New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

New member considering a SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member considering a SS

Hi, I'm looking to get a daily driver and am considering a cobalt ss. I am researching the differences between the SC and the TC, trying to decide which will be better as far as reliability and MPG. I have a Firebird Formula for my "toy" car, so I'm not too worried about the power difference between the two.

How do these cars get around in the winter, and what are the common issues with them/what should I look out for when looking at buying one? Any input or recommendations would be great!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They both have their perks, I'd normally recommend the SS/TC but it depends on budget, best way to ask about a specific one is to post a link to it.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a sc one and I love it it's fun only bolt ons for now but i enjoy driving it everyday I average 28 country road driving and highway I get 29. I just think gm put more time into the tc the suspension is better, interior(seats) , and more hp stock. But buying anything used is hit or miss really. Test drive both of them unlike me I just drove the sc and fell in love instantly
Old 05-06-2014, 01:26 AM

If you really don't have a budget... there is absolutely no reason to look at the SC's.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to Cobalt land, Once you enter there's no escape.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 288 Likes on 266 Posts
Herro
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM

We're glad to have you on the forum Zmaro! Hopefully you'll get some helpful advice from other members to assist in your decision making. Once you decide on which Cobalt you want, feel free to send us your VIN and we can provide you with your vehicle build sheet. Good luck!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-06-2014, 02:41 PM

Welcome and Hello!

I own a 2009 SS/TC as my daily driver and it's incredible fun! If you want good gas mileage it's difficult due to constantly wanting to put your foot down on the loud pedal (Especially with a BoV or a CAI). I've never had a single problem with mine other than gas mileage and that's due to my own fault lol. Simple car to modify. Easy car to beat unsuspecting victims with. I recommend one! I got mine on the 31st of December 2012 for 14.5k at 20k miles, should be able to find them for under that easy though.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
I had a 2006 sc with 131000 miles on it when I traded it for my 2010 tc. The only thing I did to that was oil changes and a spark plug change.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

welcome!!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:17 PM

Don't buy the SC. it's a waste of money. Sucks on gas and poor power output. Get the TC. I hate my car. I had it for a few months and the engine blew. Not my fault, I just drove the p.o.s. New gm crate motor for 5k and still hate the car lol. Get the TC and you'll be happy.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by REDi DEViSTATOR
Don't buy the SC. it's a waste of money. Sucks on gas and poor power output. Get the TC. I hate my car. I had it for a few months and the engine blew. Not my fault, I just drove the p.o.s. New gm crate motor for 5k and still hate the car lol. Get the TC and you'll be happy.
Sounds like you got a lemon man that's not cool at all. When I first got mine it was one thing after another but luckily thugs have been goog smooth. But depends he might like the power band of the supercharger
Old 05-06-2014, 05:49 PM

He can buy mine lol. All new goodies and ready for more "power" 7k.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 PM

I get 33 mpg in the city and 35 on the highway.. I'd still say go with a TC especially if you aren't going to do anything to it
Old 05-06-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by steveobed
I get 33 mpg in the city and 35 on the highway.. I'd still say go with a TC especially if you aren't going to do anything to it

Lucky few lsj ' s that get mpg's that good. Most are between 25 and 28.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:59 PM

I shift at 2k most of the time.. I think the stage kit helped a lot too though. When I first put it on I was getting 36 city
Old 05-07-2014, 12:07 AM

Take a tc and don't look back!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 AM

I have 05 SC. It gets 34 miles per gal on average, so the system says.. bypass helps. Though, I should think the TC has better MPG. I don't really have experience, as my work is only 15 minutes away. I fill up every 2 weeks. On my trip from Ohio to South Carolina I filled up before I left and once on the way there. No WOT, of course. With bypass, it seems like just another 2.0 L 4 banger... Up to you I suppose... Preference in the end, you want SC or TC. I mean the later the year, the better the engine. So, I guess TC would be the best bang for your buck. Not to mention repair costs. I have already replaced cat, all suspension, transmission sensor, etc... Also, in winter the instant power tends to burn up the tires; rev, rev, rev, go... Tires are a big cost. Replacing tires once a year or two because of driving them year round is costly... If I were in your shoes, I guess I would go newest model I could get and likely TC, as a daily driver. +better suspension.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 AM

Both the SC and TC get good mileage - I would say basically the same - around 28 on the highway.

There aren't that many of these cars around. It's not like you are going to find more than a few in your area (perhaps 1 or 2). They don't last long either, they go up for sale and then they are gone. If you have no preference as to SC or TC, buy the one in the best condition (not that it's always that easy to tell).

I have had and SC and now own a TC. They are both really good cars. Rule #1 - the fewer the mods the better. Rule #2 - see Rule #1.

The SC had higher miles and a few mods and needed some work. It cost me about a little less than a grand to undo some of the [incorrectly done] mods and set it all right. Great car, I was happy to spend the cash since once it was fixed it ran so great (until a helpful lady in an SUV smashed it into a million pieces).

My '09 TC has 47K and no mods. The only thing the car needs is someone to drive it. It's a three step process really: 1) turn the key, 2) step on the gas and 3) receive boost. It's a fun car.

If you are buying a car with lower miles (50K-75K), it should not need much work. If it does, or it's had a lot of repair work done I would be scratching my head.

If you are buying one with higher miles, some work will probably be needed (as is the case with most high mileage cars). If you are handy and can work on the car, most repairs are pretty straight forward and inexpensive. Being able to work on the car is key.

Last edited by Dan_G; 05-07-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These are very easy cars to work on as an added bonus.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:29 PM

Thanks for all of the welcomes and advice!

Originally Posted by iToastie
If you really don't have a budget... there is absolutely no reason to look at the SC's.
I mean I can come up with the cash for the TC, just may have to wait a little longer. I personally dislike the stock rims on the SC, so I will have to factor in the cost of another set of rims if I were to get one.

Originally Posted by GOSSGO
I have 05 SC. It gets 34 miles per gal on average, so the system says.. bypass helps. Though, I should think the TC has better MPG. I don't really have experience, as my work is only 15 minutes away. I fill up every 2 weeks. On my trip from Ohio to South Carolina I filled up before I left and once on the way there. No WOT, of course. With bypass, it seems like just another 2.0 L 4 banger... Up to you I suppose... Preference in the end, you want SC or TC. I mean the later the year, the better the engine. So, I guess TC would be the best bang for your buck. Not to mention repair costs. I have already replaced cat, all suspension, transmission sensor, etc... Also, in winter the instant power tends to burn up the tires; rev, rev, rev, go... Tires are a big cost. Replacing tires once a year or two because of driving them year round is costly... If I were in your shoes, I guess I would go newest model I could get and likely TC, as a daily driver. +better suspension.
Thanks for the reply, what is this bypass? Are you running snow tires, or all seasons?
Also is the "better" suspension on the TC better from a comfort standpoint, or performance?

Originally Posted by Dan_G
Both the SC and TC get good mileage - I would say basically the same - around 28 on the highway.

There aren't that many of these cars around. It's not like you are going to find more than a few in your area (perhaps 1 or 2). They don't last long either, they go up for sale and then they are gone. If you have no preference as to SC or TC, buy the one in the best condition (not that it's always that easy to tell).

I have had and SC and now own a TC. They are both really good cars. Rule #1 - the fewer the mods the better. Rule #2 - see Rule #1.

The SC had higher miles and a few mods and needed some work. It cost me about a little less than a grand to undo some of the [incorrectly done] mods and set it all right. Great car, I was happy to spend the cash since once it was fixed it ran so great (until a helpful lady in an SUV smashed it into a million pieces).

My '09 TC has 47K and no mods. The only thing the car needs is someone to drive it. It's a three step process really: 1) turn the key, 2) step on the gas and 3) receive boost. It's a fun car.

If you are buying a car with lower miles (50K-75K), it should not need much work. If it does, or it's had a lot of repair work done I would be scratching my head.

If you are buying one with higher miles, some work will probably be needed (as is the case with most high mileage cars). If you are handy and can work on the car, most repairs are pretty straight forward and inexpensive. Being able to work on the car is key.
I would probably be willing to travel for the right car. I would be looking for one with under 60k miles and as close to no mods as possible. I would probably get whichever one I could find a nice example of at a good price. What would be a decent price on a SC vs TC in good condition with ~55k miles?

Also which version seems to be doing better reliability wise? I would not be doing any mods likely as I already have a money pit for that...
Old 05-07-2014, 04:40 PM

I bought my sc with 50,000 miles for 12 thousand but there was this sc one with 25,000 miles go for 12,000 at this dealer near me in md. But in all honesty it almost I repeat almost comes down to if you want more hp now or later when choosing between the cars. If you think about your eventually your gonna mod your car and make it nice so if you get a cheap sc one and throw 5 grand into( turbo or bigger supercharger) it will be just as good if not better than the tc
Old 05-07-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_G

No way! Every cobalt on this forum gets over 28 highway mpg guaranteed. There's 5 in my area, it just depends where you live. My stage 3 kit gave me considerably better gas mileage and that's a decent mod and it's more fun.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Where's The Cruze SS?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't go wrong with either one.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome

Quick Reply: New member considering a SS