New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

Need advise before I buy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advise before I buy.

Wife and I test drove a 2010 cobalt ss today down in Oklahoma. Current owner didn't know much and was selling it since his wife didn't want a manual trans. I've been looking on and off for about 6 months now. So I have been doing some research on the forums. I am pretty much mechanically inclined and I do my own work. That being said here is what the owner said about the car. Downpipe, k&n SRI intake and filter. New tires. And he said it had the GM stage 1 tune. Stock charge pipes and intercooler. I looked underneath and could see a straight pipe from the downpipe to about even with back of the front seats. Then it had the stock muffler or resonator with the tip on it right underneath the trunk area. He said it had the GMS1 but then he said he downloaded a HP tune and installed it. It drove great, pulled hard and idled fine.

A few questions I have. Does any tune require upgrading the bar map sensors. From my description does the exhaust sound stock other than the downpipe. Last one. When we drove it hard and let off the gas, you could here what sounded like a BOV. I didn't see a BOV but is the sound we heard normal. Sometimes when we revved the engine hard, the turbo also sounded like it was making a pulsing air sound like a valve opening and closing really fast. This pulsing sound was like at full boost and not all the time. Again is this normal.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
For gms1 yes I should have upgraded map sensors they should be blue. One will be on the intake mani the other on the cold side chargepipe. The sound your explaining is really common once you install the Sri intake