New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

Howdy!

Old 11-03-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Howdy!

Oclaf here, fingered i would join up, have an 06 that if i wasnt a mechanic by nature, this car would be in the scrap pile somewhere. was fun car when new, still not bad, dropped to 16" wheels due to tire cost. its been repainted and still looks cool. all in all, the car has worked out, but one of GM's disasters only eclipsed by them now being Government Motors. Unfortunately its in my blood, GM...will post up a picture when i find time....
Old 11-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
06 SS, 2.4 or base? And do you really have that much trouble with the car? Are you initial owner? I have had my base 06 Cobalt since 2007 when it had 15,000 miles on it and is now at 102,000 miles. Most of it's life it has been driven hard with only CAI and cat-back exhaust. The only time I ever had to take it to the shop was for the recalls. Always ran synthetic and changed at low intervals and even the famous timing chain tensioner didn't give me any issue. But I always see people complaining about all the problems they have with these cars and I always wonder if it was a maintenance/driver issue or if I just got really lucky with mine.

But other than that welcome to the forums! Look forward to seeing some pictures of your ride.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool issues

its an SS, 2,4 litre...everything but the supercharger and sunroof, the cool small spoiler, not the gaudy one that some 'sport'...the car has had more recalls to fix things, the key stuck in ignition was worse one. fuel, steering, lost track. my ex bought it new, and it ran great but once things went south, as i said, i could fix whatever breaks. recently bought it from here as it was sitting a few months, but for the last five years or so, hard shifting, no emission passing in Maricopa so i registered it in another county...but i just replaced cam sensors, O2 sensors, thermostat sensor, etc and all lights went out...drives smooth, still get an occassional ABS light. the brakes would shimmy, so everytime i replaced them it would be fine. i bought premium rotors, pads, and it was fine then started again but damage was/is done. replaced steering column, helps but still a bit of a shake still. hoping new suspension parts work. has about 175k on the clock. drivers door issue now, wont open, attacking that this morning, supposedly can 'beat on door' and it may open, if not, take off door panel, will be a pain. i have a serious oil leak that comes when parked. not up top nor obvious underneath, above starter, which was replaced. the DIC doesnt function with buttons, i have the miles and whatever on now, wont 'scroll', may replace the unit next. have to find it. my opinion on yours, you are a very lucky person, no one i know never experienced problems, and you didnt mention recalls, they are for all cars, not ones with problems. i still smell fuel when i top it off and park, if i fill and drive and its not topped, i dont smell fuel. so whatever the fix was on that, well...you also dont see many on the road...the ones i do, i bet are low mileage. its a neat car, lot of promise, but its an example of 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' as the engineer(s) who created this car, all new btw, should be shot, they ripped GM off...gave em a black eye, they quit making the car it was so bad. unlike the general public, i dont carry car notes, once i pay a car off i keep it for as long as i can, i have an 05 Silverado, 184k on it, both maintained by me, i use synthetics, and keep the maintenance up on all things, i even fix little things, i like a nice car, doesnt have to be new to be nice and imo, all cars look the same almost anymore, trucks too, and all run the same. i am old enough to remember when an SS or whatever sport model by different manufacturers would run away from the 'stock' cars, now all things are computer controlled and gearing is premium...good for equal outcome in fuel useage and control, but only real racecars run like raped apes anymore. need to go beat door, hope i said enough, long ramble...coffee kicking in now, good thing huh? laters....

Oclaf

Search this Thread