Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

Beware Hahn downpipes...FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware Hahn downpipes...FAIL

This is mainly a rant to express my dissapointment in a normally highly regaurded vendor.
About 9 months ago I bought a full hahn exhaust (header, dp, cat back) and 6 months in the dp failed at the flex section. I spoke to warrenty and of course they say "Oh what a suprise, this has never happened in the history of this downpipe." Horse ****. Then they try to say its because I don't have mounts... but wait yes I do. So not the reason. Anyways I spend f*cking 28 bucks to send the downpipe to them and this is thier response (keep in mind at the time my car was GM stage 2 under warrenty with no other power adders, straight from the lot):

This converter and the flexible coupling failed as a result of extreme heat caused by an excessively rich fuel mixture. This is apparent because of the extremely dark coloration of the pipes and converter body itself. It's fairly obvious that fuel was burning in the exhaust manifold and converter inlet pipe. Converters that have failed because of engine or tuning problems are not covered by warranty.

Attached are the pics, let us know what you think.

Clay

What a f*cking genius... the pipe looks black? That is the explanation? Like ever exhaust in history the pipe looks dark. Its an exhaust pipe!!!!!! Fumes from the engine flow through it, no **** the inside is dark. So this apparenty "not a cheap import" as the site claims is such a stellar performance part that it can't hand a GM stage 2 car. Pretty sweet. Classic car company, blame anything possible even if it is dumb in an attempt to pretent thier part has still never failed. I personally will never buy anything from Hahn Racecraft ever again. And my engine still has absolutly no problems of any sort since the day I bought it. And lets not forget this downpipe cost me about $450.

Ok venting complete....

Anyways I wanted to take this opportunity to thank ZZP, OTTP, and CTI for selling quality parts for a resonable price. Had I known I was going to eat f*cking $450 I would have bought 3 downpipes from any one of you for the same price. What a rip off!

Currently I am running a ZZP 3" downpipe and it is as pefect as the day it was installed. And for the past few weeks I have been running my new TVS hard and its holding fine.

Thank you ZZP and thank you Harrop for being able to back up all the talk with reliable products.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:12 AM

Wow^
Old 08-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my hahn downpipe after 6 months. sorry, pictures were taken of the rotated mounts but still a pretty decen tshot of the flex pipe and cat

i'm gonna have to say they're correct on this one.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:21 AM

i had the same problem with my down pipe, first the welds broke so i paid to ship it out to them, then got a new one, then the flex pipe broke and i didnt wanna wait 6 more weeks so i just ordered a flex pipe from vibrant, then the cat clogged so i had to get another flex pipe and gut the cat.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:31 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
the flex section used is not ment for high temperatures of a forced inducted engine. hence why it shreaded
Old 08-25-2009, 01:38 AM

What kind of EGTs are you pulling? And what is your AFR?

your DP should not be that color, it should be like EXsoccer's, my DP is the caramel/copper color like his. the only time I have seen them colored like yours it was because the cars had really high EGTs and definitely had a serious amount of gasoline burning in the exhaust.

Not defending a vendor, just asking for more information.

l8r,
PD
Old 08-25-2009, 01:45 AM

How can you sell a product specifically for our car that can't handle GM stage 2? Its the only mod that can remain under warrenty. What kind of performance product can't handle factory parts?

Originally Posted by BlkWdoSS
What kind of EGTs are you pulling? And what is your AFR?

your DP should not be that color, it should be like EXsoccer's, my DP is the caramel/copper color like his. the only time I have seen them colored like yours it was because the cars had really high EGTs and definitely had a serious amount of gasoline burning in the exhaust.

Not defending a vendor, just asking for more information.

l8r,
PD
I don't know, but again the car was stage 2 off of the lot. I hadn't made a single change.

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
my hahn downpipe after 6 months. sorry, pictures were taken of the rotated mounts but still a pretty decen tshot of the flex pipe and cat

i'm gonna have to say they're correct on this one.
Your post is irrelivant, if you look at my downpipe and yours they are obviously not made with the same flex section. Mine was bought before Hahn started making downpipes themselves.

Originally Posted by Area47
the flex section used is not ment for high temperatures of a forced inducted engine. hence why it shreaded
What are you saying? That every vendor that makes one with a flex section is wrong in doing so? Becuase I was under the impression these parts were specifically made for a cobalt SS/SC... a forced induction engine.

Last edited by ajm5036; 08-25-2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Rent me! per hour

your impression was wrong. there are two types of flex sections. one like you have, and a higher heat/forced induction type. a stage 2 car will push over 1600 degree's on egt's with ease. the felc section used is not ment to handle those temperatures.

go poke around vibrant performances web site and look for the flex sections.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:55 AM

your impression was wrong. there are two types of flex sections. one like you have, and a higher heat/forced induction type. a stage 2 car will push over 1600 degree's on egt's with ease. the felc section used is not ment to handle those temperatures.

go poke around vibrant performances web site and look for the flex sections.
That may be true, and believe me I know the difference now. But that doesn't make up for the fact that they sold me this expensive ass down pipe with a shitty flex section. Regaurdless it failed because its quality is questionable and it couldn't handle the heat.

Oh by the way area, while your here arguing with me. What month of Modified was your car in? I'm trying to go pic it up at barns and noble tomorrow. Was it august?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:59 AM
Rent me! per hour

lol. nope. not august. october. has not hit stands yet. i spent 2 hours trying to find it today!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:04 AM

lol. nope. not august. october. has not hit stands yet. i spent 2 hours trying to find it today!
Haha, ****.... barnes and noble trip... cancelled. Thats sweet though congrats, way to rep the cobalts. What size pulley are you running now on the TVS? I just strapped mine in and I love it. Oh and are you running 60's with a return style?

You might as well tell me now, otherwise I'll just figure it out in october... I want to bite off your mods.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:04 AM

Ok, well i would invest in an AFR and an EGT setup, but your stage 2 tuning may have been the problem, sucks that that happened to you, Ive never had that problem on any of my FI cars but ive spent alot of time researching and Ive seen a lot of the horror stories. I hope the ZZP works great for you

I personally run the ZZP Catless 3" and I wouldnt have it any other way, it was quite the pita to tap thru the rear flange so that the bolt holes would line up with my hahn 3" catback but Im loving the setup

l8r,
PD
Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 AM

Ok, well i would invest in an AFR and an EGT setup, but your stage 2 tuning may have been the problem, sucks that that happened to you, Ive never had that problem on any of my FI cars but ive spent alot of time researching and Ive seen a lot of the horror stories. I hope the ZZP works great for you

I personally run the ZZP Catless 3" and I wouldnt have it any other way, it was quite the pita to tap thru the rear flange so that the bolt holes would line up with my hahn 3" catback but Im loving the setup

l8r,
PD
Well now I have a custom tune because I installed my TVS, so the AFR is perfect now. SO I'm not worried about this repeating. Thanks man, haha thats funny that you mentioned the rear flange wouldn't line up. Because if you look at the pics again you'll notice the rear flange is missing. Thats because I chopped that **** up and welded it to my zzp. It fit perfect and now its a zzp hahn hybrid.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:14 AM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by ajm5036
Haha, ****.... barnes and noble trip... cancelled. Thats sweet though congrats, way to rep the cobalts. What size pulley are you running now on the TVS? I just strapped mine in and I love it. Oh and are you running 60's with a return style?

You might as well tell me now, otherwise I'll just figure it out in october... I want to bite off your mods.
the issue will be out either this week or next on stands.

i'm running a 2.75 pulley on 79lb injectors and stock returnless system. it will remain returnless until i push beyond the limits of what i have in the works.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:18 AM

the issue will be out either this week or next on stands.

i'm running a 2.75 pulley on 79lb injectors and stock returnless system. it will remain returnless until i push beyond the limits of what i have in the works.
So with meth what r ur numbers? (last question)
Old 08-25-2009, 02:19 AM

like wise lol, oct issue wont hit the stands for about 1, 1-1/2 weeks, i think
Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Rent me! per hour

So with meth what r ur numbers? (last question)
on c16
352/308

pump gas? if i had to guess, id venture to say around 338-340? i have not dyno'd the car since i fixed the injector buckets that were leaking air due to bad seals.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 AM

I'm right around 280 right now with just the TVS stock pulley and 60s. Do you think meth would get me over 300? Oh and are you running stcok throttle body?

Ok so I have a few more questions....
Old 08-25-2009, 02:47 AM

on c16
352/308

pump gas? if i had to guess, id venture to say around 338-340? i have not dyno'd the car since i fixed the injector buckets that were leaking air due to bad seals.
how come your tq is so high?
Old 08-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by scott allen
how come your tq is so high?
2.75 pulley + timing = win

I'm right around 280 right now with just the TVS stock pulley and 60s. Do you think meth would get me over 300? Oh and are you running stcok throttle body?

Ok so I have a few more questions....
depends on how aggressive the tune is. yep. stock tb

Last edited by Area47; 08-25-2009 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
when I was s2 only i had the Dezod/RT downpipe, the cat somehow came unattached and was rattling around. They would not cover it, saying the exact same thing Hahn said to you. I feel your pain man!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 AM

Well now I have a custom tune because I installed my TVS, so the AFR is perfect now. SO I'm not worried about this repeating. Thanks man, haha thats funny that you mentioned the rear flange wouldn't line up. Because if you look at the pics again you'll notice the rear flange is missing. Thats because I chopped that **** up and welded it to my zzp. It fit perfect and now its a zzp hahn hybrid.
lol, I just spent a lot of time with tap magic and a few drill bits, bolts up cleanly now, have you ever had problems with your hahn slipping apart at the slip joint where the DP meets the rest of the exhaust? mine actually came apart while driving, it sucked hearing that expensive piece of metal hit the ground

l8r,
PD
Old 08-25-2009, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hockeyman
when I was s2 only i had the Dezod/RT downpipe, the cat somehow came unattached and was rattling around. They would not cover it, saying the exact same thing Hahn said to you. I feel your pain man!
Yeah its bullshit.... but its in the past..... Hahn can suck it.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hockeyman
Hockeyman, you gonna be in the DFW this weekend? you should come to the cobalt meet @ bone daddys in Richardson, saturday @ 2
Old 08-25-2009, 03:11 AM

lol, I just spent a lot of time with tap magic and a few drill bits, bolts up cleanly now, have you ever had problems with your hahn slipping apart at the slip joint where the DP meets the rest of the exhaust? mine actually came apart while driving, it sucked hearing that expensive piece of metal hit the ground

l8r,
PD
Yes it did, luckly it wasnt far from home and the hangers held it just above the ground. SO I lucked out and its been fine since. But who knows it might explode because my tune is too rich... j/k but seriously Hahn suck it.

Quick Reply: Beware Hahn downpipes...FAIL