Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

I broke it...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
I broke it...

Well, here it is. As another milestone in my quest to do things differently, I managed to not break a top ring land like everyone else, I broke the middle and bottom ones

The oil spreader rings (well, what was left of them) were the only things holding most of the chunks of piston together. All the debris on the left was found in the oil pan.

Close up...

Also, the car had developed a nasty rattle a while after doing this, and I was able to find the source. The top bolt of the fixed timing chain guide had completely come out and was hitting against the plug in the head. $4 for another bolt, and its special order... lucky me.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bummer man. diamond pistons for you?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Well, here it is. As another milestone in my quest to do things differently, I managed to not break a top ring land like everyone else, I broke the middle and bottom ones

The oil spreader rings (well, what was left of them) were the only things holding most of the chunks of piston together. All the debris on the left was found in the oil pan.

Also, the car had developed a nasty rattle a while after doing this, and I was able to find the source. The top bolt of the fixed timing chain guide had completely come out and was hitting against the plug in the head. $4 for another bolt, and its special order... lucky me.

Over achiever? lol

You have all the parts to rebuild right?

ouch ouch ouch man. Well I guess now you have an excuse for new internals
Old 08-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe, any pics of the cylinder wall?
Old 08-31-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
bummer man. diamond pistons for you?
That plus some. Its been blown for like 5 months now, just finally getting around to doing something about it. Have a little pile of stuff for it...

Originally Posted by SSdan
Joe, any pics of the cylinder wall?
yeah, gimme one sec...

Originally Posted by camarokiller
Over achiever? lol

You have all the parts to rebuild right?

I try

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 08-31-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

I try

Thats what i tell the nurse when she says my blood pressure is high everyday lol.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

haha, i've got a pile too, but mine doesn't include internals. i'm hoping to get some diamond pistons plus the GMR Head and Cams.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:35 PM

haha, i've got a pile too, but mine doesn't include internals. i'm hoping to get some diamond pistons plus the GMR Head and Cams.
Yeah, looking at the head, the ports are retardedly small on the exhaust side. I'm getting a blown engine core in a week after I take it out of a local guy's car, I might have to get the head ported. I am gonna have a hard time putting the stocker back on after seeing how shitty it is, but I don't have the money/time for a built head right now.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

How does the scratch look now that you can actually see it? That's my biggest fear, which is why I'm trying to get mine warrantied and when I get it back new pistons will go in that same week.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Yeah, looking at the head, the ports are retardedly small on the exhaust side. I'm getting a blown engine core in a week after I take it out of a local guy's car, I might have to get the head ported. I am gonna have a hard time putting the stocker back on after seeing how shitty it is, but I don't have the money/time for a built head right now.
my problem as well, i'm also looking into getting a head out of a wrecked balt down the line and having it custom ported a little more aggressively, and on both i and e sides.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:41 PM

How does the scratch look now that you can actually see it? That's my biggest fear, which is why I'm trying to get mine warrantied and when I get it back new pistons will go in that same week.
Not that bad, very minor. Unfortunatly for me, I have no choice but to just put the new pistons right back in this block, I'm out of warranty and I would have spent too much putting the car back stock anyway to get warrantied, then still had to do the work. I'll just deal with a little less compression on that one if I need to. Plan to actually build a shortblock one day for the car, so this will have to hold until then.

my problem as well, i'm also looking into getting a head out of a wrecked balt down the line and having it custom ported a little more aggressively, and on both i and e sides.
I actually spent about 20 mins with a carbide bit on the exhaust ports before taking the head to be worked on, I couldn't bear to leave it alone, the outlets actually taper down before they exit... what kind of stupid **** designed this thing is beyond me.

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 08-31-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Banned

Hmm. I wonder how much less you would have on that cylinder now.

Worse comes to worse with mine, I'll do the same as you.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

I actually spent about 20 mins with a carbide bit on the exhaust ports before taking the head to be worked on, I couldn't bear to leave it alone, the outlets actually taper down before they exit... what kind of stupid **** designed this thing is beyond me.
probably the same genius that designed our intake manifold...

what's the diff. between shortblock and longblock? kind of a newb Q. i know the diff. between big and small block, is that kinda similar, but for smaller engines?

Last edited by ls1fbody; 08-31-2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-31-2008, 04:44 PM

Hmm. I wonder how much less you would have on that cylinder now.

Worse comes to worse with mine, I'll do the same as you.
Well, it was only down about 30% when I did a compression test with the piston destroyed, so I imagine it would be less than 10% at worst. I'm not worried about it, low compression is good for nitrous
Old 08-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Banned

what's the diff. between shortblock and longblock? kind of a newb Q. i know the diff. between big and small block, is that kinda similar, but for smaller engines?
Short block is just the bottom end, pistons crank and rods.

Longblock includes the head and various other things.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned

Not that bad, very minor. Unfortunatly for me, I have no choice but to just put the new pistons right back in this block, I'm out of warranty and I would have spent too much putting the car back stock anyway to get warrantied, then still had to do the work. I'll just deal with a little less compression on that one if I need to. Plan to actually build a shortblock one day for the car, so this will have to hold until then.

The scratch is to deep to hone? say take out .010" out get diamond .010" over bore pistons?
Old 08-31-2008, 04:46 PM

Short block is not including the head, just the block and internals. I will be getting a spare block that has some internal damage, I'm thinking about sending it out and having it built right as funds allow. Built head will probably come first, as that will actually make real power and is easier to ship around if needed.

Originally Posted by camarokiller
The scratch is to deep to hone? say take out .010" out get diamond .010" over bore pistons?
Problem is, its only one cyl, i'm not gonna hone them all out myself, and i'm not pulling the engine from the car right now to send it out and have it bored.

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 08-31-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

My guess is you'll be upping the shot now that it's forged.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:50 PM

My guess is you'll be upping the shot now that it's forged.
Might as well, but i'm still on stock clutch(61K miles) and ****, so I have to be reasonable for now.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Short block is not including the head, just the block and internals. I will be getting a spare block that has some internal damage, I'm thinking about sending it out and having it built right as funds allow. Built head will probably come first, as that will actually make real power and is easier to ship around if needed.
gotcha, now i know
Old 08-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

Problem is, its only one cyl, i'm not gonna hone them all out myself, and i'm not pulling the engine from the car right now to send it out and have it bored.

Oh I thought you had acess to the tools required to do a hone job. Sunnen makes a nice 10 inch bar that would work good for this application. Rough with 45 grit and finish with 120.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if ANY cylinder is honed does that mean they all need to be?

And would any honing at all require overbore pistons?
Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if ANY cylinder is honed does that mean they all need to be?

Well, honing and boring are two different procedures. Honing is usually used to knock a rough edge off in a cyl during a rebuild or something, not to open up the cyl by a very large margin. Boring is machining the block to a larger bore size, usually done to get into fresh material in the sleeves to restore an older block, or simply for a marginal displacement bump, 3-5 CI or so.

Honing is usually done by hand, and is therefore not desirable to open up all cyls or very much due to the lack of precision. There is a risk of making the cyl uneven, giving it an hourglass shape or a bulge in the middle.

And yes, if you significantly open up the bore, larger pistons are needed.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

any difference, even that slight would create unbalanced stress. the greater force of that single cylinder would put a lot of stress on the driveline... just looking at it logically, i may be wrong.

Quick Reply: I broke it...