Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2007 Front End Clunking

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Front End Clunking

ok forgive me for the post as I know there are many of them out there regarding cobalt clunking etc...

I just wanted to post as much info as I can to the noise I am hearing in hopes that it sounds the same as someone who has resolved it already>

Description of Noise:
Sounds like a loud clunking in the front suspension. Is sounds as if something is loose and rattling/clunking.

Conditions:
Pavement - no noise
small bumps/gravel - constant clunking
Turning does not appear to impact the issue at all.

Other notable observations:

It appears to be most noticeable when driving on gravel, at speeds between 5-30km/hr.

It is FAR more noticeable when "coasting" at slow speed.... in fact the clunking pretty much goes away when you accelerate, but as soon as you let off the gas... it is back immediately. It is as if something is hitting metal or something is loose somewhere that appears to be none issue when you are accelerating.

With my ear to the floor it sounds as if the noise is coming from the same area as where the rear bushing on the lower control arm would be.

While coasting at 15km and running beside the car, I can not here the noise from the outside, even with the hood open. But it can be heard clearly from inside the car.

What I have done so far:

Stab links replaced.
Right front lower Control arm replaced. I did this last night, and the bushings did not look terrible on the old one, although I could move the rear bushing back and forth with my fingers without much resistants. but certainly not worn away or even torn.
*** After I changed the right control arm and test drove it, the noise is still there but I would swear that the sound is now coming from left side whereas I was certain it was coming from the right side before changing the arm.

Next steps:
im thinking about lifting it up and just tightening every bolt I can find.
if that doesn't fix it, I guess ill change the left control arm even though it didn't look like the right one was too terrible? ( keep in mind I am no mechanic ) Only reason im thinking of changing the left control arm is because I could swear the noise moved to the left, which means maybe both arms making the noise and now it is fixed on right side so it just sounds like it moved,,, but was likely there all along and just not as loud as right side ( I dunno )

Other potential cuases ( again, im no mechanic so these might not be issues )

* I noticed when lifting both front wheels that the bold on top of strut mount has some wiggle room. As in, if the car is jacked up, tire hanging, I can see the bolt move up a couple mm's when I jack the tire up slowly before it hits the mount. ( ps: I literally heald my hand to the bolt while car was coasting and did not feel any vibration on bolt so kinda eliminated that from the problem/cuase of noise )

** I also noticed last night that there may be some play on the mounts that hold the steering rack? but just grasping at straws now

So with the conditions and observations, especially about hwo the noise goes away or disapates upon accelerating, can anyone point me in right direct....
Old 09-05-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Could be sway bar bushings. I think that's what is causing my clunking
Old 09-05-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
Control arm bushings are the most common cause. One can be bad without the other. On both of my SS's, driver side was fine, and the passenger side had to be cut out. Btw you dont need to replace the whole arm. Just the bushing.

Another possibility is that your strut mounts could be loose, or the bearing is destroyed. If they feel loose, so you definitely tighten them up.

You bushings inside the steering rack can also cause clunking, as well as your intermediate shaft. Get in your car, key in the on position, but do not start it. Shake your wheel back and forth. If you hear the same noise, it is one of those two.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Control arm bushings or endlinks caused my clunk in both my SS's
Old 09-06-2017, 11:13 AM

LCA bushing

ok well as noted I changed the passenger control arm and it seems as though the noise is on the left side now, or it used to be on both sides and I've just eliminated the right.. not sure

has anyone changed a control arm that didn't seem to be in bad shape and still fixed the noise? Or is it always quite obviouswhen the control arm was the issue.. as in torn up bushing etc...

Stabilizer arm seems firm
cant find/feel anything loose

stablizer arm bushings don't look great but they still feel firm

steering definitely doesn't effect noise, but accelerating definitely stops the noise

which parts/areas would be effected most be accelerating vs coasting?

struts? Mounts?
lct?

Last edited by langaan; 09-06-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 09-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
well if you changed the control arm and it went away on the right, its your bushings then. they may not look completely torn up...but they get worn out pretty fast. mine were toast on my car at around 60k miles.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
Either way, you should be doing it now before they get bad and you have to torch the bushing or cut the sleeve.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:30 PM

Fixed

fyi, just finished driver side control arm and no more clunking 👍

So both lower contril arms had weak rear bushings, although not torn up at all.

anyways, glad I did it myself instead of letting the local mechanic change front and back struts playing the guessing game