Mid East MI, IN, OH, KY, WV, and VA

Fellow Michiganers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Yeah there are a great dealer they will warrenty everything on my car even with all the modds i have and i bought the 7 year extended warrenty with it from them
Well thats because of the federal law that was emposed about 6 months or so ago. Its against the law now for any dealer ship to void the warrenty unless they can prove that the mod done to the car caused the malfunction.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
Well thats because of the federal law that was emposed about 6 months or so ago. Its against the law now for any dealer ship to void the warrenty unless they can prove that the mod done to the car caused the malfunction.
Yeah true but they also threw in 1 step colder NGK plugs for free for me when i had my stage 2 installed cause they say it should be done and i only paid 250 for the install and reflash
Old 05-09-2007, 11:29 PM

Thats a hell of a deal. I couldnt get any of the dealers here to hook me up with a deal on the engine work i had done. The cheapest chevy dealer was $90 per hour plus 150 base charge just for touching the engine. So i went to a performance shop that charged me 900 to break down and rebuild the engine plus 900 to pull the motor and put it back in. That price also inclued all engine fluids, acid bath for the engine block, 3 angle valve job on the head, and a cometic head gasket and head studs.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 PM

Thats a hell of a deal. I couldnt get any of the dealers here to hook me up with a deal on the engine work i had done. The cheapest chevy dealer was $90 per hour plus 150 base charge just for touching the engine. So i went to a performance shop that charged me 900 to break down and rebuild the engine plus 900 to pull the motor and put it back in. That price also inclued all engine fluids, acid bath for the engine block, 3 angle valve job on the head, and a cometic head gasket and head studs.
So what they rebuilt the whole motor?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 PM

So what they rebuilt the whole motor?
Yeah, I bought some forged pistons, forged rods, valves designed for nitrous and turbo aplications, better valve springs and comp cams stage 1 that take my engines new red line to 9000. But the factory crank isnt good for that high of rpms. Once tuning comes out ill be putting a turbo on my car with 22lbs of boost and setting the rev limiter to 7500 rpms. a buddy of mine already has a turbo on his 2.2L cobalt but he runs with a piggy back fuel system and hasnt upgraded is internals. he only runs on 8lbs of boost and is putting down 212 whp
Old 05-09-2007, 11:43 PM

Yeah, I bought some forged pistons, forged rods, valves designed for nitrous and turbo aplications, better valve springs and comp cams stage 1 that take my engines new red line to 9000. But the factory crank isnt good for that high of rpms. Once tuning comes out ill be putting a turbo on my car with 22lbs of boost and setting the rev limiter to 7500 rpms. a buddy of mine already has a turbo on his 2.2L cobalt but he runs with a piggy back fuel system and hasnt upgraded is internals. he only runs on 8lbs of boost and is putting down 212 whp
Did you see TNT autosports newest thread they have the twincharger coming out i think i am going that way
Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 AM

Did you see TNT autosports newest thread they have the twincharger coming out i think i am going that way
i dont know about boosting a supercharger. have no idea how that will work. but i do know that someone is working on a twin screw supercharger for you guys. forgot who it was, i think it was TAG. dont really know what ever came of it. I've just been following GM's build guide for the 2.2L ecotec cobalt LS's. It shows you how to take the car from stock to 250hp for one group, 250 to 300hp, 300 to 400hp, 400 to 600hp, 600 to 1000hp, and 1000 to 1400hp. It gets crazy expensive to take the car up over 500hp. I already have my engine built to handle 500hp, just waiting on a tune so that i can put it down with a turbo.

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 05-10-2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i'll just call you out on one of the many issues and misrepresentations that you just posted...

this is the most obvious of the bunch, how do you plan on setting your rev-limit to 9k?

the issue of will or will not the motor hold up isnt the issue at that RPM
Old 05-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 06black
well i'll just call you out on one of the many issues and misrepresentations that you just posted...

this is the most obvious of the bunch, how do you plan on setting your rev-limit to 9k?

the issue of will or will not the motor hold up isnt the issue at that RPM
i think you need to re read my post. it clearly states WHEN TUNING COMES OUT ill be changing my rev limiter to 7500 rpms since the factory crank can not hold up to past 8000 rpms, that is also stated in the GM build guide. And second of all if you research the parts i have installed, they clearly claim the valve train redline is 9000 rpms, i not one time said that i was going to change the rev limiter to 9000. you better re read that post.

i hate it when people think they are calling someone out on something when they clearly did not read the post properly
Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 PM

well what 06Black is saying is that, if u did try to go to 9k with ur revs, you couldnt becausethe stock PCM wont let u put the revs past 8195. not that your motor cant handle it, its because the computer wont let you. thats what he's saying
Old 05-10-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by nich7601
picking my SS/SC up Saturday, work in Madison heights, live in Troy. PM me if you're interested in meeting up!
I work in Madison Heights as well. Where do you work at...maybe we can get together for lunch sometime or somethin.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Killa SS
well what 06Black is saying is that, if u did try to go to 9k with ur revs, you couldnt becausethe stock PCM wont let u put the revs past 8195. not that your motor cant handle it, its because the computer wont let you. thats what he's saying
lol yup!!!

i hate when people think they are correct when clearly they have no CLUE of whats going on.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:29 PM

Yea, but some ppl are just too stubborn to realize THERE WRONG!! HAHAHA
Old 05-10-2007, 07:25 PM

either way, i still said i would set the rev limiter to 7500 when tunning comes out. so it doesn't matter. he still put words in my mouth by saying i was going to set my rev limiter to 9k. i said 7500 was what i was going to set it at

just be prepaired to have your ss/sc ass handed to you by an ls boosted by 22 or more psi turbo

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 05-10-2007 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-10-2007, 09:38 PM

either way, i still said i would set the rev limiter to 7500 when tunning comes out. so it doesn't matter. he still put words in my mouth by saying i was going to set my rev limiter to 9k. i said 7500 was what i was going to set it at

just be prepaired to have your ss/sc ass handed to you by an ls boosted by 22 or more psi turbo
muwhahah thats rich kid.

heres a direct quote of yours stating a proposed 9k rev limit

"Yeah, I bought some forged pistons, forged rods, valves designed for nitrous and turbo aplications, better valve springs and comp cams stage 1 that take my engines new red line to 9000"

and now for your death sentence, I will quote you again...."just be prepaired to have your ss/sc ass handed to you by an ls boosted by 22 or more psi turbo"

no while your waiting for tuning, my project will be done.

no Mr.know-nothing...have you mapped any turbos out? do you know what your engines VE, PR, or flow rate is? (in eather CFM or lb/min) i'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess................

NO WAY, you have allot to learn on how to pick the proper turbo for your application, engine characteristics, ect.

ohhhh, here some more info for ya.....have fun waiting and wishing you knew what to do in order to make a educated and correct pick on a turbo and for tuning.

heres a few pics of mine.....

Old 05-11-2007, 01:47 AM

"Yeah, I bought some forged pistons, forged rods, valves designed for nitrous and turbo aplications, better valve springs and comp cams stage 1 that take my engines new red line to 9000"

now you got it right. that still doesnt say that is what im setting the revlimiter to. that just says thats what the new engine redline would be. but since you say the computer wont let it go past 8 even with a tune, i want to know how you know that since there is no tune for the 05-06 bases yet. the engine will still be capeable of having that 9k rpm, it just wont get there if what you say is true. Even if a tune did allow that to happen my factory crank wont be able to take that kind of rpms anyway

and now for your death sentence, I will quote you again...."just be prepaired to have your ss/sc ass handed to you by an ls boosted by 22 or more psi turbo"

ok, if i knew you were doing a turbo swap unlike some of the other SS/SC's and just settling with the stage 2 GM upgrades and some others sitting on the stage 5.

no Mr.know-nothing...have you mapped any turbos out? do you know what your engines VE, PR, or flow rate is? (in eather CFM or lb/min) i'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess................

NO WAY, you have allot to learn on how to pick the proper turbo for your application, engine characteristics, ect.

ohhhh, here some more info for ya.....have fun waiting and wishing you knew what to do in order to make a educated and correct pick on a turbo and for tuning.

nope, i have no clue as to what ill be picking out. i'll leave that up to the pro's to do that part and ill just buy a kit and most likely from Hahn.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:13 AM

now you got it right. that still doesnt say that is what im setting the revlimiter to. that just says thats what the new engine redline would be. but since you say the computer wont let it go past 8 even with a tune, i want to know how you know that since there is no tune for the 05-06 bases yet. the engine will still be capeable of having that 9k rpm, it just wont get there if what you say is true. Even if a tune did allow that to happen my factory crank wont be able to take that kind of rpms anyway

ok, if i knew you were doing a turbo swap unlike some of the other SS/SC's and just settling with the stage 2 GM upgrades and some others sitting on the stage 5.

nope, i have no clue as to what ill be picking out. i'll leave that up to the pro's to do that part and ill just buy a kit and most likely from Hahn.
wow, Hahn huh...you must like to wait!!!
hell there TwinC kit was released mounths ago and still no kits have been sold.

might a recomend going with a garrett kit, there out, and they kinda fit OK.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:16 PM

lol, war Between the fellow cobalt owners/performance guys. it doesnt matter whos doin wut or anything. But i think 06Black would agree with me in sayin, you might wanna look intoall the tuning and turbos and such. maybe you might be able to save ur self some cash. Like alot of cash, if you just put ur kit together youself.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 PM

you can race me if you want im not even going turbo and i'll still hand you ur ass
Old 05-12-2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
you can race me if you want im not even going turbo and i'll still hand you ur ass
it will be a while. i dont know crap about choosing the right turbo and such. all i know is that i want a turbo capeable of producing 35psi. not that im going to boost that high i just want some where around 22psi, spolled as quickly as posable
Old 05-13-2007, 01:32 AM

that was an ass-hat line.

it will be a while. i dont know crap about choosing the right turbo and such. all i know is that i want a turbo capeable of producing 35psi. not that im going to boost that high i just want some where around 22psi, spolled as quickly as posable

well wanting a turbo that will make that amount of PSI is semi-retarded idea, a turbo capable of making that kinda PR in the system is going to be HUGE, like holset turbo diesel turbo size.

you don't want a turbo like that if your worried about spool times.

22psi can be made on just about any turbo, but hell any turbo can make any amount of boost if you spin it fast enough and have enough back pressure in your cold side intake but thats what were trying to avoid here.

don't shoot for a PSI goal...shoot for an HP number and then you can figure your other needed variables from there.

Last edited by 06black; 05-13-2007 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-13-2007, 01:39 AM

don't really care what you think i just hate how everyone thinks that going turbo will solve all there problems and make them fast.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:43 PM

dude! my electric turbo boosts to 5 psi dawg its HAWT!!! it only moves 25cfm but its at 5 lbs dawg! im happy with my nitroused heat pump
Old 05-14-2007, 12:03 AM

don't really care what you think i just hate how everyone thinks that going turbo will solve all there problems and make them fast.
going turbo is not a solution, it simply provides a new equation in which going faster is the hopeful end result.

no need to get pissy with the "race me" lines and such, because just like many times in the past i'll bury yet another cobalt owner with proper facts and information....i dont think you want to go down that road.

on that note....this thread is way off topic and the rest of this sidetracked conversation can carried out VIA PM if need be.

Originally Posted by 1fstss
dude! my electric turbo boosts to 5 psi dawg its HAWT!!! it only moves 25cfm but its at 5 lbs dawg! im happy with my nitroused heat pump
WARD DOG!

whens the engine tear down happen donny?

Last edited by 06black; 05-14-2007 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2007, 12:04 AM

man, everyone has there own opinoins on wut they like and want to do with a car. arguing with others about that stuff isnt gonna really change nothing. jsut create a conflict between friends strangers and everybody else. we all love our cars, we love to mod and take care of it. to each his own and be happy. jsut talk to ppl, sure they might not liek the idea. but not everybody thinks alike.

Quick Reply: Fellow Michiganers!