New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

New member.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
Welcome to the forum.

Having read all of the differing opinions in this thread I will start off agreeing with the statement that if you're wanting a V8 RWD drag car then perhaps start with a different platform. Unless you have the skills to do the majority of the fabs skills (and there are several here who do) then this isn't the car to stat with. As mentioned the transmission/driveshaft tunnel and the rear-end placement are some of the issues you facing doing such a project but they are by no means the only issues that you will face. First you need to set your sites on how fast you want to run the 1/4 mile because it is from there that you start building. Unless you know exactly where you want to end up there is no way to map out the plan needed to get there.
it's only a fun car no professional driving. Just a build as you go type thing. As far as platform I'm using the delta because it sits in my yard and blown motor. Means no buying extra stuff. Sorceing the rear end subframe is easy as I can get 240 parts miata parts mustang parts ECT. Got friends with them lying around.I have the skills to do it along with a Tahoe that has the power plant. I mean I could be like everyone else and build a ls 240 or miata or I could build a promod with a plastic body but I'd rather a real built not bought car.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:38 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by m62cavi
…. I could build a promod with a plastic body but I'd rather a real built not bought car.
Oh I understand the desire to have a 'real built car' over a pro-mod car as the pro-mod body is just a resemblance of a real Cobalt. Having the doors open and the lights turn on as well as a VIN # to street the car is something that doesn't often happen. I would just re-iterate pick your ET or your HP goals so you chose all the right parts the first time. Having to change/upgrade parts along the way gets costly and sadly I can tell you that information comes from experience.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
Oh I understand the desire to have a 'real built car' over a pro-mod car as the pro-mod body is just a resemblance of a real Cobalt. Having the doors open and the lights turn on as well as a VIN # to street the car is something that doesn't often happen. I would just re-iterate pick your ET or your HP goals so you chose all the right parts the first time. Having to change/upgrade parts along the way gets costly and sadly I can tell you that information comes from experience.
Yeah believe me I know. But I'm not looking for a 1000hp of rip. Its like my cavi. For neck of the woods it's mostly 13 second Honda's. So when my cavi beats everything no point in upgrading. Not looking to really grudge race it but more so have some friendly competition with my buddy's. That's also why I'm choosing the 5.3 platform. I can put a 5.3 into the 10s without getting into it. And it would be a cool streetcar as it's the 4 door base model. And our flashlight runs really don't have times you know.