How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Wheels/Tires: How-To Outsmart your Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How-To Outsmart your Tire Pressure Monitoring System

My story first just to see if you are in the same boat at i was. I bought some cobalt wheels for my g5 had tires mounted. Put them on the car was driving and i never thought about it untill the TPMS light came on and I never had Sensors put in my new wheels. The sensor were still on my old wheels. So if your in the boat i am. Here's what i did to get around it without paying 50$ a peice to have new sensors put in the wheels.

__________________________________________________ _____________

WARNING!!!! This How-to contains pressurinzing an item not supposed to be pressurized. Be-carful, Also i did a lot of the work at work, and a lot of people thought i was building a bomb. so be aware. haha Also be aware that PVC pressure pipe can hold up to 330PSI so 30PSI isnt a whole lot of pressure.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Ease of Project: easy

Time: Took me a couple days just to let stuff sit and dry be paitient

Tools Needed:

1. Valve stem puller

2. Pipe Wrench

3. Saw (i used a ban-saw at work for a perfect straight cut)

4. Small TORX

5. Drill with 1/2" Bit (i think cant remeber which bit i used) pretty sure

6. Bicycle Pump

Supply's Your Will Need:

1. 4x2" PVC Pipe (non-pressure pipe is what i got)

2. 4" End Cap

3. 4" Fitted Screw-In Adapter

4. 4" Screw in Cap, to screw into #3

5. PVC Cement handi-pack(comes with primer and cement)

6. Teflon Sealant Tape

7. Four TMPS Valve Stems (NAPA Part# 92-0145)

Total Cost

Home Depot : 27.57
Napa(after my dads discount and the stems were on sale) 11.00

Total : 38.57 compared to 200 for new sensors.

__________________________________________________ __________

On to the work. No Pictures untill the end.

1. Cut 4" PVC pipe to desired length. I cut mine about 10"

2. Sand edges, get all the burs out.

3. Prime pipe, and end cap, and also the screw-in fitting

4. Cement the same as above, and Push on the end cap and the fitting, after you slid it all the way on try to turn it 90 degrees which i couldnt. Just gives it a better seal. Let it dry for a couple days just to be safe.

5. Next is Drilling 4 holes in the top of the Screw on cap. I do beilve they are 1/2 inch holes. Drill 4 holes one on each side of the Square. and Get all the Burs out

6. Putting new valve stems in the cap, You really need a valve stem puller or your just going to damage your new stems. make sure you turn your valve stem so the sensor will go on the right way, cuz its hard to turn it when its installed.

7. Hopfully you already got your old tires off cuz you'll need your sensors which are located on your valve stems. You'll need a small torq bit to take them off.

8. Next is installing your sensors on your valve stems. Your new valve stems should have came with new screws, the stems are not threaded so you will thread it yourself with the new screw, so just put the sensors on all 4 stems.

9. Teflon tape the crap out the end screw cap so it wont leak

10. Screw cap on as tight and as far as it will go. Pipe wrench works really nice!

11. Pump up your PVC pipe and check for leaks, shouldnt have any if you were paitient and did it right.lol

12. I pumped it up to 30PSI

13. SYNC the sensors to the car. Put keys into igntion turn to acc, Press unlock and lock at the same time on your remote. Horn will sound 2 times

14. the car starts with the LF, RF, LR, RR as you let air out the horn will beep a bunch of times syncing the sensors to your car. This is in your owners manual, so follow that

15. Pop your trunk and slip it next to your spare tire. and NO MORE LIGHT your all set to go!

16. Your just outsmarted your car computer. Good thing computers dont have common sence or this would not work. haha..

__________________________________________________ ____________

Now for the end result pics.

Everything Cemented Together

Valve stems installed on the screw cap

Pictures of Sensors installed on the valve stems

Screwing on the cap

Your bombs ready for lift off.. haha

Adding air, I do not suggest useing an air compressor due to the amount of air will go into it. Could blow up. Go slow with a bike pump with a guage

Before SNYC the sensors

AFter

Aviously the sensors arnt accurate cuz all the pressure should be exactly the same since there all under the same pressure.

In the trunk. Fits perfect

Who would ever KNOW?

I hope your dont get pulled over, and while the cops searching your car for drugs finds this and wonders what it is.haha.. Good luck.

I hope this how-to is useful, it worked for me and its nice now i can run any wheels and tires i want, without worrying about the sensors,

Good for people who run 2 sets of wheels, winter wheels and tires and ur stockers.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:27 AM

I'm just going to say it... After all the work wouldn't it have been more benificial to dismount and remount your tires? 7 dollars a tire for balancing?
But then again.. If they're that off then I'm not really sure it would be very benifitial.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:21 AM
RHZ

i was able to find sensors for 4 sensors for 75 bucks total online. They work great.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 AM

i'm so gonna do this when i get new wheels
Old 09-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Very smart, It will be nice to know when you pressure tank is leaking

Question. Do all of the sensors read the same pressure? I have always wondered if they have any major variations between the sensors themselves.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought 4 for $$50 BRAND NEW off Ebay. And yes they were original equipment GM with part numbers. There'e always sensors on Ebay. Where did you get the sensors for your contraption? This contraption is overkill.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 AM

if you look they first pic shows rf and lf at 31. the it shows rr and lr at 30 and 32 respectively... accurate enough to tell you if there is air in your tires... but not to tell you exactly

and using the old sensors you could have saved every penny... just saying

why would you take all that time and effort to do something like that?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 AM

i did this b/c i didnt think about the TPMS.. i was trying to avoid the hassle of taking brand new tires off the rim again and putting new vlave stems in and rebalancing them.

But i found somthing out, if you only drive 15miles everytime u drive this will work. But after more reseach this doesnt work. This is why.

After 15 or so miles of you driving, then sensors are not moving so they SHUT OFF to save battery. So in that case your light comes on and you lose all signal. So this is a big FAIL!.. so the sensors have to be rotating in the tire to keep the sensors on and sending signals.

so you can delete this how to, i thought i had it but i didnt
Old 09-18-2010, 12:57 PM

If nothing else you did find some very interesting and useful inormation. Thank's for that even if it was by accident.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan_Fehlman
i did this b/c i didnt think about the TPMS.. i was trying to avoid the hassle of taking brand new tires off the rim again and putting new vlave stems in and rebalancing them.

But i found somthing out, if you only drive 15miles everytime u drive this will work. But after more reseach this doesnt work. This is why.

After 15 or so miles of you driving, then sensors are not moving so they SHUT OFF to save battery. So in that case your light comes on and you lose all signal. So this is a big FAIL!.. so the sensors have to be rotating in the tire to keep the sensors on and sending signals.

damn... i was gettin excited till i read this... i've been lookin for a way to install these:

10x better than the factory TPMS crap... measures tire pressure a LOT more accurately.. also measures tire temp.. and has customizable alarms for over/under inflation.. as well as temp alarms.. but I cannot stand dash lights.. anyone wanna buy this from me? I guess I can't use it
Old 09-18-2010, 09:46 PM

the steps in the write up seems like a big headache that isnt worth a try...................buying new sensors would save u the time and money
Old 09-18-2010, 10:04 PM

i was too getting very excited until i read the sensor shutting itself part.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:26 PM

good job on the ingenuiy, too bad it didnt work out for ya.

woulda been a cooler story to tell the cops if they ever searched your car and found that!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 PM

yah it is ashame it didnt work out. I was getting soo pissed b/c it would work for about 15 miles then my light would come on.. i just didnt understand. but it all makes sence now.

sucks it fails, but i got the sensors in my wheels now 106 bucks to dismount, get new stems, re-balance, and lineup, since i put in new springs.

oh well thought, it was fun trying to outsmart it. but in the end the computer won.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 AM

Actually, since you created it, you can delete it yourself

It's a shame this didn't work....although this recent post seems promising vvvv

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-1...ml#post5658681
Old 05-11-2011, 07:33 AM

BUAHAHAHAHHA i can believe you actually went through with this im actually very impressed haha what a waste of time though lmfao i commend you my friend
Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 AM

unless you let it roll around in your trunk cabin while your driving. Then you'd be fine.