Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

My new car, cobalt to resume later...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new car, cobalt to resume later...

So I am putting a stock motor back into my cobalt after many long years of building, blowing up, rebuilding, re-modifying to make more power, re-modifying again to try to make more power, blowing it up fully built motor, rebuiding, was about to go w/ an ITB and crazy setup that is estimated for around 300whp (that will be done in the years to come).

The cobalt is now going to be converted back to stock, built motor will be seeing the engine stand to get work done and money will now be spent on bills including another car payment...

This is what I am now paying for... plus this car will now get about $5grand dumped into it this winter when she gets parked. Rims, coilovers, ss brake/clutch lines, upgrades brakes, full boltons, oil cooler, ast mod, new rad, 14psi, "reliability mods", tune, tint, gauges n turbo timer, etc

So in a few years, I will come back to the cobalt to complete my quest of 300whp 2.2l N/A but if that is not achieved I will be going with the garrett turbo kit that was offered w/ a gt3076r turbo that I have sitting waiting to go on after I am done playing around N/A lol I will be daily driving the Cobalt for this winter until I get another civic to beat around so I can put the motor back in. Too bad the ss/sc body kit, lowered, rims, full bolted on and tuned n/a 2.2l is only going to be putting out 165whp at best for the next about year lol

Cool thing is that I hear the RX is a 11sec car with just full bolt-ons, that is going to be scary fun... ~2800# going 11s
Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 AM

LSx swap....get rid of that Rotary while you have the chance!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm gunna leave this here Jeff's RX7-LS1-Turbo
Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 AM

Drool.... Love that Style RX7
Old 07-28-2011, 11:34 AM

Nice find! Looks very clean. Hows the interior?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by newt
this
Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 PM

If your motor is in good shape you can sell it for a good portion of what an LSx swap will cost you, and a all aluminum LSx is lighter than the 13b too!

An LS2 swapped FD is my dream car.....so I'm super jelous you own half of my dream...haha
Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM

lol 13mpg around city, havent gotten a highway trip yet but expenting only 20mpg lol i love the sound of the rotary and it runs great for me. if you take care of them properly and mod them to stay cooler they are much more reliable

Originally Posted by 1AJeremyD
Nice find! Looks very clean. Hows the interior?
the whole car is mint. just under 46K miles now, i got it w/ 45127 miles lol. one little wear mark on driver seat but its barely there and the rest of the car is just as clean lol they all come w/ a yellow enkei spare

If your motor is in good shape you can sell it for a good portion of what an LSx swap will cost you, and a all aluminum LSx is lighter than the 13b too!

An LS2 swapped FD is my dream car.....so I'm super jelous you own half of my dream...haha
maybe when i pay it off in 3 years ill do it, i have looked much into them and the rotary, even rebuilt a rotary 13b turbo II 2nd gen a few years back. they are easy to understand and build just like a piston motor if you know what you are doing. for now im just going to keep the stock setup, do some small boltons and all the 'reliability mods' and most suspension mods and rims. i was thinking to put the vette motor from the z06 next to it in it one day haha
Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 PM

That isn't bad at all! Definitely going to be a fun ride.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
do as everyone else says, LSX swap. LS1 with a LS3 head and cammed is a awesome deal of fun for that car.

actually take the motor out of the blue car next to it and throw it in there, lol.

There are LSX swap kits for that car.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 AM

yes, i know all about those and have ridden in a ls4 swapped fd3, almost scary fast lol it was all built up motor. it blew away my friends ls4 c6 vette w/ heads cams full bolt ons, tune 504whp
Old 07-31-2011, 11:24 AM

Nice find! Those cars are hard to find
Old 07-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotarys dont make reliable power lol.... Like every one is saying ls series swap or even my favorite setup and prob cheaper then a ls.. 1jzgte.....put a head gasket on there single turbo gt35, 650cc injectors and of course a r154 or built w58 tranny and raise boost up with a piggy back system and u will love it......
Old 08-01-2011, 03:44 PM

if i was going to do all that i would just put a 4 rotor into it w/ a nice big turbo lol million times better sound then an LS w/ build

its a nice ride, quick enough for now (could prob do a 13.9 pass atm) and with under $2000 i could be in the 11s. reliability... i have seen plenty of guys running at the track almost every week and driving it as a toy and they get 80-100k out of them. if you know how to take care of them, they will last longer, they dont last like a piston motor but if i wanted a piston motor i woulda bought a new camaro or z06. i like the sound of the rotary and im looking to keep this car in "mint" condition so its worth more 10 yrs from now, not destroy the integrity of the mazda rx7 by putting an american v8 in it. I enjoy the car but this is by no means where I am going to stop and keep forever. I am looking to make money out of this thing after i pay it off, I got it for almost half of blue book dealer suggested price. After the rx7 i am going to probably try to get a lotus exige or maybe a 2jz supra (if i can find one that is clean enough for my standards) or maybe something newer along those lines. Maybe move to a porche lol or other exotic
Old 08-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Former Vendor

What a great find! The car is looking in good condition!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM

lucky bastard!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dayta
lucky bastard!
haha will be lucky when i pay this thing off. heres 4 more yrs of car payments lol worth it

Originally Posted by r1concepts
What a great find! The car is looking in good condition!
thanks, it really is. its next to mint. i cant even find spots in the interior that are dirty lol it was garage kept, a/c and heated yr round its whole life.

I am in the process of adding mods, i have the rx8 spark plugs, vacuum lines w/ worm clamps, metal ast tank, boost controller, boost gauge, wideband o2, egt, water temp, oil temp, hks air filter. soon to have megan racing catless dp.

no gauges are installed yet nor the boost controller. need a gauge pod still lol and still debating between egt and water temp gaguges

hopefully going to make it to the track this year with it. hoping to have just the catless dp and air filter for power mods, run stock 10psi n see if i can hit a 13.8, after intake, i/c piping, i/c, full exhaust, 12psi and tuned it should be hitting 11s (atleast with some better tires lol)
Old 08-05-2011, 07:16 AM

very nice FD, I've always been a fan of montego blue

nope

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
do as everyone else says, LSX swap.
nope again

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
Rotarys dont make reliable power lol.
yea your right, winning at LeMans has nothing to do with that

Last edited by ROTARYFDTT; 08-05-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by ROTARYFDTT

nope

nope again

lol. thank you, i am a fan of it myself, stare at it waaayy too much cuz its always looking different lol. you got a nice setup on yours i see
Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 PM

whats your torque numbers gonna be? lol
Old 08-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple
whats your torque numbers gonna be? lol
mine? with the rx or cobalt?

rx i have no idea what to expect. im just going to do full boltons and tune for 12-14psi. need to do the ignition/fuel upgrades also but ill buy everything i need for supporting mods. whatever it makes itll make n ill be happy w/ it. its gonna run faster than the z06 next to it so what do i care what the numbers are. the vette went 12.0x
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 AM

hahahaha gotta love that comment get rid of the rotary while you can. L61 swap the 7 lol
Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Banned

Winning lamans once.... Lol it was also what a 4 rotor engine. R26b4........ That engine was made for reliability read up on it bro.. Rotorys are known for being ****..... People can build all they want they are still unreliable power makers..][/B]Oh
Originally Posted by ROTARYFDTT
O

nope

nope again

Old 08-09-2011, 12:53 PM

Me thinks you won't be touching the Cobalt ever again
Old 08-09-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MP Cobalt
hahahaha gotta love that comment get rid of the rotary while you can. L61 swap the 7 lol
haha yea i do. umm if i could find a rwd tranny to fit it and fit in the 7 (asian trans from sky/solstice?) maybe lol the motor is build off the GM 1600hp book, so why not put it to use lol gotta chill more and cruise sometime

Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
Winning lamans once.... Lol it was also what a 4 rotor engine. R26b4........ That engine was made for reliability read up on it bro.. Rotorys are known for being ****..... People can build all they want they are still unreliable power makers..][/B]Oh
they only won 1 year cuz the 4 rotor is a 2600cc and 3500cc was made max size minutes after they won the race. and the WHOLE REASON THE 787B WON was because of how RELIABLE it was and how LITTLE fuel it used. Now that you say they arent reliable and the leamanns race says differently... i am confused. who to listen to? and yes it was a 4 rotor, 2.6l where as the qualifying cars all got pushed back 6-7 pole positions for the 3.5l motors to get those spots. Wow, that even seems more unfair... u qualify for 12th w/ a 2.6 but have to start 19th cuz the 3.5l that didnt qualify that high got the first 6-7 spots... yea keep talking yourself into a hole. RELIABILITY RUNS IN HOW YOU TREAT THE CAR.

AND TUNING. a great tune can help longevity of a motor. a great tune pushing ***** to the wall power lets a motor run good but all that power wears down on motor n eventually it dies. a shitty tune can kill a freshly rebuilt or even off showroom floor motor in 1 pull.

your battle you are fighting is pointless and shitty. i have seen ppl blow up piston motors at 20-30k and same w/ rotary motors. i have seen a few rotaries last 120k and piston motors maybe 300k but NOBODY WHO OWNS A ROTARY IS GOING EASY ON IT, DUH! they spent the money on the car to drive the damn thing, not baby it and see how long they can make the motor last, they have the money to buy a $20k car and the money into it as they see fit (even if its a motor rebuild). i would take a 4rotor sound over any other motor any day but dont get me wrong... I love my cobalt and miss the hell out of my civic hatch

Originally Posted by IonNinja
Me thinks you won't be touching the Cobalt ever again
hahahahahaha yea. but i have to touch it to get it inspected. i have removed the sway bars for the strut tower bars i used. need to put the ST front and rear back on, probably gonna keep the f&r stb plus f&r sway bars that i took off. it was too stiff for auto-x back then for my likings. Still need to remove the 2.4 TB and IM also and put stock tune back on it to use the car for work n run 87 (drive 50 miles a day to n from work... construction lol) but yea, that is almost how i feel. i have the rx so why mod the cobalt lol after i get another civic hatch i will be putting my built motor back in w/ an ITB setup and a do5 meth nozzle w/ a 90/10mix. i was a do3 w/ 75/25 mix before to hit 252whp n/a

have you dyno'd the ion yet?

Quick Reply: My new car, cobalt to resume later...