filter. Great discovery. GOod job.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltCoupeCrazy
I didn't realize that people were still utilizing this post or I would have updated it sooner. I have since found a way that easiest of all to install the CAI.

Remove the passenger side headlight (two 10mm bolts) and then then the headlight mounting bracket (four 10mm bolts (two on top at back and two on bottom at front)). This will allow you to take the air filter in and out through the headlight area. It's really easy to put the filter onto the intake piping with this method.

Hope this is useful for everyone.
will a 2.4 cobalt intake work on my 2.2 cobalt
Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by tuner81286
will a 2.4 cobalt intake work on my 2.2 cobalt
Yes it will.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 PM

Bump for some pics as I'll be installing an injen intake in a few days.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 AM

i did it twice once for my car and the other time for my buddies and i thought taking off the bumper was alot eaiser IMO
Old 04-05-2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by souprdog
i did it twice once for my car and the other time for my buddies and i thought taking off the bumper was alot eaiser IMO
Geez, really, you'd recommend bumper removal not only for initial installation but also for air filter maintenance?? No thanks!! The headlight and headlight bracket come right out with only six 10mm bolts (quick and easy).
Old 09-05-2009, 01:08 AM

bump install tomorrow
Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 PM

Sorry, I haven't been on the site in forever. Been real busy with all sorts of things. You can e-mail me at CS21211@aol.com with the subject "CAI Install" and I can reply. I don't do PM's on here.
Sorry for the absence.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:50 PM

2008 Cobalt SS CAI Injen install

Thank you ! for the "through the headlight" method, I did not want to take the whole front bumper off or wheel wells...

So thought I would provide my experience. I was using a K&N K&N 69-4518TTK for a few years and worked very well, but I was getting what I think amounted to vacuum leaks and was assuming through the plastic (why oh why plastic) nipple on that intake. I would get into a mode where I would start to lose power just cruising at highway speed or it would get into a mode where it would not get any boost (nothing above 0 psi). I sent several requests to K&N about a replacement nipple with no reply. So I got tired of battling with it and went with another option - Injen ( which I already had the charge pipes).

K&N has fantastic how to videos and information for installation. Injen has a printed step by step guide but has nothing on getting down into that lower bumper compartment in their install instructions = fail. There was also some interference I will highlight between the intake piping and some standard tubing in the engine compartment, opportunity for vibration and rubbing. The top rubber mount on the injen also needs some type of stop in it to prevent you screwing that mount screw right up into the rubber part of the mount.

Initial Setup

Plastic nipple on the K&N Filter takes the vent line

Welded on the Injen

Injen Parts

Couple bolts, pull out headlight

4 more bolts to remove headlight bracket

Air intake tube from stock air filter still in there.. getting that out was the hardest part of this install , little press fit automotive fitting on the back of it was hard to get to

Intake fitted up

Issues I found with Injen (K&N fit up was very tight and solid)