Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2.2 ls = pos

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.2 ls = pos

I pulled out of my garage yesterday and seen a dot of a see through oil on the ground.
It worried me as I have only 57000 miles on my Cobalt LS.

I looked for the source and found it on the passenger side almost in alignment to the CV boot.
It was however coming off the bottom of the motor block.

I smelled it and it was kind of sweet.

When I made it to work, I was curious to check after shutting off the car, and now it was a big leak.

I monitored my temp the whole way to work, but the temp was anywhere from 180 to 195.

I checked the fluid levels on everything even though I knew color wise it was not oil, or brake fluid.

I did not think it was coolant as it was see through either.
Well, it is...

What a huge POS this car is. The water pump sprung a leak at 57k miles...

I asked about this at the repair shop and they told me the Dexcool should be changed a lot sooner than 100k miles as it is very acidic.

For me, I did... It was done at 40k miles. I had the whole system flushed and replaced the thermostat.

I hate to say this, but I am no longer happy with my car.

The steering wheel rattles...
-he brakes make the wheel shimmy to a stop...
-it pulls right when I take off even when the car just got an alignment...
-my radio on the second preset sometimes is unresponsive and it also randomly makes the display on the radio all broken up looking
-my gas mileage used to be 31-32mpg average and now is always 29-30 even though my route and driving habits are the same and my tire pressure is fine, and air filter is clean along with the fact I always get the oil done at 3k...
has the dumb design where it costs $620 to replace a water pump due to location...
fuel filters costs WAY too much and has one in the tank and one under the car...
I am actually now thinking about trading this hunk...

Seems like this thing is only designed to ensure the continued cash-flow for a &#@% mechanic.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Weird, Only problem ive had is struts and bushings. Im at 60K miles. Idk maybe you got a lemon but these cars are cheap for a reason.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i beat the **** out of my 5 and the only problem has been ripped CV boot and steering shaft/motor problems.

maybe your car was built on a friday
Old 11-05-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Weird I only had self induced problems with mine. Fuel Filter is cheap btw and super easy to change.

If you had the water pump fixed, i bet someone fucked it up, hence you current leak.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:23 PM

have had my car for over 3 yrs now its a 2.2 ls no problems so far cept the hvac blower going out.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I supercharged my LS and beat on it everytime I drive it.Only problems are problems I caused or normal maintenance items.Im also at 93K miles.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Ive got a 2.2 ls and the only prob ive had was water not shootin at the windshield, and a misfire everynow and then
Old 11-05-2011, 06:00 PM

i put 50k on my 05 Cobalt base coupe (LS equivalent) inside of a year and only had paint and radio issues, all covered under warranty.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There ecnobox's.. I had 80k on my turbo 2.2L had 100+whp over stock and never had an issue. Hit and miss i guess.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
There ecnobox's.. I had 80k on my turbo 2.2L had 100+whp over stock and never had an issue. Hit and miss i guess.
please come to england and install my kit for me
Old 11-05-2011, 07:33 PM

106k on my 2.4. Nothing too terrible except for an AC Compressor taking a ****. Everything else is sensors including the thermostat. Thats why you invest in a WARRANTY. **** happens with any car. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but everyone here is right. It's a cheap car for a reason.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mike85220
I pulled out of my garage yesterday and seen a dot of a see through oil on the ground.

I looked for the source and found it on the passenger side almost in alignment to the CV boot.
It was however coming off the bottom of the motor block.

I smelled it and it was kind of sweet.

When I made it to work, I was curious to check after shutting off the car, and now it was a big leak.

I monitored my temp the whole way to work, but the temp was anywhere from 180 to 195.

I checked the fluid levels on everything even though I knew color wise it was not oil, or brake fluid.

I did not think it was coolant as it was see through either.
Well, it is...

What a huge POS this car is. The water pump sprung a leak at 57k miles...

I asked about this at the repair shop and they told me the Dexcool should be changed a lot sooner than 100k miles as it is very acidic.

For me, I did... It was done at 40k miles. I had the whole system flushed and replaced the thermostat.

The steering wheel rattles...Uh, you notice that more with any electric power steering rack
-he brakes make the wheel shimmy to a stop...Thats called warped rotors.
-it pulls right when I take off even when the car just got an alignment...Thats called torque steer
-my radio on the second preset sometimes is unresponsive and it also randomly makes the display on the radio all broken up looking We don't have killer radios, its an eco box
-my gas mileage used to be 31-32mpg average and now is always 29-30 even though my route and driving habits are the same and my tire pressure is fine, and air filter is clean along with the fact I always get the oil done at 3k... Wow, big deal
has the dumb design where it costs $620 to replace a water pump due to location... All 4 cylinder water pump jobs are a pain. You don't want to pay the money then do it yourself and stop complaining about a service your paying for, auto repair is not a charity.
fuel filters costs WAY too much and has one in the tank and one under the car...Sigh...
I am actually now thinking about trading this hunk... Good luck, maybe your next car will be indestructible

Seems like this thing is only designed to ensure the continued cash-flow for a &#@% mechanic.
Another ******* on this site that has something against mechanics. We do the work you request under a fixed rate that is set for each job. Doing a water pump on this car ain't no walk in the park, which is the reason you can't do it yourself and have to pay for someone else to do it. Stop ******* complaining about the price of the labor and if you got a problem with paying for a service go do it yourself. You expect your car to be worked on for 50 bucks? All the problems and **** you listed don't effect the car what so ever. Yeah water pump at 57k~ sucks but **** happens.

Last edited by Phil424; 11-06-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

What a huge POS this car is. The water pump sprung a leak at 57k miles

so let me get this right;
your complaining that your car at over fifty-seven thousand miles, needs maintenance?

news flash, every car will need maintenance, just like this.

here's a logical solution to save you from vehicular maintenance headaches in the future;
1) sell your car
2) take transit/taxi for the remainder of your life.

1) The steering wheel rattles...
2) the brakes make the wheel shimmy to a stop...
3) it pulls right when I take off even when the car just got an alignment...
4) my radio on the second preset sometimes is unresponsive and it also randomly makes the display on the radio all broken up looking
5) my gas mileage used to be 31-32mpg average and now is always 29-30 even though my route and driving habits are the same and my tire pressure is fine, and air filter is clean along with the fact I always get the oil done at 3k...
1) could be worn brakes, wheels no longer in balance, tires worn irregularly, damage caused alignment to be out
2) could be worn brakes, or wheels are out of balance, or worn/damaged alignment items
3) could be from dragging or unevenly worn brakes, or a tire issue
4) radio malfunctions should be covered under warranty - or you could use it as an excuse to upgrade to a navigation radio
5) you're really complaining about 2mpg's? ~ the easiest explanation here is that you're using a different supplier, or the local gas blends have changed;
you do realize that more ethanol equates to worse mileage right? - many smaller/independent chains will place additives in their gas to get them more sales for the same amount of gas...

has the dumb design where it costs $620 to replace a water pump due to location...
fuel filters costs WAY too much and has one in the tank and one under the car...
do us a favor buy a POS like a tercel or a civic - then complain to their fan-boi's when you have to do regular maintenance.

Last edited by soundjunky; 11-06-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:49 AM

wait wait wait..... so you're telling me cars require routine maintenance!?! SAY IT AINT SO!!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:17 AM

I love mine and it's sc'd base model.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 AM

its the nature of the beast man, cars need work to keep them running top notch, some more than others but fact of the matter is this specific car is a high production model and some are bound to have more problems than others and thats no ones fault especially the mechanics, they need to collect a pay check every week too! But i can understand your frustration i owned a 2.2 LT before i picked up my SS and i went through LCA bushings like it was my job but other than that the car was solid. IMO for being an economy car the cobalts are decent rides and i think you should give you ride a second chance!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:37 PM

I understand others results in owning a Cobalt will vary, but this guy read it feeling this thread was meant to bash mechanics somehow...

"Another ******* on this site that has something against mechanics. We do the work you request under a fixed rate that is set for each job. Doing a water pump on this car ain't no walk in the park, which is the reason you can't do it yourself and have to pay for someone else to do it. Stop ******* complaining about the price of the labor and if you got a problem with paying for a service go do it yourself. You expect your car to be worked on for 50 bucks? All the problems and **** you listed don't effect the car what so ever. Yeah water pump at 57k~ sucks but **** happens."

I have read a lot of these Service complaints, and some people feel the same as me... I got a LEMON.

The point of my thread was -this car since nearly day one has had problems that have annoyed me and the straw that broke the camel's back was having the water pump pre-maturely die.

If you read this as a bash mechanics thread, then sorry. I did not mean for that.
I am upset at having to drop $700 on a car with only 57k miles- that sucks, plain and simple.

Having warped brakes around 40k miles, having a rattling sounding steering wheel since the second month of owning this Cobalt and clunk noises in the rear along with a pre-maturely ruined water pump at 57k has made me an unhappy customer.
I question Chevy and not the mechanic as the mechanic who fixed it did not do the damage. The part was defective, which is a quality control problem or it was installed wrong at the factory. That being said, the only thing I am disappointed in is Chevy.

I said this car seems to be made to feed mechanics money, that was sarcasm.
I am not blaming them... The symbols were me shouting at the screen while typing. Not saying I dislike mechanics. The mechanic that fixed my car, I am appreciative of. They did a seemingly good job, as it is running fine now.

I my Cobalt now. Better?

Sorry I did not look the thread over meticulously and edit it. If i did re-read it, I would have removed the &(^#. Especially since I typed it while being upset. I just lost $700 and don't know how to afford next month's rent now. I expected these type of repairs in another 43,000 miles, not now.

Chevy is the only thing I am disappointed in.
They designed it, and they built it...
and at $15,500 plus tax and so on, the water pump should not have died this soon.

A cheap car to me is like an Accent around $10k, and not $15.5k. Of course everyone will have their own opinion of cheap.

For me, I wrote this so others know that something like this could happen to them too.
The forum has shown me a lot of things for me to watch out for defect wise, like the power steering recall for example.

Anyways, sorry I put a frown on some people's faces, I am just trying to make some aware that a $700 repair may happen to them any second now. Having relatively low miles does not mean your water pump wont go out on you. If it does, we all know how important it is to spot something like this immediately. Further more, it is a repair that cannot be delayed, so basically, if you do not have around $700, you are taking public transportation.

That is why I look to these threads and expect it is why others do to.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM

so iv'e rebuilt one of these little shitty 2.2s and yes the water pump is a pain but it is a DIY job if you know how to swing a wrench and have the time.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:44 PM

Truth is, I have always been pro-Cobalt, but this financial hit has hurt me bad.
I feel that Chevy let me down, again.
Maybe I am reacting on emotion, but then again... who doesn't?

I might become re-attached to the car... It may take a while though.
Honestly, of all the cars I have owned, and I have had a lot... this one has been the most problematic at this level of mileage.

I know these motors are bullet-proof... But the accessories are seemingly low quality.
That is from what I gather surfing this Problems/Service/Maintenance board, and now from first hand.

The other problems were not like I said, the problem/problems that soured my opinion...
It was the recent repair cost, and wishing they did not design it so it takes so much work to swap a water pump.

Again, sorry if it sounded I was anti-mechanic... I am not.
Everyone- peace out
Old 11-06-2011, 07:56 PM

ive got 170k on mine and it runs like a champ. doesnt leak oil and ive never changed the dexcool out. in fact i am still on the factory clutch and brakes and brake pads. i also do 10k oil changes. and still get 35-38mpg. my balt is a tank. other than the cheap clearcoat job and the radio not ejecting cds its good. you cant drive.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Don't worry I am there with you. I have a 2 page list of things replaced under warranty. The car is a complete POS and I baby it. 55,000 Miles and runs like a TURD
Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kahless
ive got 170k on mine and it runs like a champ. doesnt leak oil and ive never changed the dexcool out. in fact i am still on the factory clutch and brakes and brake pads. i also do 10k oil changes. and still get 35-38mpg. my balt is a tank. other than the cheap clearcoat job and the radio not ejecting cds its good. you cant drive.
You still have the brake pads from when the car was manufactured and you have 170k on the ODO? No way you have any pad left what so ever.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

You bought a vehicle that is essentially nothing more than basic transportation. Its an economy car at an economy price. How much enjoyment do you really expect from it??

The steering wheel rattles...
Ok...

-he brakes make the wheel shimmy to a stop...
Thats because you need new brakes. Every automobile will do that when the brake rotors develop excessive runout which leads to the rotors becoming out-of-parallel.

-it pulls right when I take off even when the car just got an alignment...
Take it back to the alignment shop...once again, not the cars fault. Also, any car will pull right on a major road due to the crown of the road.

-my radio on the second preset sometimes is unresponsive and it also randomly makes the display on the radio all broken up looking
GM uses the radio in hundreds of thousands of cars, and they have proven to be quality units. Sounds like you got a defect issue with yours. These things happen.

-my gas mileage used to be 31-32mpg average and now is always 29-30 even though my route and driving habits are the same and my tire pressure is fine, and air filter is clean along with the fact I always get the oil done at 3k...
Wow...there are about 1,000,000 things that could have caused that slight of a change, its not the cars fault.

Water pumps don't commonly go on Ecotecs. Once again, you got an uncommon defect.

Fuel filters cost too much?? LOL, what are you like 16 years old?? Its a damn fuel filter, you are ridiculous.

Considering the only thing that went wrong on the car in 57,000 miles that requires a mechanic is the water pump, which should have been covered under the powertrain warranty anyway, you are blowing things way out of proportion.

You just sound like a chronic complainer, grow up and get a life, nobody wants to read you bitching about maintenance costs and little problems. Go buy a Honda or Toyota or Hyundai piece of **** and then you can go complain to them when you need to dish out $1,000 every 75K miles for a timing belt job.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by HyperMuffin
You still have the brake pads from when the car was manufactured and you have 170k on the ODO? No way you have any pad left what so ever.
Could be highway miles. I put 120k on rear brakes once and they were still fine when I sold the car. The front pads lasted over 80. That was maybe 30% highway miles.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:49 AM

mine are about 80% hwy miles and i downshift most of the time in the city instead of braking. so that makes that myth busted as well. i could take the front wheels off and get a pic some time soon if you need it. it has started squeeking now that its gotten cold but ive never heard them squeek in 6.5 years of owning that car .

Quick Reply: 2.2 ls = pos