Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2nd gear Synchronizer went out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
2nd gear Synchronizer went out.

As the Title says. My 2nd gear Synchronizer went out... at least that's what I and the GM Tranny Tech thought. And I'm not sure when or how it happened... (kind of why I posted. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the Synchro's.

I was in Dayton, OH. I started my car and drove it from the Hotel I was staying at, to the Northbound I-75 on-ramp. Everything ran and sounded fine. I proceeded to get on to interstate 75 with a cruise speed of 80mph. Traffic slowed me down here and there... but the lowest gear I was ever in was 3rd gear. Along the way there were no funny noises or anything of that nature. I made my way up 75 to the Benchwood Exit... where upon I began my usual downshifting. I down shifted to 4th right away. At 60mph, I downshifted to 3rd... and 40 mph, I pushed in the clutch... moved the shifter from 3rd to 2nd. And it ground the hell out of 2nd gear. It sounded just like I hadn't pushed the clutch in far enough. I was wearing my Marine Corps boots which make it hard to feel anything, so I figured it was my fault. UNTIL, I took of from the red light. Every single time I shift to second from ANY gear... it grinds like crazy. All other gears work perfectly normal just as they have the last 17,500 miles. It pisses me off. The temperature today was 50F and when I got home at 2, I WOULD have gone driving, but since my car sounds like total ass going into second, that was canceled.

Soonest my dealership could schedule me in to tear my F35 apart is Monday! Damn, one ******* problem after another.
I'm curious as to how Synchro's go bad... and any other synchro info. Input appreciated! Thanks.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn you down **** every gear to stop? Your doubling your wear down.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Codyak Supercharged
I don't downshift, instead just go to neutral and coast.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by Codyak Supercharged
I don't always do it... only when I want to hear that exhaust rumble, pop, and crackle ! And that's how I like it! Saves brake pads too!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:18 PM

I have never heard of downshifting hurting a tranny, i have done it in every stick i have owned and never had a problem.

In fact it comes in handy around winter time as you can slow the car down and dont have to worry about locking the tires.

Or what if some guy swerves into your lane when your coasting in neutral, you think you going to have a better change of gettiong out of the way if you just have to hit the gas, or if you have to get it in gear and then hit the gas?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by JMAc88
I have never heard of downshifting hurting a tranny, i have done it in every stick i have owned and never had a problem.

In fact it comes in handy around winter time as you can slow the car down and dont have to worry about locking the tires.

Or what if some guy swerves into your lane when your coasting in neutral, you think you going to have a better change of gettiong out of the way if you just have to hit the gas, or if you have to get it in gear and then hit the gas?
Exactly. Downshifting doesn't hurt the tranny. So has anyone had this problem? Or know anything about the Synchro's? If so, how did GM fix it... and how long did it take.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JMAc88

I can get into gear rather quickly, and then my car has the power to get out the way.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:29 PM

I would think that they would have to tear down the transmission to replace them. I would also tell them to replace 2 gear also because it is most likely chipped now.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:12 PM

BECAREFUL with GM dealerships! Had mine in because it would not engage any gear. They removed the trans and tell me its internal and its my abuse that caused it. Well I went to the dealership after hours when I knew service was not going to be there. Sales guy let me in cause I said I needed my insurance card. Inspected my trans and found the shift lever roll pin broken!! No need to even remove the trans at all to do this! Next I had a big fight with the manger who had print outs of threads from this site proving I abuse my car. I was like fine, "Then tell me why you ripped out my trans and told me I needed a tear down when, I grabbed the the shift lever and stuck it in his face, little roll pin was the problem!" He was like ahhhh if thats the problem then we will fix it. So the still charged me $99, BUT I got a FREE car wash!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

My dealership is pretty cool when it comes to stuff. They all know me by now... I make frequent visits! I'll find out Monday, I suppose.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

I'm getting pretty good at double clutching this bitch. Downshifting is easy... up shifting is the bitch to time right.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:15 PM

so you dealer said it was the clutch for sure. Sneaky said he had this problem and it was the tluch.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:58 AM

My 2nd gear is going and unfortunately I have a SS. I took it to my purchasing dealer and they couldn't get it to duplicate. But fast shifting and downshifting(don't do this anymore I'm tired of the grind) you can hear it. So should I wait until it blows 2nd gear replace the stock shifter and take it to another dealership to have 2nd gear replaced?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:09 PM

I dirve my car fine tho, Im not sure why this happened.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by Ljavy17
so you dealer said it was the clutch for sure. Sneaky said he had this problem and it was the tluch.
No... it's the 2nd gear synchronizer... I have to Double clutch to Synchronize the gears myself.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

This is a good explanation and visual of how a Manual Transmission actually works. It explains Synchros at the bottom.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by Blackout06LS
My 2nd gear is going and unfortunately I have a SS. I took it to my purchasing dealer and they couldn't get it to duplicate. But fast shifting and downshifting(don't do this anymore I'm tired of the grind) you can hear it. So should I wait until it blows 2nd gear replace the stock shifter and take it to another dealership to have 2nd gear replaced?
That's probably the Synchro as well... What you need to do... is walk in to your service dept and ask for a Transmission tech to come on a ride along. That's all I did.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
That's probably the Synchro as well... What you need to do... is walk in to your service dept and ask for a Transmission tech to come on a ride along. That's all I did.
SS=No warranty.

Which from my SAFC-II guinea pig stage I think I voided everything(GM doesn't know) anyhow.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:32 PM

How can a SFAC void something from ur tranny.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Banned

well depends on how much downshifting you do. if you revmatch at like 3k thats fine but don't be going 80 in fourth and try to put it in 3rd without revmatching.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ljavy17
How can a SFAC void something from ur tranny.
Just pointing out my whole warranty is voided if I don't put stock stuff back on. I'm not letting another GM employee drive my car until then just in case. I know how much dealerships can be a PITA.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:02 PM

Sorry to get off topic but what is double clutching?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Banned

something that's done to bring the RPM's up so you can either get a turbo spooled up or to match the RPM's when downshifting. mostly it's used to keep RPMs up when racing to keep the car in it's power band or turbo spooled

atleast that's how i understand it.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by Cobalt Mav
Sorry to get off topic but what is double clutching?
If you look at that site that I posted... it'll help to explain some stuff. Basically, I take off in first gear... take it about 3k rpm... push the clutch in, take it out of gear... let the clutch out, so that the engine can bring the transmission speed down to 2k rpm (About where 2nd gear is when first is at 3k)... then I push the clutch in, shift into 2nd and let the clutch out.

For a down shift, it's the same only after taking it out of 3rd gear, I let the clutch out, tap on the pedal to make the transmission run at 3k rpm or so... then clutch in, shift to 2nd.

I highly recommend reading through this page:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

Explains a lot and uses pictures.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by eastcoastz
BECAREFUL with GM dealerships! Had mine in because it would not engage any gear. They removed the trans and tell me its internal and its my abuse that caused it. Well I went to the dealership after hours when I knew service was not going to be there. Sales guy let me in cause I said I needed my insurance card. Inspected my trans and found the shift lever roll pin broken!! No need to even remove the trans at all to do this! Next I had a big fight with the manger who had print outs of threads from this site proving I abuse my car. I was like fine, "Then tell me why you ripped out my trans and told me I needed a tear down when, I grabbed the the shift lever and stuck it in his face, little roll pin was the problem!" He was like ahhhh if thats the problem then we will fix it. So the still charged me $99, BUT I got a FREE car wash!
Hmmm... took my car in today. SO your dealership made the Abuse claim on their own. What my dealership does, is calls GM, and GM sends one of their minions to come look at the [insert high $$$ warranty item], and decide if they are at fault or not. He called me today and said they could have the GM guy here tomorrow... but that if they didn't cover it under warranty, it would cost me $500 JUST TO TEAR IT APART. And that is a discounted price... my dealership works decently hard for me now. SO I am going to wait... save up my $$$ and research some options. I was hoping the G6 F40 6-speed would bolt up... but it doesn't look that way. ANy Ideas for alternatives guys?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:19 AM

Please keep us updated after the GM rep sees ur car tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear Synchronizer went out.