Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

JBP Cams, Installed Pics & Vids Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mev and I spoke about what possible issues there could be with the manufacturing and grinding of the cams. He mentioned three things. Let's see if I can remember...

#1 - Material Grade/Hardness
#2 - Centerline
#3 - Material defects/damaged cams

He mentioned that Geoff at Colt tests all three aspects of the cams before they ship out. I was concerned about this also. I am currently trying to touch base with those that ordered their cams ground off of Steel Billet Cores. Those sets of cams should have the stock centerline and not be adjusted due to the regrind on stock cams. I have yet to find out if any of those people have received their billets and installed them. We will see what we find out in the upcoming week. I have quite a few PM's out there waiting for response. Like I said before, I don't want to point fingers until I have proof of what the real causes are for my vehicle not running...

Originally Posted by Witt
'06 Arrival Blue LSJ

10-1 Diamond Pistons - Neutral Balance Shafts - Custom 272 Cams - Supertech Dual Coil Valve Springs w/ Ti Retainers - ARP Head Studs - Cometic Head Gasket - 60lb injectors - 2.8" Blower Pulley HPTuned myself w/ 8k rev limit + tons of supporting mods
I'm curious. Are you running that setup currently? Who did you have grind the custom cams? Did you dyno your setup?

Last edited by Edubs; 03-26-2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-26-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn yall still having problems with these cams....return them back to jbp and keep stock....STOCK CAMS FOR LIFE...thats my new motto..but either way i hope yall get the cars running soon...esp. you dan
Old 03-26-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered new cams, so if and when I get them, I'll let you know. JBP called me about a week ago asking if I wanted steel, or the GM cores.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:52 PM

So what did you pick? GM Cores or Steel Billet?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Edubs
I'm curious. Are you running that setup currently? Who did you have grind the custom cams? Did you dyno your setup?
Same person that made riceeater's cams on the redline forums. I'm still waiting on parts to finish the build so I'll update when its done. They are base circle regrinds but the lash adjusters are shimmed to maintain the stock height. Riceeater has a video over there of the same cam I bought but with a 280 grind.
Originally Posted by cavy-to-SS
damn yall still having problems with these cams....return them back to jbp and keep stock....STOCK CAMS FOR LIFE...thats my new motto..but either way i hope yall get the cars running soon...esp. you dan
Stock cams will only flow a limited amount of air. Limited air = limited horsepower.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:15 PM

Also interested in your outcome, Witt. It seems like with each passing day, there is more and more info that gets passed along with what the problem may be, just no answers unfortuantly. Oh and Steve, thanks for the "esp. you dan" hahahaha, you just want someone to cruise with again lol.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by DTM2188
Also interested in your outcome, Witt. It seems like with each passing day, there is more and more info that gets passed along with what the problem may be, just no answers unfortuantly. Oh and Steve, thanks for the "esp. you dan" hahahaha, you just want someone to cruise with again lol.
What I'm interested in seeing is the results of the cars with the steel billets. I'm pretty sure I know the lash adjuster's maximum travel and also stock height, but I can't find the source where I originally learned it so I won't quote it until I can find a credible source. I really think shims are going to ultimately be the answer imho but this is a guess since I haven't actually seen these cams in person, I'm just going by what I can remember of the maximum amount of lash the stock valve train can take up and what JBP posted about removing .100" of material from the base circle.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:49 PM

haha you just havent had your car in what like 2 months...damn i wouldnt even know i owned a cobalt after all this
Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 AM

What I'm interested in seeing is the results of the cars with the steel billets. I'm pretty sure I know the lash adjuster's maximum travel and also stock height, but I can't find the source where I originally learned it so I won't quote it until I can find a credible source. I really think shims are going to ultimately be the answer imho but this is a guess since I haven't actually seen these cams in person, I'm just going by what I can remember of the maximum amount of lash the stock valve train can take up and what JBP posted about removing .100" of material from the base circle.
JBP posted about having 0.025" more lift than the original camshaft. Where the .100" came from was that the stock LSJ lifter can accomodate lash up to .090"-.100"...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:00 AM

mine is finally running good.. I'll cruise
Old 03-27-2007, 11:03 AM

JBP posted about having 0.025" more lift than the original camshaft. Where the .100" came from was that the stock LSJ lifter can accomodate lash up to .090"-.100"...
Is .025" the amount of increased valve lift or the amount of cam lift?

The .100" is pretty much the limit on the stock lash adjusters, I agree with as well. The first time I read that post, I took it to mean they actually removed .100" of material.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Is .025" the amount of increased valve lift or the amount of cam lift?

The .100" is pretty much the limit on the stock lash adjusters, I agree with as well. The first time I read that post, I took it to mean they actually removed .100" of material.
Increased valve lift is .025" as I understand it...

Originally Posted by JBP
- Dyno's are on the part description available by clicking the link in the GB thread. Please note that even though there was only a 15.3WHP difference gain, this was during the time HPTuners was non-existent. We forsee better results with the advent of HPtuners and cam tuning. (You will run richer with these cams, therefore tuning is a must!)

- Our TriFlow mode specs are released for the first time! Please note that our TriFlow Technology contains a primary and secondary intake lobe profile. Revolutionary first in camshaft technology.

PRIMARY INTAKE
ADV
264* 418L
@.050
209*

SECONDARY INTAKE
ADV
256* 417L
@.050
202*

PRIMARY EXHAUST
ADV
256* 417L
@.050
202*
Originally Posted by JBP
...Finally, the camshaft has rotated 180° and the lobe is now at the face of the lifter (full lift) and the lifter travel is now 0.425". (0.025" more than the original camshaft) No magic, no welding. Just plain simple physics.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Okay here's where we stand. Before I brought the car in for the cam install, I had a CEL with the DTC:

P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean -PCM

I made the assumption, based off of research I had done before installing my intake that the code had to do with a dirty MAF(Note: DTC occured after intake install), or more likely, the increased flow extending readings past the frequency available in the tables.

Well I just read the codes that this is what I came up w/:

P0172 Fuel Trim System Rich –PCM
P1182 Supercharger Inlet Pressure Sensor Performance -PCM

I went from Lean to Rich and now I have a sensor gone bad aparently. What confuses me is the obvious mechanical noises displayed by my non-functioning engine. I don't think changing a sensor would solve this issue, but it definately is a symtom. We'll see what Matt @ TTP and Mev @ JBP have to say tomorrow. I still have to take the valve cover off to inspect for valvetrain damage, but we definately are getting somewhere. Opinions are welcome...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Okay here's where we stand. Before I brought the car in for the cam install, I had a CEL with the DTC:

P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean -PCM

I made the assumption, based off of research I had done before installing my intake that the code had to do with a dirty MAF(Note: DTC occured after intake install), or more likely, the increased flow extending readings past the frequency available in the tables.

Well I just read the codes that this is what I came up w/:

P0172 Fuel Trim System Rich –PCM
P1182 Supercharger Inlet Pressure Sensor Performance -PCM

I went from Lean to Rich and now I have a sensor gone bad aparently. What confuses me is the obvious mechanical noises displayed by my non-functioning engine. I don't think changing a sensor would solve this issue, but it definately is a symtom. We'll see what Matt @ TTP and Mev @ JBP have to say tomorrow. I still have to take the valve cover off to inspect for valvetrain damage, but we definately are getting somewhere. Opinions are welcome...
171 means your MAF is calibrated 20% or more too lean. (not actually lean but 20% more air is flowing by it then it thinks). then the MAF calibration went an actual 40% in the other direction and threw the 172 code which is extremely odd. The bad SCIP could cause this, but I don't think both codes would be thrown. You could have a bad scip or maf really. Do you have HPTuners? I would unplug the scip and then monitor your fuel trims to see if they come back in the positive range. SCIP is only there to run checks to ensure the electronic throttle and MAF/MAP/TPS1&2 are working correctly.

Last edited by Witt; 03-27-2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: terminology wtfpwns me
Old 03-27-2007, 09:24 PM

171 means your MAF is calibrated 20% or more too lean. (not actually lean but 20% more air is flowing by it then it thinks). then the MAF calibration went an actual 40% in the other direction and threw the 172 code which is extremely odd. The bad SCIP could cause this, but I don't think both codes would be thrown, because that would mean the PCM knows the SCIP is bad but is also fueling based on its readings which it shouldn't do. You could have a bad scip or maf really. Do you have HPTuners? I would unplug the scip and then monitor your fuel trims to see if they come back in the positive range. SCIP is only there to run checks to ensure the electronic throttle and MAF/MAP/TPS1&2 are working correctly.
Sounds very...uh...smartish tuning wise? lol

I went to Autozone today and rented a OBD II scan tool to read the DTC's. I love the idea of tuning, but never spent the money on HPT because I know I would do more harm than good with it. I've seen a lot of people blow their engines on here by trying to tune themselves. That's why I was going down to TTP in Jersey to have it dyno tuned. Safe measures, you know?

Basically, what you're saying is that the Inlet pressure sensor on the M62 is there to monitor several functions. By using HPT I could check the values on the fuel tables to see if they're running within proper paramaters?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:29 PM

Sounds very...uh...smartish tuning wise? lol

I went to Autozone today and rented a OBD II scan tool to read the DTC's. I love the idea of tuning, but never spent the money on HPT because I know I would do more harm than good with it. I've seen a lot of people blow their engines on here by trying to tune themselves. That's why I was going down to TTP in Jersey to have it dyno tuned. Safe measures, you know?
Yeah, that is a stumper. I mean my understanding is the SCIP shouldn't influence air metering, but I would definetly unplug it for the hell of it and find some way to check trims after they relearned. All my logs and dickin around with hpt tells me it shouldn't change but to have the trim system go 40% in the other direction, it would almost have to. I dunno. Sounds like a 6 pack tuning session to me tho.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:32 PM

I'd buy you a case if you drove up from pitt, lol...

I guess I'll have to see what everyone else says...
Old 03-27-2007, 10:08 PM

Erik, if you could do me a favor when talking to Mev tomorrow. Could you ask him to kindly respond to my 2 e-mails (one is for the refund on the stock cores and the other is about my car problems), its been over 2 days now since sent. I also got your message and saw your post there. Thanks again for the update. As for me, no updates as of yet, should know more tomorrow hopefully, I'll keep you and everyone else posted.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:22 AM

Hopefully there will be some good news coming around soon for everyone. Otherwise...JBP is gonna have themselves ALOT of bad news for refunds and what-not.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:49 PM

Erik, if you could do me a favor when talking to Mev tomorrow. Could you ask him to kindly respond to my 2 e-mails (one is for the refund on the stock cores and the other is about my car problems), its been over 2 days now since sent. I also got your message and saw your post there. Thanks again for the update. As for me, no updates as of yet, should know more tomorrow hopefully, I'll keep you and everyone else posted.
Mev said he responded to your e-mail this morning. That is all...
Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 PM

Now all u guys who have the cams installed already still have the stock or GM Stage 2 tune correct? So the car runs rich already to begin with and with the cams it runs a little richer. Now I have the Intense Stage 5 tune in my car and possibly was looking into getting the GM Stage 3 computer. But if i keep the Intense Stage 5 PCM in it doesn't run as rich as the GM Stage 2 computer I know i could still possibly run into tuning problems as well but maybe not as bad because the car doesn't run as rich as a car with the GM Stage 2 tune. I would obviously still get it tuned but i'm just trying to think and add to what could have gone wrong. I'm no expert though
Old 03-28-2007, 03:27 PM

Shouldnt a cam lean the car out?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 PM

No..Cams are actually supposed to richen her up. At least that's what I have been told from our local Speed shop guru..lol
Old 03-28-2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS422
Now all u guys who have the cams installed already still have the stock or GM Stage 2 tune correct? So the car runs rich already to begin with and with the cams it runs a little richer. Now I have the Intense Stage 5 tune in my car and possibly was looking into getting the GM Stage 3 computer. But if i keep the Intense Stage 5 PCM in it doesn't run as rich as the GM Stage 2 computer I know i could still possibly run into tuning problems as well but maybe not as bad because the car doesn't run as rich as a car with the GM Stage 2 tune. I would obviously still get it tuned but i'm just trying to think and add to what could have gone wrong. I'm no expert though
DONT GET THE STAGE 3 PCM. it isn't tuneable it won't work with 60# injectors and everything it can do hp tuners can do better. plus you'll loose ac with stage 3.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
No..Cams are actually supposed to richen her up. At least that's what I have been told from our local Speed shop guru..lol
the cams have richened my car bigtime

Quick Reply: JBP Cams, Installed Pics & Vids Thread