North East PA, NY, NJ, DE, MD, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, and ME

Might be moving to CT, what towns to avoid living in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Might be moving to CT, what towns to avoid living in?

My gf got a job offer in Newington,CT and were really contemplating her taking it. I'm already on a prowl for a job in the area as well. Much easier for me as a engineer to find a job anywhere, then the field my gf is in. We want to at least be within a 30 minute drive to Newington......so any suggestions on nice towns to live in, preferably one with no ghetto sides of town? Any areas to avoid? So far we've been looking at places in middletown, looks nice but hey you never know what it's really like till you live there, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rivaladore
My gf got a job offer in Newington,CT and were really contemplating her taking it. I'm already on a prowl for a job in the area as well. Much easier for me as a engineer to find a job anywhere, then the field my gf is in. We want to at least be within a 30 minute drive to Newington......so any suggestions on nice towns to live in, preferably one with no ghetto sides of town? Any areas to avoid? So far we've been looking at places in middletown, looks nice but hey you never know what it's really like till you live there, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
hey man. i live in CT, and kinda cool to hear ur thinking about coming here.

To answer ur question... I live about 40 minutes from Wallingford, and all the towns down towards the danbury area OTHER than danbury are very nice. danbury has nice parts but its also a city, so its dirty and full of crime. but southbury, naugatuck, newtown, bethel, brookfield, and a few others are very nice towns. The problem with Wallingford is its right next to hartford which is well, not nice... my gf's mother lived in multiple places in hartford and i hate going there. literally scares me and not many places do.

Like i said i live in one of the nicer towns by danbury so i dont know that way TO well. So im sure there are a few towns over by wallingford that are nice, ive just never been to any. ive only been to the major towns down that way. im sure ull get some other CT people jumping in here giving there opinion and im sure some live that way. but the towns i mentioned are all right near me and r all really nice towns. southbury would be closer to wallingford than where i live so ya. thats my input for ya.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by kikal8
hey man. i live in CT, and kinda cool to hear ur thinking about coming here.

To answer ur question... I live about 40 minutes from Wallingford, and all the towns down towards the danbury area OTHER than danbury are very nice. danbury has nice parts but its also a city, so its dirty and full of crime. but southbury, naugatuck, newtown, bethel, brookfield, and a few others are very nice towns. The problem with Wallingford is its right next to hartford which is well, not nice... my gf's mother lived in multiple places in hartford and i hate going there. literally scares me and not many places do.

Like i said i live in one of the nicer towns by danbury so i dont know that way TO well. So im sure there are a few towns over by wallingford that are nice, ive just never been to any. ive only been to the major towns down that way. im sure ull get some other CT people jumping in here giving there opinion and im sure some live that way. but the towns i mentioned are all right near me and r all really nice towns. southbury would be closer to wallingford than where i live so ya. thats my input for ya.
Thanks a lot man. The towns you mentioned are almost within a 30 minute drive of Newington? I just don't feel like typing them all in to mapquest right now lol. Im definitely not a fan of living in a city, and definetly want to feel safe wherever we choose to live. Once we move ill be down to meeting up and helping you with any cobalt needs. I was supercharged and can help you with any installs you may need to do or if you go turbo even better.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 AM

Thanks a lot man. The towns you mentioned are almost within a 30 minute drive of Newington? I just don't feel like typing them all in to mapquest right now lol. Im definitely not a fan of living in a city, and definetly want to feel safe wherever we choose to live. Once we move ill be down to meeting up and helping you with any cobalt needs. I was supercharged and can help you with any installs you may need to do or if you go turbo even better.
Haha i appreciates that man. And te drive from all these towns are probably within 45 minutes. So a little more than 30. I just dont kno any nice towns right near wallingford so thats the best ive got for ya. Ill warn u though. Traffic in that area no matter where ur comming from is crappy most the time. Especially at rush hour. Thats y i commented on the fact that wallingford is right near hartford.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
Lived in ct my whole life. Stay away from willimantic, new London, Norwich, and new haven area. Hartford a dump too
Old 08-27-2012, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
Lived in ct my whole life. Stay away from willimantic, new London, Norwich, and new haven area. Hartford a dump too
Thanks guys! If this move happens which it very well is probably going to, I look forward to meeting you. Maybe a few pizzas, beers and ill do your cobalt parts installs if you lend a hand with the move in? Benjamin's too if you need the cash.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:40 AM

Thanks guys! If this move happens which it very well is probably going to, I look forward to meeting you. Maybe a few pizzas, beers and ill do your cobalt parts installs if you lend a hand with the move in? Benjamin's too if you need the cash.
ha its no problem man, and ur the harbor freight guy from the other thread haha. i didnt even realize.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 AM

ha its no problem man, and ur the harbor freight guy from the other thread haha. i didnt even realize.
Lol yea it's me, I've known you lived in CT for awhile......good memory I guess, just didn't want to be a creep and pm you out of the blue. I was patient and waited for you to come to me....hehe...it's all about strategy that's the engineer in me I knew you and the Mohegan sun guy would post here, god I'm on this site too much.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 AM

Lol yea it's me, I've known you lived in CT for awhile......good memory I guess, just didn't want to be a creep and pm you out of the blue. I was patient and waited for you to come to me....hehe...it's all about strategy that's the engineer in me
ha how did u already know? and everything about car forums is a bit creepy and sketchy. but thats the love of forums. Like for instance. the car meets and just like, sortof weird to go to when u dont actually know the faces of the people ur talking to at first, and how u were just being polite and saying u'd be down to get pizza and watever. its just the way of forum's. mostly full of very nice, fun having people. but being as its typed and not said to u in person, its a bit weird at first.

i hope u get wat im saying aha
Old 08-27-2012, 01:56 AM

ha how did u already know? and everything about car forums is a bit creepy and sketchy. but thats the love of forums. Like for instance. the car meets and just like, sortof weird to go to when u dont actually know the faces of the people ur talking to at first, and how u were just being polite and saying u'd be down to get pizza and watever. its just the way of forum's. mostly full of very nice, fun having people. but being as its typed and not said to u in person, its a bit weird at first.

i hope u get wat im saying aha
No I get what you're saying. Well for starters your location says CT and I remember a video you posted a few weeks ago doing a pull and your gf was like "oh oh ehh ehh ehh ehhhhhhhh". And well I'm in northern new jersey and whenever I look at someones location and see you're close to me I'll remember it. Plus my memory is random and i remember random stuff. Shoot out a list of some peoples forum names and I'll tell you where most of them live. I don't know why it just is. I can sit down and study for a class read 2 pages and not remember a single word, but remember random things I've read once. My friends think I have nsome weird ADD problem...I concur.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 AM

No I get what you're saying. Well for starters your location says CT and I remember a video you posted a few weeks ago doing a pull and your gf was like "oh oh ehh ehh ehh ehhhhhhhh". And well I'm in northern new jersey and whenever I look at someones location and see you're close to me I'll remember it. Plus my memory is random and i remember random stuff. Shoot out a list of some peoples forum names and I'll tell you where most of them live. I don't know why it just is. I can sit down and study for a class read 2 pages and not remember a single word, but remember random things I've read once. My friends think I have nsome weird ADD problem...I concur.
haaha well thats sortof cool, kinda like photographic memory but selective ha. and yea my gf is rediculous.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:07 AM

haaha well thats sortof cool, kinda like photographic memory but selective ha. and yea my gf is rediculous.
Yea if it only worked the way I wanted to I'd be a genius
Old 08-27-2012, 02:26 AM

if your trying to stay around Naugatuck Cheshire is a decent area.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by 06CobaltSS635SC

Lol
Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 AM

HAHAHA ive never seen that before. thats pretty good.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Lmao!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 PM

best.meme.ever.

but yeah stay away from bpt, hartford new haven west haven waterbury.

take a look at Farmington Avon and Rocky Hill. They are pretty decent places to live
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM

Bridgeport is fine so long as you stay near the Bridgeport/Trumbull town line (by the Westfield Mall). New Haven always has something to do, but the roads there are HORRIBLE (they knocked my Ion's suspension out of alignment. Damned potholes) and parking is a pain in the ass. And New Haven has a high crime rate as well (rapes, murders, shootings, gang violence) as does Waterbury and Derby (Derby less so than the others.

I grew up in Naugatuck, but it's nicknamed "Naugafuck" for a reason. Naugatuck seems to be the center of teen STD's and pregnancies in Connecticut.

Ansonia has an armory so you know where to go during a Zombie apocalypse.

I'd personally check out Shelton, Trumbull, Huntington, and that's all I can think of at the moment.

Oxford is the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Only go there if your hobby is tipping cows.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Lol.. bridgeport, new haven, danbury? Come on guy, didn't he say he was looking for a place no more than 30 minutes from newington? All of those are a minimum of 45-60 minutes from newington.

Op, I saw you mention Middletown before. Although Middletown has an ok area on the out skirts, it is a complete ghetto dump aside from that. Are you looking for more of a country type of area? If so something like Plymouth, Terryville, and Thomaston are all within 30 minutes or so of Newington and are quiet little towns that are still within reasonable driving distance of "civilization" so to speak. Plus the housing prices are really reasonable up there in compared to alot of other areas in the state.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Looking isn't concrete sometimes you find a good deal and sacrifice a little traveling time. That's in the same boat im going to be in again shortly
Old 08-27-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
Lol.. bridgeport, new haven, danbury? Come on guy, didn't he say he was looking for a place no more than 30 minutes from newington? All of those are a minimum of 45-60 minutes from newington.

Op, I saw you mention Middletown before. Although Middletown has an ok area on the out skirts, it is a complete ghetto dump aside from that. Are you looking for more of a country type of area? If so something like Plymouth, Terryville, and Thomaston are all within 30 minutes or so of Newington and are quiet little towns that are still within reasonable driving distance of "civilization" so to speak. Plus the housing prices are really reasonable up there in compared to alot of other areas in the state.
I said the areas around danbury and i specifically said dont go to danbury. Ha evrywhere around danbury is nice except danbury. And even mentioned the fact that i dont know many towns over by wallingford so i told him in the area where i live wats nice. Sometimes, u have to comprimise a bit to get a nice house in a nice area while being pretty close to work. I think a 45 minute drive as apposed to 30 is an ok comprimise. But again. I let him know i didnt kno the area by wallingford well and i even told him that the towns near danbury r around 45 minutes from wallingford. I think southbury is a nice town and is not to far from wallingford
Old 08-27-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
hey hey, whats wrong with willimatic lol
Old 08-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

The overuseage of cut springs and raegaeton
Old 09-08-2012, 10:12 PM

My gf and I checked out some apartments in Hamden today. Any thoughts on the area? didnt get to drive around we were tire and wanted to get home before the storms. The apartments were pretty sweet, we're probably going to get a 2br. Need some place to put my bench, squat cage and other weight equipment. Those fitness centers In the complex arent going to cut it and I'm not joining a gym when I have all my stuff already. Definitely going to spend some extra money and get a space with an over hang(they call it a car port). Already saw some guy working on a Cadillac under the overhang near the apartment I might be in. He doesn't know it yet but we're going to be friends
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM

My Suggestions are: Newington, Wethersfield, Glastonbury, West Hartford, Wallingford