Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2problems

1. Yesterday, while it was raining, i locked my brakes going around a bend and caught a drift across both lanes over a curb and into a parking lot, over all I slid about 1-200 feet. When I came to a rest it felt as if the wheel was bottom pointed in. I noticed it was driving hard on the front right wheel. I took it to a shop and they checked the allignment, perfect, checked the balance on the tires, pretty good, rims had a slight bend on the lips, the guys bent them back and rebalanced the tires but the guys told me that I "flat spotted" the tires' tred was bent the opposite direction from the rest of it. They said that it was still good but the tires will wear back to normal. Does any one know if this will affect anything long-term having this "flat spot"?

2. I bought a set of foglights at WalMart, don't laugh, I have them set up lights are connected well to the wires, all the connections are good, grounds are good, I do have the hot wire attached to the positive remote terminal post. The fuse keeps blowing in the system and I can not find anything wrong other than the fact it might be the hot not being attached to the actual battery. Any suggestions?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:58 AM

1) Your tires are fubar'ed. Wear like that may be masked by mileage but it doesn't go away. Granted you won't have any imbalance problems, but the tires will never feel the same again.

2) *laughs* Sorry.. which wires are you talking about? Did your vehicle come with fog lights?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:04 AM
Banned

1. How fast were you going?????

2. Find a different wire to or put a bigger fuse in. Preferably the prior.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:13 PM

1. I was going roughly 30-40mph.
2. No the car didn't. The lights have a black and a white quick connect and the black wire is grounded to the frame and the white runs to the switch. A red one runs from the switch to the battery but has a fuse in it before it hits the battery but instead of attaching to the battery I have it attached to the terminal in the engine compartment. The whole system is getting power. It came with a 15A fuse and I went through about 7 of them a 20A and a 25A so I don't think the fuse load is the problem. The directions show it hooking into the terminal clamp but 1. I don't have the wire length and 2. I don't want to put holes in the car to get it to the battery in the trunk( which I think was bad engineering on GM's part other than the fact it gives more room in the engine compartment).
Old 12-04-2005, 03:07 PM

Sounds like you got it wired up correctly. It shouldn't matter if you're running the hot off the stud or straight off the battery. It's 12v either way.
Maybe the lights themselves are bad. Return them and try another set.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kyyankee
1. Yesterday, while it was raining, i locked my brakes going around a bend and caught a drift across both lanes over a curb and into a parking lot, over all I slid about 1-200 feet. When I came to a rest it felt as if the wheel was bottom pointed in. I noticed it was driving hard on the front right wheel. I took it to a shop and they checked the allignment, perfect, checked the balance on the tires, pretty good, rims had a slight bend on the lips, the guys bent them back and rebalanced the tires but the guys told me that I "flat spotted" the tires' tred was bent the opposite direction from the rest of it. They said that it was still good but the tires will wear back to normal. Does any one know if this will affect anything long-term having this "flat spot"?
How bad are the "flat spots" on your tires?? If you can actually feel them going "bump-bump" as your driving, then they are probably pretty bad.

However, if they're only minor flat spots, then they should fade away as you put some more miles on them. If you want them gone sooner, do a nice burnout with the e-brake locked and smoke 'em until the flat spots are gone
Old 12-04-2005, 09:36 PM

Thats what I get for buy car parts at WalMart. I will take them back but its a hassel to get it back on. As for the tires you can see the flat spot and feel it but when I drive at low speeds in a parking lot or something I can really feel it however on the roads I don't feel it as much.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:43 PM

try doing a few burn outs itll wear them down better
Old 12-04-2005, 10:11 PM

for the fuse blowing out see if u got the wires connected into the correct spots on the switch. and make sure ur switch is grounded as well
Old 12-10-2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by wasey13
1. How fast were you going?????

2. Find a different wire to or put a bigger fuse in. Preferably the prior.
\

bigger fuse, bad idea. probably small guage wire, to put a bigger fuse in will just create
problems. the fuse is blowing becasue the circuit load is too high. if circuit load is 25 amps and it is blowing a 20 amp fuse, by putting in a 30 amp will possibly just burn wires, using them as a fuse instead. you need to figure out the circuit and just make sure they are wired correctly.