How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.0 LNF Engine: Intake Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake Fixes

My trifecta tune with the new boost tables started to make my cia sri intake elbow collapse. The following fixed that and the rubbing issues on the ac & coolant lines. So here it is:
NOTE: I took pics after I had re-installed the intake and because this works so well I decided to do this how to. So in the pics I used the a 90 degree bend on the cold side cp for demonstration purposes.

The Items I used:

8" long (approx) pre heater hose. This is a flexable 2" diameter aluminum tubing (kinda has slinky like properties.)

1 and 3/8" cool tape/ heat sheild tape note 3/4" tape would give you a "prettier finish"

and some tin snips you'll also need some sockets to remove the intake.

This is what preheater hose is: the tubing that attaches to the bottom side of the snorkel of this style of air cleaner:

The first issue I wanted to fix was the kink at the elbow and the rubbing issues. I ended up trimming 3/4" off of the end of silcone elbow that connects to the turbo. I took off a 1/2" it was still rubbing so I took off another 1/4" and this gave me the fitment I wanted. I would imagine this would vary for each elbow so trim a little at a time to check fitment.

Reinforcing the elbow to stop it from colapsing

Take a 6-8" length (not stretch out any) of the pre heater hose and split it open using tin snips.

Then open it up so it will slide over/around the elbow leaving the cut side facing up as in the photo:

To get good fitment you will need to remove a piece at the bend on each side
. once again start small and remove more as needed

It will look like this. LEAVE ABOUT 2" OF THE ELBOW EXPOSED SO YOU CAN CLAMP THE ELBOW TO THE TURBO PROPERLY AND WHERE THE INTAKE TUBING IS INSERTED I PUT THE PREHEATER HOSE UP TO WHERE THE BOTTOM OF THE INTAKE TUBING IS AFTER BEING INSERTED IN TO THE ELBOW (ABOUT 4").

On my intake I worked the preheater hose so the gaps from the relif cuts where filled in. In the photo I left them open. The exopsed part on top will not be covered by the preheater hose but will get covered with the cooltape.

Wrapping in cool tape: Wrap it snug, the tape secures everything together it does not have to be super tight, it plays a supporting roll. I only wrapped the tape around the preheater hose. NOT THE ENTIRE ELBOW AND I WOULD NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN COOL TAPE IT IS DESIGNED TO HANDLE THE HEAT AND WILL NOT STRETCH.

NOTE THE TAPE IN THE PHOTO IS NOT COOLTAPE DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY

Once it was wrapped I installed it:

Note the space between the ac lines

and the coolant line

The mounting tab in the intake

and some other pics

I hope this helps some people out! My next project air flow straightener.....

Last edited by TommyP; 10-03-2012 at 12:28 PM.