North East PA, NY, NJ, DE, MD, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, and ME

Some a$$ ripped my spoiler off... twice

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some a$$ ripped my spoiler off... twice

So I'm a student out at Syracuse U. and I have an apartment near campus. On the morning after labor day I went outside to the parking lot to find my high rise spoiler broken in half, leaving one vertical fin on the car and the rest of the spoiler tossed on the ground. Yeah it looked pretty retarded. Cops don't investigate anything unless the value of the damage is over $1500 so there was basically nothing I could do. So i got it fixed with my own money, and had a low wing put on instead since I got a deal on one and I liked the look better. Yesterday I go outside... low wing RIPPED OFF the car and its just resting there on the trunk. The trunk is also out of alignment now and there are dents from where they bent it up on the tops of each rear quarters. Now I have no money to fix it, barely enough money for school and the car looks like **** again with the four bolts poking through the trunk.

So I did a stakeout and made it look like the spoiler was back on and watched from my window all night to see if anyone effed with the car. Nothing. Honestly I have no enemies, the only reason someone is doing this is for kicks. I have no idea what action I can take... the insurance deductible is $500 so I might as well not file with them its still gonna cost me. I just wish I could get someone to fingerprint the spoiler damn it, they had their hands all over it. I need to find who did this... any ideas?

First time:

Fixed:

Fixed:

Like I said now the low one is ripped off I dont have a pic of it yet. I know I'm just grasping at straws and its probably hopeless but anybody got good tracking skills lol or any ideas? I'm posting up a reward for information on it, other than that I don't know what else I could do.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:12 AM

sucks man only suggestion i have is to get yourself a trunk lock camera and pull your trunk lock out put the camera in there and set it up on a dvr, have it only record when movement is present. i did something similar to this when my car got keyed outside my house, i'd fix it they'd key it again, so i set my webcam at my window and set it up to were it would only record a video if movement was present, first night just caught a cat walking over my car, the second night it caught the guy keying my car, nothing covering his face so took the video to the police department and he was caught and charged with vandalism.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 AM

I considered that but there are no lights in the lot, I don't even know if it would pick up the faces in the dark. I could always buy one at walmart and see if it works and take it back if not... gotta love a no questions asked return policy. I might try that, thanks
Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look up Kolorcraft on New Court Street in Syracuse.

The owner's name is Lenny Smith. He's the guy that when people find out he's at a show, they track him down to give him awards. His son's name is Greg, and he pretty much manages the shop. They do great work for cheap.

If I were you, I would just get the trunk shaved and not have to worry about it anymore. I grew up in Syracuse and I can gaurantee you that is someone who goes to LeMoyne or Syracuse that has the wrong kind of hard-on for Cobalts and will just keep ******* w/ you. They probably live nearby too.

Call up Greg and tell him that Erik Wiehl (pronounced While) sent you to see what he could do for you. Greg is a stand up guy. Well worth the 20 minute drive to see what he's willing to fix it for...

the one at walmart is to noticable, you have a black cobalt the one for the lock willl look more like a lock cover, and you can get them on ebay cheaper than buying the one at walmart... plus the ones on ebay you can get night vision to be able to pick up faces in the low light situation... i work at walmart yep that policy is nice, but i wouldn't waste the money on a liscense plate mounted cam lol their liable to see it rip it off then ur out 100 bucks haha.

not to mention the ones at walmart there is no way to set it up on a dvr to record it... the ones on ebay have the rca jacks so u'd just plug it directly to a laptop or dvr and let it record... if you can hook it up through a laptop u could probably use some software that would only record when movement was present.
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
man, that really really sucks. i hope you can file a report, this is vandalism, and it happening twice would definitely sound deliberate. i say try the police again.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Edubs
If I were you, I would just get the trunk shaved and not have to worry about it anymore. I grew up in Syracuse and I can gaurantee you that is someone who goes to LeMoyne or Syracuse that has the wrong kind of hard-on for Cobalts and will just keep ******* w/ you. They probably live nearby too.

I was thinking they must live nearby otherwise they wouldnt know the car was there. Thanks for the referral I'll definitely get a quote. I'm just worried that once I get that done they'll resort to something else to break on it thats why I want to find the punks who did it. I'm sick of dumping money in this car that doesn't benefit me. But I'll look into getting it shaved.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:51 AM

viewable from your apartment? My brother was having problems with someone screwing with his jeep, so he set up a video camera that recorded 24hrs on his parking spot. Only took 3 days and he got the guy arrested and he had to pay for the damages.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Prouty33
viewable from your apartment? My brother was having problems with someone screwing with his jeep, so he set up a video camera that recorded 24hrs on his parking spot. Only took 3 days and he got the guy arrested and he had to pay for the damages.
Thats exactly what I'm gonna do for now. But I don't think I'll recognize who it is doing it, so in his case, how did they identify the person damaging it? And since it happens at night time usually does anyone know video cameras that are good at night and have a good zoom, cause I'm on the third floor.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:26 PM

i got a jvc with a 200x digital zoom it was like 400 at walmart but i think its down to 200 or less now... has night vision as well.. should do the trick... as for catching the guy they ran his face through and got a hit luckily the guy that was keying my car had a record...
Old 09-21-2008, 02:57 PM

Well theres a VERY good possibility he lives in the near vicinity... In my brother's case, the kid lived in the next apartment building and he just kept an eye out for him. Once he spotted him he found out who he was and where he lived. Police took care of the rest.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:08 PM

didnt this happen to someone else. Either way i know where im not going for college haha.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 PM

my college is so bad. They sent around a letter telling anyonr with a honda to basiclly not drive it to school. everything gets stolen and broke in this campus. IT SUCKS. so now i dont drive my balt to school i take my mother hyundai =\. how am i supposed to get any good looks in that thing. But its the price i gotta pay to keep my car from getting fucked up.

i would recommend trading cars with your parents or something while your at school.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think what I'm gonna do is get this wireless camera (its tiny) thats meant specifically for night vision that transmits to a reciever and I can record on my laptop. I'll stick the camera out the back window behind the rear seats and cover it with a sweatshirt or something so its not obvious. I'll record everynight and wait till I get their faces and bring it to the cops then. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:04 AM

gotta get that wing fixed first or at least make it look fixed.