Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

Tonights track vids

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonights track vids

First race is me vs. my friend James and his 03 AWD Silverado SS:
  • Me: Corsa catback & Custom tune by me & my friend Charlie. (Removed tailgate)
  • Him: Volant RAI, HPE Tune, Custom dual exhaust, under drive pullies. (Removed tailgate, spare)

Second is our other friend Kevin. He has the fastest known N/A 5.3l RCSB pick-up in the world (12.4 is his best). His mods are full bolt-ons TR224 cam and a Vigilante 3200 stall. He was trying out DR's tonight since he hasn't gotten his new ET streets..couldn't get traction for crap all night lol.

And third is our other friend Colby. He just swapped out his 4.8l for a 6.0l LQ4 with a cam. Not too bad for an extended cab with a different motor and cam with out a tune! It'll hit 13's easy once it's tuned and the weather is cooler.

Click here to download HRP 8-21-06.wmv
Old 08-21-2006, 02:38 AM

Good Shiznat, what else you got planed for it?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rangerondubz
Good Shiznat, what else you got planed for it?
I plan to get a stall next. I can’t decide between a Yank TT2800 or TT3000 torque converter. After that I’ll be getting long tube headers and a catted O/R Y-pipe. Most people are seeing high 13’s with a low stall, full exhaust and a tune. I want to see how fast she’ll go with all the bolt-ons before I decide to cam it. It’s really funny but I have never had as much fun modding a vehicle like I have with the truck. The parts (besides blowers of course) that make huge differences are relatively cheap and easy to install.

I wish more people in Houston would run their SS’s! Every time I go out to HRP I don’t ever see any model Cobalt running. Always some SRT-4’s though. Most SRT-4’s out there were running 14.7-14.2 LOL, sad. There was one or two that ran a high 13.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:17 PM

wow, those trucks are ****** fast....awesome vid dude....anyways, are any of you guys members over at fullsizechevy.com? I think i've seen a couple of those trucks in the picture section...I used to be on that site all the time before i traded my sierra in....
Old 08-22-2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by lilredexpreSS
wow, those trucks are ****** fast....awesome vid dude....anyways, are any of you guys members over at fullsizechevy.com? I think i've seen a couple of those trucks in the picture section...I used to be on that site all the time before i traded my sierra in....
Thanks man!

I'm a member on there but I've never posted. My other friends are on there though! It's a pretty cool site, lots of info to learn between there and performancetrucks.net.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:53 AM

hey tofu i dont know a whole lot about trucks and aerodynamics but ive always heard that is a myth that trucks are more aerodynamic without a tailgate/or with it down, is this not true?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
hey tofu i dont know a whole lot about trucks and aerodynamics but ive always heard that is a myth that trucks are more aerodynamic without a tailgate/or with it down, is this not true?
Yep, definitely a myth! You know that the area immediately behind the cab creates a nice low-pressure zone at speed. The rest of the truck bed is low pressure as well, and at highway speeds, the 'stagnant' air in the truck bed creates a sort of "bubble" of immobile air. The incoming air stream over and around the cab "sees" this still air as a barrier, and largely flows right over it as if it were solid - reaping some of the proven benefits that you get if you have a solid bed cover. If the tailgate is down or a net is in place, this bubble of relatively still air doesn't get a chance to form, and the result is a less aerodynamic rear half of the truck.

The only beneficial thing to do is a bed cover, because it takes away the air "bubble" which is designed to mimic a flat surface and replaces it with a real one.

I actually got proof of it myself last night when I ran .2 slower with a .1 better 60ft with the tailgate off than I did 20 minutes previously with my tailgate on and up. My mph was slower as well, despite the lighter weight.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tofu
Yep, definitely a myth! You know that the area immediately behind the cab creates a nice low-pressure zone at speed. The rest of the truck bed is low pressure as well, and at highway speeds, the 'stagnant' air in the truck bed creates a sort of "bubble" of immobile air. The incoming air stream over and around the cab "sees" this still air as a barrier, and largely flows right over it as if it were solid - reaping some of the proven benefits that you get if you have a solid bed cover. If the tailgate is down or a net is in place, this bubble of relatively still air doesn't get a chance to form, and the result is a less aerodynamic rear half of the truck.

The only beneficial thing to do is a bed cover, because it takes away the air "bubble" which is designed to mimic a flat surface and replaces it with a real one.

I actually got proof of it myself last night when I ran .2 slower with a .1 better 60ft with the tailgate off than I did 20 minutes previously with my tailgate on and up. My mph was slower as well, despite the lighter weight.
so why are you doing it???
Old 08-22-2006, 08:50 AM

actually wait, nevermind.

bed time

Last edited by IonNinja; 08-22-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:00 AM

so why are you doing it???
Oh I only tried it once (of course the video captures my slowest run of the night), mainly to see if the weight savings would outweigh-no pun intended-the increased drag performance wise. Turns out 60lbs less isn’t worth it at all lol.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:08 AM
360 L337 User

too many people are downloading.. stop it so I can see it
Old 08-22-2006, 12:00 PM

Oh I only tried it once (of course the video captures my slowest run of the night), mainly to see if the weight savings would outweigh-no pun intended-the increased drag performance wise. Turns out 60lbs less isn’t worth it at all lol.
and what was your pass, one of the numbers didnt light up
Old 08-22-2006, 01:45 PM

and what was your pass, one of the numbers didnt light up
That run was a 15.29 @ 89.53 I believe.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:29 PM

That run was a 15.29 @ 89.53 I believe.
sad part is that with a good light you would probably outrun a lot of stock ss/sc's
Old 08-22-2006, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool vidoes, tell your buddies in the truck that they will get better timesif they have the tailgates on and up. Having the tailgate down or off actually creates more drag for the truck, look it up if you dont believe me.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by -Jayson-
cool vidoes, tell your buddies in the truck that they will get better timesif they have the tailgates on and up. Having the tailgate down or off actually creates more drag for the truck, look it up if you dont believe me.
please try reading the entire thread before posting
Old 08-26-2006, 12:05 PM

geek

i know I am going to sound like a geek saying this, but they even proved the tailgate theory on MYTHBUSTERS! keep it up! i went to the drags here a couple of weeks ago, and all the trucks that ran had the tailgate down, when ever we said anything amongst ourselves about it, people gave us the most confused look ever. i don't even want to know what they were thinking!
Old 08-26-2006, 07:41 PM

I plan to get a stall next. I can’t decide between a Yank TT2800 or TT3000 torque converter. After that I’ll be getting long tube headers and a catted O/R Y-pipe. Most people are seeing high 13’s with a low stall, full exhaust and a tune. I want to see how fast she’ll go with all the bolt-ons before I decide to cam it. It’s really funny but I have never had as much fun modding a vehicle like I have with the truck. The parts (besides blowers of course) that make huge differences are relatively cheap and easy to install.

I wish more people in Houston would run their SS’s! Every time I go out to HRP I don’t ever see any model Cobalt running. Always some SRT-4’s though. Most SRT-4’s out there were running 14.7-14.2 LOL, sad. There was one or two that ran a high 13.
Damn, dude, i ran my HHR out there last night 8-25-06, too bad we couldnt have meet up dude. Nice to see some trucks out there, my buddy from work broought out his 499CI BB truck, im sure woulda been nice for all yall to run...