New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

Hey everyone! New here

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey everyone! New here

Hello! I've owned my 2007 cobalt for a little over a year now, decided it was time for me to join! Still all stock but I'm hoping to change that this year!

The following users liked this post:
steelmesh (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 08:19 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Very nice and welcome. Time for a TVS
Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 AM

Thanks! I was thinking about starting small first, a TVS is a little out of the budget right now lol. I can't decide if I want to stay supercharged down the road or go with a turbo
Old 04-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Welcome!
Old 04-26-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Khaotic_red_ss
Thanks! I was thinking about starting small first, a TVS is a little out of the budget right now lol. I can't decide if I want to stay supercharged down the road or go with a turbo
If you want to go turbo I would just save up and do that all at once because many parts you'd buy to go faster with stock supercharger won't be ideal or even work with the turbo.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Welcome!
Old 04-26-2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
If you want to go turbo I would just save up and do that all at once because many parts you'd buy to go faster with stock supercharger won't be ideal or even work with the turbo.
That's my dilemma, as of right now, I'm very unsure of my goals. I'm about as beginner/novice as you can get.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:19 PM

I'll tell you that once you get bit by the mooar powa bug the M62 will get boring quick. If you can contain yourself you could throw on a smaller pulley and bigger injectors get a tune and call it a day. Do you ever want to have to run Premium fuel or E85 now or down the road? There's also water/methanol injection that will let you get away without cooling mods a smaller pulley.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:54 PM
Slobodan Milošević

Received 215 Likes on 175 Posts
Welcome!
Old 04-26-2019, 05:33 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Welcome man, very clean ss/sc. Like jdbaugh1 said, if you wanna go turbo one day its best to just save for it now. It also depends on what power level you would like to eventually settle on.
If you wanna stay on a low budget but go a lil faster people sell their old stage kits and parts doing turbo swaps so you could grab some mods fairly cheap.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:11 PM

I'll tell you that once you get bit by the mooar powa bug the M62 will get boring quick. If you can contain yourself you could throw on a smaller pulley and bigger injectors get a tune and call it a day. Do you ever want to have to run Premium fuel or E85 now or down the road? There's also water/methanol injection that will let you get away without cooling mods a smaller pulley.

I've been pondering e85 and a smaller pulley for the moment. I enjoy going faster but I'm by no means in a hurry to go for max numbers. I want to take this slow and learn as I go little by little.

Originally Posted by Kolt
Welcome man, very clean ss/sc. Like jdbaugh1 said, if you wanna go turbo one day its best to just save for it now. It also depends on what power level you would like to eventually settle on.
If you wanna stay on a low budget but go a lil faster people sell their old stage kits and parts doing turbo swaps so you could grab some mods fairly cheap.
Thank you! I think eventually I would like to see what kind of numbers I can get out of it, but right now I feel like if I take it slow it'll help me learn more? If that makes sense. I live in the middle of a cornfield basically and none of my friends are car people. All solo for me!
Old 04-26-2019, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Khaotic_red_ss
Thank you! I think eventually I would like to see what kind of numbers I can get out of it, but right now I feel like if I take it slow it'll help me learn more? If that makes sense. I live in the middle of a cornfield basically and none of my friends are car people. All solo for me!
Sounds like you are pretty much in the same boat as me. I'm all for taking this kind of project head on and learning as you go but also recommend buy-once/cry-once. At the very least spend some time to think about and try to settle your potential route moving forward and only buy parts that you can expand on. Like if you think you may run E85 one day you will want to buy larger injectors. They will be more challenging to get your car to idle correctly because they dump so much fuel but you won't have to buy injectors twice that way. If you plan on going turbo at some point and get an exhaust I would only spend money on exhaust further downstream than your CAT because a turbo will require a different header/downpipe. Basically just buy parts that will be friendly to future expansion so you don't have to buy them twice or buy performance parts that you won't be able to use later on.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:27 PM

Sounds like you are pretty much in the same boat as me. I'm all for taking this kind of project head on and learning as you go but also recommend buy-once/cry-once. At the very least spend some time to think about and try to settle your potential route moving forward and only buy parts that you can expand on. Like if you think you may run E85 one day you will want to buy larger injectors. They will be more challenging to get your car to idle correctly because they dump so much fuel but you won't have to buy injectors twice that way. If you plan on going turbo at some point and get an exhaust I would only spend money on exhaust further downstream than your CAT because a turbo will require a different header/downpipe. Basically just buy parts that will be friendly to future expansion so you don't have to buy them twice or buy performance parts that you won't be able to use later on.
This is why I'm over a year into ownership and haven't done anything lol! I actually have the midlength header/downpipe from zzp because the stock DP was rusted and broken completely through when I purchased the car. But I never really considered it as much of a mod since I bought it more to fix rather than planning ahead for more hp.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:40 PM

Same reason I bought my downpipe was when my flex section broke out but I ended up having to buy another downpipe when I put on long tubes. You are at the right place though we can help you go as mild or crazy as you want. Just letting you know it is easy to get carried away. I have a base model and I started with an M62 supercharger kit. That snowballed and now the only part I have left from the original engine is the crank. I would have saved money if I would have went all in at once. But my car is my toy/hobby and I look at it as a learning experience that has some value as well.