Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   How to Guide (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/)
-   -   2.4 LE5 Engine: Making The GMPP Intake Functional (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/making-gmpp-intake-functional-32532/)

LewiSS 09-17-2006 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by mken
I cringed when I saw the guy cutting the vinyl on your hood, computer cut vinyl would of been much better. I hope he used a REALLY sharp blade and a very light touch, otherwise you're going to have that outline cut into your paint.

Other than that, not bad looking. Although I would of eith covered the scoop with the same vinyl (of course he wouldn't of been able to do that installing the vinyl wet), or painted it blue to match the rest of the car.

He has an incredible touch. He has a 24 inch wide plotter-cutter and the programs to run it. However, no one has a template for the top of a Cobalt hood, and we decided trying to get it right with the cutter would be very experimental.

As for covering the scoop, that was my original intent when I thought I was going to buy a black scoop. He's done full wraps of such objects even with the wet apply technology, no problem. But when I found the carbon fiber look, I wanted that.

I'm not done. I plan to add some other carbon fiber accents so the scoop doesn't stand alone. That will help integrate it into the design.

HunterKiller89 09-18-2006 03:47 AM

There are a couple of posts about adding a fake scoop. Please feel free to do whatever you think looks the best on your car. The point of customizing is to get what you, the owner wants. I don't have a problem with an offset scoop. I grew up around inline 6 cylinder dragsters that did this, plus the Porsche 944 S and 924 Turbo, Mustang SVO and many others. To me it looks right. I have a real problem with non-functional scoops, and wouldn't consider adding one just for looks.
i'd say add one to the driver side and drill holes for that too...help keep the engine bay cool AND keep it symmetrical

R33P3R007 09-18-2006 10:00 AM

I like it. the stripes are a bit wide for me. but overall i think the car looks great. I may have drilled a 3rd hole to make the like < because it looks loike a third would fit.

:twothumbs

en0onmai 09-18-2006 01:33 PM

GREAT look and a nice how -to! I like it alot. The offset scoop to me shows its functionality and not like the SS hoods and such that are just for looks. Nice ride!

LewiSS 09-18-2006 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by en0onmai
GREAT look and a nice how -to! I like it alot. The offset scoop to me shows its functionality and not like the SS hoods and such that are just for looks. Nice ride!

Thanks, man!

An HHR driver! We could do some real retro drag stuff to that. Put a long boxy scoop on the right like the old stovebold six drag trucks! :lol:

I rent an HHR occasionally on business trips. Can't wait to see the SS version they're rumored to be building!

Listerman 09-18-2006 03:38 PM

nice work man. i like the scoop idea especially since its functional. i would have just placed my more towards the headlight but your car!

KEEP MODDING!

CTCOBALTSSS 09-18-2006 03:40 PM

I like the scoop, I like the placement of it and I like the functionality.
Good job all the way around. :twothumbs

LewiSS 09-18-2006 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
I like the scoop, I like the placement of it and I like the functionality.
Good job all the way around. :twothumbs

Thanks!

The holes were placed where they had to be functionally, which pretty much located the scoop fore-and-aft (within about 2-3 inches). They do make that scoop in a longer version which would have placed the intake much closer to the front of the hood. It's probably a matter of taste. If I had been able to test-fit both scoop sizes (3, actually - it comes in 3 sizes) at a local parts house prior to the job, who knows which way it would have went? But i didn't find any in the Denver metro, and had to order one based on a tape measure and imagination.

denniss 09-21-2006 07:32 AM

Nice job, I like it. I think the offset scoop is cool. It makes it look more functional instead of just style, if that makes any sense. instead of covering the top of the box, why not get a couple of 2" rubber body plus and just stick them in the holes if you see a need?
Dennis

LewiSS 09-21-2006 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by denniss
Nice job, I like it. I think the offset scoop is cool. It makes it look more functional instead of just style, if that makes any sense. instead of covering the top of the box, why not get a couple of 2" rubber body plus and just stick them in the holes if you see a need?
Dennis

Not a bad idea on the plugs, unless I end up cutting out the area between the holes. I'll hit the local hardware store and see if there might be a quick-remove plug for a 2 inch hole. That would be easier to put in and take out than a body plug.

-J-

D4u2s0t 10-12-2006 05:00 PM

i have to say it's very innovative, and looks like you put a lot of time into it... not something i would do, but i can respect the work that was put into it...

06Pursuit 10-14-2006 02:05 PM

looks friggin sweet. I love offset scoops! I don't think i have the balls to drill 2 holes in my hood though lol. Nice work.

BlkSS4dr 10-14-2006 02:25 PM

I like it alot....Its your car and you can do what you want to it...FTW..Us 4 doors have to stick together

Switt23 10-16-2006 11:12 AM

You mentioned adding more carbon fiber to the front, maybe a bowtie would help even it out a little? I like it overall, looks good! Although something about stick on scoops has always urked me.

LewiSS 10-16-2006 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Switt23
You mentioned adding more carbon fiber to the front, maybe a bowtie would help even it out a little? I like it overall, looks good! Although something about stick on scoops has always urked me.

I prefer molded-in scoops, but this approach was cost effective. My "stick-on" scoop is also riveted. You can see them up close, and they give it a bit of a "racer" look. I also did the scoop flange in silver to help it blend in, but I still don't like the "add-on" look either.

-J-

xspyder85x 10-20-2006 04:13 AM

wow how did i miss this thread?? good job man, not my cup of tea but you did it well. what did the whole project set you back?

LewiSS 10-20-2006 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by xspyder85x
wow how did i miss this thread?? good job man, not my cup of tea but you did it well. what did the whole project set you back?

The intake is selling for about $275 (discounted from $325 retail), I believe (mine was a gift from my son-in-law).

The hood scoop was about $100 - I had to buy a pair and only used the one. The local shop charged $125 for the vinyl work, very cost effective and every bit as nice as paint if not better. I've spent about $10 on weather stripping for the hood to get a good seal (I've changed it since the install - new pics to come). I had to buy a cutter for the holes since I didn't have a 2 inch steel cutter. That was about $15. So about $250 total, plus the intake.

I have an SS hood blanket on order. I will use the old one to experiment on to find a good way to cut the blanket and seal the resulting edge. The tape I used looks real amateur, not my usual quality. I'll amend the post with pics of that once we figure out the best approach (staples? sewing? heat sealing?).

So far it works excellent and is not prone to taking in water in the rain.

Next project under the hood will be to remove the cam cover and polish it so it matches the intake pipe. I'll try to do a "how-to" of that, too.

an0malous 11-02-2006 06:26 PM

mad props to have the nuts to take a dremel to your hood.

Dont listen to the "everything is rice" crowd.

Rice would have been sticking that scoop on the middle of your hood and calling it done.

You moved it to a point where it made sense and did everything you could to help its true functionality, then made it fit in with the car.

Im impressed.

Great result. and great attention to detail.

LewiSS 11-03-2006 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by an0malous
mad props to have the nuts to take a dremel to your hood.

Dont listen to the "everything is rice" crowd.

Rice would have been sticking that scoop on the middle of your hood and calling it done.

You moved it to a point where it made sense and did everything you could to help its true functionality, then made it fit in with the car.

Im impressed.

Great result. and great attention to detail.

Thanks! More than one person has suggested putting the mirror image scoop on the other side. To me that would definitely be rice, since it would, what, cool the electrical box? :lol:

Personally I like the look of an offset scoop when it's functional. One comment was that in fact being offset made it LOOK functional since it isn't there just for looks (i.e., centered), and is over the intake. I agree.

red_wing_2121 11-18-2006 09:56 PM

I would save the money to have a body shop mold the scoop into the hood.

LewiSS 11-18-2006 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by red_wing_2121
I would save the money to have a body shop mold the scoop into the hood.

For me, if I were going to spend that kind of money I'd buy the RK Sport hood and have it painted. Probably the same price for their fiberglass hood as having a scoop molded in, what with today's labor prices.

If the RK Sport hood came in CF, I would be tempted to buy one and leave it unpainted.

If I were to mold in a scoop, I'd probably use a different design than the one I used, although the shape of it has certainly grown on me since I finished it.

But everyone has their own preferences...

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

xxdarkbladexx 11-20-2006 12:45 AM

Maybe someone should photoshop with one on the other side..It probably wouldn't look all that great.

06BlackSSNA 05-09-2007 11:43 PM

Looks good man. Ive actually been doing some thinking. Looking at creating my custom intake. Dont have some sketches but i dont have a functinal camera:thumbsdow I wanted to post them to see what u think but since i cant ill just describe it best i can. Off the 2.4 if your facing the intake from the front of the car it would come out and bend twords the driver side. Once you have 4ish inches the pipe would actually cut back twords the engine. Making my filter facing the engine. That way the intake is centered cause i want to put a scoop in the center of my hood. Any suggestions or serious disagreements i would love to hear. Ive taken the over sized engine cover off and i know i have the room clearance. Just curious on any ideas that might help. Was actually thinking about running the intake at about a 15 degree upwards tilt to be as close to the scoop holes as possible but im not sure. Thanks

LewiSS 05-10-2007 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 06BlackSSNA (Post 1036696)
Looks good man. Ive actually been doing some thinking. Looking at creating my custom intake. Dont have some sketches but i dont have a functinal camera:thumbsdow I wanted to post them to see what u think but since i cant ill just describe it best i can. Off the 2.4 if your facing the intake from the front of the car it would come out and bend twords the driver side. Once you have 4ish inches the pipe would actually cut back twords the engine. Making my filter facing the engine. That way the intake is centered cause i want to put a scoop in the center of my hood. Any suggestions or serious disagreements i would love to hear. Ive taken the over sized engine cover off and i know i have the room clearance. Just curious on any ideas that might help. Was actually thinking about running the intake at about a 15 degree upwards tilt to be as close to the scoop holes as possible but im not sure. Thanks

I like your idea, but it sounds like the air cleaner would be tied to the engine. The only trouble there is getting it to seal to the hood, since the engine moves. What I wanted to do was take the intake up over the engine and mount a shaker scoop on top of the valve cover. Then cut a hole in the hood the shaker scoop would stick through. The scoop would be centered, and would move with the engine (thus the "shaker" designation). The recent (2005?) Mach 1 Mustang had one, and a few '70's muscke cars had them.

06BlackSSNA 05-11-2007 01:14 AM

Not a bad idea. If i get a short enough filter i believe it wouldnt be to close to the engine. I was run the pipe as close to the front of the car as possible then turn twords the engine. Immediatly stopping and then you have filter. Sitting here though i just though about. Ruinning the pipe along the front of the par parrallel. Taking twords the driver side a bit more then headed twords the engine. Then cut back twords the passenger side. Making the intake not actually facing the engine. If this doesnt make since, im sorry. I've been drinking a bit tonight.